UConn Recruiting Speculation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can UCONN go after 6'6" players? I'm tired of reading about 6'2" and a point guard from Princeton at 5'9".
Go find one. It’s not like there are 50 elite level players. A girl that’s 6-5 or 6-6 is one of a tiny percentage of the population

You guys remember that 6-5 Gandy Malou-Mamel has committed to UConn, right?

How many 6-5 kids on this list?

Reaction Score
Go find one. It’s not like there are 50 elite level players. A girl that’s 6-5 or 6-6 is one of a tiny percentage of the population

It's the '26 class that UConn needs to concentrate on...........specifically that terrific 6'5" post who's going to school in Middle Village, Queens NY by the name of Olivia Kristjana Vukosa......THE BIG "O"!!!!! She's a once in a decade (or two) player who should lead UConn back to the promised land!!

Reaction Score

I also think people are forgetting about a certain 6-5 center (Jana El Alfy) that will be returning next season as well

Reaction Score
Interesting pipeline of bigs Geno may have lined up: Jana 2024, Gandy 2025, and if we’re lucky the Big O 2026
If Jana is (as I believe) a star, if Ice works hard over the summer, our post problems will no longer be an issue for the foreseeable future. They will take care of things for the next three years and will be joined by Gandy after next season and hopefully, by the Big ”O” the following year! Gandy, who was initially described as a “long shot project” is beginning (to my untrained eye) to show signs that, by the time she actually gets to Storrs, she may be a significant addition!

As for the Big “O”, she is being talked about as the most promising post in years. Further down the road we are apparently looking at eighth graders Sydney Bean and Ella Peper, (6’6” & 6’4” rspectively) ! Meanwhile, we are also looking at Leah Macy, Lara Somfai, Brynn McGaughey, & McKenna Woliiczko who are all 6’2”-6’4”!

As it stands right now, assuming good health, (a dangerous assumption, I know) we are imo, looking good in the post for at least three years And if we can get The Big “O”, then “Katy bar the door!“ we could be looking at a seven year run of dominant post play with exciting possibilities for an even longer stretch!

I realize that, at some point we are looking at the sad inevitability of Geno retiring. However, I believe he will stay as long as the job continues to “put some pep in his step” (I’m hoping for five more years). Perhaps that is foolish, wishful thinking, but there it is. Regardless though, I have confidence that he will be followed by as good a coach as can be found.
It‘s no secret that I’m hoping for Shea or Carla.

The material point though, is that (Knock on wood), it looks as though we are set for a possible several year stretch of a roster that could compare favorably to any roster in UConn’s legendary history!

Reaction Score
I don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news, especially after an intense game, but Sarah Strong just followed another Duke player. Hate to be a pessimist, but I’m thinking she ends up a Blue Devil.

Reaction Score
I don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news, especially after an intense game, but Sarah Strong just followed another Duke player. Hate to be a pessimist, but I’m thinking she ends up a Blue Devil

Love to have her, but I think we’ll be all right! She’s a great player and if she does go to Duke, they’re gonna be a tough team to beat, but with or without Sarah Strong, UConn is going to have an incredible roster for these next few years! We’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
Hope Sarah comes here, but if she doesn't and we get, let's say, Lara Somfai from Australia instead, I won't be unhappy

Lara is a ‘25, so I don’t think it’s either/or. I do think that Coach Valley will try and find some size and/or experience through the portal to fill the last roster spot.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hope Sarah comes here, but if she doesn't and we get, let's say, Lara Somfai from Australia instead, I won't be unhappy
Lara is a 6-4 G/F, not a center or power forward

D9F15814-F34F-4050-A8B4-0812EA1659E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news, especially after an intense game, but Sarah Strong just followed another Duke player. Hate to be a pessimist, but I’m thinking she ends up a Blue Devil.
I personally would love for Sarah Strong to join the Huskies. But if she decides to attend another institution, I’d wish her nothing but the best just the same. The decision is hers, as the ball now lies in her court. Go UConn! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Somfai is #3 on ASGR, Kelis is #13, and Gandy is now #

Not familiar with the evaluators at these ranking sites. Does anyone in the boneyard have a sense of which site typically has the best rate of success accuracy on the actual production of the recruit in college?

Maybe someone has done a spreadsheet analysis of some sort :D

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Well, my response is simply this...why would Sara Strong go through all the trouble to keep her decision close to the chest only to signal her choice by who she follows on facebook? I think kids just follow other kids and don't necessarily pay too much attention as to the team they play for. I think Sara's eventual choice will have little to do with who she follows on facebook.

Reaction Score
Somfai is #3 on ASGR, Kelis is #13, and Gandy is now #26!
I have been waiting for Gandy to pop up on lists for some time now, so this is very encouraging. With Somfai as well, knowing we are in the mix for a top rated recruit, and even with Kelis, her rating is quite a bit better than previous ones. Good news on all of them.

Reaction Score
Somfai is #3 on ASGR, Kelis is #13, and Gandy is now #26!
Lara Somfai, POI class of 2025, has listed five finalist WBB teams: UCONN, Stanford,
Tennessee, Duke, and Virginia Tech. For the Boneyarders who are Math/logic
aficionadoes, provide a logical (?) argument to contradict this syllogism (i.e..
deductive reasoning). Major Premise: Lara Somfai likes H.C. Kenny Brooks
Minor Premise: Kenny Brooks likes the University of Kentucky
Conclusion: Lara Somfai likes the University of Kentucky. My conclusion
is that Kentucky is (probably) " in the mix" but NOT competitive.... UCONN is
THE "LOGICAL" (non-mathematical) CHOICE! My argument is as follows (INDUCTIVE reasoning): based on inductive
"evidence" (i.e. the scientific reasoning based on the empirical "fact" of years of experiments/experience of
superiority on the courts). Thus, the new conclusion is: Empirical EVIDENCE trumps Mathematical Logic. Any Boneyard discussion?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not familiar with the evaluators at these ranking sites. Does anyone in the boneyard have a sense of which site typically has the best rate of success accuracy on the actual production of the recruit in college?

Maybe someone has done a spreadsheet analysis of some sort :D
I worked for a while with HoopGurlz so I have some insight on ranking methodology. We had a long-ish conversation on the criteria. Some examples of the difficulties:
  • I, personally, object to ranking point guards and centers on the same list because the skill sets are so different. I think it makes no sense.
  • What makes a player “great” is open to individual preferences. For example, some people look for athleticism while others think strong fundamentals are more important. Is a fabulous scorer a “better” player than a shut-down defender? How do you quantify those qualities?
  • How do you factor on-court demeanor, effort, and attitude? Sone people wanted to see a good teammate that’s active and engaged, even on the bench, while others felt it was a non-factor
  • Identifying the top 3-5 is somewhat easy but what makes #10 better than #15? Or #5 vs #25? What specific, quantifiable criteria can be used to decide which is which? (Hint, there are none)
  • Do we rank based on the skill sets/abilities we see today or are we looking for potential? Do we consider what schools are recruiting her? One criterion we considered was whether or not the recruit was a potential WNBA player. Does it look like the kid has reached her ceiling or does she have upside and, if so, how much?
Every ratings service has its own criteria. So, there are no services that can be considered more accurate than another, IMO. I suggest finding one that has opinions that align with your thinking and then follow them.

Reaction Score
I worked for a while with HoopGurlz so I have some insight on ranking methodology. We had a long-ish conversation on the criteria. Some examples of the difficulties:
  • I, personally, object to ranking point guards and centers on the same list because the skill sets are so different. I think it makes no sense.
  • What makes a player “great” is open to individual preferences. For example, some people look for athleticism while others think strong fundamentals are more important. Is a fabulous scorer a “better” player than a shut-down defender? How do you quantify those qualities?
  • How do you factor on-court demeanor, effort, and attitude? Sone people wanted to see a good teammate that’s active and engaged, even on the bench, while others felt it was a non-factor
  • Identifying the top 3-5 is somewhat easy but what makes #10 better than #15? Or #5 vs #25? What specific, quantifiable criteria can be used to decide which is which? (Hint, there are none)
  • Do we rank based on the skill sets/abilities we see today or are we looking for potential? Do we consider what schools are recruiting her? One criterion we considered was whether or not the recruit was a potential WNBA player. Does it look like the kid has reached her ceiling or does she have upside and, if so, how much?
So, there are no services that can be considered more accurate than another, IMO. I suggest finding one that has opinions that align with your thinking and then follow them.
Excellent behind the scenes insight, @HuskyNan. Thanks for this.

I’m often reminded of something Geno has said from time to time about his way of ranking kids. It’s something to the effect that scoring is less important to him than defense. Lots of hs kids can score, but he can’t build a team around that alone. But defense by its very nature requires a commitment to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom