UConn Recruiting Speculation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news, especially after an intense game, but Sarah Strong just followed another Duke player. Hate to be a pessimist, but I’m thinking she ends up a Blue Devil.
Perhaps she will attend the game in Portland. Great opportunity to see both teams, coaches and supporters in competitive action. I see choice coming soon after that event.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ranking services are probably getting better for women's basketball since the money involved in the game has gotten better. But there are still thousands of teams across a vast country, some who travel and others who don't, and there are some built in biases based on geography for most of the services. And that is before we deal with international players. So ... there are cracks in each ranking services where players can get missed. If you are looking at players on the top 50 HS teams, who also play on one of the top 'AAU' teams, then they are seen often and in competitive games and the rankings are likely pretty close between services.

And however good or bad a ranking service, the projection to the college ranks is problematic, because the college landscape is not homogeneous. Horses for courses as they say - great talent, wrong school, disappointing result, moderate talent, right school, surprising result.

How good are the final big boards in the NFL draft, and how well do they hold up four years later? That industry invests 100s of millions in the evaluation process of a much more limited field of college players and hits at maybe 30% of the top 32. And how much is that hit rate is a result of the right fit of player to team vs the inherent talent?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Excellent behind the scenes insight, @HuskyNan. Thanks for this.

I’m often reminded of something Geno has said from time to time about his way of ranking kids. It’s something to the effect that scoring is less important to him than defense. Lots of hs kids can score, but he can’t build a team around that alone. But defense by its very nature requires a commitment to the team.
Geno has also said that players either have/want to pass the ball, or learn to pass the ball, or it won't work at UConn.

Reaction Score

I’m often reminded of something Geno has said from time to time about his way of ranking kids. It’s something to the effect that scoring is less important to him than defense. Lots of hs kids can score, but he can’t build a team around that alone. But defense by its very nature requires a commitment to the team.
true but unless you are a post with great rebounding and shot blocking talent you're not going to play much if you can't shoot the ball......

Reaction Score
Interesting forum discussion but what is left unsaid is reasons why any recruit would hold out for so long. What would they be looking for that hasn't already been covered in visits, evaluations, various discussions over many weeks and months? You almost want to give a deadline and say if we don't hear from you within x, the offer is withdrawn. To me I would prefer someone who knew exactly pretty quickly that they wanted to play for UConn and be part of the Standard than someone who acts more like a prima donna. No thanks.

Reaction Score
Ranking services are probably getting better for women's basketball since the money involved in the game has gotten better. But there are still thousands of teams across a vast country, some who travel and others who don't, and there are some built in biases based on geography for most of the services. And that is before we deal with international players. So ... there are cracks in each ranking services where players can get missed. If you are looking at players on the top 50 HS teams, who also play on one of the top 'AAU' teams, then they are seen often and in competitive games and the rankings are likely pretty close between services.

And however good or bad a ranking service, the projection to the college ranks is problematic, because the college landscape is not homogeneous. Horses for courses as they say - great talent, wrong school, disappointing result, moderate talent, right school, surprising result.

How good are the final big boards in the NFL draft, and how well do they hold up four years later? That industry invests 100s of millions in the evaluation process of a much more limited field of college players and hits at maybe 30% of the top 32. And how much is that hit rate is a result of the right fit of player to team vs the inherent talent?
I think there's not necessarily a big talent gap between players ranked 40 and above and some who aren't ranked at all.......

Reaction Score
Well, my response is simply this...why would Sara Strong go through all the trouble to keep her decision close to the chest only to signal her choice by who she follows on facebook? I think kids just follow other kids and don't necessarily pay too much attention as to the team they play for. I think Sara's eventual choice will have little to do with who she follows on facebook.

Instagram, not Facebook. And why are we acting like following/interacting with more and more of your future teammates this late into your recruitment isn’t an indicator as to where a player might end up going? For those who follow closely, but on the outside looking in, this is the best way to tell and has often been a telltale sign of what’s to come.

Nothing’s set in stone yet, but following 3 current players and a ‘24 commit (all recently) obviously means something and is no coincidence, so I guess we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Interesting forum discussion but what is left unsaid is reasons why any recruit would hold out for so long. What would they be looking for that hasn't already been covered in visits, evaluations, various discussions over many weeks and months? You almost want to give a deadline and say if we don't hear from you within x, the offer is withdrawn. To me I would prefer someone who knew exactly pretty quickly that they wanted to play for UConn and be part of the Standard than someone who acts more like a prima donna. No thanks.

So someone waiting it out acts like a prima donna?? Maybe, just maybe, she wanted to finish her high school career before committing. Or maybe, just maybe she doesn't know where she wants to go. Calling someone a prima donna that hasn't made any kind of fuss about her recruiting or any kind of fuss at all is just wrong on every level. I'm not sure what you are saying no thanks to?? Ya know Geno recruit Reese, right??

Reaction Score
I don't know. When a kid holds out this long, I tend to think the issue is the stress of the decision and having to tell a bunch of coaches, "No, sorry I'm going somewhere else." I think this may be the issue given how quickly she ruled out SC and LSU after the debacle. It gave her an easy out. My biased Duke fan self says, she is choosing Duke and is nervous to tell the schools that have been recruiting her for years that she is going with the Dark Horse. LOL

Reaction Score
Not enough space to comment on how foolish a post this is

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Geno prefers versatile, multi-position players with good passing skills. He also looks for team-first players that hate to lose. And Geno has been pretty clear that consistent effort is required, no turning it on only when they feel like it

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
While most players make earlier decisions than Ms. Strong, that gives us supposed adults no cause to criticize her. She has chosen, perhaps with parental guidance or with personal preference alone, to be deliberate and thoughtful in making a decision that may have serious consequences for the next many years of her life.

I hope she chooses UConn. Whatever her choice, I respect her way of making that choice.

Reaction Score
"Calling someone a prima donna ... is just all wrong ..."

Yes, mea culpa. Calling someone who is still in high school seems a bit harsh and poor selection of words but there can be little doubt she is most certainly aware she is talented and sees how much publicity she has received while being the centre of attention as the #1 recruit. So we will all wait while she - and her parents no doubt - make up their minds. May the best school/team win.

Reaction Score
Geno prefers versatile, multi-position players with good passing skills. He also looks for team-first players that hate to lose. And Geno has been pretty clear that consistent effort is required, no turning it on only when they feel like it
Yes, that's all true. Rebecca said at one point a couple years back that he likes to have a few Evina-Aubrey-Kia-Gabby types every season, very athletic kids around 6' tall who run well, play fierce defense, and can be slotted in anywhere on the court. If all goes well, he's going to have a bunch of them next season in Aubrey-Morgan-Q-Paige and I'd even add Ayanna to this list given how well she runs the court.

Reaction Score
Whoa, I see I've ruffled some BY'ers. It's good to get some different opinions and controversy on this forum instead of everyone going along with each other typing out what looks like a harmonious kumbaya. There are definitely reasons why recruits will delay decisions. All I'm saying is there should be a limit to this. However, no matter what we think, we all need to be civil if objecting to someone's point of view. It's what any worthwhile discussion or even a debate is all about. Civility rules.

Reaction Score
Seeing that none of us is inside Sarah Strong’s headspace, maybe her decision is already made. And it’s also possible that she’s spoken to the coach of said school, and just want to make the announcement when she signs. Best wishes to her. Go Huskies! Go UConn!

Reaction Score
This is a thread to discuss known players of interest and other potential recruits. This thread is different from the monthly recruiting thread in that thread drifts and posters discussing their hopes on who comes to UConn aren’t allowed there. While this thread has more latitude, it’s still about the recruits, how they might fit into the team, who you wish to see come, deeper discussion about their skill sets, recent performances etc.
  • No transfer talk EVER (see the rules tacked at the top of the board)
  • No discussion of who is staying/going (discussion to this will result in the thread being shut down by the admins)
I saw ( weeks ago) that UCONN had made a scholarship offer to someone named Emely Gonzales ( a guard...not currently ranked in the top 100 recruits). Is this legit or an AI " bot?" If legit, has she committed? Gone elsewhere? There has been no follow up as far as I can see. Anyone know anything?

Reaction Score
I saw ( weeks ago) that UCONN had made a scholarship offer to someone named Emely Gonzales ( a guard...not currently ranked in the top 100 recruits). Is this legit or an AI " bot?" If legit, has she committed? Gone elsewhere? There has been no follow up as far as I can see. Anyone know anything?
I believe such an offer was made

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Emely Rodriguez has received an offer. She’s a 6-1 or 6-2 (seen both listed) wing, similar to Sarah’s size and position

. This is from last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak