UConn Recruiting Speculation | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a thread to discuss known players of interest and other potential recruits. This thread is different from the monthly recruiting thread in that thread drifts and posters discussing their hopes on who comes to UConn aren’t allowed there. While this thread has more latitude, it’s still about the recruits, how they might fit into the team, who you wish to see come, deeper discussion about their skill sets, recent performances etc.
  • No transfer talk EVER (see the rules tacked at the top of the board)
  • No discussion of who is staying/going (discussion to this will result in the thread being shut down by the admins)

Reaction Score

This is HUGE!! She is a player I really want! What all have you seen of Lara Somfai’s game that you liked, didn’t like? Do you think she’d be a good fit?

A post group of Ice, Jana, Leah Macy (hopefully), and Lara (hopefully) would be great

Reaction Score
A post group of Ice, Jana, Leah Macy (hopefully), and Lara (hopefully) would be great
Potentially add in Sarah Strong with that group too (not as a post player, but she undoubtedly will be helpful for rebounding and taking it strong to the rim). I always think big wings do well at UConn, and I just think Lara would fit right in and make an immediate impact.

KCD

Reaction Score
I saw a couple of posts in the previous version of this thread that were kind of down on Sarah Strong because she's not a big post player. I believe that she is the #1 ranked player in the class for a good reason and deserves it. I certainly hope that she picks UConn and I believe that she will make a big impact wherever she goes. At UConn, she will not be playing in the post, but she will still be able to bang with the big bodies down low (she did a lot of that in High school). She can also score at all three levels. She has very good handles, vision, and passing abilities. She is a very willing passer. She has great fundamentals (due to her parents pedigrees). She seems like a really good,grounded kid and should be a good teammate and willing learner. This sounds like a UConn player to me. I just hope that she chooses our team. I have been following her online for about 5 years and from the first time that I saw her, I knew that she was the best prospect in the class for UConn.

Reaction Score
I saw a couple of posts in the previous version of this thread that were kind of down on Sarah Strong because she's not a big post player. I believe that she is the #1 ranked player in the class for a good reason and deserves it. I certainly hope that she picks UConn and I believe that she will make a big impact wherever she goes. At UConn, she will not be playing in the post, but she will still be able to bang with the big bodies down low (she did a lot of that in High school). She can also score at all three levels. She has very good handles, vision, and passing abilities. She is a very willing passer. She has great fundamentals (due to her parents pedigrees). She seems like a really good,grounded kid and should be a good teammate and willing learner. This sounds like a UConn player to me. I just hope that she chooses our team. I have been following her online for about 5 years and from the first time that I saw her, I knew that she was the best prospect in the class for UConn.
Sarah is a very similar player to Shea Ralph, and both players have many things in common beyond just playing skills.

Reaction Score
Sarah is a very similar player to Shea Ralph, and both players have many things in common beyond just playing skills.
In temperament and basketball smarts, yes- but physically, Sarah is much bigger, and I think Sarah is a better shooter too. Her outside shot is really good- can't lay off of her or she'll nail the 3-pointer.

PvP

Reaction Score
I have been hopeful that Sarah has been waiting for AE to declare for the W before she finally commits to Storrs. Now that that has happened, we'll see if my Hope's become reality!

Reaction Score
IMG_1371.jpeg
Obviously this is a speculation thread and I’m not looking too far into this as evidence we’ve got a commitment from Sarah Strong. But did anyone see this clip of Geno from practice a couple days ago with his Boston Celtics sweatshirt on? It probably means nothing, but I could truly see Geno doing this on purpose as an inside joke with Sarah and her mom (Vice President of Team Operations for Boston Celtics). OR maybe Geno is just a Celtics fan lol

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In temperament and basketball smarts, yes- but physically, Sarah is much bigger, and I think Sarah is a better shooter too. Her outside shot is really good- can't lay off of her or she'll nail the 3-pointer.
Don't disagree about a different body type, but do not knock Ralph's shooting percentages:
#9 on career field goal % at Uconn .579 and the only one in the top ten to never play as a post.
2# in free throws made and #9 in free throw % at .814

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
View attachment 98036 Obviously this is a speculation thread and I’m not looking too far into this as evidence we’ve got a commitment from Sarah Strong. But did anyone see this clip of Geno from practice a couple days ago with his Boston Celtics sweatshirt on? It probably means nothing, but I could truly see Geno doing this on purpose as an inside joke with Sarah and her mom (Vice President of Team Operations for Boston Celtics). OR maybe Geno is just a Celtics fan lol
He knows a lot of NBA players and coaches, too. Kemba Walker played for them 3 years ago

Reaction Score
Potentially add in Sarah Strong with that group too (not as a post player, but she undoubtedly will be helpful for rebounding and taking it strong to the rim). I always think big wings do well at UConn, and I just think Lara would fit right in and make an immediate impact.
I agree she will definitely help on rebounding and scoring inside. I recall some prior posts referring to Sarah Strong as more of a perimeter player. She is a complete player. She is not a Wing. A Wing implies a SF/SG. Sarah is a combo SF/PF- not a SG. Along with being an excellent 3pt shooter she is also a terrific scorer inside. Below are highlights of Sarah going against 6'6 recruit Blanca Thomas going to UNC. Sarah scored 30 points. Note many of the highlights has her scoring inside. That's not a sg.

This is why some of us say Sarah would be such a perfect fit if she came to UCONN. She can score in an excellent manner both inside and out. She can rebound and pass very well also. That’s a perfect fit imo. For someone that goes against 6'6 and scored inside a lot vs that tall of a player well regarded as a reruit while going against #2 recruit Joyce Edwards and scores 31 points and has 19 rebounds - this sort of shows she is really, really really, really, really. really good (Iknwo soem hate to use the word great). We'd be fortunate to have her. :)

In terms of preference to speculate the type or player we need:
1-- Sarah Strong obviously 1.
2-- A 6'4 or taller experienced player that can score/defend/rebound ion the inside in a fastbreak environment/ being able to play fast.
3-- Any experienced player that is an efficient scorer at the 1-4 spots.
4-- Any new recruit from H/S that has the attributes of above.

Also -- very excited for our new recruits coming Allie and Morgan. Very fortunate to have them coming. :)They bring amazing individual skills. I just see our team as a fastbreak open floor team - and - I love it!!!! :):):)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
;)Don't disagree about a different body type, but do not knock Ralph's shooting percentages:
#9 on career field goal % at Uconn .579 and the only one in the top ten to never play as a post.
My favorite Husky. Quite a good shooter. As an aside, Sarah must hold the record for posts about a player whose future as a Husky is unknown. I don’t think Toomey comes close. There clearly is a need to eliminate the late signing period.;)

Reaction Score
My favorite Husky. Quite a good shooter. As an aside, Sarah must hold the record for posts about a player whose future as a Husky is unknown. I don’t think Toomey comes close. There clearly is a need to eliminate the late signing period.;)
I think the fact that we really didn’t know anything about her recruiting/top schools and the fact that we desperately could use a player like her has contributed to that. I am ready for all the speculation to be over (I won’t feel as bad if we end up getting her though lol).

Reaction Score
I agree she will definitely help on rebounding and scoring inside. I recall some prior posts referring to Sarah Strong as more of a perimeter player. She is a complete player. She is not a Wing. A Wing implies a SF/SG. Sarah is a combo SF/PF- not a SG. Along with being an excellent 3pt shooter she is also a terrific scorer inside. Below are highlights of Sarah going against 6'6 recruit Blanca Thomas going to UNC. Sarah scored 30 points. Note many of the highlights has her scoring inside. That's not a sg.

This is why some of us say Sarah would be such a perfect fit if she came to UCONN. She can score in an excellent manner both inside and out. She can rebound and pass very well also. That’s a perfect fit imo. For someone that goes against 6'6 and scored inside a lot vs that tall of a player well regarded as a reruit while going against #2 recruit Joyce Edwards and scores 31 points and has 19 rebounds - this sort of shows she is really, really really, really, really. really good (Iknwo soem hate to use the word great). We'd be fortunate to have her. :)

In terms of preference to speculate the type or player we need:
1-- Sarah Strong obviously 1.
2-- A 6'4 or taller experienced player that can score/defend/rebound ion the inside in a fastbreak environment/ being able to play fast.
3-- Any experienced player that is an efficient scorer at the 1-4 spots.
4-- Any new recruit from H/S that has the attributes of above.

Also -- very excited for our new recruits coming Allie and Morgan. Very fortunate to have them coming. :)They bring amazing individual skills. I just see our team as a fastbreak open floor team - and - I love it!!!! :):):)

Just a great video of Sarah Strong.... as a player and in the post-game interview.
I was SO impressed by Sarah's defense against Bianca (6'6"). Sarah kept her arms/hands
straight up. Maybe giving up a couple of points, but Bianca did have 4 inches on her...
AVOID THE FOULS.... very smart... she plays within herself.

Reaction Score
When I said they had other things in common, I meant that it’s uncanny that both Sarah and Shea grew up as basketball stars in North Carolina, and were subjected to a contentious recruiting battle, both were the NPOY coming out of high school, and both girls mothers were very famous college basketball stars in their own right, from North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree about a different body type, but do not knock Ralph's shooting percentages:
Wow, I didn't recall Shea shooting so well! Weren't most of her shots closer to the basket, on drives for example, and not as many from outside? Glad she was a Husky, she had a blazing competitive flame.

Reaction Score
But I still can't see a way to compare Sarah to Sheah, that seems strange to me - Their mothers excelled in BB, that's all they have in common for me

Reaction Score
But I still can't see a way to compare Sarah to Sheah, that seems strange to me - Their mothers excelled in BB, that's all they have in common for me
Probably Maya Moore or Asjha Jones would be better comparisons.

Reaction Score
I have been hopeful that Sarah has been waiting for AE to declare for the W before she finally commits to Storrs. Now that that has happened, we'll see if my Hope's become reality!
I hope that Aaliyah's decision was a factor for Sarah, both the certainty a spot was available, and the improved probability of starting from day one with Aaliyah moving on. If that is true then we should hear from Sarah very soon IMO. On the other hand if Aaliyah's decision was not a big factor, or if we aren't really the first choice, then the decision could drag on much longer.

As a result the longer it goes the less confident I become. The other contenders may not be in the same position, and Sarah can do what she wants, but we are on a tight timetable here. Absent other developments we have one spot for Sarah or a big in the portal, or possibly Emely.

Players have declared and are being recruited right now from the portal. The worst case scenario for us would be Sarah's decision goes much longer, we don't get her, and the portal big alternatives have already picked where they are going, so I hope to hear one way or the other very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom