UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To those who wish UConn did more public pleading. I'm sure the presidents of the Big 12 are meeting and asking "OK, so who has pleaded and begged the most? Great....if the others can't bother to grovel and kiss our a.s.s then they're out." :rolleyes:

Enough already. UConn has a storied athletic history, with great academics that everyone in the Big 12 already knows about. The schools that are begging are trying to paint a picture that is not really what they are.

By the way...thanks for ANOTHER thread. :rolleyes:

Well said. If the Big 12 puts the majority of the emphasis on football pedigree and current football perception then UConn doesn't get in. But if the Big 12 looks at the pictur: overall athletic program success, size of athletic program in terms of revenue, brand exposure and recognition, facilities, market size and growth for conference, academics, and athletic growth potential then UConn has a great shot at being selected. DONATE TO UCONN ATHLETICS! I DO!

Reaction Score
This is crazy. I thought that was a bad ass interview.

Them. We win championships. We have great academics. We own a state. We are relevant in Boston. We are relevant in NYC. We bring swagger, clutch performances, professional athletes, credibility.

They want us, come get us. We'll be here killing it in the meantime.

Good for suzie

you are a bunch of pansies sometimes...nut up

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Interesting take:

Greg Welch@ArtDirectorBYU 1 hour ago
This is why it's tough to say anything. UConn says we're going to let B12 decide and gets "we won't lobby" headline.

Greg Welch@ArtDirectorBYU1 hour ago
You say something like "we don't need the governor writing tweets for us" and it turns into "UConn isn't trying/doesn't care."

Great. At least the art director is on our side.

Reaction Score
In a few months we'll have the answer.

If we get in, then our stoic demeanor now means that playing it cool was the right thing to do. Herbst will have proven herself a measured, disciplined leader, and UConn athletics is set for at least the next 10 years.
If we're not in, then failing to play the game like Cincy, Houston, Memphis, etc. will have backfired, Herbst will have proven herself tone-deaf and weak, and UConn athletics is finished.

For now it's all just speculation.

Yes it's that simple... Please. Yelling and screaming in public and publically lobbying is going to get UConn into the Big 12. I don't think you understand the complexity of expansion. Susan is anything but weak. Trust me I've spent time with her. She gets it. DONATE TO ATHLETICS and show you do too.

Reaction Score
This is insane. You guys who subscribe to the Courant might want to add your comments. Saying we are respectful of B12's process is one thing, but saying we are not even trying is very bad for our own fanbase.

I can't stand the AAC. I am sure many other UCONN fans feel the same way. It would be a joke to subject UCONN to the AAC for the next 8 years, and expect our fanbase to support that. Back in the BE, I used to get up early on SATs looking forward to the UCONN game. Now, the interest is dwindling as we play against teams we got zero in common with. AAC schools are not on the same level as we are, but we have to play them because we are in the AAC.

Susie better be trying her hardest to get into the B12 or any P5 conference. Saying we are not even trying is very bad for the morale of the fanbase.

Reaction Score
By far and away the best thing about the CR board is: That a lack of
evidence is used as evidence.

I guess it would be pathetic to have the President of the University say more in public than we are a winning bunch of winners that win and have winning fun while doing it.

God forbid the administration act as if they have any ownership. If they stick with winning winners who win and hey the ball is in their court - never have to be accountable for the end result.

You're a buffoon. You know as well as anyone that getting into a stronger conference is as much of a priority for UConn leadership as anything. That they aren't approaching it in a way you would prefer should tell you that perhaps, just perhaps, you're not an expert in how to appeal to university presidents. If they think these are the best moves they can make, then these are the moves they should make. But make no mistake: whatever the administration is doing is the thing they expect gives them they best chance to get into a stronger conference.

Reaction Score
Yeah we haven't upgraded our facilities (Burton, Worth) or shown our commitment to top level athletics (Hockey East) at all.
Thank you! Finally someone doesn't have their head in the sand.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The good news : UConn leaders are demonstrating a quiet confidence heading into the B12 decision.

The bad news : UConn leaders were demonstrating a quiet confidence heading into the last ACC expansion (when Louisville ate our lunch, shat in our lunch bag, and gave it back to us with a bow on it).

Reaction Score
You're a buffoon. You know as well as anyone that getting into a stronger conference is as much of a priority for UConn leadership as anything. That they aren't approaching it in a way you would prefer should tell you that perhaps, just perhaps, you're not an expert in how to appeal to university presidents. If they think these are the best moves they can make, then these are the moves they should make. But make no mistake: whatever the administration is doing is the thing they expect gives them they best chance to get into a stronger conference.

Another wise, well thought reply to a stupid post. Thank god there are people who get it.

Reaction Score
I read the article to mean all groveling has been done and a decision has been made about UConn already. Nothing more to do to change the outcome.

So, we're either already 100% in or 100% out. I'm convinced I'm right in my prediction.

Is that you dude?

Reaction Score
UConn athletics will not be finished. They will still be playing D1 athletics. It might not be a power league but it will still be D1. People just need to relax and continue supporting UConn athletics. Let's be real, we probably have a better chance of qualifying for a bowl game in the AAC than we would in any P5 league. And you're kidding yourself if you think UConn would ever make the 4 team playoff in football.

It is over. Be real

Reaction Score
Good lord people, read the quotes.

Everything in there is a sales pitch to the Big 12, printed publicly and tweeted out. What do you want, for her to start crying on TV?
I agree-its passive aggressive at its best-my wife is taught me over 16 years how it works... That being said, she is playing a bit fast and loose with her "Husky Nation"... we need to feel like there is progress and, more importantly, we need to feel an understanding that as a fan base we are not stupid and do not need to be patronized; that our angst is being heard and felt by our University leaders...

Don't ask me to write checks and buy tickets on "we are winning winners who win" BS. I will buy tickets and write checks, but I won't do it blindly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

LOL solid name calling.

Sorry we don't all subscribe to the concept that the administration is infallable.

You do realize they might be wrong?

The fact that we are still in this position may show that they aren't experts in appealing to university presidents either?

I actually don't know that a new conference is a priority. What I am told is that we'll just keep on winning and as our AD put it - if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

They can try to set themselves up to deflect blame and criticism, certainly there are plenty here who will defend anything they do or say to the death. If the Big 12 expands and they don't have a dance card they need to be held accountable.

It's too bad that the holier than thou have to deal with unwashed non-believer baffoons - maybe they should prove us wrong this time?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Another wise, well thought reply to a stupid post. Thank god there are people who get it.

So 'getting it' is unwavering belief in the administration.

No offense but if think this is smart and my post was stupid - you really are lost.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are people fawning over an interview that contains the quote:

"We're here to have fun. We've got to keep that central to our hearts."

Could you be more out of touch with big-time college athletics?

The Big 12 is just keeping fun central to their hearts. Even the schools that allow players to get away with s e x u a l assault, and the Big 12 school that forces the victims of assault to attend the games and cheer for their attackers.

This is fun god dammit!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her quotes were pretty cringe worthy but she is the president, not the Athletic Director. Most of the school presidents are fairly clueless on athletics. They all seem to make ridiculous statements regarding sports.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 is just keeping fun central to their hearts. Even the schools that allow players to get away with s e x u a l assault, and the Big 12 school that forces the victims of assault to attend the games and cheer for their attackers.

This is fun god dammit!

Reaction Score
Yes it's that simple... Please. Yelling and screaming in public and publically lobbying is going to get UConn into the Big 12. I don't think you understand the complexity of expansion. Susan is anything but weak. Trust me I've spent time with her. She gets it. DONATE TO ATHLETICS and show you do too.

I'm just saying, the proof will be in the pudding.

If we get in, all the hand-wringing will be for nought, since Herbst will have known what she was doing all along.

If we don't get in, I don't think the administration will be immune to criticism.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

She may be an amazing president, I couldn't say one way or another, but her lack of perspective on how athletics relates to alumni engagement and just how people view the school in general are startling.

In case she hasn't noticed, UConn Nation isn't showing up and it will only continue to get worse if we are passed over yet again.

We have a disadvantage in geography and football history, but let's not get it mixed up, this is a pass/fail course and if we get passed over by some of these schools it's a fail.

You want to give a pass for Louisville..sure. But we're tanked if we don't make it out here.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Her quotes were pretty cringe worthy but she is the president, not the Athletic Director. Most of the school presidents are fairly clueless on athletics. They all seem to make ridiculous statements regarding sports.

She's had plenty of time, and more opportunity than most, to find the right tone. I'm just really tired of our administration creating quotes that just reinforce the stereotype that we are out of touch. Having fun? We are writing enormous checks to coaches and AD's to have fun? Ughhh, really frustrating quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom