UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What she isn't getting - is that she is talking to us too. So while selling yourself to the Big 12 may not matter - the perception that you are trying matters to the fans.

These fans also see that the approach hasn't changed and you are the outside looking in. If the approach doesn't work this time she and the university are going to get skewered - and they will deserve it.

The having fun comment is completely tone deaf.

At some point she must realize that she is accountable for where we are athletically, right? I mean, jebus, she seems to be saying "it is what it is" here. Your front porch is about to collapse, Suzie - that is a big deal!

Reaction Score
You're the first person I've heard suggest making the 4 team playoff has anything to do with this. What an extended stay in a fractured watered-down AAC means is us gradually fading from view in most if not all sports. Do you not get that this consolidation is meant to gradually draw a sharp line between the haves and the have nots or is it easier to pretend it's not happening?

We are not a good fit for the B12. It has nothing to do with what President Herbst is doing or not doing. Conference realignment is not over. We need to keep improving our football so when 2024 rolls around will be more appealing than Temple, or the Florida directionals. All hope is not lost.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We are not a good fit for the B12. It has nothing to do with what President Herbst is doing or not doing. Conference realignment is not over. We need to keep improving our football so when 2024 rolls around will be more appealing than Temple, or the Florida directionals. All hope is not lost.

Oh God.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say there's almost no plausible scenario where a few words in an interview is an accurate reflection of the effort being put forth by our administration. On the other hand I might have been happy to hear comments like "We're ready for the Big12 if they're ready for us" or even some coaches stoking the fires for a M-Hoops rivalry with Kansas or W-Hoops with Baylor or the FB Team with anyone! Challenge them to back down after you've picked a fight. It may not work but it's a proactive step forward that says you're ready to generate rivalries and media attention. Acting like you're the biggest egghead doesn't often translate well in the sports arena. It doesn't have to come from Dr. Herbst but should have been leaking out from UConn sources and our supposedly UConn media but we sit back waiting for the axe to drop because we might offend someone. And yes I'm a "liberal" with an attitude about this.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
A select few have been worried about this all along and have just repeatedly told to shut up.

These cliche, copy pasted "We are UConn we win championships" responses to CR questions tells me they probably don't fully understand the gravity of the situation at hand. Herbst sounds like my mom after I explain to her the dynamics of CR, "oh well it's just sports" is what she'd respond.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A select few have been worried about this all along and have just repeatedly told to shut up.

These cliche, copy pasted "We are UConn we win championships" responses to CR questions tells me they probably don't fully understand the gravity of the situation at hand. Herbst sounds like me after explaining CR to my mother, "oh well it's just sports".

I've always thought she had trouble relating to her audience and while I don't think this was the worst interview ever, it didn't exactly knock your socks off like it may have needed to

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Replace ACC with Big 12, wash, rinse and repeat.

This is maddening. I don't watch UConn sports to see coeds engage in an extracurricular activity. I watch UConn because they are my team, my university and I want to see them compete on the national stage in games that actually matter.

Perception does matter; no matter what anyone says. Instead of the bs we win, we have fun, we like to win, how about actually shaping the public perception as opposed to taking a beating.

From the National media you would be led to believe Houston is a perennial top 10 team, that sells out a brand new stadium and is ready to expand the joint, or that Cincinnati brings a storied football and basketball history and is slughtly behind Ohio State in Ohio.

It's not groveling or begging to just state the facts. We own the 30th biggest media market (23rd if you add fairfield county) as the state U. We are neck and neck with Duke, UK, UNC as the preeminent hoop program of the last 30 years. We have begun to rebuild our football program which won a league with five supposed "P5" programs and the storied Cincinnati program twice in our infancy.

Not to mention we spend the most, we make the most and we our by far the best academic school.

Why can't someone from the university sternly acknowledge that.

Not to drive the Warde donuts narrative (as I'm overall pro WM) but during the ACC expansion when they interviewed him and all he could come up with is " I think we're the best candidate but I'm biased" it drove me insane.

Perception is everything and ours in a few short years is shot with this G5 distinction. Someone needs to step up and get this done.
Yes exactly. Too many old timers on here who haven't learned how the world works in the internet age.

These days you don't sell the steak.anymore, you sell the sizzle. Marketing is everything. Apple sells more iPhones than all its competitors combined and it's the most expensive, is it because it's the best product? No because it's marketed better than the rest. Terrible movies consistently sit at the top of American box offices because they are expertly marketed. We have the marketing team of an indie art flick completely unaware of their audience.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At some point she must realize that she is accountable for where we are athletically, right? I mean, jebus, she seems to be saying "it is what it is" here. Your front porch is about to collapse, Suzie - that is a big deal!

They talk like this so they don't own it. The AD said if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

That's some solid leadership - nothing we can do in half a million dollar public jobs - if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

But you are a baffoon if you look for leadership - which I guess makes sense because it's not coming from this administration.

Reaction Score
Based upon Susie's comments, a random encounter with an Olympic sport coach I had recently and this thread, I am now of the opinion that we are funked. I honestly think we on the message board get it more than high paid administrators at the university - or at least we on the message board are the only ones not spinning the fact that we are fukked.

I think these quotes are spoken by a woman that is positioning for her next gig. I hope I am wrong, but i am now officially despondent.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Based upon Susie's comments, a random encounter with an Olympic sport coach I had recently and this thread, I am now of the opinion that we are funked. I honestly think we on the message board get it more than high paid administrators at the university - or at least we on the message board are the only ones not spinning the fact that we are fukked.

I think these quotes are spoken by a woman that is positioning for her next gig. I hope I am wrong, but i am now officially despondent.

Without revealing your source, do you mind sharing what the Olympic sport coach said?

Reaction Score
This is so duck*ing stupid it's not even worth responding to. It would be like saying I need this job because it's the only job I could possibly get now but 8 years from now the job might be available so I'll just wait.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've said this multiple times, but it bothers me a lot in these situations that we don't have a UConn guy/girl in a position of public leadership in these spots, or at minimum someone with some long term skin in this game.

West Virginia had Luck, Rutgers had Pernetti, and Louisville had Jurich who while not an alum had been there 10+ years.

If Herbst wants a promotion - which I'm sure she will at some point - she isn't going to be graded on her prior schools conference affiliation. Same with the AD.

These people aren't Huskies, nor are they looking at this like the decision of a lifetime.

I think we're seeing a combination of indifference and incompetence with regards to our athletic leadership.

Reaction Score
I've said this multiple times, but it bothers me a lot in these situations that we don't have a UConn guy/girl in a position of public leadership in these spots, or at minimum someone with some long term skin in this game.

West Virginia had Luck, Rutgers had Pernetti, and Louisville had Jurich who while not an alum had been there 10+ years.

If Herbst wants a promotion - which I'm sure she will at some point - she isn't going to be graded on her prior schools conference affiliation. Same with the AD.

These people aren't Huskies, nor are they looking at this like the decision of a lifetime.

I think we're seeing a combination of indifference and incompetence with regards to our athletic leadership.
A promotion? If we are left in this position as more commuter schools are added to the P5 she should be looking for a new job.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A promotion? If we are left in this position as more commuter schools are added to the P5 she should be looking for a new job.

Or as I've wondered all along - is she perfectly happy if sports are related to a second class status and you can sell that on your resume.

She showed up at UConn and said her favorite sport is lacrosse for the love of God. Not basketball, not football - a friggin sport the school
doesn't even sponsor for men.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I can't "like" this, but I agree. No one has told her that Duke takes football seriously now. Everything she is doing to raise fundraising and the academic profile is great, even if it falls short of AAU/B1G in the end. But we cannot sustain a national profile in athletics if we fail to make the P5 cut. I'll be fine, I grew up on the Yankee Conference and may look forward in my old age to easily drivable football games. But UConn Nation was weaned on national championships and the highest level of competition, and those fans will find something else to follow.

Reaction Score
Without revealing your source, do you mind sharing what the Olympic sport coach said?

No inside information. But my impression is we are still focusing on basic, mundane issues, suggesting that the administration is not playing chess as we hoped. nothing more to share.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Yes exactly. Too many old timers on here who haven't learned how the world works in the internet age.

These days you don't sell the steak.anymore, you sell the sizzle. Marketing is everything. Apple sells more iPhones than all its competitors combined and it's the most expensive, is it because it's the best product? No because it's marketed better than the rest. Terrible movies consistently sit at the top of American box offices because they are expertly marketed. We have the marketing team of an indie art flick completely unaware of their audience.

Umm, the key to successful marketing is knowing and appealing to your target market better than your competitors. In this case it's largely B12 university presidents. Said presidents were born on average in 1945 which means they are 70+ years old on average. In marketing terms, I'm guessing they would prefer a well prepared steak over sizzle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Or as I've wondered all along - is she perfectly happy if sports are related to a second class status and you can sell that on your resume.

She showed up at UConn and said her favorite sport is lacrosse for the love of God. Not basketball, not football - a friggin sport the school
doesn't even sponsor for men.
Taking one of the best athletic schools and leaving it to die athletically wouldn't reflect too well on her resume.

Reaction Score
Clearly it's not her fault that we are located in the Northeast and it's a Midwestern league looking to expand. But the ACC has a few teams in the Northeast and didn't choose us. The Big Ten has a school two hours away and isn't coming for us either. Our geography is hindering us now because we are outside the league's footprint. And apparently it was hindering us at least twice previously because we were inside the league's footprint. Personally I'm just getting annoyed that no matter what the criteria appears to be, we keep falling on the wrong side of it...

The Big 12 is a midwestern league? Are any of the Big 12 schools in the "midwest?" I think UConn would be in much better shape if it were a midwest league expanding (B1G.)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Taking one of the best athletic schools and leaving it to die athletically wouldn't reflect too well on her resume.

It would to the kinds of BOTs that want sports to have less power at their schools.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
No inside information. But my impression is we are still focusing on basic, mundane issues, suggesting that the administration is not playing chess as we hoped. nothing more to share.

Wow. Let's just hope this coach isn't plugged in to what his or her bosses are doing.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is a midwestern league? Are any of the Big 12 schools in the "midwest?" I think UConn would be in much better shape if it were a midwest league expanding (B1G.)

How do you define it? It's not Southern. It's not Eastern. It's not Western. It's in the central time zone. It's Midwest to me, anyway. And yes, Iowa State is in the Big 12 so they have at least one school that is inarguably in the Midwest.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
How do you define it? It's not Southern. It's not Eastern. It's not Western. It's in the central time zone. It's Midwest to me, anyway. And yes, Iowa State is in the Big 12 so they have at least one school that is inarguably in the Midwest.
I'd say 60% Southwest, 30% Midwest and 10% West Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom