UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're precious. Do you need responses specifically targeted to you or can I just target topics more generally?

Let me know what suits your needs best.

Again, the Big 12 isn't picking schools based on local news articles and if you don't think that she has to manage expectations in what is likely a futile effort, I don't know what to tell you. But I quoted you, so enjoy.

Thank you Fishy. We all appreciate when you dole out the condensation individually rather than towards the whole group.

Not a single person has so much as hinted that the Big 12 will pick schools based on local newspaper articles. Thank you for clarifying a second time (this is where reading the posts makes your replies more pointed)!

If you read the posts you'd already know that I've said she speaks like this to avoid taking responsibility for the outcome (eh that pesky reading - we might not be as stupid as you accuse us of being). If only she sold as hard as she manages expectations!

Reaction Score
You're precious. Do you need responses specifically targeted to you or can I just target topics more generally?

Let me know what suits your needs best.

Again, the Big 12 isn't picking schools based on local news articles and if you don't think that she has to manage expectations in what is likely a futile effort, I don't know what to tell you. But I quoted you, so enjoy.
What is "likely a futile effort" referring to?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Seriously? UConn has been in a cone of silence for 5 years? If this were the case wouldn't you just say no comment.

The no evidence is evidence card has been played for years here and never once was no evidence actually evidence.

So you are saying she should have spent the last 5 years speaking like a fan message board?

It's a delicate balance. She is trying to boost morale to our fanbase while doing everything in her power to get us out of this AAC hell. Part of "everything in her power" is acting like a respected university President by protecting confidential conversations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you are saying she should have spent the last 5 years speaking like a fan message board?

It's a delicate balance. She is trying to boost morale to our fanbase while doing everything in her power to get us out of this AAC hell. Part of "everything in her power" is acting like a respected university President by protecting confidential conversations.

There are dozens of things she can say. You guys might have annoyed me enough that I'll write her damn talking points in 15 minutes just to show how stupid the things she says are.

Reaction Score

Come on Dooley, she isnt boosting morale,no matter what she says if we watch the likes of Memphis head out the door while were still here.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

And if she thinks that is boosting morale she is tone-deaf. It's fine that she doesn't want to lobby the B12, but she should be selling the crap out of our assets to anyone who interviews her. Try to control the narrative. Not this winning winners who like to win crap. Honestly I think she's just whistling past the graveyard at this point.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For christ sake. Is there not a happy medium between Herbst speaking of core values of fun and exercise with regards to D1 athletics and tweeting out LGBTQ centers 15 minutes after your competitors get in hot water for those issues?

This job needs a salesman to showcase why we are better and make no mistake, we are better, than this collection of Conference USA Castoffs.

Sitting there while everyone eats our lunch in the national media is pathetic.

Reaction Score
Sportsart has pre-blamed geography and Jeff Hathaway in this thread - so at least they are staying on message.

Both comments were correct to in response to comments they were directed at. Obviously it's mania time for you in your bi-polar journey. I'm not gonna bite.

Start a fight with someone else that will go 6 pages with you. That's your style. Post and post and always get the last word in.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand why there isn't someone putting out facts. We don't need to be sending gifts and then publicly telling everyone we sent gifts. The fact that our name is barely out there is bad for public perception.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
There are a lot of ways to say nothing besides the approach chosen here. It's hardly confidence inspiring.
Sadly I think that's the point.

Nutkick coming. Unless... #Pray4Four

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Come on Dooley, she isnt boosting morale,no matter what she says if we watch the likes of Memphis head out the door while were still here.

She is a university president speaking about sports. You have to excuse her if she doesn't sound like Vince Lombardi.

And if Memphis leaves ahead of us it will have nothing to do with any winners win speech and 1000% to do with FedEx's wallet.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Look, I'm as positive as they come, but even I am willing to admit that this was a gaffe. She has to be better than that when dealing with the media. Yes, we will either be invited or left behind based on things that have nothing to do with this interview. But this interview had the effect of kicking our own fan base in the scrote...

Reaction Score
I just don't understand why there isn't someone putting out facts. We don't need to be sending gifts and then publicly telling everyone we sent gifts. The fact that our name is barely out there is bad for public perception.
Fishy is cool with the approach. We are an Audi R8 and we sell ourselves as a Yugo. Can't blame Susan, it just wasn't meant to be even though we have a million more things going for us than the schools who keep passing us by.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look, I'm as positive as they come, but even I am willing to admit that this was a gaffe. She has to be better than that when dealing with the media. Yes, we will either be invited or left behind based on things that have nothing to do with this interview. But this interview had the effect of kicking our own fan base in the scrote...

I just get the feeling they already know what's happening. I don't think there's anything else to do but wait for an official announcement. Either they're being quiet because we're in or they're being quiet because they don't want to say anything to get people's hopes up. I don't think there's any middle ground right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And why is it likely a futile effort when we have so much more going for us than the schools we are competing against?

If the ACC or even the Big 10 was expanding by two or even one, I would think we would be a mortal lock against this group.

But it's the Big 12 - what we offer - proximity to New York, academics, basketball - might not be nearly as highly-prized.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If the ACC or even the Big 10 was expanding by two or even one, I would think we would be a mortal lock against this group.

But it's the Big 12 - what we offer - proximity to New York, academics, basketball - might not be nearly as highly-prized.

You mean to tell me we can't sell the B12 on NYC exposure and Fox Sports kicking ESPN square in the nuts. I'd love to make that pitch to Fox everyday.

Reaction Score
She is a university president speaking about sports. You have to excuse her if she doesn't sound like Vince Lombardi.

And if Memphis leaves ahead of us it will have nothing to do with any winners win speech and 1000% to do with FedEx's wallet.
Holy cr@p, it's actually the number 1 job for her as a University President right now. Getting us in a P5 is of paramount importance and sloppy comments like hers don't engender any confidence in her ability to get the job done. If she already knows she can't get the job done and is trying to manage fans expectations as Fishy thinks, her words were still sloppy as hell.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I would not bet against Cincy vs. us for one spot in the ACC. I think a Nova/Navy football combo would also find a way.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Both comments were correct to in response to comments they were directed at. Obviously it's mania time for you in your bi-polar journey. I'm not gonna bite.

Start a fight with someone else that will go 6 pages with you. That's your style. Post and post and always get the last word in.

I love when poster's have nothing but name calling or garbage like 'bi-polar journey'. God forbid you have to deal with someone who disagrees with you and you are forced to defend your opinion.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You mean to tell me we can't sell the B12 on NYC exposure and Fox Sports kicking ESPN square in the nuts. I'd love to make that pitch to Fox everyday.
The problem with that scenario is that while telling Fox they'll have the opportunity to kick ESPN in the nuts you will also need to tell ESPN that they are paying half the cost of said kick.

I don't believe that would be an easy sell.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The problem with that scenario is that while telling Fox they'll have the opportunity to kick ESPN in the nuts you will also need to tell ESPN that they are paying half the cost of said kick.

I don't believe that would be an easy sell.

ESPN is trying to kill the B12...if they give one ish about what ESPN thinks they are as lost as SH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom