UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly what did she intend to convey with her words? Sometimes watching supposed brilliant people at UCONN say very un-brilliant things lessens my belief that brilliant things will happen to UCONN.

"No comment" should be the go to words for her to the press hereon out. It's too bad that one's tendency to avoid being terse afflicts even those who have PhD's in Communications.

Reaction Score
Yes it is Suzy's fault we are in CT. :rolleyes:

Switch locations with Cincy, UH, BYU and any other state that is contention and we are in without a visit. There's contrarian and then there is attention seeking.

Reaction Score
Exactly what did she intend to convey with her words? Sometimes watching supposed brilliant people at UCONN say very un-brilliant things lessens my belief that brilliant things will happen to UCONN.

"No comment" should be the go to words for her to the press hereon out. It's too bad that one's tendency to avoid being terse afflicts even those who have PhD's in Communications.
That's how I feel. I always feel better about our chances of being where we should be until I hear our leadership speak.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Switch locations with Cincy, UH, BYU and any other state that is contention and we are in without a visit. There's contrarian and then there is attention seeking.

Were talking about freaking Houston here. I can't understate that enough. A team that we didn't want three years ago after our league collapsed.

Cincinnati, sure a fine hoop and footage combo, but what you see is what you get with them.

BYU has a national football program but they are damn near just as far away as us. How come that's never touted as an issue for them?

We have so much to offer and yet we never hear anything from UConn spun in a positive light. We are consistently killed and the only person who does anything about it is Dooley for christ sake.

I'm just sick of this. How this is even a converation is a joke,

Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting this is the reality of how it is playing out at all, but these comments come across as liberal elitism and naivete, just as many people who cover and control CFB stereotype Uconn and the Northeast schools in general. It seems especially misplaced when we know that in the past, the B12 game is being played in backroom poker rooms with bottles of scotch and shotguns.

We know UConn doesn't fit in with Texas socially or politically, but no need broadcasting it IMHO.

I have confidence in Herbst and all the actions of this administration suggest they are doing everything to make themsleves attractive to a P5 conference (the B10, not the B12, but whatever). That hasn't changed and I doubt these comments will in any way shape a decision. But they do shape the narrative

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
She may be an amazing president, I couldn't say one way or another, but her lack of perspective on how athletics relates to alumni engagement and just how people view the school in general are startling.

In case she hasn't noticed, UConn Nation isn't showing up and it will only continue to get worse if we are passed over yet again.

We have a disadvantage in geography and football history, but let's not get it mixed up, this is a pass/fail course and if we get passed over by some of these schools it's a fail.

You want to give a pass for Louisville..sure. But we're tanked if we don't make it out here.
Actually, I don't want to give a pass for Louisville. That was the last legitimate chance. As Yoda said, do or do not, there is no try.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I love this from Herbst. What else can she say? This is coming though from someone who knows either a) UConn is in b) UConn has a better option or c) UConn is out. I will say that if it is C, she is over estimating UConn Nation. No one will support 8 more years playing in the AAC. Truth is, if we remain in this hell hole, I'd say the over/under for Diaco moving to greener pastures and the Rent averaging less than 20k is 2.9 years. Again, if exapnsion happens and UConn is excluded, its simply a nail in the coffin. There is absolutely no other way to spin it. While I admit that have grown much less optimistic over the past week, I will continue to say that UConn's actions, primarily from the hiring of Tranghese until now makes no sense if we never had a chance.

Hiring Tranghese made no sense whether anyone in the administration thought we had a chance or not.

Reaction Score
I liked it better when they were saying NOTHING!

Don't even try to spin it that way.

If youre going to say no comment, just say that. Talking about having fun with ball sport as its central to our core beliefs is an embarassment,

That's my point... it was better when they were saying nothing publicly. I don't need to be inspired.

Reaction Score
Were talking about freaking Houston here. I can't understate that enough. A team that we didn't want three years ago after our league collapsed.

Cincinnati, sure a fine hoop and footage combo, but what you see is what you get with them.

BYU has a national football program but they are damn near just as far away as us. How come that's never touted as an issue for them?

We have so much to offer and yet we never hear anything from UConn spun in a positive light. We are consistently killed and the only person who does anything about it is Dooley for christ sake.

It's infuriating, we are competing against crummy commuter schools and I still fear the same kick coming. Our leadership better be getting it done behind closed doors or there should be hell to pay. We hold a straight flush compared to a bunch of 3's, 4's and 7's and yet we are still in this position.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The Courant is going to put that headline on the article because that's what gets hits. It's clear many saw the headline and didn't read what exactly what Susan said. It's a subtle advertisement for our university.

Just because Susan doesn't outright gravel for an invite publicly doesn't mean we're not trying. This is par for the course... UConn has said they won't publicly beg for an invite. Susan boasting our athletic superiority with the quotes others have highlighted is as close as we're going to get to hearing the university publicly advertise.

Just because some no name for the Courant branded the article with that headline doesn't suddenly change our CR vision or fortunes.

Reaction Score
Honestly, most of you should not read the newspapers.

It's too much for you.

But keep reading this message board.

oh wait your taking the Suzy approach. scratch that,

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Clearly it's not her fault that we are located in the Northeast and it's a Midwestern league looking to expand. But the ACC has a few teams in the Northeast and didn't choose us. The Big Ten has a school two hours away and isn't coming for us either. Our geography is hindering us now because we are outside the league's footprint. And apparently it was hindering us at least twice previously because we were inside the league's footprint. Personally I'm just getting annoyed that no matter what the criteria appears to be, we keep falling on the wrong side of it.

2011: ACC wants the Northeast and academics. We fit the mold. BC doesn't like us and rounds up others to block us.

2012: Big Ten wants cable boxes. We have some. Rutgers has more. I can live with this.

2012: Academics, which had been very important the last time no longer matter. Geography, still a concern, is less a concern. The ACC wants football. Though we are coming off a BCS appearance only twenty-two months earlier, Louisville is coming off one only ten months earlier. Our program sucks. Theirs is wonderful.

2016: Big 12 "wants eastern teams." Big 12 "wants academics." Big 12 "wants TV content that people in major metro areas will watch." We fit every category. Outcome? TBD.

Overall I have been very pro-Suzie and I still am. But at some point she needs to correctly identify what the other leagues want and make sure they know we deliver it.

And I'm not making this point directly at you. I am just ranting.

Reaction Score

Again, it's location.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Are you saying that this might require a sales job? One where you actually try to change the public perception?

That's an interesting thought. Maybe they could support Dooley.

Reaction Score
UConn athletics will not be finished. They will still be playing D1 athletics. It might not be a power league but it will still be D1. People just need to relax and continue supporting UConn athletics. Let's be real, we probably have a better chance of qualifying for a bowl game in the AAC than we would in any P5 league. And you're kidding yourself if you think UConn would ever make the 4 team playoff in football.

You're the first person I've heard suggest making the 4 team playoff has anything to do with this. What an extended stay in a fractured watered-down AAC means is us gradually fading from view in most if not all sports. Do you not get that this consolidation is meant to gradually draw a sharp line between the haves and the have nots or is it easier to pretend it's not happening?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Again, it's location.

Location is just an excuse.

The Big East and Big Ten both have teams in Nebraska playing teams in New Jersey.

ACC has teams in Florida playing teams in Boston and Central NY and Pittsburgh.

If it was West Virginia, Louisville, Pitt, or any other established potential altetnative, I buy it to take the marginally closer program.

BYU, just as far and comes with a ton of baggage and some archaic principles.

We have so much to offer that for the handful of sports that actually play road games the effect should be immaterial.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The Courant is going to put that headline on the article because that's what gets hits. It's clear many saw the headline and didn't read what exactly what Susan said. It's a subtle advertisement for our university.

Just because Susan doesn't outright gravel for an invite publicly doesn't mean we're not trying. This is par for the course... UConn has said they won't publicly beg for an invite. Susan boasting our athletic superiority with the quotes others have highlighted is as close as we're going to get to hearing the university publicly advertise.

Just because some no name for the Courant branded the article with that headline doesn't suddenly change our CR vision or fortunes.

We are WAYYYY past the time for being subtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom