UConn Moves Up Two Spots to No. 8 in Associated Press Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Moves Up Two Spots to No. 8 in Associated Press Poll

Reaction Score
Believe me I was NOT saying any of my reply was a "given"... and it ASSUMED they follow standard "S" Curve.

There is way more season to play, more upsets likely (other peeps not UCONN), and more other things to throw wrenches in the system.
Last year was the first year they actually followed the S-curve without making huge exceptions for geography. This is more relevant In the women’s game than the men’s. They do their best to try keeping teams relatively close to home for obvious travel and ticket considerations.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
How does Notre Dame go from 20th to 19th after loosing to an unranked team?? And how does Tennessee go from 7 to 13th after loosing to unranked University of Florida and 10th ranked Uconn?? And how on God's green earth is Iowa still ranked.
I'll give it a shot.

ND beat NC State who was ranked #3 at the time so that's why the FSU loss impacted them less. Had they beat FSU they could have had a big jump in the polls.

Tennessee was the 7th ranked team and I believe as high as #5 until the loss at Auburn. The Florida loss, while unranked at that time, off sets the slide as the Gators are now ranked and probably should have been last week. I expect if Tennessee can't right the ship, they will continue the descent. They have Missouri and Vandy this week so it can go either way. The tigers could get them.

Iowa had two losses to ranked teams last week (Ohio State and Michigan<who climbed to #4>). I guess the voters felt they were still a top 25 team since both losses were good games and ranked opponents.

Also South Carolina lost to unranked Missouri and remained #1 a few weeks ago. Not all losses are equal unfortunately.

Thats just my non-voting 's explanation.

Reaction Score
Ask Notre Dame and their weak schedule how they made the Top 20.
They beat NC State; that’s why. Watch their next game and tell everyone why they are not a Top 20 team, They have one of the best post players and two of the best Freshmen. There is talent on that team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
OMG.. I was answering the previous question... and tried hard to put qualifications on the answer. There is nothing concrete about any of this, or what the Committee will do until Selection Sunday...
My apologies. I should have been more careful about addressing my post more broadly, rather than as a specific reply to you. I realize you were only replying to the other poster.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Guys - the committee does NOT use AP or Coaches’ polls to determine seedings for the tournament. Polls are for fan bragging rights only.

F56D6E07-F346-4D79-AF89-69BF8B71ACFA.jpeg

Reaction Score
But neither of these hypotheses is correct. The committee doesn't even consider AP or Massey. They look at the NET, but, just as was the case with the good ol' RPI, even that is but one small piece among MANY criteria they consider.

I get that projecting is part of the "fun" (or angst, as the case may be), but we got all kinds of non sequiturs flying around these seeding-and-regional threads.

This year it will be skewered because the committee knows that Uconn has played the last couple of months without the best player in the country. When Paige comes back the committee will rank Uconn as a 2 seed. I don't see any scenario they can be a 1 at this point although with Paige their better than both Louisville and nc state and probably Stanford as well. The team we match up the worst with is S.Carolina because of their size. The only way we can drop to a 3 is the unlikely scenario of losing a game to a big east team.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Right now I have both Michigan and Indiana in the Elite 8 and Michigan in the Final 4. I love UCONN, but those schools earned those rankings IMO. NC State, Arizona and even Louisville are vulnerable. I expect movement in the top 10 in the next couple of weeks. UCONN has to just keep making minor improvements and they will have as much a chance as anyone, including SC to cut down the nets.
The Net rankings neither team in the top 10. Michigan has been blown out twice. Best player a small post. Pretty much the same as Indiana. Neither team has size or fast guards.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If you consider them average then I'd like to see you compare all three teams
I have watched, studied, all 3 many times. Today which team has the better guards? Front court, not one player the team?

Reaction Score
A few of the posts have asserted that UConn will sweep the rest of our games, resulting in a 2 seed. I hope so, really do. However I'm not quite as convinced that will happen. In terms of quality of play the season has had ups and downs. Tennessee was an up. History tells me this team can throw in a clunker. One game at a time.

Reaction Score
The Net rankings neither team in the top 10. Michigan has been blown out twice. Best player a small post. Pretty much the same as Indiana. Neither team has size or fast guards.
UCONN has been blown out by their standards and they're still good, right? Naz is one of the best posts...despite her size. She makes it work. They're playing some great basketball. Indiana has a good post too. Not flashy, but a workhorse. She's hurt right now. Both teams have great movement of the ball and personnel. When you lack speed...pass the ball quicker. That's what the defense is after.

Reaction Score
I have watched, studied, all 3 many times. Today which team has the better guards? Front court, not one player the team?
Are you asking why recruited better or who has the better team right now? As a team Michigan and Indiana have 10 top 25 wins and have been more consistent. They deserve their ranking IMO

Reaction Score
Notice 2 pretty average Big 10 schools rank ahead of UConn. Sad.
You didn't bother to mention who they are average compared to but I'll tell you one thing, I would take Naz Hillmon and McKenzie Holmes over Elissa Cunane (and I'm assuming you don't consider NC State average). They play against bigger posts and succeed. Cunane doesn't do near as well against size as she should and disappears way too much. I'll also put Berger, Cardano-Hillary and Leigha Brown against any guards NC State has, Louisville too. Not saying they're better, but they're not average. Neither are the teams they play for.

Reaction Score
All the numbers don't take into account the Paige-factor. Assuming Paige returns, I think the NCAA would have to take that in consideration in the seeding. It would be unfair to the #1 overall (SCar) to give them UConn as their 2 seed if Paige is back and we win out.

If we win out and Paige is back, I think the NCAA would have us as the 5 or 6 overall, over IND and possibly AZ (the #7 and #6) even if they don't lose another game (which I think they will)
I think Az will be favored in every game from here on out except for Stanford in the (likely) final of the PAC 12 tournament and while Stanford should be the favorite in that game, remember Az only lost by six at Stanford! If they stay healthy, they’re going to be a real problem! Their defense is really something to see. I’m certainly not eager to see them in our bracket! I have faith that Geno will figure out a solution (assuming we are back to full strength) but I’d still just as soon avoid them.

Reaction Score
Not sure I would go that far. I do agree UConn is in the conversation for the third best team but it’s certainly not a slam dunk. Now if Paige is back (and 100%) then I would probably agree with you.

Reaction Score
But neither of these hypotheses is correct. The committee doesn't even consider AP or Massey. They look at the NET, but, just as was the case with the good ol' RPI, even that is but one small piece among MANY criteria they consider.

I get that projecting is part of the "fun" (or angst, as the case may be), but we got all kinds of non sequiturs flying around these seeding-and-regional threads.
Kill joy...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom