Uconn in CR | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Uconn in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand why you would question the addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G. However, until the ACC GOR, Maryland and Rutgers was intended to be just the beginning and not the end of further B1G expansion to the east. Jim Delany, a native of New Jersey, welcomes Rutgers the flagship university of his native state along with Maryland. Jim Delany, who received his bachelor and juris doctorate degree from the University of North Carolina, hopes to lure Virginia and his alma mater North Carolina to the B1G. AAU members and public research universities providing the B1G with access to rich media markets and recruiting grounds while destabilizing the ACC, the future home of the "white whale" Notre Dame, in the process. Perhaps, the loss of Virginia and North Carolina destabilizes the ACC enough that Jim Delany keeps going and invites AAU members Duke and Georgia Tech as well as football brand Florida State. This gets the B1G to 19 members ... Shazaam! Notre Dame how about you join us now since your new conference is now a shell of what it used to be? Of course this is conjecture and this gem from Off Tackle Empire relates it even better if you need a laugh:http://www.offtackleempire.com/2013...sion-rutgers-maryland-virginia-north-carolina
Regardless, Maryland and Rutgers was intended to be just the beginning and not the end of further B1G expansion to the east. If you look at it from that perspective it makes perfect sense.

@NEforceUConn,yes wisely RU/Md!!!If Nebraska hadn't fallen into his lap RU would already be in the B1G!RU (Mulcahy,Pernetti and Schiano)and Delany had been posturing for years for this unfortunately UConn joining big boy football late wasn't thinking B1G but thought of the BE as the mountaintop until too late!These relationships take decades at least to develop!!Jopa and Glen Mason had also been touting RU(even in the"00"s) and the promise of the NY/NJ market and rich recruiting grounds!Fortunately Delany understood the NY/NJ market where Swoffy relied on BC's advise!You guys will never understand UConns perception even now outside your small box!Many think SU and Pitt were aware and nervous the BE would lose RU after their "10" anouncement about the results of their study and bolted before it was them left w/o a chair!!The writing was on the wall!Could these old eastern powers pride bear being left behind and passed by RU? There dignity was on the line! Swoffard would have been a genius if he had any vision and instead of listening to BC/DeFillipo swooped in and took RU and UConn the heart and soul of the BE(and there market) leaving it badly devalued and embarrassed...the B1G already has the great lakes and Pa region so where were SU and Pitt to go?

Reaction Score
If you're going to be a twit and argue with me that Tennessee has more juice than Boise St. (after I wrote Tennessee is top tier and Boise isn't) what does that make you?
That makes me someone who tried to get people on this site to ease up on you. However, I guess that wasn't appreciated, so go ahead, keep getting bashed in the head if you want.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can choose to believe what you want but Teddy Bridgewater had far more to do with Louisville getting in ahead of us than Tom Jurich did.

All this talk about how Jurich outworked Warde, and how UConn doesn't really care about football doesn't mean jacksquat if in Jurich's briefcase he's carrying around a resume of being a terrible academic school and an average BE football team - which he would be if Bridgewater didn't fall in their lap due to the Shannon axing at the U.

That's my point. The greatness of Bridgewater and the good fortunes of Ville in landing him are why things are where they are first and foremost.

I've read a lot of crazy stuff on the Boneyard about CR. Congratulations, you are now the leader in the crazy talk clubhouse.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe.

They hired and continue to employ Pasqualoni. Have sat idly by while season ticket sales have dwindled. Still pay assistants less than comparable schools. Put on an embarrassment of a Spring Game this year. Haven't had the stomach to be more flexible on academics for potential athletes. Have almost literally no presence on social media. While the rest of the world has been aggressive looking for new conference affiliations, UConn continued to try and save the Big East and watched Louisville eat their lunch.

So maybe it's a huge reach, but maybe it isn't.
SO the measure of a university's commitment to a sport isn't a multi-million dollar investment in facilities, it is the quality of their social media presence....

Yeah, riiiiight.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
We're not arguing about UConn in the top tier. What in heavens are you talking about?
do you sense that as you are rapid firing defensive comments back to about 10 people, you may be somewhat reactionary? just a little?

pj

Reaction Score
@NEforceUConn,yes wisely RU/Md!!!If Nebraska hadn't fallen into his lap RU would already be in the B1G!RU (Mulcahy,Pernetti and Schiano)and Delany had been posturing for years for this unfortunately UConn joining big boy football late wasn't thinking B1G but thought of the BE as the mountaintop until too late!These relationships take decades at least to develop!!Jopa and Glen Mason had also been touting RU(even in the"00"s) and the promise of the NY/NJ market and rich recruiting grounds!Fortunately Delany understood the NY/NJ market where Swoffy relied on BC's advise!You guys will never understand UConns perception even now outside your small box!Many think SU and Pitt were aware and nervous the BE would lose RU after their "10" anouncement about the results of their study and bolted before it was them left w/o a chair!!The writing was on the wall!Could these old eastern powers pride bear being left behind and passed by RU? There dignity was on the line! Swoffard would have been a genius if he had any vision and instead of listening to BC/DeFillipo swooped in and took RU and UConn the heart and soul of the BE(and there market) leaving it badly devalued and embarrassed...the B1G already has the great lakes and Pa region so where were SU and Pitt to go?

Good analysis. The ACC has continued to double down on schools in backwater markets. It doesn't seem prepared to compete head to head with the B1G and has parochial interests it is trying to protect, therefore lots of internal politics and an inconsistent business plan. The B1G has been working patiently and strategically. Kudos to Rutgers for working with them.

UConn has lacked a strategic plan and has been late to the party. They should have their bearings now, but it will take big investments in the university to catch up.

Reaction Score
do you sense that as you are rapid firing defensive comments back to about 10 people, you may be somewhat reactionary? just a little?

4 people who can't keep the discussion straight. And I challenge anyone to tell me what Nicky is talking about?

Reaction Score
Are we back on Basketball again?

Prove it- both USA Today and IMG disagrees with you.

IMG/CLC rankings UConn was

#47 in 2009-2010
#47 in 2010-2011
#48 in 2011-2012

http://www.clc.com/News/Archived-Rankings.aspx

...and that's not even a full listing of College schools because not all schools collect their royalties through CLC.

I was answering a post on basketball attendance that you linked to!!!!! Your own link was about basketball.
My god, it had Providence ahead of UConn. Have you seen Providence football lately?

I have no idea what the CLC does nor do I care, but when I look at the bottom line licensing revenue in the federal reports found here (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1) UConn is at $24,807,000. Cincy, which is ahead of UConn on the CLC list, is at $10,422,000.

But, I see you're not countering the attendance figures anymore. Where do you find these bogus lists and rankings anyway?

Reaction Score
The ranking is controlling for wins - it's a ranking of how much fan support there is in a team that irregardless of how successful they are on the field.

That's why I mentioned that it's more of a ranking of the # of fair-weather fans than anything else.

Uh-huh. Since UConn has been winning now for 25 years, what's the control? What's the variable? Seriously, USF against UConn???

When UConn was losing in the mid 1980s, the HCC was packed. Since then, they've been winning.

Reaction Score
Well, one time in top 15 and many times worse than 26. Using the link you posted:
2003- 21
2004- 20
2005- 15
2006- 19
2007- 20
2008- 32
2009- 28
2010- 34
2011- 32
2012- 26

I really don't wanna know where we'd fall for 2013.

Thanks. I went over this the other day. Now look at total attendance. Look also at road attendance where Uconn is the 10th biggest draw over the opponent's average.

The points are twofold: 1. UConn's attendance is not down relative to the 1990s. It's down relative to its high water mark in 2007 when the financial crisis started and many teams started experiencing drops. Secondly, there is no way that a team between 20-35 in the nation could be toward the bottom of the old BE.

Reaction Score
Your officially persona non grata...is their an ignore option?Clown with no game falls back on (english,spelling+grammar) excuse!

I never made fun of your grammar. I literally don't know what you're going on about.

Reaction Score
That makes me someone who tried to get people on this site to ease up on you. However, I guess that wasn't appreciated, so go ahead, keep getting bashed in the head if you want.

I don't need anyone to ease up on me at all. This is a message board. Stick to the topic at hand. Seriously, what can you expect? If someone makes a comment about Tennessee and Boise that in no way relates to what was said, then what could the response possibly be?

Reaction Score
I showed you the game by game attendance at the HCC and you still won't admit you are wrong. You are something else. Your link means nothing. UConn used to be better supported at the Civic Center and the numbers they publish in their media guide prove it. I'm sure your PSU roots trumps people who actually sit in the building and see it. More tremendous stuff from you there.

You didn't show me attendance. You didn't add it up. You didn't compile any stats.

I showed you attendance. I showed you compiled stats.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SO the measure of a university's commitment to a sport isn't a multi-million dollar investment in facilities, it is the quality of their social media presence....

Yeah, riiiiight.:rolleyes:

Yes, the main thing I'd pick out from my post is the social media aspect. Well done.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You didn't show me attendance. You didn't add it up. You didn't compile any stats.

I showed you attendance. I showed you compiled stats.

I didn't show you attendence? Are you blind. Fine I'll add up some years for you because you are too dense to look at the numbers.

Here you go upstater if this doesn't shut you up nothing will- HCC attendance average
1992: 15874
1994: 16230
1998: 14774
2003: 15678
2011: 13088
2012: 14465
2013: 11933

You've really made me look like a fool on this one!

pj

Reaction Score
UConn has largely been out-attended by schools with larger arenas. The Gampel 10,000 seat limit makes a big difference to stats. We're doing OK. If you compared ticket revenue we'd be high up.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to take this past year's attendance for a team with little to no national attention/buzz and comparatively low state buzz without a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
I didn't show you attendence? Are you blind. Fine I'll add up some years for you because you are too dense to look at the numbers.

Here you go upstater if this doesn't shut you up nothing will- HCC attendance average
1992: 15874
1994: 16230
1998: 14774
2003: 15678
2011: 13088
2012: 14465
2013: 11933

You've really made me look like a fool on this one!

I didn't look up 2013 (a season in which APR ban figured in). I'm sure last year is bad. I gave you total attendance and average attendance for all UConn basketball games.

Here are the numbers over 20 years:

1992: 12,963
1993: 12,498
1994: 12,502
1995: 12,996
1996: 12,911
1997: 12,578
1998: 13,007
1999: 13,345
2000: 13,543
2001: 12,543
2002: 13,709
2003: 13,229
2004: 13,549
2005: 13,771
2006: 13,948
2007: 13,012
2008: 11,887
2009: 12,518
2010: 11,685
2011: 11,569
2012: 12,640

These are the total attendance averages, not the cherrypicked numbers. And what they show is that the program has drawn pretty evenly over the last 20 years, an average right between 12,500-13,500 for the most part. In 2008, there was a big dropoff of more than 1,000, and that was the year of the financial downturn.

UConn has been drawing now for 20 odd years, and they've been winning for 20 odd years.

When it comes to Uconn attendance, it was pretty steady and even until 1991. The high water mark was also not in the 1990s but the mid 2000s.

Reaction Score
Good analysis. The ACC has continued to double down on schools in backwater markets. It doesn't seem prepared to compete head to head with the B1G and has parochial interests it is trying to protect, therefore lots of internal politics and an inconsistent business plan. The B1G has been working patiently and strategically. Kudos to Rutgers for working with them. UConn has lacked a strategic plan and has been late to the party. They should have their bearings now, but it will take big investments in the university to catch up.

The B1G vs ACC battle for NYC begins ...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/college...416791/acc-pinstripe-bowl-6-years-sources-say

The Pinstripe Bowl and the ACC have agreed to a six-year deal in which the ACC will annually play the Big Ten starting in 2014, sources said Monday.
Last month, the bowl announced an eight-year partnership with the Big Ten for the game played at Yankee Stadium.
ACC commissioner John Swofford, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner and team president Randy Levine are expected to attend a Tuesday news conference at Yankee Stadium to announce the deal, sources said.
As in the Big Ten's deal, Yankee Stadium will feature an ACC sign for all Yankees home regular-season games starting in 2014, a source said.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Uh-huh. Since UConn has been winning now for 25 years, what's the control? What's the variable? Seriously, USF against UConn???

When UConn was losing in the mid 1980s, the HCC was packed. Since then, they've been winning.

Not that the link isn't stupid but if you were to actually read it to see that it's basketball revenue relative to winning. So in the rankings it rewards teams with high revenue and less success. This is how Kentucky ends up behind Arkansas and UConn behind USF.

Reaction Score
Louisville Pays Jurich roughly three times what we pay Warde. He led Ville to a conference payout roughly 8 times more than what we will be getting. Im no math whiz, but I call that money well spent.

Jurich is great. And, Louisville has been angling for bigtime Football and have been a Hoop rising program since the early 80s. I don't think we need to denigrate a great rise by that School. (and obviously the ACC never focused on Academics)

The OP, I thought, was just crazy. It is my belief that UConn has been working a Plan for a long time. The Hathaway years were basically a flatline. But ... I think the major theme that I gather from this CR board is that WE did something wrong. This is really pretty simple ... we are a Newby in College Football at this level and that is all there is. We went from 8000 to 38,000 ... and really can go much higher (imo). That market penetration ... while in this AAC ... is the game. Silly paid consultants and lobby is just part of academia. But, we need to continue to work Football.

As for UConn athletes NOT giving to UConn. I see no disincentive for Calhoun to not push this. I don't accept the OP. Maybe we lagged during Hathaway's reign. But today??? I think Calhoun works to raise money for both the University (he loves) and the Cancer/Heart/Autism charities. No doubt in my mind.

Reaction Score
Not that the link isn't stupid but if you were to actually read it to see that it's basketball revenue relative to winning. So in the rankings it rewards teams with high revenue and less success. This is how Kentucky ends up behind Arkansas and UConn behind USF.

Saw an algorithm. That was enough for me not to take it seriously. not to mention USF ahead of UConn.

Reaction Score
I was answering a post on basketball attendance that you linked to!!!!! Your own link was about basketball.
My god, it had Providence ahead of UConn. Have you seen Providence football lately?

I have no idea what the CLC does nor do I care, but when I look at the bottom line licensing revenue in the federal reports found here (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1) UConn is at $24,807,000. Cincy, which is ahead of UConn on the CLC list, is at $10,422,000.

But, I see you're not countering the attendance figures anymore. Where do you find these bogus lists and rankings anyway?

CLC is the subsidiary of IMG that basically collects royalties on licensed goods and apparel for the majority of college schools so if you want to rank just on sales from branded goods that's probably the best ranking out there.

You were the one arguing that UConn was Top 10 in "fan support" as defined by licensing rights and ahead of "Lansing, Minnesota, Ann Arbor, etc."

If you want to use the USA Today numbers - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Michigan :
$51,864,369
Michigan State :
$36,216,822
Minnesota :
$35,785,920
UConn :
$22,138,735

Do the math for all the schools on the list if you want but UConn's no where near the top 10.

Reaction Score
CLC is the subsidiary of IMG that basically collects royalties on licensed goods and apparel for the majority of college schools so if you want to rank just on sales from branded goods that's probably the best ranking out there.

You were the one arguing that UConn was Top 10 in "fan support" as defined by licensing rights and ahead of "Lansing, Minnesota, Ann Arbor, etc."

If you want to use the USA Today numbers - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Michigan :
$51,864,369
Michigan State :
$36,216,822
Minnesota :
$35,785,920
UConn :
$22,138,735

Do the math for all the schools on the list if you want but UConn's no where near the top 10.

This is the post you responded to initially:

ME: Look at attendance.

UConn is top 25 in fan support now, used to be top 15 in 2008. When it comes to total fans (i.e. as a road draw) UConn is top 10.

And this is even with the very limited seating at Gampel.

Last week the B1G fans on this board listed a bunch of B1G teams with rabid fandom, including Lansing, Ann Arbor, Minnestoa, and several others. They said Uconn didn't have the same support. What they didn't realize is that UConn is ranked ahead of them in terms of support. Here we are again arguing the same lame things though the facts show otherwise.

YOU: How are you ranking this support? If it's by rights licensing UConn isn't ahead of any of these teams.

Clearly, we were discussing attendance.

I answered your question by saying, attendance, licensing.

UConn beats those teams on attendance. It beats all those teams on licensing too except for Michigan. You back out TV revenues which are NOT based on the individuals schools, and you measure revenues from there. Put it this way: if UConn were in the B1G, it's revenues would automatically jump ahead of those teams listed because of the conference payout. Licensing is the category into which schools list conference TV payouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom