Uconn in CR | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Uconn in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is spot on. The ACC heavyweights said it, something like UConn will always be there if we need it. With UL available all the Big 12 had to do was sway one (or three) ACC schools as whaler well points out. Who knows maybe the price of Swafford swallowing UL academics was a handshake agreement by FSU/Clemson/GT to support a future GOR.

No way is FSU/Clemson/GT signing a GOR if, once again, the ACC fb schools are bested by Tobacco Road with UConn trumping UL.

I think (unfortunately) that Swafford has played CR very well given his ACC cards. Maybe he wants UConn to lock down NYC, but he knows that until AAU is a reality for UConn there is no hurry. The BIG on the other hand has NOT played CR very well. They are in a commanding position and they come up with Maryland and RU? Yes Nebraska fell into their hands but that was a no brainer. Maryland and RU?

I think the ACC should invite UConn full member and Navy as a fb/LAX member only (maybe with a 7 year maturity. They know ND is never joining for FB so why not take back NYC, have 6 teams for a LAX league and round out a super 16 team conference.
Somehow I don't get the feeling that the powers that be are losing any sleep over LAX.

Reaction Score
I think you guys should let up on upstater. He obviously is having difficulty communicating his point of view on this thread, but you shouldn't over do bashing him. Maybe he'll figure that out himself and get off his "I'm alright, the world's all wrong" kick. I think he did offer some interesting thoughts on classifying the level the football programs were in whether you agree with all of them or not. He get's a little testy over criticism, but hey, a lot of people do.

Reaction Score
You crack me up. Ever occur to you that your nonsensical arguments are an ever moving target.

It's hilarious that you think because you were a Penn State fan that means your opinion holds weight. Oooooh, someone liked Penn State - what they say goes!

I'm unlike you. I don't like to claim people said things they didn't say. Simple as that. You have a hard time with reading, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
1-10 scale. Lets say in '04 it was a 1, and now it's a 3. You can spin that as a 300% increase all you want but a 3 is still a 3 and we are on the outside looking in. Our perception hasn't improved nearly enough- otherwise we'd be in a real conference not having discussions like these.

what in the world are you people arguing now anyway? Is the argument that we're not in the ACC? Who are you arguing with? Who disagrees with you? Do you bother answering these questions? I pointed out that back in 2004, people were recognizing that it doesn't take much to move off the bottom level, and that UConn had done it in a short time. That was obvious. It wasn't like winning a national championship. It was, however, passing a team like Indiana in short order.

Reaction Score
But you do understand everything PP says?What a clown!!Its too hot for nonsense brotha....cool off or have a drink!Better yet pick up a National Geographic instead of reading a sports blog!And you guys claim official NY credibility?

I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
I think (unfortunately) that Swafford has played CR very well given his ACC cards. Maybe he wants UConn to lock down NYC, but he knows that until AAU is a reality for UConn there is no hurry. The BIG on the other hand has NOT played CR very well. They are in a commanding position and they come up with Maryland and RU? Yes Nebraska fell into their hands but that was a no brainer. Maryland and RU?

I understand why you would question the addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G. However, until the ACC GOR, Maryland and Rutgers was intended to be just the beginning and not the end of further B1G expansion to the east. Jim Delany, a native of New Jersey, welcomes Rutgers the flagship university of his native state along with Maryland. Jim Delany, who received his bachelor and juris doctorate degree from the University of North Carolina, hopes to lure Virginia and his alma mater North Carolina to the B1G. AAU members and public research universities providing the B1G with access to rich media markets and recruiting grounds while destabilizing the ACC, the future home of the "white whale" Notre Dame, in the process. Perhaps, the loss of Virginia and North Carolina destabilizes the ACC enough that Jim Delany keeps going and invites AAU members Duke and Georgia Tech as well as football brand Florida State. This gets the B1G to 19 members ... Shazaam! Notre Dame how about you join us now since your new conference is now a shell of what it used to be? Of course this is conjecture and this gem from Off Tackle Empire relates it even better if you need a laugh:http://www.offtackleempire.com/2013...sion-rutgers-maryland-virginia-north-carolina
Regardless, Maryland and Rutgers was intended to be just the beginning and not the end of further B1G expansion to the east. If you look at it from that perspective it makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score
Come on dude, I live in Greensboro and know ACC first hand. In the history of the ACC that was the ONLY time the ACC bb schools have lost a vote to the fb schools. No way were FSU/Clemson/GT signing a GOR if UConn was invited. I won't change your mind, but its true.

The GOR was signed because Maryland left and FSU was looking at UNC, UVa, NC St and VT finding landing berths in the ACC and B1G. Simple as that.

Reaction Score
How are you ranking this support? If it's by rights licensing UConn isn't ahead of any of these teams.

They are ahead in attendance.
They are ahead in licensing.

Reaction Score
They're using data from the past 10 years.

They have an unfathomable algorithm. The past 10 years, UConn attendance was top 15 in the nation at points. In its down years, it was no worse than 26. Yet this clown has USF ahead of it. Are you seriously defending that?

Reaction Score
I said 5-6 years. If you expand the time horizon to 10 years back sure it's probably better than way back then when your average person didn't even realize UConn had a FBS team.

You responded to a post in which I mentioned the perception of UConn the year it played Indiana! I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to someone else. And, the truth is, 5-6 years ago when Matt Bonislawski was our QB, the perception had not yet reached the upward trajectory it attained in 2011.

Reaction Score
I think you guys should let up on upstater. He obviously is having difficulty communicating his point of view on this thread, but you shouldn't over do bashing him. Maybe he'll figure that out himself and get off his "I'm alright, the world's all wrong" kick. I think he did offer some interesting thoughts on classifying the level the football programs were in whether you agree with all of them or not. He get's a little testy over criticism, but hey, a lot of people do.

If you're going to be a twit and argue with me that Tennessee has more juice than Boise St. (after I wrote Tennessee is top tier and Boise isn't) what does that make you?

pj

Reaction Score
I understand why you would question the addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G. However, until the ACC GOR, Maryland and Rutgers was intended to be just the beginning and not the end of further B1G expansion to the east. Jim Delany, a native of New Jersey, welcomes Rutgers the flagship university of his native state along with Maryland. Jim Delany, who received his bachelor and juris doctorate degree from the University of North Carolina, hopes to lure Virginia and his alma mater North Carolina to the B1G. AAU members and public research universities providing the B1G with access to rich media markets and recruiting grounds while destabilizing the ACC, the future home of the "white whale" Notre Dame, in the process. Perhaps, the loss of Virginia and North Carolina destabilizes the ACC enough that Jim Delany keeps going and invites AAU members Duke and Georgia Tech as well as football brand Florida State. This gets the B1G to 19 members ... Shazaam! Notre Dame how about you join us now since your new conference is now a shell of what it used to be? Of course this is conjecture and this gem from Off Tackle Empire relates it even better if you need a laugh:http://www.offtackleempire.com/2013...sion-rutgers-maryland-virginia-north-carolina
Regardless, Maryland and Rutgers was intended to be just the beginning and not the end of further B1G expansion to the east. If you look at it from that perspective it makes perfect sense.

Maryland and Rutgers are good prizes, big markets with potential to excel in football. They were good pickups by the B1G even if they don't get anything more from the ACC.

People are too hung up by historical performance. Schools that make an investment can rise quickly up the performance rankings.

As for Delany conducting a Sherman-style march on the south, I'm sure he had hopes, but I think he's OK with where the B1G is.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Instead of drinking this last beer in the four hundred and thirty two pack of bud light I bought this morning I huskyfandan donate it to upstater. He needs it more than me 2night. I will drink a extra 2moro to make up for this if anyone is wondering.

Reaction Score
B1Galum - thanks for the link. Delany should have had GT in his pocket when Maryland/RU was announced. No way would Thomas Jefferson's UVA would ever be thought as the school which blew up the ACC. Delany needed to announce GT was joining and then waited. All hell would have broken out.

Instead the ACC is solid and his expansion is stymied. And if he doesn't watch out if the ACC taps UConn and maybe a fb only Navy then the BIG has lost NYC as well.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They have an unfathomable algorithm. The past 10 years, UConn attendance was top 15 in the nation at points. In its down years, it was no worse than 26. Yet this clown has USF ahead of it. Are you seriously defending that?

The ranking is controlling for wins - it's a ranking of how much fan support there is in a team that irregardless of how successful they are on the field.

That's why I mentioned that it's more of a ranking of the # of fair-weather fans than anything else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I showed you the game by game attendance at the HCC and you still won't admit you are wrong. You are something else. Your link means nothing. UConn used to be better supported at the Civic Center and the numbers they publish in their media guide prove it. I'm sure your PSU roots trumps people who actually sit in the building and see it. More tremendous stuff from you there.

Reaction Score
Maryland and Rutgers are good prizes, big markets with potential to excel in football. They were good pickups by the B1G even if they don't get anything more from the ACC. People are too hung up by historical performance. Schools that make an investment can rise quickly up the performance rankings. As for Delany conducting a Sherman-style march on the south, I'm sure he had hopes, but I think he's OK with where the B1G is.

I agree with you pj. I think Delany and the B1G view Maryland and Rutgers as an investment that will pay off in time and are fine with where the B1G stands now. Although a humorous take on Delany and his expansion plans, I do not think the article I linked was without an element of truth. Again, E. Gordon Gee, despite his faults, provided insight into the thinking of the B1G and a move to the southeast and conference size from 16 to 20 were at least a consideration.

B1Galum - thanks for the link. Delany should have had GT in his pocket when Maryland/RU was announced. No way would Thomas Jefferson's UVA would ever be thought as the school which blew up the ACC. Delany needed to announce GT was joining and then waited. All hell would have broken out. Instead the ACC is solid and his expansion is stymied. And if he doesn't watch out if the ACC taps UConn and maybe a fb only Navy then the BIG has lost NYC as well.

Since the ACC is off the table for B1G expansion candidates. I think the question now becomes would Jim Delany and the B1G be willing to overlook lack of AAU membership and invite UConn with a view that it is an investment that will pay off in time with respect to football, hockey, lacrosse; provide immediate reward from your status as a national championship winning basketball brand; provide further access into NYC? As you know from a few B1G posters on this board, we would like the answer to be yes.

Reaction Score
We have to increase the strength of branch campuses, increase endowment and increase overall enrollment before we become a "true B1G school". The potential is clearly there.

We are going to have to serve in the AAC. And Hockey East. HE should be fun. Never imagined I would see the day UConn becomes a hockey school.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Louisville is in the ACC because Teddy Bridgewater and Charlie Strong have put together 1 good and 1 great football season at a time when programs were being scrutinized more than any other time due to CR.

They had their big run 2 years after our big 2 year run.

I think the commitment issue just isn't fair. Louisville held onto Krags for 3 seasons, just the sand as us with and P.

I think this two year period where Ville has excelled and we have fallen down is exactly why they were selected over us.

I can say ville has a better program than us due to a longer history and higher highs but two years ago, there is no way they are selected over us when we came off our Fiesta Bowl and they were coming off the Krag era.

So while i agree they are better overall and positioned for success going forward with Strong, the commitment and tradition argument that says ville is a no brainer over UConn doesn't hold weight with me when two seasons ago we would've been in.

Compare that to two seasons ago when pitt and Cuse were taken over us solely on history. I just don't buy ville has the same cache.

we've made a lot of bad mistakes and were far from perfect, but Hathaway hiring p may go down in history as the sole thing that killed our programs.

Reaction Score

Well, one time in top 15 and many times worse than 26. Using the link you posted:
2003- 21
2004- 20
2005- 15
2006- 19
2007- 20
2008- 32
2009- 28
2010- 34
2011- 32
2012- 26

I really don't wanna know where we'd fall for 2013.

Reaction Score
Things didn't perfectly align for Louisville. They were on the cusp of being left out and they shaped the debate.

Louisville is committed to football. When UConn had the chance to prove their commitment they hired P. UConn let their opportunity slip through their fingers, Teddy Bridgewater isn't why UConn's season ticket base has eroded consistently since 2003.

UConn's conference realignment debacle is on UConn - it's not because Louisville has a good quarterback.

You can choose to believe what you want but Teddy Bridgewater had far more to do with Louisville getting in ahead of us than Tom Jurich did.

All this talk about how Jurich outworked Warde, and how UConn doesn't really care about football doesn't mean jacksquat if in Jurich's briefcase he's carrying around a resume of being a terrible academic school and an average BE football team - which he would be if Bridgewater didn't fall in their lap due to the Shannon axing at the U.

That's my point. The greatness of Bridgewater and the good fortunes of Ville in landing him are why things are where they are first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom