Uconn in CR | The Boneyard

Uconn in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Take it for what it is worth, but had a very long talk this evening with a highly placed Uconn person where I had the opportunity to probe and get honest feedback about two issues I feel are pertinent to Uconn athletic success.

When discussing CR, I was told (not surprisingly) that we will never hear anything negative from Herbst & Co about the AAC. Attitude, for now, is that we own it and we will support and encourage it in any and ever way. However, the university is in the process of hiring 2 "consultants" -- referred to as spies, to work/lobby on Uconn's behalf to "other conferences". While I was a bit disappointed to hear that these spies weren't in place 6-9 months ago, it is what it is. The charge for these consultants is to lobby and advocate for Uconn's inclusion. To educate others and market the university. Will it matter? I don't know, but it can't hurt and it is coming from non-university affiliated people, so no chance of Susan getting caught professing love of AAC while lobbying B1G.

I tried to ask about probability of success or timeframe, but hit dead ends. I was left believing that the university understands what they need to do and are marching hard with new money, scheduling tough football opponents, etc. It may all result in nothing, but this is the course they/we are taking.

When discussing the fact that NBA players have given very little, I learned 2 things. Again, this is a person intimately involved, so this is good info. He said that some NBA players give back (highlighted Emeka writing 6 figure checks - but not to athletics ) but that many of the who's who have not donated a dime. When I probed for names and reasons, I heard 2 things. First, as speculated, Calhoun not only refuses to press the alum for gifts, when he has the ability to be involved he tends to direct people to the Cancer center rather than basketball. Some at the university find it incredibly frustrating, but Calhoun is Calhoun.

Also, I was told that some NBA alum feel that they were stars before arriving on campus and that Uconn was just a means to am end. Could have just as easily been UNC, Duke or some place - so what do they really owe to university? I found this argument lacking on several levels, but it's real. Was told Walter Ray has not given a single dollar to Uconn.

I don't post this to bash anyone or to prove a point, but rathet to pass along what I learned.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If consultants weren't in place months ago I might go all HFD and start mailing threatening letters to the administration.

Reaction Score
You are right, the fact that there weren't people hired to lobby on our behalf when it could have mattered is frustrating. It is also small time, and fits the narrative that we allowed Louisville to outhustle us to the ACC.

Again, I'm going to embrace AAC from the perspective that is where UConn will be playing. I expect to see smaller crowds at the stadium but oh well.

Reaction Score
Well... at the very least you did post this to bash Mr. Shuttlesworth.

Reaction Score
Carmelo was definitely a star already when he got to Cuse too.

Reaction Score
Oh gee maybe we can hire Chuck Neinas again

Sorry IMO hiring consultants/lobbyists" is a complete waste of money. the whole college athletic consultant business is a freakin scam. Read here for more details

This is why Herbst and Manuel make the big money. Shouldn't be farming out the hard part of their job. But it's easy to spend other people's money.

U

UConn9604

Was told Walter Ray has not given a single dollar to Uconn.

Almost certain that this is false. I toured Gampel when the last set of renovations were under construction (2002-03) and there was a space for a locker for him (which he "purchased" for a few dollars, I was told), and he autographed the dry wall.

Now, I haven't been in the locker room to see if it is still there, but I have a picture of his autograph on the dry wall. At the time, he was at about $50 million in lifetime earnings, so I thought it was pretty reasonable that he might kick a million back.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lol at this thread. what a matter the sky isnt blue for all of u?????

Reaction Score
Maybe we can hire Jurich.
Louisville Pays Jurich roughly three times what we pay Warde. He led Ville to a conference payout roughly 8 times more than what we will be getting. Im no math whiz, but I call that money well spent.

Reaction Score
Is it really a secret that we want to be on another conference that we have to hire spies. What would you expect them to do ? I hope this is a joke

Reaction Score
WhartonHusky - Thanks for the post. Interesting stuff. I agree that the hiring of consultants to champion UConn to other conferences was something that should have happened around this time last year. I'd like to take a "better late, than never" stance, but who knows if it will make a difference now.

As far as the donations from the NBA players, I try to keep in mind that it's easy for me to make decisions with large sums of someone else's money. The part I don't get is what is the drawback of making a donation to something like the practice facility? You build up goodwill by doing it and you're helping the future of the program. Even if a former player thinks the basketball program was just a means to an end for them, they'd be helping some younger guys achieve that same end by giving back to the program.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
3-5 year timeline. Patience people. Good things come to those who wait. Insert another cliche here about silent confidence, patience and good things.

AAU. Men's Basketball post-APR and post-Calhoun. Football to bowl games. Continue to support the school and its athletic programs, if you are into sports in this state.

As for the NBA players not donating to the school but instead to cancer research, you can't fault that. Fighting cancer is a good cause. <---- that sentence was keyed in by Captain Obvious

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still wish JC hadn't used the prospect of future donations as a bargaining chip in his various negotiations.

pj

Reaction Score
I still wish JC hadn't used the prospect of future donations as a bargaining chip in his various negotiations.

I wish Hathaway and weak university leadership hadn't turned these relationships into semi-hostile situations where you have to use every bit of leverage you have just to be treated fairly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wish Hathaway and weak university leadership hadn't turned these relationships into semi-hostile situations where you have to use every bit of leverage you have just to be treated fairly.

Shaking head

Reaction Score
I don't think many sizable donations to universities come from 22 to 35 year olds, NBA stars or not. And, I think we have all read how many athletes have gone bust after their careers are over as they spent too heavily and thought the money would continue to flow in. Donations come from fans, not former athletes. Now, if any of you are founders of large companies and have a few bucks....

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
NBA players aren't billionaires and our alum give back in other ways like coming back to UConn to play pick up games with the current squad or give pep talks in locker rooms.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Louisville Pays Jurich roughly three times what we pay Warde. He led Ville to a conference payout roughly 8 times more than what we will be getting. Im no math whiz, but I call that money well spent.

Did he also win two BCS games?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect the NBA money is going to come in all at once and is going to come in with a condition attached. Just a hunch.

Reaction Score
The typical caveat, who knows if whartonhusky is real, and even if he is real, the person whom he spoke with actually is privy to such information?

Assuming that what he wrote is true , the part that I find the most disconcerting is the belated hiring/engagement of individuals to advance UConn's standing with the Big Ten/ACC.

Anyone with access to a computer knew the importance of realignment on UConn, even before su and pitt bolted in 2011. c.f. this boneyard thread from sept 2, 2011 http://the-boneyard.com/threads/in-...t-better-be-on-the-ball-with-realignment.724/

We have debated ad nauseum uconn's plight for years on this forum. Hopefully, this effort is a continuation of uconn's strategy, and not some ham fisted reaction to a sudden realization that things are bad, really really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom