Uconn in CR | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to who? The not yet created committee that will be deciding who will be determining the playoff seeds?

Sagarin ratings are fine but you're assuming that committee members made up mostly of conferences who play a CCG will give an advantage to a conference that doesn't. I don't think that's a fair assumption to make.

Take a look at the mock committee article from SI last year. Admittedly the make-up is different from what the end result will be but the Big 12 champ KSU was ranked #6 by the mock committee (and later pushed down below the top 8 after the re-vote to cast the #4 team).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Explain.

Don't know his reason and I'm not saying I agree because I don't think FSU would go, but the Big 12 could take Louisville as 11 and an ACC team (FSU, Clemson) for 12.

Reaction Score
Don't know his reason and I'm not saying I agree because I don't think FSU would go, but the Big 12 could take Louisville as 11 and an ACC team (FSU, Clemson) for 12.

The teams clearly wanted to appease FSU. That was smart of them. Why mess with the big dog. Some were already aligned against UConn, like Miami and BC. But at the end of the day, the addition of a middling football school like Louisville does not do much to make the ACC more stable.

Reactions: pj

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The teams clearly wanted to appease FSU. That was smart of them. Why mess with the big dog. Some were already aligned against UConn, like Miami and BC. But at the end of the day, the addition of a middling football school like Louisville does not do much to make the ACC more stable.

If Louisville is middling I'd hate to see the descriptors of UConn.

Reaction Score
If Louisville is middling I'd hate to see the descriptors of UConn.

How is Louisville NOT middling?

UConn is a middling team without a history.

Louisville is a middling team WITH a history.

When you get beat by UConn and get blown out by Syracuse in your best year, you're middling.

When you go 4-4 against a UConn team that entered D1 a decade ago, you're middling.

It's absolutely no secret to anyone that UConn football isn't formidable. As for me, I think UConn is ahead of where I expected them to be, and the production of NFL players by this school is incredibly impressive. That being said, the QB and the offense have been major detriments.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How is Louisville NOT middling?

UConn is a middling team without a history.

Louisville is a middling team WITH a history.

When you get beat by UConn and get blown out by Syracuse in your best year, you're middling.

When you go 4-4 against a UConn team that entered D1 a decade ago, you're middling.

It's absolutely no secret to anyone that UConn football isn't formidable. As for me, I think UConn is ahead of where I expected them to be, and the production of NFL players by this school is incredibly impressive. That being said, the QB and the offense have been major detriments.

I never said they weren't middling - I merely was wondering if a sold out expanded stadium, a high preseason ranking in 2013 and two BCS wins in the last 5-6 years is middling what the hell is 10-14 and a team that might not be bowl eligible in the AAC.

Sure in 2003 this might have looked acceptable for UConn. After 2010 it's an embarrassment to the athletic department. The fact there were that many draft picks on the roster makes it even more disappointing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UCONN would be described as a team that beat a middling football team like Louisville.

This stuff is similar to a Providence fan crowing about beating UConn in a season where they don't make the NIT.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This stuff is similar to a Providence fan crowing about beating UConn in a season where they don't make the NIT.
Only if Louisville was a 3 time national champion with a 25 year history of sustained success. In this case it's simply true.

Reaction Score
I never said they weren't middling - I merely was wondering if a sold out expanded stadium, a high preseason ranking in 2013 and two BCS wins in the last 5-6 years is middling what the hell is 10-14 and a team that might not be bowl eligible in the AAC.

Sure in 2003 this might have looked acceptable for UConn. After 2010 it's an embarrassment to the athletic department. The fact there were that many draft picks on the roster makes it even more disappointing.

Preseason ranking, eh?
The AAC stuff we know about. What are you asking anyway? I'm not sure I get it.
The two BCS wins are very nice--wish UConn had them. They look good. But at the end of the day, you look back at BCS history, and the lesser games are not exactly what they are cracked up to be. In terms of competition, it's as good as a win against South Carolina.

When UConn was slated against Oklahoma, everyone had to know that was the worst possible draw. I remember the look on the face of some bball friends at Boston U., when they had 2 future NBAers on the team, they were looking for a 13 or 14 seed when they had their best season in ages. The NCAA committee saddled them with a 15 and a game against Duke. That's the kind of look I had when UConn drew Oklahoma. I knew that the Sooners had several bad bowl performances in a row, including losses to non-BCS teams. The postseason for them was underwhelming. A loss to UConn would have set their program on a big backward roll. Couple that with their quick-paced offense (that you just knew Edsall could not prepare for) and that game was a nightmare. You'd rather UConn take on anyone else that year except for the top 2.

Look at the teams: Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, heck Ohio State! Anyone but the Sooners.

Reaction Score

I don't think it's the same at all. UConn has won at the highest levels. Louisville football hasn't. I mean, Syracuse took ville to the woodshed last year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here is what I know:

Louisville expanded their stadium and sells out their games.

They won two BCS bowls in recent history.

They have a very good coach who is committed to them.

It was enough to vault them over UConn into the ACC even with laughable academics.

So while you guys want to act like there is no difference between UConn and Louisville because of one game last season that's nice - the ACC and most of the rest of the world perceive it differently.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Here is what I know:

It was enough to vault them over UConn into the ACC even with laughable academics.

So while you guys want to act like there is no difference between UConn and Louisville because of one game last season that's nice - the ACC and most of the rest of the world perceive it differently.
They are a middling team with basically middling results. They have done it longer than Uconn and with more fans. Doesn't make anything said earlier untrue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They are a middling team with basically middling results. They have done it longer than Uconn and with more fans. Doesn't make anything said earlier untrue.

So the original comment; if they are middling I don't want to see what words describe UConn.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So the original comment; if they are middling I don't want to see what words describe UConn.
A middling team with a shorter history and fewer fans but who is their equal head to head

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here is what I know:

My only point of contention is the stadium size/capacity issue.

As a top 25 team they drew 45k in a 55k seat stadium for our game last season. Aside from last season, you very rarely see The Rent with many empty seats.

Basically, they hired Strong and we hired P and have been on opposite trajectories since then.

I think there is nothing inherently better about Louisville than UConn except they've been better the past two seasons and that was enough to get then in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My only point of contention is the stadium size/capacity issue.

As a top 25 team they drew 45k in a 55k seat stadium for our game last season. Aside from last season, you very rarely see The Rent with many empty seats.

Basically, they hired Strong and we hired P and have been on opposite trajectories since then.

I think there is nothing inherently better about Louisville than UConn except they've been better the past two seasons and that was enough to get then in.

If the Rent had 55k seats there would be 16,500 more empty every week.

The inherent difference is their commitment to athletics. When the door opened they knocked UConn out of the way and walked through it.

I keep reading here how there is no difference. Yet, the ACC held their nose on Louisville's academics. The perception elsewhere is different than the perception here. Now maybe that's because people have short memories, but it's like the Big 10 talk here - it only exists in this bubble.

Reaction Score
Guys like Rudy Gay do tons of charity and community work. I'm not going to get on their case if they choose to help the needy instead of UConn athletics.
Why can't you do both?

Reaction Score
Please don't compare UConn football to Providence basketball.

Reaction Score
Here is what I know:

The difference between UConn and Louisville is Teddy Bridgewater.

Sorry but it's really that simple and if you don't believe me then you didn't watch the UConn/UL game or the UL/Florida game.

Reaction Score
UConn has had a pretty damn good 10 year run in football unless you expected them to win a Fiesta Bowl against a nationally acclaimed college football power within 10 years.
Their basketball has been outstanding and the nay-sayers who said the basketball program would suck when Calhoun left might actually be wrong.
And they are a pretty damn good academic school fitting perfectly in the ACC both academically and geographically, better than Louisville does.
But it was all about making FSU and to a lesser extent BC happy so there you go.

As long as it makes you feel content to keep bitching away at a 10-year football program that has done some pretty impressive things then have at it I guess.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was on record as saying past players had given enough to the university, and that he would not ask them to contribute toward the practice facility. I always thought it was due his feud with Hathaway but maybe that wasn't the case. In any event if Calhoun doesn't think he NBA alums should donate toward athletics why should the players themselves feel inclined to do so? This really is on the fans and the schools fundraisers.

I will be honest. Until our pros are done with sports and have figured out their long-term finances I don't think they have an obligation to do anything. Some of the NBA guys are set but lots of pros end up bust. For most of them they aren't making big money for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom