Uconn in CR | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the info is real and come from someone very high up at UConn who is absolutely in a position to know all this information. It's someone I've known and worked with in a fundraising capacity at the University. I prefer not to name names, but I have no agenda here.

I appreciate skepticism and I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I have the exact same vested interest as any/all alums and I thought this was some interesting info.

I don't know if this is the first and only thing UConn has done to advance their position with B1G and ACC -- it's just what they are choosing to do at this point. I think they understand that they have to make the best of the AAC for now, but want to make sure that they are constantly whispering in the ear of the others for when the next move is made.

Why and how we are in the position we are in is irrelevant. I tend to believe it's a sound strategy given where we sit today and one that is hopefully successful.

Reaction Score
If true, I believe our situation is worse than I thought. Delany had been talking to the Rutgers AD for a good year or two before they got the call up. If Warde or Susan need these "spies", than I am very concerned that Delany has not been prepping Warde and Susan on what UConn needs to do to get the call up to the big leagues like Snookie did. But then again maybe these lobbying "spies" are a part of the process along with Delaney considering there is a voting process involved as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the situation is worse than you thought, it's because you believe the Big Ten noise that exists only on this board.

Reaction Score
Wharton, why now? What has changed over the last couple of months? Basically, what was the impetus for this move? To a cynic, it's akin to going to the beach, getting sunburned, then stopping off at the drugstore on the way home to buy sunscreen.

Also, which conference(s) are the target of this effort?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some of you are making the mistake of assuming that these are the first consultants that have been hired to advance UConn's cause - they're not. I'm sure they will not be the last either.

Reaction Score
Not to worry. Uconnmoney wrote that our rebirth is coming. Soon.

I am going to stick my head in the toilet. Soon.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
the info is real and come from someone very high up at UConn who is absolutely in a position to know all this information. It's someone I've known and worked with in a fundraising capacity at the University. I prefer not to name names, but I have no agenda here.

I appreciate skepticism and I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I have the exact same vested interest as any/all alums and I thought this was some interesting info.

I don't know if this is the first and only thing UConn has done to advance their position with B1G and ACC -- it's just what they are choosing to do at this point. I think they understand that they have to make the best of the AAC for now, but want to make sure that they are constantly whispering in the ear of the others for when the next move is made.

Why and how we are in the position we are in is irrelevant. I tend to believe it's a sound strategy given where we sit today and one that is hopefully successful.
It's just inadequate enough to believe it is the plan.

Reaction Score
If the situation is worse than you thought, it's because you believe the Big Ten noise that exists only on this board.

What about the ACC noise? Because that is looking as an impossibility along the same lines as the Big 10. In short, love AAC!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just want everything to burn.

Reaction Score
Guys like Rudy Gay do tons of charity and community work. I'm not going to get on their case if they choose to help the needy instead of UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
I don't profess to know all the history, but would agree that these are not the first consultants Uconn has used in this process.

I asked the question of whether there might be any behind the scenes communication between Uconn and other conferences. I was hoping to hear that we were given some to-dos and told to be patient. Instead, what this person said was that the President couldn't be seen having lunch with another conference commissioner - it just wouldn't look right. So instead, Uconn was hiring these "consultants" to act as our agents.

He then went on about football scheduling, winning games, remaining relevant, etc etc.

Again, I am not trying to claim that I know all that's going on or if anything is going on. This is just what this person told me when i pressed for info on CR. I thought the datapoint was worth sharing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If there is a God, those "consultants" are really Russian prostitutes whose idea of "promoting UConn's interests" involve getting pictures of Delaney, Swofford and even Slive in the sack.

With goats.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If there is a God, those "consultants" are really Russian prostitutes whose idea of "promoting UConn's interests" involve getting pictures of Delaney, Swofford and even Slive in the sack.

With goats.

Or with each other........................................and the goat.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Fwiw donyell has reportedly made large donations, for what purpose I don't know. I know former pitcher Charles Nagy also donated a nice amount. Don't know about others. I have no clue about how many pro athletes donate to their universities.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
NBA players aren't billionaires and our alum give back in other ways like coming back to UConn to play pick up games with the current squad or give pep talks in locker rooms.
I'm not even a millionaire and I've given thousands. Is it too much for them to do something?

pj

Reaction Score

With goats.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reaction Score

With goats.

They'd better be damn fine looking goats. I don't think the youtube hits will be all that high if they're just your average, run-of-the-mill caprines.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'm not even a millionaire and I've given thousands. Is it too much for them to do something?
Thank you for your donations (and to all who donate). Would I love for Ray Ray to pony up a mil or two of course, but I'm not mad at him if he doesn't.

I wonder why they haven't done more with donating but maybe they've done 100k here or there and it's gone unpublished (though I doubt it). It is nice though that they still come back and it's def good to have them win NBA chips. Recruits take notice.

We need a T Boone. We need an Under Armor type alum to throw us some insane amounts of cash. We got some nice gifts from burton shenkman and the worths. Now it's time to kick it up a notch.

Reaction Score
What I find amazing about CR is that with the 4 team playoff right around the corner the BIG 12 just carries on with 10 members, no championship game and the SEC, BIG, and PAC 12 all say "fine"? WTF??

Not a stable equation. So CR will continue. All will be know within 2 years.

You really can't blame SH or WM for anything. The fb schools in the ACC stood up for the first time ever (and like the game or Risk) it was so much more in the ACC's interest to name UL instead of UConn. If UConn was picked the ACC would be measureably more unstable than with UL.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count on the issue being pushed until it actually happens on the field and the Big 12 is left outside looking in. Unless that happens the first year of the playoffs, it can be a while before the Big 12 goes back to 12.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was on record as saying past players had given enough to the university, and that he would not ask them to contribute toward the practice facility. I always thought it was due his feud with Hathaway but maybe that wasn't the case. In any event if Calhoun doesn't think he NBA alums should donate toward athletics why should the players themselves feel inclined to do so? This really is on the fans and the schools fundraisers.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count on the issue being pushed until it actually happens on the field and the Big 12 is left outside looking in. Unless that happens the first year of the playoffs, it can be a while before the Big 12 goes back to 12.

Right now the BIG 12 has statistically a measured advantage over the SEC, BIG, ACC, and PAC 12 due to no championship game. Everybody knows that. You do not need anything on the field to change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom