UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality…

Reaction Score
I’m assuming this is accurate… I’ve seen the attendance numbers but didn’t go back to check other incentives. I’m guessing the comment/response today isn’t about Mora $$ but moreso program $ and taking care of his staff $ moving forward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't see where more money comes from without joining a conference that can pay it. To join a conference that pays more, we need to leave the Big East. If Mora is looking for investment now, then we need money now, and more than a Big East TV contract can pay.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just as you want to support him, which I can respect, I'll ask sincerely where that money will come from. The cost of attendance for the university has doubled in ten years. Non-football fans already think the athletic budget is out of control.

Also, most of the teams I have read about joining the big conferences do so with a progressively bigger over time revenue sharing. They don't get an equal chunk of the pie immediately. Look up Rutgers, for example. They are STILL not making B1G money and they have been in the conference for years. I appreciate your passion, and I'm all for spending if some T Boon Pickens oil money comes into the budget like with Oklahoma St., but it'll be a hard sell to the 3 million CT residents that aren't packing the rent ever weekend in the fall.
So how much money do you believe should be spent on athletics given that you said we’re already spending too much? What do you feel would be the right number?

Reaction Score
Assuming this is from Mora’s Weekly Sunday Media availability:

Not sure @ this point what the actual question was to elicit the response but he’s clearly laying the financial groundwork/expectations…

(It’s a quick 1:46 listen)

What was the question in reference too?

We have to have the context. I haven’t seen it yet.

Reaction Score
There’s two games left. He wants to pay his assistants more and have more roster spots. No surprise. We knew this all along, it’s just nearing time to deal with it.
This is actually something he should get. Is that what he was asking? Ir was bigger recruiting budget, more Bells and whistles, more big time marketing.

Tbh. None of the previous coaches wanted to do any of the marketing stuff.

Bob wanted to do it, but only if he could design and run the campaign.

Reaction Score
It's really time to get to the bare minimum of sports so that we can devote resources to the sports that matter. Obviously, we need to keep Title IX considerations, but moves need to be made.
We're pretty much there. Minimum is 6 for men. We're at 7 for men and golf is (almost?) entirely donor-funded at this point. And when we tried to cut a women's sport we got sued for Title IX. Think the sports are stuck where they are

Reaction Score
… and it wouldn’t surprise me @ all if this commentary/timing has already been cleared through AD Dave.
I hope you're right because if it wasn't said with Benedict's agreement, I would be disappointed. Let's not forget that Mora was the one who contacted Benedict about the job, Benedict spent days with him discussing the job, and Mora knew what he was getting into when he took the job.

As others have said, I would like to hear the whole interview and get the context of why he started talking about this.

Reaction Score
So how much money do you believe should be spent on athletics given that you said we’re already spending too much? What do you feel would be the right number?
I didn't say we spend too much. That would be an opinion. I said we spend significantly more than we take in. I don't know the exact deficit, but it has been quoted in the thread, it is astronomical, it is not sustainable, and it needs to be made up from... somewhere.

I don't get paid 6 figures to determine what we should spend. But I do know that I wouldn't spend twice my income for a year, over and over without some promise of future reward or compensation to make my finances whole.

How much further would you be willing to put the budget in the red, and when and with what funds would you pay it down with?

If Benedict knows something I don't and the ACC is going to come calling soon, I'd absolutely be fine watching us put a bit more out. But if that was the case, Mora probably wouldn't be sending this message in such a manner.

Reaction Score
I didn't say we spend too much. That would be an opinion. I said we spend significantly more than we take in. I don't know the exact deficit, but it has been quoted in the thread, it is astronomical, it is not sustainable, and it needs to be made up from... somewhere.

I don't get paid 6 figures to determine what we should spend. But I do know that I wouldn't spend twice my income for a year, over and over without some promise of future reward or compensation to make my finances whole.

How much further would you be willing to put the budget in the red, and when and with what funds would you pay it down with?

If Benedict knows something I don't and the ACC is going to come calling soon, I'd absolutely be fine watching us put a bit more out. But if that was the case, Mora probably wouldn't be sending this message in such a manner.
Who do you want the promise from? What we do know is the schools that got the call up to a P5 we're spending more than us on football.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'Mora probably wouldn't be sending this message in such a manner.'

jim mora, he of prolly grossing 20-30 millions so far, sent this message early and often at the only similar job he held. Ucla.
'Now that he’s gone, Mora’s replacement will benefit from something Mora’s presence helped make possible, and remember that if the new guy ever complains about having to start with so little.

During his tenure, Mora also pushed for and received additional money to pay assistant coaches, no small development at a time when being the defensive coordinator at Louisville can be a $1.3 million position.'

Miller: Jim Mora’s gone from UCLA but his legacy shouldn’t be forgotten

Reaction Score

Those are all good points and I think his vision, our vision, is that UCONN Football plays in a power conference like the ACC. That takes winning and it takes money. Maybe he is just reminding people that our .500 record is fine and all but the Husky Revolution takes prolonged and significant investment. We are either 100% committed to it or we aren't. At this point it really is a gamble because no matter how much we spend, we don't know when or if that invitation will be coming. It certainly won't be coming if don't commit to it.

I don't understand why Will Aldam posted the abbreviated version of the interview and hasn't posted the question. We are all in the dark here.

Reaction Score
Who do you want the promise from? What we do know is the schools that got the call up to a P5 we're spending more than us on football.
UConn is a football independent. And it earns basketball money. All of the schools you're likely thinking of -- any of the old Big East, Cincy from the AAC, TCU, etc etc etc -- are and were affiliated with conferences when they got invited and make way more than we do. Of course they spend more than we do. We would have made more money from the Big East TV deal that was turned down (and killed the conference) ages ago than we make now. That's a crazy disparity in finances.

It sucks being the debbie downer in the room, and no one will like me for saying it, but I legitimately don't see where the money comes from and when it gets paid down. Donors will make up some of it, sure, but I don't think it's a coincidence that student fees and overall cost of attendance have increased exponentially at the same time we've been running a colossal athletic deficit.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I always thought people pretending mora being early 60s would keep him here was weird. He’d have around 10-15 years of coaching left in him if his health keeps up.

Reaction Score
Those are all good points and I think his vision, our vision, is that UCONN Football plays in a power conference like the ACC. That takes winning and it takes money. Maybe he is just reminding people that our .500 record is fine and all but the Husky Revolution takes prolonged and significant investment. We are either 100% committed to it or we aren't. At this point it really is a gamble because no matter how much we spend, we don't know when or if that invitation will be coming. It certainly won't be coming if don't commit to it.

I don't understand why Will Aldam posted the abbreviated version of the interview and hasn't posted the question. We are all in the dark here.
Reasonable response. Thanks for not being snarky haha. I get people are passionate about this. I sat around until the very end of the Houston game last year, ugly as it was, and made my wife too, so that we could clap for the team as they left the field. I want the program to be successful, but maybe I'm just too risk averse and content with mediocrity. Either way, I think I need to show myself the door cause in my honest attempt at conversation I'm just pushing people towards blowing a gasket.

Reaction Score
UConn is a football independent. And it earns basketball money. All of the schools you're likely thinking of -- any of the old Big East, Cincy from the AAC, TCU, etc etc etc -- are and were affiliated with conferences when they got invited and make way more than we do. Of course they spend more than we do. We would have made more money from the Big East TV deal that was turned down (and killed the conference) ages ago than we make now. That's a crazy disparity in finances.

It sucks being the debbie downer in the room, and no one will like me for saying it, but I legitimately don't see where the money comes from and when it gets paid down. Donors will make up some of it, sure, but I don't think it's a coincidence that student fees and overall cost of attendance have increased exponentially at the same time we've been running a colossal athletic deficit.
I'm not knocking you, you bring up legit points. But it's a chicken or the egg scenario. There are no guarantees that if they spend they will get into the desired FB conference. It is a guarantee that if they don't they will never go anywhere.

Houston, Cincinnati and UCF were in the AAC with us and we're providing massive institutional support to athletics and football. Their bet paid off. Houston in particular had quite subsidy.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Reasonable response. Thanks for not being snarky haha. I get people are passionate about this. I sat around until the very end of the Houston game last year, ugly as it was, and made my wife too, so that we could clap for the team as they left the field. I want the program to be successful, but maybe I'm just too risk averse and content with mediocrity. Either way, I think I need to show myself the door cause in my honest attempt at conversation I'm just pushing people towards blowing a gasket.
no way. u say legit and logical observations, which in fact may rule the day. im just shilling for a serious effort at the couch cushion search.
i found a c-note there once.
it's also true that mora's money pitch at ucla worked, and they landed a donor whale to spend millions on the program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The don’t understand your point. Are you saying that our current deficit is fine?

Reaction Score

UCONN has a history of making the most of its opportunities. Basketball in the Big East. Hockey in Hockey East. Even football in a big way in the Big East. UCONN Football will thrive in the right situation and getting there will take commitment. I am sure HCJM and AD David Benedict are both behind this.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I could see bumping Mora up to 2 mil with incentives. Then scrounge together whatever you can for the assistants. But I don’t think he’s accomplished enough to make any more demands.

Reaction Score
The don’t understand your point. Are you saying that our current deficit is fine?
I said it is astronomical and unsustainable -- does that sound "fine"?

At some point we will need to find some more Peters to pay Paul.

Reaction Score
That would be one possibility. The other is his agent is already getting calls and he's making excuses for bailing out after one year. Time will tell.
A third could be this is simply good salesmanship. An appreciation for the moment and not letting it pass into the offseason without squeezing all the juice you can out of it. It would seem to me — the best time to sell UConn football (donations, tickets for your last home game, merch, whatever) would be when you’re on the verge of post season play; when media and former players are creating buzz; when your casual fan starts hearing at work or in conversation what we’ve been seeing and feeling for weeks.

A bowl game isn’t certain. We could get waxed by Liberty next week, or worse, limp out of West Point to 5-7. All that’s certain is that the team has never had more attention in Mora’s tenure here than it does right now, and seemingly everyone agrees Mora is our guy and respects what he has to say. If you can get people to feel like they need to donate or pledge to buy bowl tickets (what convenient timing) by having Mora give a gut check, why wouldn’t you do it? Arguably that is part of Mora’s job as Head Coach. Fire up your players, yes - but also fire up your fans and donors. And right now he has the good will and credibility to make people listen.

And I believe Mora is completely aligned with Benedict. Benedict spent a week out on Mora’s ranch during the interview. They talked about everything. Mora is not finding out things about UConn’s resources that he wasn’t informed of. I have to imagine they’ve discussed effective ways and times to lean on donors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom