UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality… | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality…

Reaction Score
UCONN has a history of making the most of its opportunities. Basketball in the Big East. Hockey in Hockey East. Even football in a big way in the Big East. UCONN Football will thrive in the right situation and getting there will take commitment. I am sure HCJM and AD David Benedict are both behind this.
I hope so. If it's coordinated, and Benedict knew, that doesn't bother me as much. Others have said this, but the cynic in me read it as setting the stage for a departure if we couldn't deliver things that are way beyond our means to deliver. That might be unfair of me, considering how hard he's worked already, and for how little.

Reaction Score
I could see bumping Mora up to 2 mil with incentives. Then scrounge together whatever you can for the assistants. But I don’t think he’s accomplished enough to make any more demands.
So you are OK paying Mora less than Diaco would have made in 2020 when Mora has totally changed the narrative at UConn and he has had surprising initial success?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I said it is astronomical and unsustainable -- does that sound "fine"?

At some point we will need to find some more Peters to pay Paul.
Well, you said that you didn’t say it was too much, and now you’re saying it is too much. So, you do think it’s too high. OK, then let me read ask my question. What do you think it should be?

Reaction Score
Well, you said that you didn’t say it was too much, and now you’re saying it is too much. So, you do think it’s too high. OK, then let me read ask my question. What do you think it should be?
"Astronomical" simply means a lot. I think any person with sensible financial health would think that spending twice as much as you earn in a year is "a lot" and not sustainable for a prolonged period. You obviously disagree, but I'm amazed that's the hill you want to make your stand on. I'd challenge you to run your own household that way for a decade and see how you feel about it.

I'll tell you, to the cent, how much we should spend when you tell me, to the cent: how much extra UConn can afford to borrow, who we borrow it from now, who will pay for it in the future, and when they will pay. To the cent. UConn students have been paying 5 million a year directly to fund the deficit for athletics (if not more, cause really a huge chunk of the university's money comes from them).

CL82

Reaction Score
"Astronomical" simply means a lot. I think any person with sensible financial health would think that spending twice as much as you earn in a year is "a lot" and not sustainable for a prolonged period. You obviously disagree, but I'm amazed that's the hill you want to make your stand on. I'd challenge you to run your own household that way for a decade and see how you feel about it.

I'll tell you, to the cent, how much we should spend when you tell me, to the cent: how much extra UConn can afford to borrow, who we borrow it from now, who will pay for it in the future, and when they will pay. To the cent. UConn students have been paying 5 million a year directly to fund the deficit for athletics (if not more, cause really a huge chunk of the university's money comes from them).
So, let me ask again, now that we’ve established that you think the university spending too much on athletics, how much do you think they should spend? It doesn’t have to be to the penny, just roughly. Should we cut any sport that cost more than it earns? I just want to get a sense for the basis for your opinion.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one annoyed about the lack of context?

This should be lede story Monday.

What question prompted the answer?

What was the discussion?

What exactly is he talking About? In what department does university have to spend more (food, amenities for players, NIL, recruiting budget, roster wise?).

Essentially, what infrastructure and spending. Needs are holding back building a consistently good team.

I don’t know. They have excellent facilities, new locker room. Dorm situations? Is it how big they go with recruiting budget? Is it spending more on cost of attendance?

These things are what I would like to know.

In fairness to Benedict, he has had presidential instability for the last 4 years. Hard for him to ask for more money with no hope. Now we have hope, and you have to make the case.

I like Mora’s ideas on marketing. You want to brand the program, make football be everywhere. Do everything you can to get people in the seats .

Reaction Score
So, let me ask again, now that we’ve established that you think the university spending too much on athletics, how much do you think they should spend? It doesn’t have to be to the penny, just roughly. Should we cut any sport that cost more than it earns? I just want to get a sense for the basis for your opinion.
Now that we've established you want the university to spend money it doesn't have, I'll repeat my questions: how much extra can UConn afford to borrow, who do we borrow it from now, who will pay for it in the future, and when will they have to pay it back by?

I do not have an answer to a question as complex as yours, but if the answer exists, it is in this data I've linked to. It's not flattering towards UConn's situation, as compared to other state universities and similarly performing football schools. I guess we can just increase tuition and student fees until we find the breaking point, or get it from the state until it is no longer politically possible to do so. That's where we max out, no?

Sportico’s Intercollegiate Finance Database

Reaction Score
JM deserves 3 million per year. Assistant coaches need 250 k per year and coordinators 500 k. Although I expect we will now get our share of the top talent in New England with BC sliding into oblivion, we need a national recruiting budget.

As far as getting a P5 membership, forget the ACC. We are far better off in the Big 12 with WVU and Cincinnati. If we had stayed in the AAC, I believe we would be in the Big 12 today, given that we really bring both the NYC and Boston TV markets.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If Mora is being vocal because he is aligned with Benedict on the need for the school to be more supportive of the football program...then cool...keep pushing. That's how you get results. He has earned it.

If Mora is pushing because he is unhappy with what he has seen from the school...and he is basically saying they need to step up or he is gone...well that would suck.

He needs to clarify what he is saying. Is it a threat...or is he just trying to accelerate improvement?

I think...and hope...it's the latter.

Reaction Score
Mora gave an absolute honest answer and if that sounds like him asking for more money for the program, that is exactly what it is and don't kid yourself otherwise.

Who is he asking it from? Not sure exactly. Could be all kinds of people in the wider audience. However, if you want to move upward then money has to be spent. If you want to compete with the big boys and pretend you are a big boy you have to actually do what they do. You have to invest in facilities and resources.

The best way to look like an athlete is not a body suit and a tan in a can. Its by working out 3-4 hours a day and getting your nutrition in check.

The best way to be a big boy football team is to invest in those items and it is going to take money. Now who should he ask it from? The tax payer? Big name donors? I don't know. However, he would be irresponsible not to lay the ground work towards those ends. If you want to be 3-9 and contemplating calling up the Colonial Athletic Association you know what to do. If you really want to be "Big 10" then you know what to do.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Could be a message of dissatisfaction with the fan base and budget. Could be a coordinated wordsmith from him and AD.

Either way, we’re 5-5 with a ranked opponent visiting on Saturday with a chance to be bowl eligible. Believe it or not this is a massive game for the program and the state. We need to get 25k+ to the Rent v. Liberty at the very least.

This is a well-timed message asking for the fanbase and funding to step up. Why would Mora want to stay if the school and the fanbase aren’t serious?

CL82

Reaction Score
Now that we've established you want the university to spend money it doesn't have, I'll repeat my questions: how much extra can UConn afford to borrow, who do we borrow it from now, who will pay for it in the future, and when will they have to pay it back by?

I do not have an answer to a question as complex as yours, but if the answer exists, it is in this data I've linked to. It's not flattering towards UConn's situation, as compared to other state universities and similarly performing football schools. I guess we can just increase tuition and student fees until we find the breaking point, or get it from the state until it is no longer politically possible to do so. That's where we max out, no?

Sportico’s Intercollegiate Finance Database
Lol, Got it, you don’t have an opinion you’re just looking to troll.

Reaction Score
Couple things:

"Nowhere close to where we need to be to get the top guys" (context was recruiting).

- I hope when JM signed here he didn't seriously think we would ever be recruiting the "top guys" when we are stuck in G5 status and we certainly don't need the "top guys" to be over .500 when 65% of our schedule is a G5 schedule (as it should be given we are currently a G5 team)

- Shouldn't recruiting improve significantly without anymore money being thrown at it just by winning and improving our program's image?

No doubt what he is really saying is give me and my staff a big fat raise or we are gone. Which is fine, he deserves a raise, but lets face it if its maximum money he is after we really can't compete at the top level with our current (lack of) revenue situation.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Glass half-full comment:

About 80% of FBS should be doing this exact review right now. The only ones left out are the usual playoff suspects (top of SEC, Clemson, and a few others), and the ones who are satisfied in their status (the MAC, service academies).

Most of the sport can't reasonably be expected to compete at the highest level. Especially in this conference realignment saga, schools need to know their aspirations, and what gets them there.

Mora's comment could be used on really any of those 80%, it's just that our goals and realignment situation makes things a little more urgent.

Reaction Score
I never got the feeling the school cheaped out post RE 1.0, I mean both PP and Disco were on more money than Mora is now, and I'm sure the football budget was on the lower P5 then. We only really started to cut back on expenses when RE 2.0 came in, but I felt that was more a case of having to pay Diacos buyout and not having P5 money to do it.

I will say, I don't expect us to suddenly double to football budget over night. I do think we can increase the assistant pool by 500k (more if donors put in), and then get a plan in place to eventually ramp up to bottom P5 money.

Lastly, for those saying we should use CT surplus money on the football team, this ain't Mississippi. We have a lot more needs we can use the money for than that.

Reaction Score
I never got the feeling the school cheaped out post RE 1.0, I mean both PP and Disco were on more money than Mora is now, and I'm sure the football budget was on the lower P5 then. We only really started to cut back on expenses when RE 2.0 came in, but I felt that was more a case of having to pay Diacos buyout and not having P5 money to do it.

I will say, I don't expect us to suddenly double to football budget over night. I do think we can increase the assistant pool by 500k (more if donors put in), and then get a plan in place to eventually ramp up to bottom P5 money.

Lastly, for those saying we should use CT surplus money on the football team, this ain't Mississippi. We have a lot more needs we can use the money for than that.
You are misinformed then.

They cheaped out on PP and Diaco, who got everything he wanted shot down (crazy?).

Edsall 2.0? Cheaped out would have been welcome. Downright sabotage level. They needed a Sunday collection plate to fund the program even before Covid.

Randy raised the money for the new locker rooms himself.

The entire football apparatus collapsed after move to aac. They just stopped promoting football program on many ways. Ticket marketing would be No. 1.

Reaction Score
We just need the D'Amelio's to get a lot richer, a lot faster, and this problem solves itself!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Giving this year's relative success, and a 5-5 record on this date, today is the perfect day to mention this.
No, it isn't. One can't seem to enjoy a decent UConn win these days without someone putting the touch on you next day. Mora has to win at least one of the last two now.

Reaction Score
I like his frankness and aggression on the subject. He is striking while the iron is hot, as he should. When people question why we’d make the investment, the answers are all around you. We didn’t play to win and now Cincy and UCF are in the B12.

You need to hire the right people and pay them. That gets you a decent ROI. Underinvesting makes for a bad product and is ultimately just burning money.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Do we know what the source of the limitation is?

I was viewing part of the recruiting budget increase to find prospective walk-ons.
This is the question to ask. We need to identify the areas we need to develop to compete, then create a funding plan. AD Dave and Mora are the people with the answers. Let's listen to them and support their vision.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I am curious about the donor issue. Connecticut has a lot of wealthy residents, UCONN has many wealthy alums. Do we have a football booster club? My kids' high school sports teams all do. I'd donate if I knew how and I knew it would improve the program.

Reaction Score
I love Mora is saying this out loud and in public. It shows that he cares and is pointing out what pretty much any warm weather fan of UConn football knows and that is it need $$$ investment. The school has the money, but for some reason it seems that folks in charge think investing in Football means the basketball programs will kick the bucket. I know without P5 TV money it's a bit tight than they like it to be, but football drives the bus and a success program brings in more money than the basketball programs.

Reaction Score
No, it isn't. One can't seem to enjoy a decent UConn win these days without someone putting the touch on you next day. Mora has to win at least one of the last two now.
Agree to disagree.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with @JohnFSilver, there is missing context here. Throughout this thread there is a lot of guesswork about what he means and whether he is or isn't aligned with Benedict. Speculation on motive all over the place. As for actual evidence of any of that, I haven't seen any. So we really don't know where he's going with this, but it came out of left field a little. Our facilities shouldn't be sub-par, even for a P5. It's not clear what investment is needed.

UConn isn't going to spend like a P5 unless it's in a P5. It's that simple and he can't expect otherwise. He has mentioned the ACC as a goal, and this is somewhat aligned with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom