UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality… | The Boneyard

UConn football coach Jim Mora on what it will take for his vision of the program to become a reality…

Reaction Score
Assuming this is from Mora’s Weekly Sunday Media availability:

Not sure @ this point what the actual question was to elicit the response but he’s clearly laying the financial groundwork/expectations…

(It’s a quick 1:46 listen)

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Yeah he’s really seemed to harp on this the last few weeks. I think it shows he cares. But he is right. The fact that he has the governors ear can be a big help with funding.
I agree but the school doesn't have the financial resources right now..I imagine he was told this..

Reaction Score
I love this Guy, balls in the States hands, the AD and Board! I vote to find a way and give HIM the keys! See what he's got! This year has been awesome and opened the door! I don't a .500 team and I believe we should be all in! Do it!! Find a way!! Everything I've seen, he's doing a fantastic job building it and he's saying give me more to make it even better. Nobody has done it better and I'd prefer to not go back!!

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Only concerning if nothing happens. He has strengthened credibility, and is now working from a position of strength. This year, he’s given us a taste, and there is excitement around the program again. Now’s the time to double down. Hope that he gets what he needs. Love this guy!

Reaction Score
This is somewhat concerning..
It’s fine that you find it concerning that, to compete at a high level in college football, you need to constantly be spending money to reach higher, but it can’t be surprising, can it? Do you think the top schools throw money around like it’s confetti just for the fun of it?

Or is the concerning part that if Mora doesn’t think we’re committed enough to winning, he won’;t be here long? Because we don’t want a coach who won’t want to keep growing and winning, but is satisfied with just achieving some level of mediocrity,

Reaction Score
Everything they have done since the Fiesta Bowl has been on the cheap. The coaches, everything. And I honestly think he and Benedict have a vision of how to get us to P5 consideration.

In some ways if we could become what Liberty is now, too 25ish with regular victories against P5 teams it wouldn’t take much more. Liberty isn’t getting an ACC invite for many reasons. We could for many reasons. But we need to have a good program.

Reaction Score
I suggest it will not happen unless $$$ donors step up. The top teams are getting big bucks, with an example of that being, buying out the contracts of fired FB coaches for millions of dollars. Just MOP.
This is the right take. The state will NEVER make the investment to be great in football. Just a fact. Even if they wanted to the detractors would eat them alive. The only way forward is with the backing of high dollar supporters. And look what happened with Burton. Half the BY wanted him to hit the road.

Reaction Score
I hope Benedict and Mora have a mutual vision! That way it's not a hard sell and they will find the way, even if it's over a few years. Mora is the real deal in my opinion, his past history tells you that. He's been to places we have never seen with anyone else. We never had a coach do this, media, transfer portal, future vision etc. The kids have responded. See what he's got in mind and let him build it and own it! It's refreshing to see!

Reaction Score
I find it a bit concerning. He knew what he was walking into. I’m not sure what additional investment $$$ are needed. NIL $$$ have to come elsewhere. So, what are the big ticket items? The only investment that I could see making sense is a stadium on campus that can expand to 50,000 with a P5 invite. Storrs NIMBYs will never let that happen.

Reaction Score
This is my interpretation of what he just said:

I didn’t come here to go .500. You can’t live a champagne life on a beer budget. If you aren’t going to remove the barriers I am facing with the salaries of my coaches, the recruiting budget, the delayed maintenance at the Rent, the stupid roster limit etc.

Then this is a waste of my time.

Your move.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I find it a bit concerning. He knew what he was walking into. I’m not sure what additional investment $$$ are needed. NIL $$$ have to come elsewhere. So, what are the big ticket items? The only investment that I could see making sense is a stadium on campus that can expand to 50,000 with a P5 invite. Storrs NIMBYs will never let that happen.
An on campus stadium (within the next few years) is one investment that I see making zero sense.

Finding a way to add $1.5 million or so a year for coaches salaries and our recruiting budget (knowing that this will need to continually increase) is where we need to start.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Do we know what the source of the limitation is?

I was viewing part of the recruiting budget increase to find prospective walk-ons.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I was viewing part of the recruiting budget increase to find prospective walk-ons.
We don't get P5 TV money. Plain and simple. However, I do think we should increase the salary pool for assistants and give him the extra roster spots he wants.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's really time to get to the bare minimum of sports so that we can devote resources to the sports that matter. Obviously, we need to keep Title IX considerations, but moves need to be made.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is my interpretation of what he just said:

I didn’t come here to go .500. You can’t live a champagne life on a beer budget. If you aren’t going to remove the barriers I am facing with the salaries of my coaches, the recruiting budget, the delayed maintenance at the Rent, the stupid roster limit etc.

Then this is a waste of my time.

Your move.
I kind of hate this interpretation, but I do think it’s largely correct.

Reaction Score
… and find a way to increase the non-scholarship roster size limitations.

-> "Each year, the University of Connecticut Division of Athletics implements a comprehensive roster management plan for all of our Division I sports in accordance with Title IX regulations," the statement said. "The roster management numbers take into consideration the ideal roster size of each coaching staff for their applicable sport."

UConn also provided roster numbers reported to the NCAA for the required Sport Sponsorship Report, dating back to the 2013 season:
  • 2021-22 – 103
  • 2020-21 – 100
  • 2019-20 – 102
  • 2018-19 – 100
  • 2017-18 – 104
  • 2016-17 – 105
  • 2015-16 – 99
  • 2014-15 – 108
  • 2013-14 – 105
The roster numbers reported to the NCAA defines a participant as "a student who, as of the day of the varsity team's first scheduled contest: (a) is listed as a team member on the roster, squad list or eligibility report; (b) practices with the varsity team and receives coaching from one or more varsity coaches; or (c) received athletically related financial aid. Any student who satisfies one or more of the above criteria is a participant, including a student on a team the institution designates or defines as junior varsity, freshman, or novice, or a student who does not play in a scheduled contest, whether for medical reasons or to preserve eligibility (i.e., a redshirt)." <-

Bit more background in the linked article above that is worth reading (<<short cut)

Reaction Score
It’s fine that you find it concerning that, to compete at a high level in college football, you need to constantly be spending money to reach higher, but it can’t be surprising, can it? Do you think the top schools throw money around like it’s confetti just for the fun of it?

Or is the concerning part that if Mora doesn’t think we’re committed enough to winning, he won’;t be here long? Because we don’t want a coach who won’t want to keep growing and winning, but is satisfied with just achieving some level of mediocrity,

Last week I asked this august body if we should be thinking contract extension with Mora.

The consensus here was that Mora would stay here for the long haul out of the goodness of his own heart and to build a legacy.

Well, now that we have this quote we know that isn’t true.

The school has to do something to match his commitment or this is in his view a total waste of his time.

He is just not going to stay here while his coaches get hired away each year and his recruiting visits are on a Dollar Tree budget.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom