UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know nothing about this (also idek what throwing teabags is supposed to mean) but obviously they are s who should stop being dicks.

Do you not have clear opinions on UConn fans throwing beer cans at BC fans? I assume we're both on the same side of the fence here.
It's basically a hate crime. Insult to the Mormon practice of abstaining from caffeine. Precalculated and much different from drunken bottle hurling. Now there's Hartford Courant articles about it but my friends who were students when it happened in 2006 were pretty proud of it.

Yes fans who throw stuff are dumb. And everywhere. Try walking around a tailgate at Rutgers or Cuse in UCONN gear.

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
Precalculated and much different from drunken bottle hurling.
Oh gotcha.

Anyway I don't really know what you're getting at. Yes that's bad. Drunken UConn fans throwing beer cans at people is also bad. Are we both able to acknowledge that both of these things are bad?

I think we are... but you left that rather ambiguous.

Reaction Score
You could get all the tickets you could want for the FSU game last weekend. And FSU traveled well as they always do

Reaction Score
If 20k UConn fans wanted tix for the game, they'd get them. BC is not a draw up there. There's a group of guys I work with who are from Boston. They all despise BC because they think they're better than everyone. Wonder where they could've gotten that idea?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We may look down on UMass the same way you look down on us from your grandfathered-not-on-merit P5 status... But I'm smart enough to realize that regularly scheduled home and aways between the three of us is win/win/win for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
I don't even need a return game. Go up there once on their turf and punch them in the mouth... O yea, then brag about it on the internet for a couple of years!

Reaction Score
Always great to have our BC friends stop by to remind us how little UConn matters to most BC fans (not them, of course), how evil all UConn fans were 12 years ago that one time, and how BC doesn't really need a game with UConn....they're much better off opening seasons with Maine and Howard.

Y'all come back again now, ha hear!

Reaction Score
Always great to have our BC friends stop by to remind us how little UConn matters to most BC fans (not them, of course), how evil all UConn fans were 12 years ago that one time, and how BC doesn't really need a game with UConn....they're much better off opening seasons with Maine and Howard.

Y'all come back again now, ha hear!

Well said.

Reaction Score
I don't even need a return game. Go up there once on their turf and punch them in the mouth... O yea, then brag about it on the internet for a couple of years!
Exactly my philosophy

Reaction Score
Make this game happen.

As an aside, I have always been treated respectfully by BC fans. Good natured ribbing and one BC fan even shared the bottle of booze he snuck into Alumni Stadium last time we played there.

I will say of the many college football stadiums I have visited, BC by far has the worst tailgating. Trinity-Wesleyan has a better tailgating atmosphere, no joke.

Reaction Score
Hey Salzano how many seats does BC usually set aside for an opponent?
alumnistadium.gif

From what I've seen when I'm there, typically L, O, some of P. I've also seen sections on the other side in the Y area. That said, the upper endzone sections for FSU this year and USC last year were ghost towns. My friend and I literally had an entire section to ourselves in the upper endzone for USC last year. I'd be shocked if there's any issue getting tickets.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hey all! Greetings from a friendly BC fan who occasionally lurks around here, and who would actually be in favor of renewing the series and playing UConn fairly regularly. Just a few things to add to the conversation from our perspective:

1.) BC isn't exactly desperate for this game. I know there's been a lot of talk about having leverage over BC, but the fact of the matter is that it sounds like BC can buy a one-off home game from FIU and then schedule an FCS game to still get 7 home games next year, even without UConn. So we're not exactly desperate.

2.) While I personally think that BC's schedule would be more attractive with UConn on it rather than FIU and I personally think that would help ticket sales and attendance, believe it or not this is not a universally held opinion. Many BC fans consider UConn just as much of a draw (or lack thereof) as UMass, and in fact would rather play UMass since there's a lot of bad blood with UConn. Many were pretty turned off by the drunken fallout from the last trip to the Rent. And I think some BC fans would prefer just to drop the local G5 teams -- the Big East is dead afterall -- in favor of playing academic peers regardless of geography (i.e. Rice, Tulane, etc.). I disagree and would love to see a primarily northeastern OOC, but just know that I'm not in the majority.

3.) Most BC fans will be disappointed about the schedule in 2016 regardless of whether it's FIU or UConn. We should have a P5. Maryland, Purdue and Baylor all lack P5's next year. This is what most BC fans want above all else. Anything less than a P5 would be viewed as a disappointing home schedule.

4.) The view from the BC fan base is that this has nothing to do with Bates and everything to do with our President, Leahy, and the big donors. For them, the treatment of BC fans at the Rent in 2003 and then the lawsuit are still very much fresh wounds. If, as Blauds says, this deal is waiting for BC to approve it, that means it's waiting for Leahy to approve it. Don't be surprised if all of Bates' efforts and the whole plan falls apart. Leahy has shown that he doesn't mind crushing the plans/dreams of our AD's.

5.) This game has no bearing on whether UConn will be considered P5 by the ACC. Remember, the ACC's P5 requirement doesn't kick in until 2017. This game would be 2016. BC will next need a P5 in 2018.

With all that said, I really hope this happens. If it doesn't happen in 2016 I hope it happens soon. I'd like to see BC alternate UConn and UMass every year. Anyway, cheers!
Thank you for your interest in UConn football. See you on the field.

Reaction Score
Don't pretend it did not happen in 2003 because it did. Full beer cans tossed at the BC buses and there was a BX student that was hit with one. The hockey atmosphere mid-week as opposed to an alcohol fueled Saturday are two different things.

And don't forget the Navy game incident two weeks ago in the parking lot.

Yes, those shenanigans should not happen; but, those events are nothing. Ever been to the Iron bowl (Auburn v Alabama), the Red River Rivalry (Texas v Oklahoma), the World's largest Cocktail Party (Florida v Georgia), the Game (Michigan v. Ohio St)?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I... really do not know. 5,000? That's a total guess.

No one will have trouble getting tickets. I really doubt the game sells out. It could I guess. I think it would be close.

Point is even if it sells out it won't be like 5,000 people are stuck at the gate wishing they could have gotten tickets.

As for end of the year it makes sense, although RE: the Ireland thing, I think BC mostly cared about not travelling for a road game the following weekend. Keep in mind the Ireland game is the weekend before classes start. I don't think there's any more worry about academics than there would be any other football week. The issue would be the team hopping on a flight a week after taking two flights across the Atlantic.

But if there's a better opening at the end of the year then cool.
How did the ACC get roped into playing a game in Ireland? I know ND played there last year which made sense to their own warped Irish mythology, but what's in it for BC and GT.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
How did the ACC get roped into playing a game in Ireland? I know ND played there last year which made sense to their own warped Irish mythology, but what's in it for BC and GT.

you didn't hear? The BC brand is international. If UConn wants a game against them, it has to be scheduled in Istanbul on a Sunday after mass with a 90/10 ticket split in favor of BC

Reaction Score
I know nothing about this (also idek what throwing teabags is supposed to mean) but obviously they are s who should stop being dicks.

Do you not have clear opinions on UConn fans throwing beer cans at BC fans? I assume we're both on the same side of the fence here.

Do you not have a clear opinion on your school's attempt to kill our athletic program? They are s who should stop being dicks.

Reaction Score
There's a rumor on the BC message boards that it's a 3:2.

Last edited:

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I am all in for The New England Cup a special trophy we could all buy replicas of and use! Hard working, common sense New England thinking.
http://www.homewetbar.com/aristocra....html?osCsid=d068c9f1bcb9e5c4415a00496581ca76 :D

If this round-robin thing comes to pass - IF - they should totally name the series and market it to the hilt. The 'New England Cup' is a tad on the bland side IMHO, but I do like the line of thinking.

I also think that a UConn-BC series should have its own name and trophy, with its own separate hype. My humble suggestion: "The Nor'easter", with something like a gold-plated ship's wheel for a trophy.

Regardless, this makes too much sense for all parties involved - which is why I am soooo skeptical that it will ever happen...

Reaction Score
If this round-robin thing comes to pass - IF - they should totally name the series and market it to the hilt. The 'New England Cup' is a tad on the bland side IMHO, but I do like the line of thinking.

I also think that a UConn-BC series should have its own name and trophy, with its own separate hype. My humble suggestion: "The Nor'easter", with something like a gold-plated ship's wheel for a trophy.

Regardless, this makes too much sense for all parties involved - which is why I am soooo skeptical that it will ever happen...

I'm going with " The Chowda Pot"

Reaction Score
I'd prefer either 1 here, 1 there and 1 at Gillette or all 3 at Gillette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom