UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Uconn/BC/UMass agreeing to schedule each other every year makes tooooo much sense. I love the idea.

Reaction Score
Hey all! Greetings from a friendly BC fan who occasionally lurks around here, and who would actually be in favor of renewing the series and playing UConn fairly regularly. Just a few things to add to the conversation from our perspective:

1.) BC isn't exactly desperate for this game. I know there's been a lot of talk about having leverage over BC, but the fact of the matter is that it sounds like BC can buy a one-off home game from FIU and then schedule an FCS game to still get 7 home games next year, even without UConn. So we're not exactly desperate.

2.) While I personally think that BC's schedule would be more attractive with UConn on it rather than FIU and I personally think that would help ticket sales and attendance, believe it or not this is not a universally held opinion. Many BC fans consider UConn just as much of a draw (or lack thereof) as UMass, and in fact would rather play UMass since there's a lot of bad blood with UConn. Many were pretty turned off by the drunken fallout from the last trip to the Rent. And I think some BC fans would prefer just to drop the local G5 teams -- the Big East is dead afterall -- in favor of playing academic peers regardless of geography (i.e. Rice, Tulane, etc.). I disagree and would love to see a primarily northeastern OOC, but just know that I'm not in the majority.

3.) Most BC fans will be disappointed about the schedule in 2016 regardless of whether it's FIU or UConn. We should have a P5. Maryland, Purdue and Baylor all lack P5's next year. This is what most BC fans want above all else. Anything less than a P5 would be viewed as a disappointing home schedule.

4.) The view from the BC fan base is that this has nothing to do with Bates and everything to do with our President, Leahy, and the big donors. For them, the treatment of BC fans at the Rent in 2003 and then the lawsuit are still very much fresh wounds. If, as Blauds says, this deal is waiting for BC to approve it, that means it's waiting for Leahy to approve it. Don't be surprised if all of Bates' efforts and the whole plan falls apart. Leahy has shown that he doesn't mind crushing the plans/dreams of our AD's.

5.) This game has no bearing on whether UConn will be considered P5 by the ACC. Remember, the ACC's P5 requirement doesn't kick in until 2017. This game would be 2016. BC will next need a P5 in 2018.

With all that said, I really hope this happens. If it doesn't happen in 2016 I hope it happens soon. I'd like to see BC alternate UConn and UMass every year. Anyway, cheers!

While I personally think it's good for New England football when UMass, UCONN, and BC play each other regularly, I would like to clarify some things from a UCONN fan perspective.

(1) BC may not be desperate for this game, but their options are incredibly limited. To say that UCONN wouldn't draw better than FIU is pure delusion.

(2) In regards to experiences at the Rent, it's quite petty and flat out dumb to reference an incident from 2003. BC played at UCONN in Hockey East this past year. There were a good amount of BC fans there. I was also present and did not witness or hear of any problems.

(3) Playing BC also has UCONN fans split. Many could care less if BC is on any future schedules and would rather play against P5 conferences that don't include members who screwed the Huskies over. BC has become a mediocre P5 program, and UCONN fans won't lose any sleep if this doesn't happen.

Cheers!

Reaction Score
Playing at the Pats Stadium and splitting the gate would be a probably be a money maker and neutral site game for both schools. But a home/home might be more profitable. Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn about BCU but if the economics work out, nothing else will matter to the athletic departments.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Hey all! Greetings from a friendly BC fan who occasionally lurks around here, and who would actually be in favor of renewing the series and playing UConn fairly regularly. Just a few things to add to the conversation from our perspective:

1.) BC isn't exactly desperate for this game. I know there's been a lot of talk about having leverage over BC, but the fact of the matter is that it sounds like BC can buy a one-off home game from FIU and then schedule an FCS game to still get 7 home games next year, even without UConn. So we're not exactly desperate.

2.) While I personally think that BC's schedule would be more attractive with UConn on it rather than FIU and I personally think that would help ticket sales and attendance, believe it or not this is not a universally held opinion. Many BC fans consider UConn just as much of a draw (or lack thereof) as UMass, and in fact would rather play UMass since there's a lot of bad blood with UConn. Many were pretty turned off by the drunken fallout from the last trip to the Rent. And I think some BC fans would prefer just to drop the local G5 teams -- the Big East is dead afterall -- in favor of playing academic peers regardless of geography (i.e. Rice, Tulane, etc.). I disagree and would love to see a primarily northeastern OOC, but just know that I'm not in the majority.

3.) Most BC fans will be disappointed about the schedule in 2016 regardless of whether it's FIU or UConn. We should have a P5. Maryland, Purdue and Baylor all lack P5's next year. This is what most BC fans want above all else. Anything less than a P5 would be viewed as a disappointing home schedule.

4.) The view from the BC fan base is that this has nothing to do with Bates and everything to do with our President, Leahy, and the big donors. For them, the treatment of BC fans at the Rent in 2003 and then the lawsuit are still very much fresh wounds. If, as Blauds says, this deal is waiting for BC to approve it, that means it's waiting for Leahy to approve it. Don't be surprised if all of Bates' efforts and the whole plan falls apart. Leahy has shown that he doesn't mind crushing the plans/dreams of our AD's.

5.) This game has no bearing on whether UConn will be considered P5 by the ACC. Remember, the ACC's P5 requirement doesn't kick in until 2017. This game would be 2016. BC will next need a P5 in 2018.

With all that said, I really hope this happens. If it doesn't happen in 2016 I hope it happens soon. I'd like to see BC alternate UConn and UMass every year. Anyway, cheers!
Hey guys I'm a friendly BC fan but here are 5 reasons why you stink! Cheers!

SUCK IT BC FAN! LETS SETTLE THIS ON THE FIELD!

Cheers!

Reaction Score
While I personally think it's good for New England football when UMass, UCONN, and BC play each other regularly, I would like to clarify some things from a UCONN fan perspective.

(2) In regards to experiences at the Rent, it's quite petty and flat out dumb to reference an incident from 2003. BC played at UCONN in Hockey East this past year. There were a good amount of BC fans there. I was also present and did not witness or hear of any problems.
Don't pretend it did not happen in 2003 because it did. Full beer cans tossed at the BC buses and there was a BX student that was hit with one. The hockey atmosphere mid-week as opposed to an alcohol fueled Saturday are two different things.

And don't forget the Navy game incident two weeks ago in the parking lot.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Don't pretend it did not happen in 2003 because it did. Full beer cans tossed at the BC buses and there was a BX student that was hit with one. The hockey atmosphere mid-week as opposed to an alcohol fueled Saturday are two different things.

I'm pretty sure a UConn fan ate a BC students baby. I think I read that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Cheers!

I really wish you would show some emotion... ;)

Reaction Score

Boohoo. You must live a sad life if you're still dwelling on things from over a decade ago.

As far as the Navy incident is concerned, one dumb action by a dumb drunk doesn't represent an entire fanbase. One incident for 30,000+ fans is pretty tame. You'd be hard-pressed to find a college football game that didn't involve some kind of poor drunken debauchery.

Reaction Score

Cheers!

Haha. That wasn't my intention. I was trying to relate both my preferences and the BC fan opinion as a whole in the same post, maybe that got confusing.

My thoughts:
- 2016 scheduling preference: P5 either home or away, home for UConn, home for FIU, home for just about anyone else, @Uconn or neutral site UConn. In that order. Going to Dublin for a "home" ACC game next year really hurts the schedule, we need another home game.
- 2003 was a unique time with the Big East falling apart. Lots of animosity from that. I'm willing to write off the last game and try again.
- I will say that I think BC has leverage over both UMass and UConn. Call us mediocre if you want, but we're P5. We have a healthy P5 tv contract and a clear path to national relevance and selling more tickets (i.e. winning). UMass and UConn have more to gain from playing BC. UMass is clearly desperate, with all the calls to fold the football program. UConn is pretty desperate as well, but for different reasons. You need New England attention and increased TV ratings to make the case for a P5 invite. I think that equals leverage for BC.
- My ideal would be a 2:1:1, with 2 at Alumni, 1 at the Rent and 1 at a neutral site with even ticket sales split and maybe some unequal revenue sharing for UConn's 2nd "home" game in the series. The fact that UMass is willing to bend over backwards for BC in scheduling neutral sites to get BC on the schedule doesn't help UConn's case for insisting on even home-and-homes. Why should we treat you any different than UMass? :)

Reaction Score

I've been to enough sporting events at BC as both a neutral fan and very obviously dressed as a hated opponent to know similarly awful things happen there too. There's no place for buses to drive up to either Conte or Alumni for similar things to happen, but the walk from the T can be a gauntlet if you're wearing the wrong shirt. I could go into the list, but it'd be redundant.

Also, fwiw, the treatment I've received personally from UMass fans is exorbitantly worse than anything described or that I saw at the BC-UConn game, yet BC has no problem scheduling games at UMass's "home" field. UMass fans are widely recognized as despicable.

Reaction Score
I've been to enough sporting events at BC as both a neutral fan and very obviously dressed as a hated opponent to know similarly awful things happen there too. There's no place for buses to drive up to either Conte or Alumni for similar things to happen, but the walk from the T can be a gauntlet if you're wearing the wrong shirt. I could go into the list, but it'd be redundant.

Also, fwiw, the treatment I've received personally from UMass fans is exorbitantly worse than anything described or that I saw at the BC-UConn game, yet BC has no problem scheduling games at UMass's "home" field. UMass fans are widely recognized as despicable.
You lost me when you started talking about UMASS having fans.

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
To be fair -- every BC fan I know had high praise for their experiences from the @ UConn and @ BC hockey games last year. Other than, you know, everything about the game itself in Hartford. /vomits dinner

I did hear pretty bad things about the football game but, I mean, I think we can all agree that what the few s did in Storrs last time was not okay and anything similar would be roundly condemned by the rest of the UConn fans who want this series to become a Thing.

Reaction Score
Hey Salzano how many seats does BC usually set aside for an opponent?

Reaction Score
FWIW: Joe D. & Gresch poo pooed this game happening next Sept. 10th. Said that BCU play Georgia Tech in Dublin the weekend before & the administration might want to keep the 10th open to allow the student-athletes to study.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
FWIW: Joe D. & Gresch poo pooed this game happening next Sept. 10th. Said that BCU play Georgia Tech in Dublin the weekend before & the administration might want to keep the 10th open to allow the student-athletes to study.

I agree- when it comes down to making $$$$ and the welfare of the student-athletes, administrations always look out for studeHAHAHAHAHAH OH GOD I ALMOST GOT THROUGH IT WITH A STRAIGHT FACE

Reaction Score
Read the Blaudschein link again - he may have updated it because he now makes it sound like UConn and BC want to keep 9/10 open and work on a game in November toward the end of the football season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't trust Blads as far as I can throw him, but his write-up is a best-case scenario that we should all want.

-Return game in EH in 2017
-Next year's game would be played at the end of November

Reaction Score
To be fair -- every BC fan I know had high praise for their experiences from the @ UConn and @ BC hockey games last year. Other than, you know, everything about the game itself in Hartford. /vomits dinner

I did hear pretty bad things about the football game but, I mean, I think we can all agree that what the few s did in Storrs last time was not okay and anything similar would be roundly condemned by the rest of the UConn fans who want this series to become a Thing.

This is true - there's no excusing those idiots that threw the bottles, but to be fair we can also agree that the actions of a few s don't represent a whole team's fan base. It's been 12 years since that game, and it was during the height of the BE defections when BC, Miami, and Va Tech announced they were bailing, so animosity was high.

But now it's time to move on. This would be great for New England football. Hoping it gets done.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I went to the BC/UConn game at Alumni years ago. I was wearing my UConn gear and walked by a few student parties en route from the T to the stadium. I didn't get any beers hurled at me (there is no excuse for that whatsoever), but I did hear a fair share of "f-bomb UConn" shouts and chants. After the game, same thing. The older fans weren't an issue...just the students. Point is - bad fans happen everywhere. Again, no excuse for people getting violent or throwing beers at busses. We have our bad fans and BC has theirs.

Reaction Score

You have clear opinions on UConn fans throwing beer cans at BC fans. Any opinions on BC students throwing teabags at BYU players?

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
You have clear opinions on UConn fans throwing beer cans at BC fans. Any opinions on BC students throwing teabags at BYU players?
I know nothing about this (also idek what throwing teabags is supposed to mean) but obviously they are s who should stop being dicks.

Do you not have clear opinions on UConn fans throwing beer cans at BC fans? I assume we're both on the same side of the fence here.

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
Hey Salzano how many seats does BC usually set aside for an opponent?
I... really do not know. 5,000? That's a total guess.

No one will have trouble getting tickets. I really doubt the game sells out. It could I guess. I think it would be close.

Point is even if it sells out it won't be like 5,000 people are stuck at the gate wishing they could have gotten tickets.

As for end of the year it makes sense, although RE: the Ireland thing, I think BC mostly cared about not travelling for a road game the following weekend. Keep in mind the Ireland game is the weekend before classes start. I don't think there's any more worry about academics than there would be any other football week. The issue would be the team hopping on a flight a week after taking two flights across the Atlantic.

But if there's a better opening at the end of the year then cool.

Reaction Score
Return game?
My view is no return game no game. I have zero confidence Warde won't give away the store to get this game. He is an inept drone. This would be a good series with emphasis on the series part. Otherwise no thanks.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Haha. That wasn't my intention. I was trying to relate both my preferences and the BC fan opinion as a whole in the same post, maybe that got confusing.

My thoughts:

- My ideal would be a 2:1:1, with 2 at Alumni, 1 at the Rent and 1 at a neutral site with even ticket sales split and maybe some unequal revenue sharing for UConn's 2nd "home" game in the series. The fact that UMass is willing to bend over backwards for BC in scheduling neutral sites to get BC on the schedule doesn't help UConn's case for insisting on even home-and-homes. Why should we treat you any different than UMass? :)

You do realize that UConn has regular home and homes scheduled with programs of far higher stature than BC right? UConn is above UMass on the pecking order and it isn't even close. UMass is legitimately facing a decision of whether or not to continue playing FBS football. BC football does absolutely NOTHING outside of New England. I say this growing up and living in North Carolina, home of the real ACC. BC has had some nice moments the past could of years but please, don't act like you guys are something you're not when you're looking at scheduling.

You had to schedule a freaking home and home against New Mexico State with the first game being AT New Mexico State, which then led to BC having to play 2 FCS schools this season because NMSU BOUGHT OUT their return trip to BC. Scheduling BC home and home in terms of competition level is no different than our currently scheduled series games against Indiana and Illinois. This game makes sense to be played because it is the two biggest athletic departments in New England and both are sitting on an island in their current conferences. Neither team is winning the college football playoff anytime soon. Schedule the damn series already and quit acting like everyone is in awe because Boston College is considering us for their schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom