UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even with no return game in the immediate works, it's a huge step for New England football that this could finally happen again next year.

We currently have UMass at Foxboro scheduled for that date next year. Would be great if they would trade with FL Intn'l. (wonder if anything happens with the UMass 2017 game at the Rent....., er, PAW-ARF.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Return game?
This would have been the UMass return game. Them stepping aside probably means they are going to get renewed series with both us and BC. Pure speculation on my part.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Sounds like a one off with no return game.
Until it is announced, it is too early to talk about structure. But what there is, is a breaking of the ice and whodathunkit that UMASS would have a hand in it!!

If the schools start working together(yes that means playing BC in basketball too), I don't see how this is a one off and hopefully it will mean long term series with each school (as long as the ACC considers UCONN a P-5 game).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Easy there chief, it's a freaking huge jump from Twitter rumor of a one off game to BC not rooster blocking us.

I didn't say they figured it out - I said it will be nice when they finally do.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a one off with no return game.
No, it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like a piece of information that a guy connected within BC posted on Twitter, not the finalized terms of a contract.

Reaction Score
I've been a big WM supporter, but would be disappointed if this is one and done deal.

If a one-and-done get a 'yes' vote from BC on future ACC expansion (which in a perfect world spurs the B1G to grab UConn first), I have no issue whatsoever with Warde (and Herbst) if can do such.

Reaction Score
This is fantastic news, but talk is cheap. We need to absolutely pack Alumni Stadium.
That would not be a concern. Quite the opposite actually. I would imagine demand would be big on our end with limited tickets available.
BC fans may put some of their tix for sale online for a tidy profit

Reaction Score
I brought 20 with me to the Uconn/Army game at Yankee Stadium last year. I'll have at least that many for this one if it happens.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Would be all over this game.

I said originally I wouldn't want a 1 off for future negotiation purposes with Cuse, Rutgers, Pitt, etc. but this game would have some juice.

Let's see what happens.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Let's see if The Horde picks up on this at all - I have yet to see any of them bring it up yet...

Reaction Score
Let's see if The Horde picks up on this at all - I have yet to see any of them bring it up yet...
There was a nugget in the Courant on Friday. At this point, I'd think they won't report on anything without an official statement from one of the schools, or some very well-placed sourcing on specifics. There isn't much point on reporting three days later that talks are still ongoing.

Reaction Score
Should ultimately be an annual game at Gillette. The swap would be perfect for UConn for a few reasons:

1. suggests BC has pre-approval to count this as a P5 game
2. suggests the true civil conflict is coming to an end

I hear Blumenthal will do the coin toss and if BC wins will immediately file suit.

Reaction Score
File it under mildly interesting: if this deal is finalized, Uconn would have a non-conference schedule that includes three straight games against ACC opponents for the season (9/10 BC, 9/17 Virginia, and 9/24 Syracuse).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Why the change of heart? Could it be that some B1G news has reached our Boston friends?

Reaction Score
Many Huskies' fans will not get access to Connecticut's tickets for the hypothetical game, but solid UCONN support would definitely drive up attendance for at least 1 game at BCU and clearly spike ticket prices in a B1G way.

Reaction Score
Many Huskies' fans will not get access to Connecticut's tickets for the hypothetical game, but solid UCONN support would definitely drive up attendance for at least 1 game at BCU and clearly spike ticket prices in a B1G way.
There would be NO difficulty getting tickets through BC or on the secondary market.

Reaction Score
Would be all over this game.

I said originally I wouldn't want a 1 off for future negotiation purposes with Cuse, Rutgers, Pitt, etc. but this game would have some juice.

Let's see what happens.

It also wouldn't really be a "one off." It would be a "we got UMASS at home without a return in exchange for going to BC without a return."

Reaction Score
Hey all! Greetings from a friendly BC fan who occasionally lurks around here, and who would actually be in favor of renewing the series and playing UConn fairly regularly. Just a few things to add to the conversation from our perspective:

1.) BC isn't exactly desperate for this game. I know there's been a lot of talk about having leverage over BC, but the fact of the matter is that it sounds like BC can buy a one-off home game from FIU and then schedule an FCS game to still get 7 home games next year, even without UConn. So we're not exactly desperate.

2.) While I personally think that BC's schedule would be more attractive with UConn on it rather than FIU and I personally think that would help ticket sales and attendance, believe it or not this is not a universally held opinion. Many BC fans consider UConn just as much of a draw (or lack thereof) as UMass, and in fact would rather play UMass since there's a lot of bad blood with UConn. Many were pretty turned off by the drunken fallout from the last trip to the Rent. And I think some BC fans would prefer just to drop the local G5 teams -- the Big East is dead afterall -- in favor of playing academic peers regardless of geography (i.e. Rice, Tulane, etc.). I disagree and would love to see a primarily northeastern OOC, but just know that I'm not in the majority.

3.) Most BC fans will be disappointed about the schedule in 2016 regardless of whether it's FIU or UConn. We should have a P5. Maryland, Purdue and Baylor all lack P5's next year. This is what most BC fans want above all else. Anything less than a P5 would be viewed as a disappointing home schedule.

4.) The view from the BC fan base is that this has nothing to do with Bates and everything to do with our President, Leahy, and the big donors. For them, the treatment of BC fans at the Rent in 2003 and then the lawsuit are still very much fresh wounds. If, as Blauds says, this deal is waiting for BC to approve it, that means it's waiting for Leahy to approve it. Don't be surprised if all of Bates' efforts and the whole plan falls apart. Leahy has shown that he doesn't mind crushing the plans/dreams of our AD's.

5.) This game has no bearing on whether UConn will be considered P5 by the ACC. Remember, the ACC's P5 requirement doesn't kick in until 2017. This game would be 2016. BC will next need a P5 in 2018.

With all that said, I really hope this happens. If it doesn't happen in 2016 I hope it happens soon. I'd like to see BC alternate UConn and UMass every year. Anyway, cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom