Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
Now ya know that the first pitch is damn close!

Sounds like with the position players, UConn baseball has a lot of potential depth, speed, and almost everyone has some extra base power.

At catcher, sounds like Matt Garbowski likely to be the first string catcher, but we'll see. Garbowski battled injuries last season, during the summer he stayed on campus and worked with the athletic trainer to get stronger and such.

Positive words for both Hyde and Matt Malcom. Malcom has shown good power with his bat, wouldn't surprise me if he gets some time at D.H. Oates is coming off and injury. Still, the catching core is really strong according to this interview.

Infielders, Broadhurst and Padilla are coming off injuries as well, but sounds like Broadhurst very well could play this weekend, not sure about that in terms of Padilla. Look for Padilla at 3B, but could see time all over the infield this season. Broadhurst could see time at 1B and 3B, they say he is a real good athlete. As for the rest of the infield, sounds like we can expect Tammaro (SS), Daniels (2B), and Dalena (1B) to be in the starting lineup this weekend. Positive words on the 3 freshmen infielders, sounds like of the 3 Tyler Minick is leading in terms of possibly getting playing time, but positive words on Rispoli and Davino as well, so possible they could see playing time eventually.

All 6 outfielders on the roster are capable of playing CF. Expect Korey Morton (LF) and Jake Studley (RF) in the corner outfield spots, and they said Simmons showed good offense in the preseason, so it sounds like we could expect him to get time in CF. Next in line is Drew Kron, they really seem to like him. Also positive stuff on Shpur, and they really like Brini's defense. Still, all the outfielders are swinging the bat well in the preseason.

Lot's of team speed with these players, expect to see it used on the bases this season.

Reaction Score
Sounds like with the position players, UConn baseball has a lot of potential depth, speed, and almost everyone has some extra base power.

At catcher, sounds like Matt Garbowski likely to be the first string catcher, but we'll see. Garbowski battled injuries last season, during the summer he stayed on campus and worked with the athletic trainer to get stronger and such.

Positive words for both Hyde and Matt Malcom. Malcom has shown good power with his bat, wouldn't surprise me if he gets some time at D.H. Oates is coming off and injury. Still, the catching core is really strong according to this interview.

Infielders, Broadhurst and Padilla are coming off injuries as well, but sounds like Broadhurst very well could play this weekend, not sure about that in terms of Padilla. Look for Padilla at 3B, but could see time all over the infield this season. Broadhurst could see time at 1B and 3B, they say he is a real good athlete. As for the rest of the infield, sounds like we can expect Tammaro (SS), Daniels (2B), and Dalena (1B) to be in the starting lineup this weekend. Positive words on the 3 freshmen infielders, sounds like of the 3 Tyler Minick is leading in terms of possibly getting playing time, but positive words on Rispoli and Davino as well, so possible they could see playing time eventually.

All 6 outfielders on the roster are capable of playing CF. Expect Korey Morton (LF) and Jake Studley (RF) in the corner outfield spots, and they said Simmons showed good offense in the preseason, so it sounds like we could expect him to get time in CF. Next in line is Drew Kron, they really seem to like him. Also positive stuff on Shpur, and they really like Brini's defense. Still, all the outfielders are swinging the bat well in the preseason.

Lot's of team speed with these players, expect to see it used on the bases this season.
Good summary of what was covered. Injuries to Broadhurst/Padilla are a concern and was surprised hearing that as those were being dealt with back in the fall. That’s a long time to be nursing that type of injury. Interesting if they give Minick a shot assuming Padilla can’t go. Not sure you’d want Broadhurst pulling double duty playing 3rd.

Also early in week but forecast has deteriorated for Sat/Sun (90% chance rain both days). If all 4 teams are agreeable wouldn’t be surprised if they try doing 4 games on Friday leaving them with trying to only get 2 in on Sat/sun. They were going to play Sunday a.m. anyway just push it to Friday. Also doesn’t impact overall workload on pitching staffs. e.g. 9:00am, 12:30pm 4:00pm 7:30pm or something like that. Theyre better weather guys than I am so let’s see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
There was one area where Korey Morton improved his game last season, he developed a better eye for taking a higher percentage of walks in his at bats then he did in his previous UConn season. Before last season Morton did not get many walks.

When Drew Kron played summer ball in Norwich a couple of summers ago, he impressed me with his speed, defense, and baseball instincts.
Drew Kron has a chance to be an elite defender. Great jumps, great routes, and a very good arm.

Reaction Score
Drew Kron has a chance to be an elite defender. Great jumps, great routes, and a very good arm.

Very true, like I have said in previous postings, I watched Drew Kron play summer ball in Norwich 2 summers ago. Thought he was a terrific defender, no question about it.

Reaction Score
Good summary of what was covered. Injuries to Broadhurst/Padilla are a concern and was surprised hearing that as those were being dealt with back in the fall. That’s a long time to be nursing that type of injury. Interesting if they give Minick a shot assuming Padilla can’t go. Not sure you’d want Broadhurst pulling double duty playing 3rd.

Also early in week but forecast has deteriorated for Sat/Sun (90% chance rain both days). If all 4 teams are agreeable wouldn’t be surprised if they try doing 4 games on Friday leaving them with trying to only get 2 in on Sat/sun. They were going to play Sunday a.m. anyway just push it to Friday. Also doesn’t impact overall workload on pitching staffs. e.g. 9:00am, 12:30pm 4:00pm 7:30pm or something like that. Theyre better weather guys than I am so let’s see how it plays out.

Even before the mention of these injuries, I thought the competition at 3B was going to be interesting this season for UConn baseball. It will be interesting to see who plays at 3B this coming weekend.

Reaction Score
Have to say that in the interview about the position players, a decent amount of the information about the players matched what I had been thinking about them and there playing time.

Can't wait for the interview concerning the pitchers. I figure with that one there is going to be a goodly portion of information that I haven't figured out, so a lot of it could be new to me.

Reaction Score
At least they didn’t keep @dbmill spinning too long:

First thing discussed in terms of the players in this interview., the starting pitchers for this upcoming weekend. Garrett Coe is the Friday starter, followed by Steve Quigley and Ian Cooke.

Other guys who have been stretched for possible use in a starting role are the following. Players mentioned first are more likely to see time as a starting pitcher.

Tom Ellisen
Gabe Van Emon
Braden Quinn
Jack Sullivan

Those 4 pitchers above will initially see time out of the bullpen, and possibly enter the starting rotation at a later date if need be, or get starts during the week.

Current leading candidates for back of the bullpen:

Brady Afthim
Cameron Mayer
Joe Carrea
Joe Cinnella

Freshmen who look interesting:
Sean Finn (I saw him pitch a few times in Norwich last summer, he did well.)
Ben Schild
Tom Turner
Charlie West
Devin Wolff

Guys who may need time to develop and possibly make contributions later in the season:

Alex Mach
M. Quigley
Kieran Finnegan
Ryan VanDeWater

Reaction Score
Wasn’t explicitly stated but reading between the lines it sounded like Afthim to me. Maybe I am reading into it too much so take that opinion with a grain of salt

It is one of those seasons where we have to see how things get sorted out with the pitching staff as the season progresses. Also would seem that the starting pitching is currently more firmly set, but not so the bullpen. Does sound like Afthim will get the first crack at being the bullpen closer.

Reaction Score
Going to be an interesting watch through the first few weekends. Always wild to see which players emerge when lights go on, which struggle more than you would have thought based on coach’s feedback on performance in preseason. I know Penders likes stability in his lineup so most of what he starts on Friday will likely be there all weekend with a few ins and outs based on giving catchers rest and seeing how a couple guys who just missed starting Friday do with their opportunity.

Excited for another season of hookc is a little more than 24 hours away.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Informative stuff in this article. Among other things, due to injury Padilla likely will not play until March.
IF it‘s Minick at 3B tomorrow what an opportunity for him to step in and grab that role.

Reaction Score

From this article:

<Luke Broadhurst returns as a corner infielder and DH for the Huskies after clubbing 14 home runs and hitting .312 last season. The Second Team All-BIG EAST performer missed significant time in the fall and preseason with a wrist injury but is hopeful to be available for this weekend.>

Over the past 2 fall ball seasons, I have seen Broadhurst get playing time at both 1B and 3B in scrimmages and exhibition games. However, during the 2023 fall ball season, I noticed during the few sessions that I went to that Broadhurst would get playing time at both 1B and 3B, but I don't recall him getting any at bats during these sessions. I didn't know about his wrist injury, but I figured Broadhurst had some sort of injury since he wasn't getting at bats.

This article says that Broadhurst may be available to play in games this weekend. If he does, it will be interesting to see if he ends up back at D.H. or ends up seeing time at either 1B or 3B. Agree with @MarkyMark that between this and the Padilla injury, we may be seeing Tyler Minick getting time at 3B this weekend. That would be a good opportunity for Minick, that's for sure.

Also, according to this article, another freshman, catcher Mike Oates, is probably out for the season due to a broken foot. Considering UConn also has Garbowski, Malcom, and Hyde behind the plate, I doubt Oates was going to see much time at the catcher spot during the spring season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From this article:

<Luke Broadhurst returns as a corner infielder and DH for the Huskies after clubbing 14 home runs and hitting .312 last season. The Second Team All-BIG EAST performer missed significant time in the fall and preseason with a wrist injury but is hopeful to be available for this weekend.>

Over the past 2 fall ball seasons, I have seen Broadhurst get playing time at both 1B and 3B in scrimmages and exhibition games. However, during the 2023 fall ball season, I noticed during the few sessions that I went to that Broadhurst would get playing time at both 1B and 3B, but I don't recall him getting any at bats during these sessions. I didn't know about his wrist injury, but I figured Broadhurst had some sort of injury since he wasn't getting at bats.

This article says that Broadhurst may be available to play in games this weekend. If he does, it will be interesting to see if he ends up back at D.H. or ends up seeing time at either 1B or 3B. Agree with @MarkyMark that between this and the Padilla injury, we may be seeing Tyler Minick getting time at 3B this weekend. That would be a good opportunity for Minick, that's for sure.

Also, according to this article, another freshman, catcher Mike Oates, is probably out for the season due to a broken foot. Considering UConn also has Garbowski, Malcom, and Hyde behind the plate, I doubt Oates was going to see much time at the catcher spot during the spring season.
@dbmill did they end up cutting anyone or it was moot with the way the injuries played out?

Reaction Score
@dbmill did they end up cutting anyone or it was moot with the way the injuries played out?

Because of the injuries to players that I am guessing are not on full or partial baseball scholarships, they don't need to make any more cuts to the roster. Guessing that the injured players will be off the official spring playing roster, but will still be considered part of the team.

Reaction Score

Connecticut

Head Coach: Jim Penders
2023 Record: 44-17 (15-5)

Connecticut looked primed to be just the third regional host in the Northeast in the last 32 years, sitting at 36-11 early in May, but the Huskies finished the season going a paltry 8-6, including falling in the Big East Championship and then having a short appearance in the Gainesville Regional where their starting pitching was overmatched, giving up nine earned runs on 12 hits and seven walks in 10.2 innings.

Strengths
Turn your weaknesses into strengths. UConn faded last year and didn’t have the frontline horses to go toe to toe with Texas Tech and Florida in the regional, but the Huskies feel much more confident in their pitching staff overall and starting rotation specifically, even though the names in the rotation are familiar ones. Six-foot-six fifth-year senior lefty Garrett Coe (6-3, 4.42) has moved up to take the ball on Fridays. Used exclusively as a reliever until he was thrust into the rotation midseason last year, Coe’s stuff has ticked up from low- to mid-80s a couple years ago to where he now routinely pitches in the high 80s to 90 and can touch 91-92. That’s helped his changeup play up even more, allowing him to attack hitters for early contact and more advantageous counts rather than constantly being in lengthy at-bats that drove up his pitch counts. Before jumping into the rotation for the Huskies, Coe was phenomenal this summer pitching in the Cape Cod League, allowing two earned runs on 13 hits with 18 strikeouts in 19.2 innings.

He’ll be buoyed by righthanders Ian Cooke (3-3, 5.74 with 60 K in 53.1 IP), the conference’s 2022 preseason Pitcher of the Year, and Stephen Quigley (4-3, 4.83 with 74 K in 76.1 IP), the conference’s 2023 preseason Pitcher of the Year. Both were beneficiaries of a staff-wide increased focus on conditioning that has led to more consistent deliveries and more strike throwing after Connecticut slid from No. 3 in the nation in strikeout-to-walk ratio and No. 6 in walks allowed per nine innings in 2022 to being No. 60 and No. 81 in the same two categories in 2023. Cooke accepted the challenge and reworked his body, which should help him on the mound, but also to stay on the mound after he suffered multiple minor, nagging injuries last season. He’s been 90-94 and touching 95 in addition to a sharp slider and changeup.

Question Marks
Pitching coach Joshua MacDonald is confident the Huskies have a deeper arsenal of reliable weapons on the mound this season than last year, but that will include multiple unproven commodities, particularly in the bullpen where they lose Devin Kirby (49.2 IP over 25 appearances), Zach Fogell (8-0, 1.89 with 60 K in 47.2 IP over 36 appearances) and closer Justin Willis who had 27 combined saves the last two seasons. With Coe headed to the front of the rotation and either Jack Sullivan or Thomas Ellisen likely to get the Tuesday starter spot, some newcomers and seldom-used arms are going to be called upon for important bridge innings to get the ball to Brady Afthim (0-0, 3.91 in 26 appearances), who will get the first crack at filling Willis’ shoes. Ellisen could also be a back-end option or a multi-inning bridge guy. Braden Quinn struggled last year but has a huge breaking ball from the left side. Tufts transfer righthander Cameron Mayer and walk-on Joe Carrea will get early opportunities but keep an eye on freshman righthanders Tommy Turner and Ben Schild.

Star Power
Jake Studley is the most common name mentioned by opposing Big East coaches when asked about the conference’s scariest hitter to face. That might seem strange praise for a hitter with only eight home runs last year and that doesn’t have a towering presence in the batter’s box at 5’11”, but Studley doesn’t have many holes. He’s a difficult at-bat for pitchers because he knows his strengths and doesn’t try to do too much. Instead, he just hits laser beams all around the yard.

Glue Guys
Rather than Studley, Connecticut’s leading power hitter this season will be Luke Broadhurst (.312,14, 51), but his power may be a little sapped to start the season as both he and veteran infielder Bryan Padilla (.266, 6, 42) have missed time in the preseason due to hamate bone injuries. Padilla had transitioned over to third base after Division III Oswego State transfer Paul Tammaro (.389, 4, 15) took over the shortstop spot late in the season and ran with it. But Padilla won’t be ready at the beginning of the season, so Broadhurst will likely fill in at third base with Maddix Dalena at first.

Pick to Click
Maddix Dalena is a sweet-swinging lefty with big-time pop in his bat. The sophomore has long levers, and when he connects, it goes a long way. Backing up all-conference first baseman Ben Huber last season, Dalena got minimal playing time until Huber went down with an injury. Dalena got his feet wet, hitting .254, 3, 11 in 59 at-bats, but seems primed for a breakout this season.

Top Newcomer
The Huskies are excited about freshman Tyler Minick and believe he could be one of the best impact freshmen they’ve had in a while. With Broadhurst and Padilla banged up, he’ll likely get some early opportunities, and depending on how he responds, he could move someone else out of the lineup to become a permanent fixture. He’s got all kinds of tools, including a dynamic speed/power combo.

Outlook
The Huskies have been the preeminent program in the Big East since returning from the American Athletic Conference, but after a disappointing finish to their 2023 campaign, they’ve got something to chase this season. They’ll again do it was pitching and defense, but this season, Connecticut will rely less on the long ball and instead use its speed and athleticism to cause some havoc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom