Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
Potentially UConn baseball could very well have a very experienced team as far as position players go this coming season. Assuming these players all all back from last season, UConn could have at least five starting players who played last season for the Huskies in their Grad or Senior year of eligibility. This would include Morton, Tammaro, Studley, Broadhurst, and Simmons. I imagine it is possible that ECSU Grad Transfer Matt Malcom could challenge for a spot in the starting lineup as well, don't know if he has more than one year of eligibility left. Whatever the case, potentially UConn baseball could have a bunch of regulars in the starting lineup after next season for the following season. As usual, we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score

-> Despite missing parts of two seasons due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Studley (2019-22) still managed to earn Player of the Year honors in both 2021 and 2022, while being named All-Conference and a Second Team All-American as a senior. In addition, he was named the Region 1 Player of the Year by both the ABCA and D3baseball.com in 2022 and was an All-Region First Teamer in each of his final two years at Wheaton. Even with shortened seasons in his sophomore and junior campaigns, the right fielder still etched his memory among the Lyons' all-time best performers with a remarkable .408 (174-426) batting average and .681 slugging percentage to place second, while graduating with a school-record .492 on-base percentage. The Barrington, R.I. native was one of the most feared sluggers on the NEWMAC circuit with 20 homers and 46 doubles for the fourth and sixth-highest totals in program annals, respectively. <-

Reaction Score

-> Despite missing parts of two seasons due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Studley (2019-22) still managed to earn Player of the Year honors in both 2021 and 2022, while being named All-Conference and a Second Team All-American as a senior. In addition, he was named the Region 1 Player of the Year by both the ABCA and D3baseball.com in 2022 and was an All-Region First Teamer in each of his final two years at Wheaton. Even with shortened seasons in his sophomore and junior campaigns, the right fielder still etched his memory among the Lyons' all-time best performers with a remarkable .408 (174-426) batting average and .681 slugging percentage to place second, while graduating with a school-record .492 on-base percentage. The Barrington, R.I. native was one of the most feared sluggers on the NEWMAC circuit with 20 homers and 46 doubles for the fourth and sixth-highest totals in program annals, respectively. <-

Well deserved. He lets his play do the talking.

Reaction Score

Around the horn <<

-> Malcom entered his name in the transfer portal earlier this year before completing an All-American senior season. He finished with a career .342 batting average with 39 home runs, 148 RBI, 100 walks and 38 stolen bases in 168 games.

The UConn coaching staff reached out.

“When he got in the portal, we pounced,” said UConn coach Jim Penders, a former catcher. “It was a no-brainer for us to pursue him.”

After weighing his options and talking to Penders, Malcom decided to join the Huskies.

“Coach Penders said he wanted a guy who brings the fire to his team,” Malcom said. “He ultimately convinced me to go to Storrs.” <-

Reaction Score

Around the horn <<

-> Malcom entered his name in the transfer portal earlier this year before completing an All-American senior season. He finished with a career .342 batting average with 39 home runs, 148 RBI, 100 walks and 38 stolen bases in 168 games.

“When he got in the portal, we pounced,” said UConn coach Jim Penders, a former catcher. “It was a no-brainer for us to pursue him.”

After weighing his options and talking to Penders, Malcom decided to join the Huskies.

“Coach Penders said he wanted a guy who brings the fire to his team,” Malcom said. “He ultimately convinced me to go to Storrs.” <-

Great quotes in this article, thanks for sharing

Reaction Score

Around the horn <<

Another interesting college/summer baseball article by Gavin Keefe. Another thing mentioned in the article is that Coach Penders saw Matt Malcom play in high school, and that Coach Penders went to a couple ECSU games this spring since is son Hank (also a catcher) also plays for ECSU.

We'll probably get to know a bit more about the team as fall ball progresses. I'm guessing Malcom could get playing time with UConn at the catcher spot (should be an interesting time during fall ball to see whether Matt Garbowski or Malcom ends up being the first string catcher), and I would think that Malcom could get playing time at the D.H. spot, depending on whether or not Luke Broadhurst gets some playing time in the field this season. Certainly don't expect Broadhurst and his bat to be out of the lineup, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Another interesting college/summer baseball article by Gavin Keefe. Another thing mentioned in the article is that Coach Penders saw Matt Malcom play in high school, and that Coach Penders went to a couple ECSU games this spring since is son Hank (also a catcher) also plays for ECSU.

We'll probably get to know a bit more about the team as fall ball progresses. I'm guessing Malcom could get playing time with UConn at the catcher spot (should be an interesting time during fall ball to see whether Matt Garbowski or Malcom ends up being the first string catcher), and I would think that Malcom could get playing time at the D.H. spot, depending on whether or not Luke Broadhurst gets some playing time in the field this season. Certainly don't expect Broadhurst and his bat to be out of the lineup, that's for sure.
i'm going to take a shot at a way too early starting 9 without seeing the 2023-24 official fall roster. Admittedly, I am not taking into account the freshmen/transfers etc. This was just off the top based on legacy.

1B - Dalena
2B - Ry Daniels
SS - Paulie Tammaro
3B - Broadhurst
LF - Korey
CF - TC
RF - Jake Studs
C - Malcom (yes I'm on the Malcom train)
DH -Pencil in as newcomer
P - Cookie (assuming healthy)

Very solid lineup without really any auto outs. Would like a bit more pop hence Luke at 3B opening a slot for a banger at DH (DH needs to help) but will need to bank on guys progressing in that area with an extra year of experience.

This leaves Padilla, Garbo, Hyde, Kron, Brini on the outside looking in. SS is interesting. I don't know what they have coming in and I love Bry but his glove isn't enough to cover for .266. TC I put in CF. He deserves a real chance assuming now injury is behind him.

Looking forward to scout day a week from Friday. Will attend.

Reaction Score
i'm going to take a shot at a way too early starting 9 without seeing the 2023-24 official fall roster. Admittedly, I am not taking into account the freshmen/transfers etc. This was just off the top based on legacy.

1B - Dalena
2B - Ry Daniels
SS - Paulie Tammaro
3B - Broadhurst
LF - Korey
CF - TC
RF - Jake Studs
C - Malcom (yes I'm on the Malcom train)
DH -Pencil in as newcomer
P - Cookie (assuming healthy)

Very solid lineup without really any auto outs. Would like a bit more pop hence Luke at 3B opening a slot for a banger at DH (DH needs to help) but will need to bank on guys progressing in that area with an extra year of experience.

This leaves Padilla, Garbo, Hyde, Kron, Brini on the outside looking in. SS is interesting. I don't know what they have coming in and I love Bry but his glove isn't enough to cover for .266. TC I put in CF. He deserves a real chance assuming now injury is behind him.

Looking forward to scout day a week from Friday. Will attend.

Okay, may as well submit my thoughts on the lineup:

Dalena did not have the best of summers playing for the Mystic Schooners. If he plays like he did in fall ball last year, Dalena is most likely to be the leader at 1B. If he falters like he did this summer with Mystic, I'm inclined to think that Broadhurst could see playing time at 1B. Possible that he could get time at 3B as well, but I'm inclined to think Padilla will be at SS. We'll see how things go in fall ball. I would be surprised if Daniels and Tammaro are not starters in the other infield spots.

Agree about Morton, Studley, and Simmons being likely starters in the outfield this coming season.

As I have said before, it will be interesting to see how the competition between Garbowski and Malcom at catcher plays out.

It will be interesting to see how the position bench players develop, especially considering there are so many position players who are going to be in their last season in Storrs. In the outfield, definitely would like to see Kron and Brini show enough improvement this season so that they could be considered potential starters during the 2025 season. As for the infield, there are several freshmen infielders joining the team, and it would be really helpful if they show some ability to contribute as well, as some spots in the infield could open up the following season.

Reaction Score
Okay, may as well submit my thoughts on the lineup:

Dalena did not have the best of summers playing for the Mystic Schooners. If he plays like he did in fall ball last year, Dalena is most likely to be the leader at 1B. If he falters like he did this summer with Mystic, I'm inclined to think that Broadhurst could see playing time at 1B. Possible that he could get time at 3B as well, but I'm inclined to think Padilla will be at SS. We'll see how things go in fall ball. I would be surprised if Daniels and Tammaro are not starters in the other infield spots.

Agree about Morton, Studley, and Simmons being likely starters in the outfield this coming season.

As I have said before, it will be interesting to see how the competition between Garbowski and Malcom at catcher plays out.

It will be interesting to see how the position bench players develop, especially considering there are so many position players who are going to be in their last season in Storrs. In the outfield, definitely would like to see Kron and Brini show enough improvement this season so that they could be considered potential starters during the 2025 season. As for the infield, there are several freshmen infielders joining the team, and it would be really helpful if they show some ability to contribute as well, as some spots in the infield could open up the following season.
Your post is exactly why I'd like to see an official fall roster and then head to scout day for first eye test. Agree they can go in many directions and of course, guys will emerge, and guys will fade. I'm trying to get the most power in the lineup that I can. Should be fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your post is exactly why I'd like to see an official fall roster and then head to scout day for first eye test. Agree they can go in many directions and of course, guys will emerge, and guys will fade. I'm trying to get the most power in the lineup that I can. Should be fun.

Possible I may show up at Scout Day as well, depending on how things go, plus the weather for that day. I've never been to Scout Day, it is something I am a bit curious about.

Reaction Score
Possible I may show up at Scout Day as well, depending on how things go, plus the weather for that day. I've never been to Scout Day, it is something I am a bit curious about.
If you have the time I would recommend attending. Assuming format is the same as last year it will begin with the 60 yard dash in the outfield so I suggest standing down the left field line if you are interested. If not, can just sit in the seats. Once that's complete then it moves to fielding and hitting drills and you can sit on the 3rd or first base sides. Last year scouts were scattered all over. Although small sample size good chance to see the new guys. They'll do catching drills so good chance to see Malcom. Of couse OF/IF drills also and limited BP. Also get a feel for who the early starting 9 is.

Reaction Score
Any idea when the fallball roster will be released? And where can I find it, if so. Tnx

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom