Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is ever going to be at a point where we're competing with LSU for transfers, they're one of the top baseball programs in the country. The reason we got him likely isn't an intra-conference transfer issue, we had Casey Dana transfer from Seton Hall to UConn a few years ago
Yes but Casey Dana wasn’t going to LSU. If that option were available and the choice is the BE conference lateral move or SEC would he had been at Uconn. I guess not and not b/c Uconn can’t compete but rather the opposite…the program has been at level where the separation amongst the SEC or ACC and Uconn alone, isn’t all that great. UConn is a top program, they just don’t get the recognition or respect where it matters currently in NCAA baseball. Saying Uconn will never be an LSU in baseball, is fine they don’t need to be. Uconn has been a couple of players away from the CWS for longer then I’ve been following them (approx 7-8 seasons). The 22’ run was great to enjoy, a lot went right that season even w/ Crawford and the what coulda been on top of being a win away from the CWS. I really believe a top talent or two like Loer might be difference.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball has another transfer on the roster this season from Seton Hall. LHP Joe Cinnella, a grad transfer. We will see if he has a positive impact for UConn on the coming season, but I am inclined to think he is not quite the quality player as Casey Dana was. Still, having another lefty on the pitching staff is hardly a bad thing.
Never a bad thing

Reaction Score
Yes but Casey Dana wasn’t going to LSU. If that option were available and the choice is the BE conference lateral move or SEC would he had been at Uconn. I guess not and not b/c Uconn can’t compete but rather the opposite…the program has been at level where the separation amongst the SEC or ACC and Uconn alone, isn’t all that great. UConn is a top program, they just don’t get the recognition or respect where it matters currently in NCAA baseball. Saying Uconn will never be an LSU in baseball, is fine they don’t need to be. Uconn has been a couple of players away from the CWS for longer then I’ve been following them (approx 7-8 seasons). The 22’ run was great to enjoy, a lot went right that season even w/ Crawford and the what coulda been on top of being a win away from the CWS. I really believe a top talent or two like Loer might be difference.
I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point, I read your post 3 times and I'm still lost. I think everyone would agree that adding more top talent would get us over the hump and to the CWS. The guys ending up in the SEC are not worth fretting over because they're not going to end up here.

I trust Penders to continue to find the under the radar talent to get us to Omaha eventually. It's just going to take a bit of luck and hoping some of these top recruits actually make it to campus

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point, I read your post 3 times and I'm still lost. I think everyone would agree that adding more top talent would get us over the hump and to the CWS. The guys ending up in the SEC are not worth fretting over because they're not going to end up here.

I trust Penders to continue to find the under the radar talent to get us to Omaha eventually. It's just going to take a bit of luck and hoping some of these top recruits actually make it to campus
That’s funny. And my comment doesn’t make sense. A bit of luck and “hoping” top recruits make it to campus is as tone deaf as I’ve read and I read it once. 22’ is the “eventually” in this comment. Magical season it was. Everything else is and appears to have been there. Coaching, development, mostly recruiting and some luck. If your a piece or two away consistently, go get 2 guys who’d otherwise be SEC caliber talent. UConn isnt going to out recruit the south year n year out. Again, everything is status quo. Just add to what you’ve built. What’s so difficult to understand about that point. Your arguing that no SEC caliber talent will or should play at Uconn…why?? You don’t half a roster every season of that but it’s apparent it’s lacking.

Reaction Score
That’s funny. And my comment doesn’t make sense. A bit of luck and “hoping” top recruits make it to campus is as tone deaf as I’ve read and I read it once. 22’ is the “eventually” in this comment. Magical season it was. Everything else is and appears to have been there. Coaching, development, mostly recruiting and some luck. If your a piece or two away consistently, go get 2 guys who’d otherwise be SEC caliber talent. UConn isnt going to out recruit the south year n year out. Again, everything is status quo. Just add to what you’ve built. What’s so difficult to understand about that point. Your arguing that no SEC caliber talent will or should play at Uconn…why?? You don’t half a roster every season of that but it’s apparent it’s lacking.
But the 2022 season is exactly why I say it's just going to take some luck and getting recruits to campus. We were 1 game away from Omaha with a loaded pitching staff that was missing Reggie Crawford with TJ surgery and 2 of our top recruits blowing up and getting drafted in Mozzicato and Kellington.

But you're living in a fantasy world if you think it's as simple as just going and getting SEC talent to come to UConn. I'm sure that idea has never crossed the coaching staff's mind. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm just not going to be bitter that someone like Loer chooses LSU over UConn (and I don't even know if there was interest from UConn's side anyway)

Reaction Score

But the 2022 season is exactly why I say it's just going to take some luck and getting recruits to campus. We were 1 game away from Omaha with a loaded pitching staff that was missing Reggie Crawford with TJ surgery and 2 of our top recruits blowing up and getting drafted in Mozzicato and Kellington.

But you're living in a fantasy world if you think it's as simple as just going and getting SEC talent to come to UConn. I'm sure that idea has never crossed the coaching staff's mind. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm just not going to be bitter that someone like Loer chooses LSU over UConn (and I don't even know if there was interest from UConn's side anyway)
No bitterness for that at all, heck I didn’t know until yesterday that he transferred. It’s not Loer, by itself, it’s aggressively pursuing the top end arm or top bat Uconn feels fits everything I described that’s already been in place to get them over the hump.

It’s not living in a fantasy world and no I don’t believe for a second it’s simple, but it’s not an excuse. I’m not sure how being as close as they have come and as consistent as they’ve been doesn’t exude the confidence to go get these guys. You only need 1-2 a cycle. UConn is not a step down!

Reaction Score
…Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm just not going to be bitter that someone like Loer chooses LSU over UConn (and I don't even know if there was interest from UConn's side anyway)
This ^.

Some kids are just going to want a change of scenery if/when moving somewhere (and Minnesota->Cincy to Baton Rouge is certainly a change in scenery!).

Reaction Score

The Donyell’s the Ray Allen’s Caron Butlers etc etc. it began somewhere and w/out what was built in 90’ and earlier those guys never find their way to Storrs. The same will apply to baseball

Reaction Score
….and it’s not an identity or culture shift from hard nosed developed recruits who earn it to All American divas filling out the roster. Talent wins

Reaction Score

Next year is the last year of these D3 kids with an extra 2 years of eligibility. College baseball will be alot younger in general and UConn will need to pluck away at JUCO kids like they have in the past and develop their freshman quickly. The days of plugging in 24 and 25 year olds with hundreds of college AB's will be a thing of the past. With NIL, getting the best New England kids will start to cost some serious $$$ too. Whole new world coming.

Reaction Score
No bitterness for that at all, heck I didn’t know until yesterday that he transferred. It’s not Loer, by itself, it’s aggressively pursuing the top end arm or top bat Uconn feels fits everything I described that’s already been in place to get them over the hump.

It’s not living in a fantasy world and no I don’t believe for a second it’s simple, but it’s not an excuse. I’m not sure how being as close as they have come and as consistent as they’ve been doesn’t exude the confidence to go get these guys. You only need 1-2 a cycle. UConn is not a step down!
Isn’t this basically what recruiting Casparius as a transfer from UNC was? I think the staff is very interested in top talent and it’s kind of strange to me that you think they are not making an effort

Reaction Score
Isn’t this basically what recruiting Casparius as a transfer from UNC was? I think the staff is very interested in top talent and it’s kind of strange to me that you think they are not making an effort
Lol forget it.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The Donyell’s the Ray Allen’s Caron Butlers etc etc. it began somewhere and w/out what was built in 90’ and earlier those guys never find their way to Storrs. The same will apply to baseball
Basketball, being indoors, has a slightly more level playing field and the Big East was a top hoops conference. Keep in mind that things started with diamonds in the rough and some local talent before it really took off.
It's not that we can't maybe get lucky and have a big time baseball recruit choose us, but I think the odds are against us. We're a northern team in a lesser conference. I think that Penders spending his time on his kind of dirt dogs kids and not chasing fools gold is the right way to do it. Now if we make the CWS, versus just the tourney, maybe he can set his sights a little higher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom