UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft | The Boneyard

UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Smallwood will go in the range that Sio went. Maybe a tad higher.

Stephen may go in the later rounds (5-7).

I would expect Bennett to get a FA shot with a team.

Reaction Score
Stephen could blow up at the combine and pro day. I expect his stock to improve bigtime.
Same here. I'm shocked he isn't rated higher, but he never took the next step here, he was consistent but never became the dominant force that was expected after his sophomore year. Still, there were games where he stood out. He manhandled Michigan's interior linemen on some plays. Does't seem to have the body type of a Kendall Reyes, who was more athletic.

Reaction Score
SS is a classic nose tackle in the 3-4. For the right team he should be a great value.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Stephen could blow up at the combine and pro day. I expect his stock to improve bigtime.

Love to see him blast 40 reps in the bench.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I honestly believe that Shamar Stephen is one of the most underappreciated players in all of UConn history, for whatever reason. The man drew consistent double teams from the offensive line and always managed to generate a push. He allowed the linebackers in a lot of cases to have clean shots at the RBs. The man is a beast, and he will be sorely missed from this defense next year.

I'm hoping for great things from people like Campenni and Myers, etc., but I can't state enough how important Shamar was to our defense functioning this year...

Reaction Score
Same here. I'm shocked he isn't rated higher, but he never took the next step here, he was consistent but never became the dominant force that was expected after his sophomore year. Still, there were games where he stood out. He manhandled Michigan's interior linemen on some plays. Does't seem to have the body type of a Kendall Reyes, who was more athletic.

It's because he is not a 3 down player. He is a run stuffing NT. I have zero doubt that he will be one of the better NT in the NFL, but he probably won't go until later rounds because he is just a run stuffer.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I honestly believe that Shamar Stephen is one of the most underappreciated players in all of UConn history, for whatever reason. The man drew consistent double teams from the offensive line and always managed to generate a push. He allowed the linebackers in a lot of cases to have clean shots at the RBs. The man is a beast, and he will be sorely missed from this defense next year.

I'm hoping for great things from people like Campenni and Myers, etc., but I can't state enough how important Shamar was to our defense functioning this year...
Good defensive tackles are always underappreciated. Moreso than good offensive lineman, who at least get credit for sacks and running yardage. A good DT will never see the sacks that his counterparts get, the tackles due to being freed up from blocks etc. God Bless SS.

Reaction Score
I hope Stephen continues to fly under the radar, would love for the Eagles to pick him after drafting about 6 corners and safeties.

Reaction Score

Dan I don't think shamar played to his potential. Early in the year he was terrible as Towsons 270lb center had no trouble opening holes for the rb. Last five games he did show something but at 6'5" 330. I expected bigger things.

Reaction Score
As of yesterday >>>

Smallwood as #6 Inside LB here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/ILB

Shamar as #17 DT here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/DT (5-6 rd)

Bennett as #42 OT here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/OT (UDFA?)

Greene as #51 OG here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/OG (UDFA?)

T Mack as #86 CB here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/CB (UDFA?)

Don't think I missed anyone but...

Reaction Score
Not sure why they are calling Yawin an upside player. He is a finished product. Because he plays a position that historically does not go high in drafts, I can see him in the 3rd or 4th round. Some team will get a steal.

And I think Stephen goes to a local team. The Patrioys have a glaring need at NT, and Shamar can be an effective rotation player immediately.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not sure why they are calling Yawin an upside player. He is a finished product. Because he plays a position that historically does not go high in drafts, I can see him in the 3rd or 4th round. Some team will get a steal.

And I think Stephen goes to a local team. The Patrioys have a glaring need at NT, and Shamar can be an effective rotation player immediately.

I wouldn't say NE has a "glaring need" at NT. Between Wilfork and Kelly coming back with the three rookies who have played well, they have talent and depth. However, if Stephen can be an upgrade, I'm sure BB would draft him.

I'd love to add Smallwood to the athletic lb core in NE in addition to getting Mayo back with Fletcher, Collins, and Hightower.

Reaction Score
Yawin and Shamar will be solid pros.

Anyone who drafts Jimmy Bennett should be fired on the spot. Kid struggles mightily with any speed at all, and has had MAJOR injury problems. I'm sure he's a good kid, but if I hear that the Giants draft him in the 7th round or something I'm going to blow a freaking gasket.

Reaction Score

Anyone who drafts Jimmy Bennett should be fired on the spot. Kid struggles mightily with any speed at all, and has had MAJOR injury problems. I'm sure he's a good kid, but if I hear that the Giants draft him in the 7th round or something I'm going to blow a freaking gasket.

I'm curious what team you are a scout for....? Haters gonna hate...you're right.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what team you are a scout for....? Haters gonna hate...you're right.

Is honesty a problem for you or do you prefer to suger-coat bull&h!t and call it candy?

Reaction Score
Is honesty a problem for you or do you prefer to suger-coat bull&h!t and call it candy?

It's only honest if you know what you are talking about. You are just a clueless fan. This is our team. No need to say things like you did.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Who are you looking for the Giants to draft in the seventh round?

You never want to get that pick wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99