UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yawin pulled up with a 5.0 Not good.

It's not necessarily bad if he hurt himself because scouts will obviously just chuck the number, it just means that everything will be based on his pro day.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller2:09pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Yawin Smallwood did not run his second 40-yard dash after pulling up in first one at NFL combine

Have to watch to see if he does the Vertical Leap/Broad Jump or Fields.

Maylock wasn't impressed w/ his films and opined that he should have come back for a 4th year.

UConnFootball3:45pm via TweetDeck
Yawin Smallwood registered a 36.5 inch vertical jump, eight-best among linebackers at the #NFLCombine. #BleedBlue #UConn#RiseUpTogether

Reaction Score
Smallwood's 18 on the bench is certainly disappointing when you compare it to Sio's 29 last year. Not sure how that is possible. He had his whole senior year to get his numbers up.
I wonder if that points to the Jerry Martin and/or the old strength and nutrition program.

Reaction Score
I wonder if that points to the Jerry Martin and/or the old strength and nutrition program.

Don't know, but if he had stayed for his senior year....tough to get old....:confused:

Reaction Score

I said this elsewhere, but Jerry Martin had zero influence on the programs used by the PGDL regime.

Reaction Score
Sketchy source but sharing anyways...

Bears interested in Draft prospect Yawin Smallwood
http://www.givemesport.com/435240-bears-interested-in-draft-prospect-yawin-smallwood

>>Yawin Smallwood could well be on his way to the Chicago Bears in the NFL Draft in May, and the middle linebacker admits that the thought of such a move would make him 'happy'. The former Connecticut defender is well aware of the Bears interest, as they are the only team to have met up with at this current stage. It's understood that the Bears liked what they saw of Smallwood on film, and regardless of his average NFL Combine performance, it looks likely that they will make a play for him in May...<<

Also -- NESN Winners/Losers": http://nesn.com/2014/02/nfl-combine...sers-jadeveon-clowney-aaron-donald-stand-out/

..Yawin Smallwood: Smallwood was expected to shine in the athletic drills, but he pulled up with an injury in the middle of running a 5.01-second 40-yard dash. Unfortunately, that attempt was not stricken from the record, so he’ll forever be known as a 5-second 40-yard dash guy.,,

Reaction Score
The interesting question is whether or not the Bears are interested if Pasqualoni wasn't hired as a defensive coach at the end of January.

Reaction Score
He should have stuck around. Another year of film, and the chance to work with Diaco and the Undertaker would have made him a better player.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller2:18pm via TweetDeck
Yawin Smallwood & Shamar Stephen leading#UConn products showing up in NFL draft player rankings Post original url/1eMySPE

>>The NFL Draft Bible site recently updated its positional rankings and the UConn quartet of Jimmy Bennett, Jesse Joseph, Yawin Smallwood and Shamar Stephen all made the cut.

Smallwood is the No. 3 rated inside linebacker, Stephen is No. 23 among defensive tackles, Bennett is the 27th rated offensive tackle and Joseph ranks 28th among the defensive ends. Stephen and Smallwood are also among the players listed in the NFL.com database. Stephen is tied for eighth among defensive tackles/nose tackles with a grade of 5.4 while Smallwood is tied for seventh among inside linebackers with a 5.2 grade.

There are others with Connecticut ties in the NFL Draft Bible player ratings. Khairi Fortt of Stamford is the No. 15 outside linebacker and Silas Redd of Norwalk is the No. 27 running back while Kevin Pierre-Louis of Norwalk is the 20th rated outside linebacker. Mike Flacco (yes, he is the brother of Ravens QB Joe Flacco) of the University of New Haven is the 18th rated tight end former UConn defensive back Tevrin Brandon out of Monmouth is the No. 46 ranked cornerback.<<

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not sure why they are calling Yawin an upside player. He is a finished product. Because he plays a position that historically does not go high in drafts, I can see him in the 3rd or 4th round. Some team will get a steal.

And I think Stephen goes to a local team. The Patrioys have a glaring need at NT, and Shamar can be an effective rotation player immediately.
The current group think is that he is a good quality prospect but has some question marks. Basically, the rap is he doesn't have good downhill movement , has a false first step (really part of the prior weakness), is stiff in his lower half, and is not good getting to the flats. Another question is his coverage skills. On the last, that is just some group think mythology. He has excellent cover skills. The only thing I noticed was there seemed to be a lot of contacts 2 or 3 yards down field, meaning he was tentative to the fill (or the D-line was not doing its job in freeing him to make strong fills), and he seemed to struggle at times getting inside out in getting to the flats. The pundits seem to think he is a 3rd to 4th round pick and overall assessment is he will be a solid, serviceable LB. I wish he was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom