UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn & 2014 NFL Combine/Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Citing concussions, Fauquier High graduate Kevin Friend abandons NFL dreams
http://www.fauquier.com/news/articl...igh_graduate_kevin_friend_abandons_nfl_dreams

>>A 23-year-old Warrenton native, Friend suffered two concussions during his redshirt senior season with the University of Connecticut football team this past fall. Those injuries were severe enough that the 2009 Fauquier High graduate decided to abandon his plan to pursue a career in professional football. "It was tough," Friend said of his recent decision. "I still kind of second-guess things. … I’m an athlete. I want to compete. That’s my life. Not being able to is awful. "But I started getting these migraines," he said, "and I’d get so dizzy and nauseous. It was unbelievable. That’s when I realized I don’t want to risk my health more."<<

uconn77Feb 06, 7:13pm via Twitter for Android
Officially the oline coach at FHS.

Reaction Score
http://www.fauquier.com/news/articl...igh_graduate_kevin_friend_abandons_nfl_dreams

>>A 23-year-old Warrenton native, Friend suffered two concussions during his redshirt senior season with the University of Connecticut football team this past fall. Those injuries were severe enough that the 2009 Fauquier High graduate decided to abandon his plan to pursue a career in professional football. "It was tough," Friend said of his recent decision. "I still kind of second-guess things. … I’m an athlete. I want to compete. That’s my life. Not being able to is awful. "But I started getting these migraines," he said, "and I’d get so dizzy and nauseous. It was unbelievable. That’s when I realized I don’t want to risk my health more."<<

Good for him. He made a wise choice. You don't play around with that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Nothing but the best of all wishes to Coach Friend. It's really too bad that he had to give up on his dream, but on the brightside, he obtained a degree from one of the finest public universities in the land, got to pursue his passion, and is financially no worse for wear. He's also found a way to remain involved with his passion. Something tells me we will see Coach friend at a higher level, a la DJ Hernandez, before too long.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://www.nfl.com/combine

Yawin Smallwood (LB28) Analysis
STRENGTHS
Good size, acceleration and straight-line speed. Plays on his feet and sidesteps blocks. Gets depth in his zone drops and keeps pace with backs in coverage. Highly productive three-year starter. Respected, coachable team captain.
WEAKNESSES
Average eyes and instincts. Does not use his hands violently to take on and discard blocks. Shows some lower-body stiffness. Dull lateral agility. Does not play downhill and can be a step late to the perimeter. Inconsistent run fits and tackling -- too often fails to wrap and drive through ball carriers.
BOTTOM LINE
Productive college middle linebacker at his best when he’s kept clean or has a clear path. Projects best in a 4-3, where he has enough athleticism and functionality in coverage to play in the middle or on the weak side. Has starter-caliber potential, but might be the type you look to replace.

Shamar Stephen (DL45) Analysis
STRENGTHS
Terrific size. Very athletic for a big man. Generally plays on his feet. Occupies blocks. Flashes the ability to lock out and reestablish the line of scrimmage. Has raw tools to work with. Scheme versatile. Solid personal and football character. Team captain.
WEAKNESSES
Lethargic get-off. Average eyes, instincts and recognition (doesn’t sense screen). Needs to go to school on blocking schemes and learn to fight pressure. Could stand to play with more violence in his hands -- feels his way through plays instead of imposing force. Linear, vanilla rusher (just five career sacks). Moved by double teams. Compete level leaves something to be desired. Disappears for stretches.
BOTTOM LINE
Big, athletic, raw interior defender with underachiever traits who had a fairly nondescript career at UConn, but has crude physical tools for a defensive line coach to mold. Developmental prospect who potentially fits in a 4-3 or as a 3-4 five-technique.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Yawin and Shamar will be solid pros.

Anyone who drafts Jimmy Bennett should be fired on the spot. Kid struggles mightily with any speed at all, and has had MAJOR injury problems. I'm sure he's a good kid, but if I hear that the Giants draft him in the 7th round or something I'm going to blow a freaking gasket.

Giant's don't have a seventh round pick as it was traded for Beason.

I wouldnt mind him getting a free agent look by the G-Men. I actually hope they invite Greene in as he could help back up inside

Reaction Score
desmondconner2:18pm via Twitter for iPhone
"I feel no pressure at all. I've been waiting for this moment all my life" - former #UConnFootball LB Yawin Smallwood on #NFLCombine

desmondconner2:22pm via Twitter for iPhone
"Speed kills so I want to show these coaches I'm fast and instinctive linebacker" - former #UConnFootball LB Yawin Smallwood on #NFLCombine

desmondconner2:31pm via Twitter for iPhone
"Gr8 opportunity for me, want to perform so I can show ppl what kind of player I am" former #UConnFootball DT Shamar Stephen on #NFLCombine

desmondconner2:35pm via Twitter for iPhone
"I focused on a lot of the Combine drills (in Florida) this past week.," former #UConnFootball DT Shamar Stephen on #NFLCombine

Reaction Score
desmondconner2:18pm via Twitter for iPhone
"I feel no pressure at all. I've been waiting for this moment all my life" - former #UConnFootball LB Yawin Smallwood on #NFLCombine

desmondconner2:22pm via Twitter for iPhone
"Speed kills so I want to show these coaches I'm fast and instinctive linebacker" - former #UConnFootball LB Yawin Smallwood on #NFLCombine

desmondconner2:31pm via Twitter for iPhone
"Gr8 opportunity for me, want to perform so I can show ppl what kind of player I am" former #UConnFootball DT Shamar Stephen on #NFLCombine

desmondconner2:35pm via Twitter for iPhone
"I focused on a lot of the Combine drills (in Florida) this past week.," former #UConnFootball DT Shamar Stephen on #NFLCombine

Smallwood And Stephen Ready For NFL Combine
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-nfl-combine-0223-20140222,0,828783.story

Reaction Score
Not sure why they are calling Yawin an upside player. He is a finished product. Because he plays a position that historically does not go high in drafts, I can see him in the 3rd or 4th round. Some team will get a steal.

And I think Stephen goes to a local team. The Patrioys have a glaring need at NT, and Shamar can be an effective rotation player immediately.
Pittsburg should have him on the radar, love to see his jersey.

Reaction Score
Today's bench press results by the YS and SS...

>>The process has actually already begun as Stephen bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times and Smallwood doing 18 reps.

Stephen finished 20 among the 50 defensive linemen with bench-press results posted on the NFL's official site while Smallwood was 20th among 25 linebackers.<<

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/02/big-day-approaching-for-pair-of-former.html

SS got 4 more up than Clowney ;)

LB Bench Press Results: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...4/nfl-combine-results-bench-press-linebackers Top was 2 @ 30

DL Bench Press Results: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...combine-results-bench-press-defensive-linemen Top was 36

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the Texans have a pretty decent shot to keep the UConn pipeline open and bring Stephen onboard later in the draft. They're moving from a 3-4 based on having quick penetrating NTs under Wade Phillips, to one based on having a big guy to occupy blocks up front with Romeo Crennell... and they have NOTHING at the position right now.

Reaction Score
Not bad. Do we know what the 10-yard split is yet? That's generally the more important measure for D-Linemen. Certainly doesn't look like he's hurting himself at the combine so far.

Except that he has literally hurt himself and pulled out after the one run.

Reaction Score
Smallwood's 18 on the bench is certainly disappointing when you compare it to Sio's 29 last year. Not sure how that is possible. He had his whole senior year to get his numbers up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom