Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft

Reaction Score
You know I changed my comment to 20-25.ppg.
. DC would have had 15 ppg this year as a freshman if he was starting and not splitting minutes. IMO.
Without looking it up, what do you think is the last UConn player to average 20 points per game? I am thinking Ray in 95-96. That covers lots of all American guys.

Reaction Score
Yeah, all the people saying 30 minutes. Guys that big just can’t play that many minutes. Even if his conditioning improves I’d guess he’s around that 26 minutes. Foul trouble is a potential problem too. He will be more effective with regular breaks.
I think the foul trouble could be a big issue for him.

Reaction Score
Without looking it up, what do you think is the last UConn player to average 20 points per game? I am thinking Ray in 95-96. That covers lots of all American guys.
Boy I was wrong. So far I have Rip in 1999, Caron in 2002 and Kemba in 2011. Maybe others also

Reaction Score
1683246976638.png

No Tristen. Does that mean better odd’s of returning?

Reaction Score
Is the G League Elite Camp the same thing as the G League combine?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That list - Tyger Campbell, Antoine Davis, Kendric Davis, Markquis Nowell, Spencer Rodgers (little known but a huge talent) for guards. I like TN but he isn't on that level and would think he will be back. Also, no AJax on that list seems strange because he is, in my estimation, a pure project for any NBA possibilities. I wish them all the best in whatever they decide/land but I see them both wearing UConn (more so AJax than TN because of Castle coming on board)
We shall see

Reaction Score
That list - Tyger Campbell, Antoine Davis, Kendric Davis, Markquis Nowell, Spencer Rodgers (little known but a huge talent) for guards. I like TN but he isn't on that level and would think he will be back. Also, no AJax on that list seems strange because he is, in my estimation, a pure project for any NBA possibilities. I wish them all the best in whatever they decide/land but I see them both wearing UConn (more so AJax than TN because of Castle coming on board)
We shall see
Tyger Campbell sucked every time I watched. Antoine Davis is a chuck in every sense of the word. Nowell is 5’8.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We shall see
We already saw a list showing both Andre and Adama had invites. Not sure if this is cut off or just a supplemental list.

Newton just needs to decide if he wants to deal with another year of college or not. It's that simple. He's not going to get drafted. He absolutely could play overseas. He could also try to gut it out in the G League and see if he can work his way into a two way contract. He's tall, steady and can shoot and pass. He's just not that explosive athletically.

Reaction Score
We already saw a list showing both Andre and Adama had invites. Not sure if this is cut off or just a supplemental list.

Newton just needs to decide if he wants to deal with another year of college or not. It's that simple. He's not going to get drafted. He absolutely could play overseas. He could also try to gut it out in the G League and see if he can work his way into a two way contract. He's tall, steady and can shoot and pass. He's just not that explosive athletically.
Andre and Adama got invites to the NBA Combine, this is the next level down from that and focused more on the guys who are likely to end up in the G League. A few guys like Tyrese Martin performed really well and did earn invites to the actual NBA combine at this event last year though

Reaction Score
We shall see
Actually, I suspect TN is a better NBA prospect than all of those other guards. The others are generally undersized and several played at low-majors. Given TN's size (6'5") and his ability to play well in the Big East (and the NCAA Tournament), I'd say he's a much more attractive prospect. He's got solid athleticism to go along with the size, and he's a decent shooter. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him make an NBA roster one day.

Reaction Score
Actually, I suspect TN is a better NBA prospect than all of those other guards. The others are generally undersized and several played at low-majors. Given TN's size (6'5") and his ability to play well in the Big East (and the NCAA Tournament), I'd say he's a much more attractive prospect. He's got solid athleticism to go along with the size, and he's a decent shooter. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him make an NBA roster one day.
Totally agree and once he adapted to his teammates and vice versa he excelled.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think Hurley told Tristen to go? Not that he is a problem, but because we have a lot of guys coming in and he already graduated and won a national championship. No inside knowledge, just a hunch. I personally hope he comes back.

Reaction Score
He's got solid athleticism to go along with the size, and he's a decent shooter.

No, he doesn't. And that's why he isn't getting a whiff of interest from the league. Even in the g-league he would be a bottom tier athlete. There's a reason why he shot 38% from 2-point land as a 6'5 guard. That's pretty horrible.

He's a solid college guard, and I hope he comes back. You don't win championships by accident. Great IQ most of the time and has a penchant for hitting 28-footers--we can live with that. Good rebounder too, and cut down his TOs since ECU. I think he would make Castle a better player, too.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think Hurley told Tristen to go? Not that he is a problem, but because we have a lot of guys coming in and he already graduated and won a national championship. No inside knowledge, just a hunch. I personally hope he comes back.
I think DH might have encouraged TN to explore the process from a place of love. One could argue that TN and AJ really helped their stock in the postseason run, and why not strike while the iron is hot? The fact that the staff is busy with 2024 and 2025 recruits, and not the portal, shows his loyalty to TN and AJ. If they get NBA roster spots, he’d be happy for them as people. If the process doesn’t work out perfectly, they’d be welcomed back with open arms to make another room and show their value with arguably increased roles for either.

Reaction Score
I think DH might have encouraged TN to explore the process from a place of love. One could argue that TN and AJ really helped their stock in the postseason run, and why not strike while the iron is hot? The fact that the staff is busy with 2024 and 2025 recruits, and not the portal, shows his loyalty to TN and AJ. If they get NBA roster spots, he’d be happy for them as people. If the process doesn’t work out perfectly, they’d be welcomed back with open arms to make another room and show their value with arguably increased roles for either.
I think that they aren't active in the portal shows he thinks at least one of them is coming back.

Reaction Score
I think that they aren't active in the portal shows he thinks at least one of them is coming back.
There’s a fair amount of uncertainty in the process, and it’s tough to leave eligibility on the table to leave and risk being either undrafted or not getting first round guaranteed money. Mock drafts are an inexact science, granted, but I saw one that didn’t have Hawkins going in the first round. I think that’s insane and a total outlier, obviously. But some have Hawkins slipping to the late teens and even early twenties. If that’s Hawkins, then imagine the level of uncertainty out there.

Reaction Score
Selfishly I would love to have one or both of Tristen and AJ back. But I hope they both kill it and create opportunities for a bright future away from Storrs. If not, open arms right?
I think this is a win-win for both UConn and Newton and AJax. If they both go to the NBA or overseas (more likely for Newton) and make good money, it will hurt UConn in the short term. Hurley and his staff would have to find some decent transfers in the portal, which I think they can and will, but they won't be enough to make up for the loss of Newton and AJax. However, in the long term Hurley and his staff can leverage Newton and AJax going pro within his recruiting pitches to transfers and high school prospects by saying "you can come here and put the team winning first and it can enhance, not diminish, your chances of making it to the next level. Look at Tristen Newton and Andre Jackson for proof". He can mention Hawk and Sanogo, too, as I am sure Sanogo can make good money in a high level European league if he doesn't play in the NBA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hope so. It could also show that he doesn't know what he needs most. They do have one slot no matter what, but do we need a PG? SG? SF? It is one of those for sure. They wanted Timberlake, possibly because he can fill a hybrid 2-3 role plus add some ball handling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom