Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s possible he already has an agent/manager. Do players have to announce if they do?
That’s actually a good question… I know they did before NIL because it marked that they were staying in the draft.

Now I’m not sure how NIL has affected having an agent and keeping your college eligibility.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree. If Kevin Ollie could make it in the NBA, Tristen who's a much better scorer can.

He steadily improved his game all year, peaking in the championship game, so he's still on the steep part of his learning curve. Now that he's had a year learning how to fit in with strong teammates, he's ready for an eye-opening year at UConn and then the NBA. Getting the NBA feedback now and having a year to fix and rebut criticisms under Hurley's tutelage will help his standings immensely. It proves coachability and ability to keep improving.
KO had intangibles that many players didn't, the strongest was his floor vision and IQ. Newton doesn't come close to KO in that respect.
Newton and AJax are very smart in keeping the return to school option open. I feel/hope they are doing this as a "testing the waters" and seeking no BS assessments from the NBA people.
To be honest, I don't see either as a 1st rounder in 2023 - AJax maybe a very low 1st rounder on a team that will use him as a project rather than a foreign player purely based on his athleticism. Newton is in that area of being vanilla for the NBA - there are a lot like him out there. Jim Calhoun can get them both a place to play overseas if they want to make some decent cash.
I'm happy that UConn is again sending people into the pro ranks - it's very important for this program to do so consistently and with kids who have their heads screwed on in the proper direction. I would not be surprised at all if we see both AJax and Newton wearing a UConn uniform next season. Best wishes to all these hopefuls.

Reaction Score
That’s actually a good question… I know they did before NIL because it marked that they were staying in the draft.

Now I’m not sure how NIL has affected having an agent and keeping your college eligibility.
I seem to recall that the whole hiring-an-agent scenario was changed a few years ago, before NIL was in the picture. Something about a category or list of approved agents that a player could sign with without forfeiting his eligibility? Can someone not speaking out of his or her tuchus help me out here?

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
I seem to recall that the whole hiring-an-agent scenario was changed a few years ago, before NIL was in the picture. Something about a category or list of approved agents that a player could sign with without forfeiting his eligibility? Can someone not speaking out of his or her tuchus help me out here?
I think the agents need ncaa approval and special certification for student athletes

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
H

Zach Edey 22 points per game. UConn has never had a center the size of DC who spparently is 7 ‘3” now,which is 1 inch shorter than ZE. DC did have 20 against Marquette season and tournament champion. We’re not splitting minutes with another center like last year.
Ever heard of Hasheem Thabeet?

Reaction Score
H

Zach Edey 22 points per game. UConn has never had a center the size of DC who spparently is 7 ‘3” now,which is 1 inch shorter than ZE. DC did have 20 against Marquette season and tournament champion. We’re not splitting minutes with another center like last year.
Hurley doesn't agree with you. And he's the one handing out playing time.

“Donovan’s not going to be able to be a 32 to 34 minutes a game player, nor do we want him to be,” Hurley said. “We want Donovan to be able to be in that 26-to-28-minute range I think in a perfect world and there’s gonna be more frontcourt minutes there.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley doesn't agree with you. And he's the one handing out playing time.

“Donovan’s not going to be able to be a 32 to 34 minutes a game player, nor do we want him to be,” Hurley said. “We want Donovan to be able to be in that 26-to-28-minute range I think in a perfect world and there’s gonna be more frontcourt minutes there.”

Yeah, all the people saying 30 minutes. Guys that big just can’t play that many minutes. Even if his conditioning improves I’d guess he’s around that 26 minutes. Foul trouble is a potential problem too. He will be more effective with regular breaks.

Reaction Score
Yeah, all the people saying 30 minutes. Guys that big just can’t play that many minutes. Even if his conditioning improves I’d guess he’s around that 26 minutes. Foul trouble is a potential problem too. He will be more effective with regular breaks.
Zach Edey averaged 32 minutes per game this past season.

CLAS92

Muttley
Reaction Score
Just like Andre, this is the logical decision. Get feedback and if it's not what he wants to hear, come back. Congrats Tristen
Even if they don’t come back, Hurley will be fighting them off with a stick in the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
How'd that work out for Purdue?
We know they lost first round and that everyone outside of Edey fell apart and couldn't make threes. What does that have to do with HuskyHawk saying guys that big just can't play that many minutes?

Reaction Score
Clingan has a high motor. He's not quite at Sanogo's legendary workrate flashing around the paint on the offensive end, but outside of the high hedge he's much more active defensively and in transition. Sanogo was able to work that hard because he only had to play 26.6 min per night.

Clingan was in worse shape coming in and is only 1 year into better conditioning. He's not going to be able to play more than 30 minutes this year very often and certainly not as an average. We're going to need either Samson or Singare (or maybe a portal depth piece) to give us 12 min a night at the 5.

Reaction Score
Zach Edey averaged 32 minutes per game this past season.
He averaged this much because they had no backup and virtually no other scoring on the roster. It made Purdue's offense incredibly predictable and one-dimensional.

The structure we used this year with Sanogo and Clingan is perfect. I'd love to see Donovan slide into the 26-28 mpg as the starter and have one or both of Singare and Samson backup off the bench to spell him. Keeps Donovan fresh and limits his ability to get in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Big men can’t play that much in modern basketball tbh. Old days, a big man could sit in the paint and just put his hands up.

Now? They are asking big men to be mobile defensively and then run the floor. Donovan runs the floor, incredibly for his size, but that takes a lot of energy.

Reaction Score
He averaged this much because they had no backup and virtually no other scoring on the roster. It made Purdue's offense incredibly predictable and one-dimensional.

The structure we used this year with Sanogo and Clingan is perfect. I'd love to see Donovan slide into the 26-28 mpg as the starter and have one or both of Singare and Samson backup off the bench to spell him. Keeps Donovan fresh and limits his ability to get in foul trouble.
The structure we used this year doesn't happen anywhere else. It was totally unique and the biggest reason we won the national championship. We had 2 of the best centers in the entire country playing on the same team and one of them was the best 6th man in the country.

Playing Zach Edey 32 minutes per game worked amazingly well for Purdue considering their lack of talent and freshman backcourt. They won the Big 10 regular season, the Big 10 tournament, and were a 1 seed. The reason they lost first round is because the rest of the team kind of sucks, they shot like 15% from three, and the Big 10 style doesn't adapt well in the tournament when they run into a bunch of little guys who play fast and can shoot from all over.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We know they lost first round and that everyone outside of Edey fell apart and couldn't make threes. What does that have to do with HuskyHawk saying guys that big just can't play that many minutes?
Didn't Sanogo just get the MOP after playing many fewer minutes then the year before?

Reaction Score
Didn't Sanogo just get the MOP after playing many fewer minutes then the year before?
Yes, Sanogo played fewer minutes than the year before because he had the best 6th man in the country backing him up. Edey played 32 minutes per game because he didn't have an amazing backup, he won player of the year.

UConn won't have the best 6th man in the country as their backup center next season.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
2 years ago- Dan really needs to get some guys into the NBA. The only way to get NBA level players and a good team here is with him showing he can get guys into the NBA.

Now- National Champs & guys declaring for the draft.
Boneyard-Sky falling & everyone losing their mind
us old timers have been here before... remember the 97team.... I think that worked pretty good

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The structure we used this year doesn't happen anywhere else. It was totally unique and the biggest reason we won the national championship. We had 2 of the best centers in the entire country playing on the same team and one of them was the best 6th man in the country.

Playing Zach Edey 32 minutes per game worked amazingly well for Purdue considering their lack of talent and freshman backcourt. They won the Big 10 regular season, the Big 10 tournament, and were a 1 seed. The reason they lost first round is because the rest of the team kind of sucks, they shot like 15% from three, and the Big 10 style doesn't adapt well in the tournament when they run into a bunch of little guys who play fast and can shoot from all over.
And maybe Zach was tired? Odd that the shortest team in the tourney beat the team with the tallest player in the tourney. Tall isn’t everything. We need to surround Donovan with good guards. There were plenty of comments about how well Joey played with DC. Need the good guards

Reaction Score
And maybe Zach was tired? Odd that the shortest team in the tourney beat the team with the tallest player in the tourney. Tall isn’t everything. We need to surround Donovan with good guards. There were plenty of comments about how well Joey played with DC. Need the good guards
No, they didn't lose because he was tired. They lost because he can't score every point for them. He was getting swarmed and kicked it out to wide open shooters all game who missed all game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom