Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tristen Newton Declaring for Draft

Reaction Score
Would love to see him back but the guy just might be done with college. Highly unlikely he gets drafted, maybe he gets a 2 way deal but I’d be surprised with that outcome. But we saw the same thing with RJ last year: guy was ready to move onto professional options and can’t blame him for that, he did graduate already. With Hawk, Sanogo, Jackson (likely gone, Joey C, and Alleyene all gone, all the older guys are gone, maybe he doesn’t want to stick around with the young pups. We’ll see what happens. UConn fans need to just sit back and chill, they’ll be fine. Things feel a lot different when you’re coming off a national title, and you have a core of DC, AK, SC, and a top 3 recruiting class. Sky isn’t falling…

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
One concern is we are losing our experience for transitioning the Fab 5 from HS to college. Next year that job will fall to two Sophs Karaban and Clingan. I think both have the leadership qualities needed. With Castle it will be their team

Reaction Score
Would love to see him back but the guy just might be done with college. Highly unlikely he gets drafted, maybe he gets a 2 way deal but I’d be surprised with that outcome. But we saw the same thing with RJ last year: guy was ready to move onto professional options and can’t blame him for that, he did graduate already. With Hawk, Sanogo, Jackson (likely gone, Joey C, and Alleyene all gone, all the older guys are gone, maybe he doesn’t want to stick around with the young pups. We’ll see what happens. UConn fans need to just sit back and chill, they’ll be fine. Things feel a lot different when you’re coming off a national title, and you have a core of DC, AK, SC, and a top 3 recruiting class. Sky isn’t falling…
Totally agree. What’s most important is that Hurley and staff have identified the style of play they want going forward and will get players to plug the holes that need filling. Happy so far none of our coaching staff have left(fingers crossed). I’m sure with new players getting plugged in each year it will still be “we” basketball. That is the key.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sometimes we forget that guys often just want to get on with their life. No idea if Tristan does, but he's 22. There are younger guys with a few years in the NBA. It didn't seem that being a student appealed to him all that much. We are definitely better if he's back, but he's got to make the decision.

Reaction Score
Best of luck Tristen! Hope he crushes it and works himself in a position to be drafted

He had his struggles at times this year but let’s not forget he put up 2 triple doubles, shot 37% from deep, and showed out with 19/10 in the championship game.

He’s a 6’5 PG/CG, and I reckon he’s a better scorer than we were able to see last year. It’s an uphill battle, but you never know! I’ll support whatever decision he makes.

Reaction Score
One concern is we are losing our experience for transitioning the Fab 5 from HS to college. Next year that job will fall to two Sophs Karaban and Clingan. I think both have the leadership qualities needed. With Castle it will be their team
Clingan can easily average 25 points per game. One good SG and we’re top ten

Reaction Score
Sometimes we forget that guys often just want to get on with their life. No idea if Tristan does, but he's 22. There are younger guys with a few years in the NBA. It didn't seem that being a student appealed to him all that much. We are definitely better if he's back, but he's got to make the decision.
22, his draft stock is higher than ever, and he's got some very apparent strengths (NBA range, FT shooting, good size, rebounding). I think his game actually translates better to the NBA than it did to the Big East. If he can continue to improve defensively, it seems like he ticks a lot of boxes

Reaction Score
Right. And all the older guys he played with are basically gone. The idea of another year in college might not appeal to him. We won’t even be having these conversations in another year or two, as the extra Covid year will be gone for most guys. I hope he comes back, they need older, good players. But he graduated and can’t blame him if he wants to go play pro ball somewhere, nothing left to prove in college at this point.

Reaction Score
I’ll take way easy and put 20 to 25 ppg
Sanogo, who was significantly...or "way significantly" for your benefit...more advanced offensively than Clingan just put up 17ppg, but ya we'll just make it an easy even 25 for DC

Reaction Score
I really hate the declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent. I wish it was all or nothing. It puts the school in a tough spot trying to fill roster spots with current players' statuses in limbo. It's also bad for other players if a team goes and fills roster spots assuming the players will go, and then they lose their scholarships when those players withdraw from the draft.
I disagree - it gives players the opportunity to gather more feedback on their NBA prospects. That way, they can make the most informed decision possible on what’s best for their future.

It might be annoying for us as fans, but what’s best for the players is all that matters here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Also, just wanna point out that the staff has obviously known what they were gonna do for awhile now. The fact they haven’t reached out to any replacements probably gives us a hint to which way they’re leaning.

Agree on knowing the staff knowing theywere going to declare but not so sure about the replacements piece.

Seems like they were pretty much all in on Timberlake and him going to Kansas was a bit of a surprise.

They'll figure it out and trust they have info and a plan in place but I think the original plan has been derailed (probably to no fault of the staff).

Reaction Score
H
I mean...I thought for sure it was MPG. That? Yes, 25 or so. PPG? Nope. Sanogo was the most skilled offensive center UConn ever had and he didn't manage that. Clingan isn't Wilt. If Hurley lets him shoot 3s and he hits some, 15 PPG is possible.
Zach Edey 22 points per game. UConn has never had a center the size of DC who spparently is 7 ‘3” now,which is 1 inch shorter than ZE. DC did have 20 against Marquette season and tournament champion. We’re not splitting minutes with another center like last year.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if AJ/TN declaring and exploring their draft value wasn't always part of the plan.. DH will always encourage his guys to take advantage of the valuable feedback that is derived from the pre-draft workouts. As to whether they stay in the draft or return.. Gonna have to wait until May 31st. I'm sure there will be daily statuses/updates/communications with DH/staff as to how they're performing and what the NBA guys are saying to them.. I will not be surprised if at least one of them returns.

In the meantime.. There will continue to be additional players hitting the portal and I'm sure DH/staff know what kind of talent they're looking for to fill out the roster. Timberlake moving on to Kansas is not the end of the world. Who knows.. Maybe at the famous CG dinner Timberlake figured that TN/AJ were intending to return all along after declaring and he didn't see the PT potential he was looking for..

Reaction Score
I wish Newton the best! I hope you get drafted in 1st round! Would be great to see three Huskies drafted in the first round- probably a pipe dream- but hopefully all four get drafted!!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Right. And all the older guys he played with are basically gone. The idea of another year in college might not appeal to him. We won’t even be having these conversations in another year or two, as the extra Covid year will be gone for most guys. I hope he comes back, they need older, good players. But he graduated and can’t blame him if he wants to go play pro ball somewhere, nothing left to prove in college at this point.
The only reason I’d disagree is that he didn’t hire an agent. Signaling he wants to see what the feedback is and keep the college door open.

I haven’t seen him on any mocks so I’m not sure if he’s going to get feedback that makes him want to make the jump. Andre Jackson would be different though.

Reaction Score
The only reason I’d disagree is that he didn’t hire an agent. Signaling he wants to see what the feedback is and keep the college door open.

I haven’t seen him on any mocks so I’m not sure if he’s going to get feedback that makes him want to make the jump. Andre Jackson would be different though.
It’s possible he already has an agent/manager. Do players have to announce if they do?

Reaction Score
H

Zach Edey 22 points per game. UConn has never had a center the size of DC who spparently is 7 ‘3” now,which is 1 inch shorter than ZE. DC did have 20 against Marquette season and tournament champion. We’re not splitting minutes with another center like last year.
Exactly. Zach Edey, the NPOY and one of the most dominant players in a long time, averaged 22 PPG. So the idea that Donovan Clingan is going to average 25 PPG easy is ludicrous. He can and probably will have an unbelievable season, but even the best season imaginable likely doesn't result in 25 easy

Reaction Score
You know I changed my comment to 20-25.ppg.
. DC would have had 15 ppg this year as a freshman if he was starting and not splitting minutes. IMO.

Reaction Score

Yeah definitely. I mean, there’s no guarantee he even gets an invite to the combine, I just don’t see him getting drafted. But that doesn’t mean he can’t get into the G League or pursue other professional routes like RJ did. He graduated already, he doesn’t have to come back to school. Again the extra Covid year sort of warped our brains, since these guys get an extra year of eligibility. Two years from now, they just graduate and move on. I want him back but definitely wouldn’t be surprised to see him pursue some pro options at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom