Trap game. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Trap game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's be clear. The WMU game was NOT a Trap Game, let alone an energy trap game, whatever that is.

1) The first criteria of a trap game is that one team should be markedly better than the opponent "setting" the trap. 2) the game is played before or after a tough or rival opponent. 3) The team 3a) looks past an opponent preparing for the following week's game, or 3b) has a letdown after beating a tough or rival opponent.

Think back to Philosophy 102 (which was Logic back in 1997). These are not either/or criteria. If one premise fails the conclusion is not valid.

To Me, UConn does not meet the first criteria. However, if one insists on wearing National Flag Blue colored glasses, then I posit that neither Maryland, nor Buffalo, are neither a rivals, nor a tough opponents and do you really think the team was looking forward to Buffalo? Why? WMU is also not a rival opponent (merely 2 games, with no more on the horizon, between teams 800 miles apart does not a rivalry make). They lost to 2 mid-tier (at best) B1G teams, one soundly and one narrowly, which is evidence against toughness. And finally, UConn's Defense gave up 23 points while the offense in general had its best game of the season. Where is the letdown?

This whole trap game nonsense is just noise.

WMU is a better football team than UConn. Period. If that upsets people, so be it.

Reaction Score
Trap game is an away game, where you underestimate the opponent and usually the opponent has some sort of crazy home field advantage like a boisterous home crowd and a blue field.

If we underestimated WMU when their same QB passed for like 4 Trillion yards against us last season, then this wasn't a trap game. It was a cock up of the highest order.

Chronic problems with the Oline aside, anyone who has played any kind of organized team sports should know that it's next to impossible to be 100% up for every game. Even great teams that go undefeated have at least one game where they come out of the gate stale.

We came out flat and went down 17-0

Reaction Score
The Maryland game was circled on the calendar for a lot of those guys 2 years ago. There is no way that Maryland game wasn't emotionally taxing. Teams play flat from time to time. It makes sense that they would play flat on the road after a tough win that came down to the wire in a game they probably wanted to win more than any other game on the schedule.

I would guess they were flat all week in practice based on the way they came out Saturday and the coaches should have better prepared them mentally. They should have had last year's score plastered all over the meeting rooms, the locker rooms, everywhere. Maybe they did and it didn't matter.

Trap game, flat game, who gives a how we define it. WMU outplayed us and we lost yet another game that was very winnable. That's the reason why we didn't go bowling last year, and if it continues, it will be the reason we don't go bowling this year.

Reaction Score
This whole trap game nonsense is just noise.

WMU is a better football team than UConn. Period. If that upsets people, so be it.

Not true Jimmy, UConn and WMU are both 2-2. I hope somebody locks this discussion. I posted the source of the entire concept of the term "trap" game.

The interpretation of that term has become quite distorted over the past 10 years, since Parcells first used mousetraps as a motivational tool.

We had national media fawning all over our defense last week, how great they were. on a different thread, I, and a few others, talked about how our backside of our defense needs some improvement in certain areas of the game, and we got pooped on by the know it alls around here. What happened, we went on the road, our defense ate the cheese, and we fell into a 17-0 trap, and couldn't get out.

Period.

I hope this discussion drops off soon. The game is over, and I guarantee the lessons have been learned by the 18-20 year olds.

Reaction Score
I hope this discussion drops off soon. The game is over, and I guarantee the lessons have been learned by the 18-20 year olds.

Every year, after every loss, you predict the mistakes won't be repeated. Then they are. Your optimism seems endless. I kind of envy you for that.

Reaction Score
Every year, after every loss, you predict the mistakes won't be repeated. Then they are. Your optimism seems endless. I kind of envy you for that.

That's football my friend. There's a new game every week, there's a new season every year, to correct every mistake you ever make.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
New Mexico, Washington State, Michigan, Troy, BYU and Utah are all 2-2. I guess none of them are better than each other too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Not for nothing, Carl, and with all due respect, but you originally brought this topic up.

Reaction Score
why is it so hard for people to be fair and objective? we aren't that good, we played a team that probably isn't that good but they played better that day.

stop all this nonsense and cliche BS. if we somehow pulled out the win at the end these topics are completely different and we're talking about other cliches like 'we have guts' 'we're clutch' 'we did what we needed to win' etc etc. its all nonsense.

they were better than us and they won, move on to the next one. but please for the sake of humanity, stop with the cliches.

Reaction Score
why is it so hard for people to be fair and objective? we aren't that good, we played a team that probably isn't that good but they played better that day.

stop all this nonsense and cliche BS. if we somehow pulled out the win at the end these topics are completely different and we're talking about other cliches like 'we have guts' 'we're clutch' 'we did what we needed to win' etc etc. its all nonsense.

they were better than us and they won, move on to the next one. but please for the sake of humanity, stop with the cliches.

At the end of the day, you win some you lose some. It is what it is.

(sorry)

Reaction Score

The writing is on the wall, now, all that glitters is not gold, we're still looking for that diamond in the rough with recruiting, in addition to getting in the mix with the big boys in the all's fair in love and war battle of big time recruiting, our offense needs to stop playing like weak like pansies on the line, and even though our coaches seem like they are older than dirt, every cloud as a silver lining and the players need to stop giving them gray hair, and we know that every rose has it's thorn, and hopefully we'll be a giant thorn in Buffalo's side on Saturday, and get the ball rolling from there into confernece play, because a rolling stone gathers no moss.

Reaction Score
The writing is on the wall, now, all that glitters is not gold, we're still looking for that diamond in the rough with recruiting, in addition to getting in the mix with the big boys in the all's fair in love and war battle of big time recruiting, our offense needs to stop playing like weak like pansies on the line, and even though our coaches seem like they are older than dirt, every cloud as a silver lining and the players need to stop giving them gray hair, and we know that every rose has it's thorn, and hopefully we'll be a giant thorn in Buffalo's side on Saturday, and get the ball rolling from there into confernece play, because a rolling stone gathers no moss.

glad you have a sense of humor. in all honesty tho, thats how i read all of your posts. they all sound like that.

Reaction Score
glad you have a sense of humor. in all honesty tho, thats how i read all of your posts. they all sound like that.

You can't please everybody. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Reaction Score
i'd argue that the horse just wasn't properly motivated. hype that horse up... no excuses. need to see that fire in his eyes!! this is our time! that horse is talented! does that horse want it bad enough!!! i can't stand horses with no sense of urgency.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

New game to pass the time between home games:

Identify any clichés that Carl did not use in this post.

Reaction Score
New game to pass the time between home games:

Identify any clichés that Carl did not use in this post.

I would be treading on thin ice if I didn't admit that this was beating a dead horse, but I would be counting my chickens before they hatch if I said that building a football program was like building a plane while in mid-flight, but he definitely left out three our four cliches that I can think of off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
I would be treading on thin ice if I didn't admit that this was beating a dead horse, but I would be counting my chickens before they hatch if I said that building a football program was like building a plane while in mid-flight, but he definitely left out three our four cliches that I can think of off the top of my head.

Rome wasn't built in a day, mid-flight or not

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
All I can say is a stitch in time saves 9....LOSSES!

Reaction Score
Business Lawyer said it wasn't a trap game, so you must be wrong.

I said last week it was a Trap Game, coming after two big games with ACC teams. Add in an emotional win on the road against Randy Edsall the week before and the table was set for a flatliner. But . . . oh no!!!! It is not a trap game, cried the legion of follower. So if Biz said it wasn't . . . . it definitely was.

Reaction Score
I said last week it was a Trap Game, coming after two big games with ACC teams. Add in an emotional win on the road against Randy Edsall the week before and the table was set for a flatliner. But . . . oh no!!!! It is not a trap game, cried the legion of follower. So if Biz said it wasn't . . . . it definitely was.

Well, former Navy SEAL, Space Shuttle Pilot, Dancing With the Stars Legend, Dick Cheney Protoge and New York Giants HC, Bill Parcells says differently. He was laying Roach Motels out all week. Because the term "Trap Game" never existed before. ever.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
an_energy_vampires_buffet__by_xcrazyxforxchibisx-d4vshnc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads