Trap game. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trap game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We beat Maryland.

They're lousy too, so just stop already.

Fishy is so right.....trap game? vs. a team who kicked your ass the previous year? Doubt it.............oh yeah and if they weren't motivated who's it on? Yeah the players to a point but the coaches too........it's not working and needs to change before it's too late.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If this was the effect of a trap game, shame on the staff and the players. The final part of the trap equation, the upcoming opponent (Buffalo in this case) should not have caused such concern that the current opponent received insufficient focus.

Carl, if you want to make excuses, all it does is show quite a bit about your so called expertise.

Reaction Score
If this was the effect of a trap game, shame on the staff and the players. The final part of the trap equation, the upcoming opponent (Buffalo in this case) should not have caused such concern that the current opponent received insufficient focus.

Carl, if you want to make excuses, all it does is show quite a bit about your so called expertise.

"We didn't hold up our end of the deal," defensive tackle Ryan Wirth said. "I think in the beginning we were a little out of focus."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-jacobs-uconn-column-0923-20120923,0,5949807.column

F88k off all of you. these kids are personal to me. This program is personal to me, most of you don't know what the duck you are looking at or talking about.

It was clear as day that this game was going to be difficult for these kids mentally, and it took a 17-0 hole before they starting playing as a team, with the energy they needed, and they almost pulled it off.

But you frigging idiots want the coach's heads.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"We didn't hold up our end of the deal," defensive tackle Ryan Wirth said. "I think in the beginning we were a little out of focus."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-jacobs-uconn-column-0923-20120923,0,5949807.column

F88k off all of you. these kids are personal to me. This program is personal to me, most of you don't know what the duck you are looking at or talking about.

It was clear as day that this game was going to be difficult for these kids mentally, and it took a 17-0 hole before they starting playing as a team, with the energy they needed, and they almost pulled it off.

If a shot to get revenge for an embarrassing defeat doesn't motivate you - what does?

The coaching staff should never have been hired. Some might want to compound that mistake by allowing it more time. Others would prefer to cut their losses sooner rather than later.

Wirth's quote is an indictment of the coaching staff as well as the players. Is Buffalo a trap game too - they play a rival next week?

Reaction Score
If a shot to get revenge for an embarrassing defeat doesn't motivate you - what does?

The coaching staff should never have been hired. Some might want to compound that mistake by allowing it more time. Others would prefer to cut their losses sooner rather than later.

Wirth's quote is an indictment of the coaching staff as well as the players. Is Buffalo a trap game too - they play a rival next week?

I agree completely. Just look at the idiot who orchestrated the hire, I just simply can't believe that the best we could do was a washed up retread.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Let me get this straight. Because you played for this team a few years before they we embarrassed by a D-2 University of New Haven squad you have sufficient credibility as a former player that some of us who may have played at a similar level do not have? I call BS on that. I also call BS on your conclusion that the lack of energy for the bulk of the first half was because this was a trap game as with this logic, any situation where someone is not prepared is a trap.

Reaction Score
Smart (well even semi smart) coaches figure out Uconn's offense and defensive schemes. If have opponent QB who can handle call adjustments at line of scrimmage Uconn's defense will be shreaded with short passes until give up one on one deep; if not the other team will guess on play calling and get our defense out of position 5-6 times a game for potential big plays. Just how it is, some opponent offenses get it figured out before the game (WM) and others take a few series.
When game is in balance, opponents challenge Uconn to pass more than 10 yards, cover run and short passes and play man on deep. Good % defense against Uconn based on play calling and Uconn's execution to date.
There are no trap games nor emotional let downs. WM was too physical and smacked the Uconn lines around. Agree with not being prepared if you mean haven't gotten strong enough, agile enough, technical movements learned, schemes learned enough and just aren't good enough; not if mean forgot to start the game with effort - that is just a loser's excuse. You win in the summer, Uconn hasn't shown it used that time to its advantage. Large part of this is on the coaches, players have their part too.
Uconn could be 4-0 with two plays different; could be 1-3 with one play different.
I'm thinking that all the "trap game", "SH and WM did it" is just being funny, but ... So now I should worry that Buff. is a trap game before the big rivalry game at Rutger?

Reaction Score
Business Lawyer said it wasn't a trap game, so you must be wrong.

The players did not come out with their best. That makes it a trap game and means I was incorrect.

See how easy that is folks? You don't need to go after people who say you made a mistake.

Reaction Score
No.

I've watched it now, twice, and if we were playing with anywhere near the intensity we played with last week, this game is no contest.

It's not easy to do though, and it's rare to find a group of players within a team that have the internal ability to motivate like that - and you really do need to play with that kind of fire we had last week, every week, to be a top 10 team in the country.

Motivation, and finding ways to motivate players, is what makes coaches great, and what makes talented teams into champions.

I think we're a talented team. But we're 2-2 right now.

I don't know how talented we are, but I agree with 90% of that. The loss was not about turnovers or schemes or playcalling. They wanted it more than us.

Reaction Score
I think some fans are taking this loss a little harder than they should. It sucked, but WMU is a good team, just like they were last year. So many people here are bitching that we should never lose to a MAC team, but that's now how football works. I'm sure South Carolina thought they should never lose to a Big East team. How do you think Michigan, VTech, etc, looked after losing to 1AA teams over the last few years? They both made BCS games after losing to 1AA teams. All we did was lose to a good team, maybe even a better team than us as they were ranked higher than us preseason by every mag I saw, in an unmotivated effort. It sucks, but our OOC schedule is our preseason. Nothing that was available before isn't available now, other than an undefeated season.

My biggest concern is that this is the first time we've seen our defense look vulnerable and that was a pretty lousy thing to see. I think intensity is the difference between us getting in Carder's face and not, and we didn't. Hopefully we'll fix that, I think we will. I was happy to see Whitmer get some confidence. He looked like he wanted to hit something after throwing that first TD, so hopefully he'll get in the habit of making TD throws. I think a lot of times with a passing game it comes down the the team getting in the habit of making the play, and if we continue to get some rhythm we might see the offense we wanted to see by the end of the season.

Buffalo should be a good game. We should beat them (of course I heard/said that before) and hopefully we'll open up our playbook before spotting them 17 points.

Reaction Score
I don't know how talented we are, but I agree with 90% of that. The loss was not about turnovers or schemes or playcalling. They wanted it more than us.

I watched the game last night for the first time. WMU is just better than us. It's that simple really.

I paid close attention to the OL and all I will say without calling anyone out directly.......some changes need to be made. Way too many times I saw guys not touching a defender. And that, I think, is a byproduct of DeLeone's scheme. I'm going to wait before the year is over to judge the staff, but miracles will need to happen if I'm going to be ok with DeLeone returning in 2013.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calling it a "trap game" is just excuse making. It keeps us from analyzing the root cause and taking corrective action.

Reaction Score
I was worried about an emotional let down after last week's big game they all tried to downplay.

But WMU came in our house and took a win away in the 4th quarter. There's no excuse not to come ready to play.

I think Saturday will tell us a lot. If we go into halftime up 3-4 touchdowns then maybe this team has some fire and some heart and is ready to turn it around.

If we struggle through this game, this season may be lost. And please don't blame it on the crowd. All of these guys played in high school. Did they need 40,000 screaming fans to show up to play hard every week? Or were 400 enough? They don't need a blue out. Just a little pride and desire.

Reaction Score
It's not scheme on the OL, they weren't missing assignments like they were against NC State, these offensive linemen get run over and run around. These guys just aren't playing mean enough on the OL. I don't know what it is, somebody needs to stick a cattle prod up their asses, or beat them with a stick. The play calling, complexity of scheme isn't the issue anymore I think. It's simple now.

Soft.

THere's nothing that pisses me off more than soft offensive linemen.

8 games left to prove what they're made of.

As for the defense, we went up against a QB that I think will be in the NFL next year, probably not a starter, but he'll make a game day 53 man roster somewhere, and our LB"s and Safeties are still learning to play at an elite level in pass D.

Western Michigan, at 1-2 prior to the game, was a much better team than anyone gave them credit for, and we most certainly, after the Maryland game, as a team were guilty of eating the cheese - our former coach used to say "drinking the poison".

It's never as good as it seems, it's never as bad as it seems. THere is always a winner and a loser, and the winner is usually the team, that brings the most energy from the get go.

For those fans that don't understand what the mousetraps really mean...where the entire concept of a "trap" game comes from......read this littel news clip from 2005.

THis happened in Dallas, when the Cowboys were 6-3, and on top of the NFC East, into the second half of the season, and having to play a 4-5 Detroit Lions team, after a HUGE win on the road against Philly. That was a team that was learning how to win, and win regulary after winning only 5 games a year for 3 consecutive years.

Parcells classic line, somethin like - "I didn't want mice running under the secretaries and scaring them - we had a mouse problem"

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...G1PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XAQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3770,1384045

THat's all I"ve got to say on this.

I've got all kinds of family and other stuff going on this weekend, but I'm going to find a way to be in my seats, and cheer as loud as I can, and the stuff I read about "boycott"?

Those people aren't UCOnn fans, and fans calling for a coach to be fired at this point? Don't really know that they're looking at, and probably play a lot of video game football.

When you play the game soft, you're either soft, or dumb.

I want to see these guys start proving themselves, and no Buffalo is not a trap game. None of these players are eating any cheese about how good they are right now.

Reaction Score
It's not scheme on the OL, they weren't missing assignments like they were against NC State, these offensive linemen get run over and run around. These guys just aren't playing mean enough on the OL. I don't know what it is, somebody needs to stick a cattle prod up their asses, or beat them with a stick.

When I posted this media day photo I was admittedly worried. Each one of those guys could beat the snot out of me. But when you're 8 inches taller and a 150+ pounds heavier, that's a given. But that doesn't make them tough. Maybe it's me, but tough guys just don't do this stuff. This is what soft looks like to me. I'd expect to see 2 punters and a place kicker doing this. Not three O lineman.

Reaction Score
You sure you want to hear the explanation?

Yes, out of hope that there was a logical explanation or something. Our players shouldn't accept candy from strangers, or something like that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Let's be clear. The WMU game was NOT a Trap Game, let alone an energy trap game, whatever that is.

1) The first criteria of a trap game is that one team should be markedly better than the opponent "setting" the trap. 2) the game is played before or after a tough or rival opponent. 3) The team 3a) looks past an opponent preparing for the following week's game, or 3b) has a letdown after beating a tough or rival opponent.

Think back to Philosophy 102 (which was Logic back in 1997). These are not either/or criteria. If one premise fails the conclusion is not valid.

To Me, UConn does not meet the first criteria. However, if one insists on wearing National Flag Blue colored glasses, then I posit that neither Maryland, nor Buffalo, are neither a rivals, nor a tough opponents and do you really think the team was looking forward to Buffalo? Why? WMU is also not a rival opponent (merely 2 games, with no more on the horizon, between teams 800 miles apart does not a rivalry make). They lost to 2 mid-tier (at best) B1G teams, one soundly and one narrowly, which is evidence against toughness. And finally, UConn's Defense gave up 23 points while the offense in general had its best game of the season. Where is the letdown?

Reaction Score
It's not scheme on the OL, they weren't missing assignments like they were against NC State, these offensive linemen get run over and run around. These guys just aren't playing mean enough on the OL. I don't know what it is, somebody needs to stick a cattle prod up their asses, or beat them with a stick. The play calling, complexity of scheme isn't the issue anymore I think. It's simple now.

I also saw guys getting blown up, but there were plenty of times where guys missed their assignments. Look at the first sack of Whitmer. Friend lets the guy go right by him while double teaming the DT that Masters had blocked. I can't count the number of times guys didn't put a hand on a defender. That's not soft.

We have major problems on the line right now and if they're not dramatically improved it will be another 5 win season if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom