Trap game. | The Boneyard

Trap game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Every single one of you arm chair quarterbacks, madden offensive co-ordinators, and whatever the hell else, thought I was crazy.

We lost this game, for one reason, and one reason only. Energy trap game.

Offense? Bullsh(t. Wrong answer. The offense was firing fine today. Defense? Not dominant. Told y'all we were going against a senior QB, with a young pass defense in the middle of the field, and it would be tough. Special teams? Fine.

All of you searching for answers, coach sucks, coach is old, coach this that.........I grow tired of it. THe play calling is fine. THe x's and o's are designed fine. THe personnel is being set up to succeed.

We lost this game for one reason, and one reason only - ENERGY. FOCUS.

Going on the road, in consecutive weeks, with what happened last week, and what we were up against this week - if you want to find fault with the coaches (and I do) - it's in finding a way to get this travel squad fired up, bouncing off the walls, and razor sharp focused.

PUshing the right buttons, from the right people......to get the energy right.

That people - today - was the quintessential - trap game. On the road, empty stadium, nasty weather, delayed game......

ENERGY!!! IT's on the coaches to identify the players that are going to be the emotional leaders, and then push their buttons, and make sure those players are getting the entire team fired up.

On to Buffalo, and yet another attempt to begin to win consecutive games, and yes - my patience with this coaching staff is wearing thin, but for none of the reasons that all you are bitching and moaning about. A team that can't win a game like today, is not about game planning, and play calling - it's about motivation. And getting 80 guys motivated as a unit to the level it needed to be today, is what these coaches are making their salaries for, and it was a fail.

You are what your record says you are, and we've got 8 games left to change this thing, and start winning games more than we're losing.

Stil waiting to win two in a row. GOt to start again with Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Energy, focus, inability to sack QB like in previous games exposed a few leaks in pass coverage, drop passes, poor blocking, questionable play calling, wildcat, ankle tackles, dropped passes and a president and AD who aren't doing their jobs.

That's why we lost.

Reaction Score
... And the
Energy, focus, inability to sack QB like in previous games exposed a few leaks in pass coverage, drop passes, poor blocking, questionable play calling, wildcat, ankle tackles, dropped passes and a president and AD who aren't doing their jobs.

That's why we lost.

... And the game was delayed 34 minutes.

Reaction Score
Every single one of you arm chair quarterbacks, madden offensive co-ordinators, and whatever the hell else, thought I was crazy.

We lost this game, for one reason, and one reason only. Energy trap game.

Offense? Bullsh(t. Wrong answer. The offense was firing fine today. Defense? Not dominant. Told y'all we were going against a senior QB, with a young pass defense in the middle of the field, and it would be tough. Special teams? Fine.

All of you searching for answers, coach sucks, coach is old, coach this that.........I grow tired of it. THe play calling is fine. THe x's and o's are designed fine. THe personnel is being set up to succeed.

We lost this game for one reason, and one reason only - ENERGY. FOCUS.

Going on the road, in consecutive weeks, with what happened last week, and what we were up against this week - if you want to find fault with the coaches (and I do) - it's in finding a way to get this travel squad fired up, bouncing off the walls, and razor sharp focused.

PUshing the right buttons, from the right people......to get the energy right.

That people - today - was the quintessential - trap game. On the road, empty stadium, nasty weather, delayed game......

ENERGY!!! IT's on the coaches to identify the players that are going to be the emotional leaders, and then push their buttons, and make sure those players are getting the entire team fired up.

On to Buffalo, and yet another attempt to begin to win consecutive games, and yes - my patience with this coaching staff is wearing thin, but for none of the reasons that all you are bitching and moaning about. A team that can't win a game like today, is not about game planning, and play calling - it's about motivation. And getting 80 guys motivated as a unit to the level it needed to be today, is what these coaches are making their salaries for, and it was a fail.

You are what your record says you are, and we've got 8 games left to change this thing, and start winning games more than we're losing.

Stil waiting to win two in a row. GOt to start again with Buffalo.

Great post. The whole team, coaches and all fell into the trap.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Really blaming Herbst and Warde ?

It's sarcasm from another thread. But Carl, as much as energy counts for something, couldn't you also say it was the TO battle that really lost this game for us? That's a 14 point swing right there (one TD taken away from us and one TD given to them).

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't get blaming Herbie or Warde. Both are new on the job. But my guess is that the HC position will be on the agenda of their next meeting

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It wasn't a trap game. I don't even think you understand what a trap game is. (Add that to the pile, btw.)

Directional Michigan just happens to be better than we are. That's where we're at.

The talent is middling at best. Our HC is overmatched, our OC is wallpapering his house with plays no one wants and our DC spends most of the game posing like Atlas for all the weight on his shoulders.

This is a train wreck.

Energy trap game....for duck*'s sake, please stop talking.

Reaction Score
It's sarcasm from another thread. But Carl, as much as energy counts for something, couldn't you also say it was the TO battle that really lost this game for us? That's a 14 point swing right there (one TD taken away from us and one TD given to them).

No.

I've watched it now, twice, and if we were playing with anywhere near the intensity we played with last week, this game is no contest.

It's not easy to do though, and it's rare to find a group of players within a team that have the internal ability to motivate like that - and you really do need to play with that kind of fire we had last week, every week, to be a top 10 team in the country.

Motivation, and finding ways to motivate players, is what makes coaches great, and what makes talented teams into champions.

I think we're a talented team. But we're 2-2 right now.

Reaction Score
No.

I've watched it now, twice, and if we were playing with anywhere near the intensity we played with last week, this game is no contest.

It's not easy to do though, and it's rare to find a group of players within a team that have the internal ability to motivate like that - and you really do need to play with that kind of fire we had last week, every week, to be a top 10 team in the country.

Motivation, and finding ways to motivate players, is what makes coaches great, and what makes talented teams into champions.

I think we're a talented team. But we're 2-2 right now.
Carl...you're approaching Rutgersal territory

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't get blaming Herbie or Warde. Both are new on the job. But my guess is that the HC position will be on the agenda of their next meeting
Really blaming Herbst and Warde ?

It's called leadership accountability. Herbst has proved useless in solving an existential issue. Warde can't be blamed for anything other than being another wrong guy lacking the relationship or experience needed for a big time program.

This is very upsetting for you and others. But, if you want excellence, you got to set the standard there and stop making excuses. Get some heavy weights in here, and things would change. I'm sorry I am not on the Herbie and Manuel band wagon.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a trap game. I don't even think you understand what a trap game is. (Add that to the pile, btw.)

Directional Michigan just happens to be better than we are. That's where we're at.

The talent is middling at best. Our HC is overmatched, our OC is wallpapering his house with plays no one wants and our DC spends most of the game posing like Atlas for all the weight on his shoulders.

This is a train wreck.

I've paid attention to you for awhile, and I"ve come to the conclusion that you know jack about football, and that I've done more than enough to drive readers to your website.

Good bye.

Reaction Score
It's called leadership accountability. Herbst has proved useless in solving an existential issue. Warde can't be blamed for anything other than being another wrong guy lacking the relationship or experience needed for a big time program.

This is very upsetting for you and others. But, if you want excellence, you got to set the standard there and stop making excuses. Get some heavy weights in here, and things would change. I'm sorry I am not on the Herbie and Manuel band wagon.

I finally got it after 4 JWBs... BlueDog=Jeff Hathaway.

Reaction Score
Spell it along with me guys....S.A.R.C.A.S.M (on the Herbst and Warde inclusion)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

This is a train wreck.

Exactly. Mediocre and bad teams don't have trap games. Western Michigan was favored... underdogs don't fall into traps, they just get beat on the road.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a trap game. I don't even think you understand what a trap game is.

According to "Yahoo Answers" Carl does know the definition of a trap game. The D let down today (1 sack 17 -0 before we started playing), they lacked enthusiasm, it was a trap game. Blame goes to P for letting it happen. I'm sure he warned them, but he didn't do an effective job.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

A "Trap Game" is a game that is played before or after a tough or rival opponent. Teams have a tendency to look past an opponent preparing for the following week's game, or have a letdown after beating a tough or rival opponent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Western Michigan is so lucky they caught us looking forward to our tough or rival opponent, Buffalo.

Second year in a row that's happened...let's schedule them a third time next year, BUT, and this is huge, let's put off weeks before and after the game.

That way, we'll be sure to avoid any 'energy trap games'.

Reaction Score
Trap game -
"or have a letdown after beating a tough or rival opponent".

Reaction Score
'cliche, media talking point, cliche, subjective excuse with no way of proving, exclamation points, cap letters' -- Carl Spackler

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
'cliche, media talking point, cliche, subjective excuse with no way of proving, exclamation points, cap letters' -- Carl Spackler

You left out the constant contradictions.

Reaction Score
They were flat, simple as that. They beat themselves with too many mistakes. The interception early in the game. Totally on Whitmer. The play calling was fine. They marched down the field. Got close to the goal line and deflate...... interception. A missed field goal. Poor blocking on offense. Dropped passes. Missed tackle resulting in an easy TD for WMU. That I think was the nail in the coffin. They tried to comeback but each time a mistake. A dropped pass. QB fumbles and the other team brings it in for 6 where normally someone would have just fallen on it. Oh well... 4 down 8 to go. Bring on Buffalo!

GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
The players shouldn't have needed coaching to get emotionally worked up for this game, if that is what was lacking. The amount of dropped passes definitely were ridiculous. We "should" have won this game if some players, ahem, executed. But at least now we got to see Whitmer can throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom