Transfer thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Nice pickup for SMU! And LSU is lucky. Farhas has been average at best at LSU. The first 3 years, with other coaches' players, she won just over 20 games and made it to the sweet 16 twice in the NCAA's.

The past 2 years she's gone 17-14, and then 10-20 this past year. Her lone recruit this coming year is a 4-star kid ranked in the low 60's. The future isn't too bright unless she has some JUCO's or transfers I'm not aware of (or if her team was injured last year). Demoss is a known recruiter and can only help in bringing in talent. Problem is, coming from the Pat Summitt school of offense, LSU isn't exactly bringing in someone with new ideas...

I'm pretty sure one of LSU's top returning players from the previous year, Raigyne Moncrief, was out all season with an injury, and their top recruit, Ayanna Mitchell was also out with an injury. They also dismissed Danielle Ballard. They do have Chloe Jackson for this coming season, a transfer from NC State. Not sure what kind of freshmen season she had in '13.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure one of LSU's top returning players from the previous year, Raigyne Moncrief, was out all season with an injury, and their top recruit, Ayanna Mitchell was also out with an injury. They also dismissed Danielle Ballard. They do have Chloe Jackson for this coming season, a transfer from NC State. Not sure what kind of freshmen season she had in '13.

All correct.

Reaction Score
Add Gabby Green of Cal to the list of player transfers.
Mark this one down as another head scratcher for me. Gabby was highly recruited and was a starter from Day 1 at Cal.
Cal women's basketball guard Gabby Green to transfer
A good research paper for a sociology major: skype interview a hundred transfers and get the low down on why they are transferring. Not a new phenomenon, but one that appears to be accelerating sufficiently to reflect new reasons.

One possible reason may be the general overall lack of loyalty to institutions (partly because institutions have proved disloyal to individuals as well). Perhaps much harder to think about "team first" in the same way that people no longer have lifetime loyalty to businesses, institutions, etc.

Specific to the sport, a model for the transferring may be all the regional and national "show case" teams high schoolers participate in. These are formed through competition and then broken up and recombined through competition again. They may be conditioning players to be mobile based on competitive achievements and aspirations. And at the other end, professional athletes and professional sports teams show no loyalty to one another: it's always about immediate advantage.

And, while transferring is disruptive to teams and their coaches, players may actually see it as a positive. First, it often gives them an extra year of school if they chose (and that may mature them physically is they have professional b-ball aspirations). Second, the idea of experiencing two different coaching systems may be viewed as value-added. Sort of like taking more than one course on the same subject with different teachers. Different perspectives, more learning.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Add Gabby Green of Cal to the list of player transfers.
Mark this one down as another head scratcher for me. Gabby was highly recruited and was a starter from Day 1 at Cal.
Cal women's basketball guard Gabby Green to transfer
Gabby missed 5 games last season for an undisclosed reason, but it was NOT injury. So there was something happening behind the scenes that was not released to the public. Perhaps that had something to do with the transfer. Gabby (6'2" G) has also been pretty disappointing. She was a top 10 ranked player and despite getting ample opportunity to demonstrate that (35 minutes/game last season), she shot very poorly (29% FG, 23% 3FG, 47% FT), although she is very good defensively (5 reb/g, 2.5 steals/g) and had 5 assists/g.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A good research paper for a sociology major: skype interview a hundred transfers and get the low down on why they are transferring. Not a new phenomenon, but one that appears to be accelerating sufficiently to reflect new reasons.

One possible reason may be the general overall lack of loyalty to institutions (partly because institutions have proved disloyal to individuals as well). Perhaps much harder to think about "team first" in the same way that people no longer have lifetime loyalty to businesses, institutions, etc.

Specific to the sport, a model for the transferring may be all the regional and national "show case" teams high schoolers participate in. These are formed through competition and then broken up and recombined through competition again. They may be conditioning players to be mobile based on competitive achievements and aspirations. And at the other end, professional athletes and professional sports teams show no loyalty to one another: it's always about immediate advantage.

And, while transferring is disruptive to teams and their coaches, players may actually see it as a positive. First, it often gives them an extra year of school if they chose (and that may mature them physically is they have professional b-ball aspirations). Second, the idea of experiencing two different coaching systems may be viewed as value-added. Sort of like taking more than one course on the same subject with different teachers. Different perspectives, more learning.
Spot on everywhere. This hurricane of transfers and re-commits seems the new normal.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Alexis Jennings (Kentucky transfer) is going to South Carolina (LINK). I cannot BELIEVE that South Carolina keeps going after (and getting) all these transfers. Is it due to their shoddy recruiting? ;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Alexis Jennings (Kentucky transfer) is going to South Carolina (LINK). I cannot BELIEVE that South Carolina keeps going after (and getting) all these transfers. Is it due to their shoddy recruiting? ;)

Mitchell gave all of his players blanket releases, allowing them to go anywhere. I'm still surprised this actually happened though. I can get behind this one. Alexis always gave us a headache, she's tough (as most Kentucky players are) and scrappy. She can also do some things offensively that Alaina Coates hasn't shown she can do in a game. I like it. I like it a lot.

"I cannot BELIEVE that South Carolina keeps going after (and getting) all these transfers. Is it due to their shoddy recruiting? ;)"

I know you're kidding.. but before somebody else falls into the trap and actually runs away with this allow me to get ahead of them and remind them we had the #11 recruiting class (Hoopgurlz) this year. We're not tearing it up.. but we're not minced chicken meat either.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Mitchell gave all of his players blanket releases, allowing them to go anywhere. I'm still surprised this actually happened though. I can get behind this one. Alexis always gave us a headache, she's tough (as most Kentucky players are) and scrappy. She can also do some things offensively that Alaina Coates hasn't shown she can do in a game. I like it. I like it a lot.

"I cannot BELIEVE that South Carolina keeps going after (and getting) all these transfers. Is it due to their shoddy recruiting? ;)"

I know you're kidding.. but before somebody else falls into the trap and actually runs away with this allow me to get ahead of them and remind them we had the #11 recruiting class (Hoopgurlz) this year. We're not tearing it up.. but we're not minced chicken meat either.
I think there were more concerns about the Gamecocks' recruiting before the late commit by Tyasha Harris. In the previous year (2015), you only had Shay Colley (and she transferred) and in the 2016 class before Harris committed last month, you only had Bradshaw (33rd), Harrigan (72nd), and Patrick (unranked). Considering that you were a top 5 team, that seems like a meager haul. Getting Harris, a very good player at a position of need, really shored up your class.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think there were more concerns about the Gamecocks' recruiting before the late commit by Tyasha Harris. In the previous year (2015), you only had Shay Colley (and she transferred) and in the 2016 class before Harris committed last month, you only had Bradshaw (33rd), Harrigan (72nd), and Patrick (unranked). Considering that you were a top 5 team, that seems like a meager haul. Getting Harris, a very good player at a position of need, really shored up your class.

A loaded top 5 team... you have to continue winning at a high level in order to convince elite players to come in and ride the bench for a few years. SC doesn't have that pedigree yet. Very few teams do.. Notre Dame, Baylor, Duke and maybe Maryland. UCONN, for whatever reason, doesn't even bring in top 10 classes every year.. they typically have an off year or two wrapped around a few top 5 classes.

I will admit that 2015 was a huge head scratcher, even us fans were confused by the lack of recruits, but after examining our 2014 class (very strong post players) and the actual roster (lots of upperclassmen guards) it actually makes sense why SC had trouble convincing players to join. With that said.. SC was still in the running for several top 20 recruits. #9 Kyra Lambert chose Duke over SC, #12 Te'a Cooper chose Tennessee over SC, #17 Destinee Walker chose UNC over SC and #20 Beatrice Mompremier chose Baylor over others after being high on SC for most of her recruitment. Three of those players had SC in their final 2.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

What is "interesting" about this class -- at least to me -- is while SC added another Top 100 player, they essentially double dipped on point guards who were -- at least by HoopGurlz -- pretty closely rated. Coaches love competition for playing time, but lots of recruits seem to hit the door when it looks like PT is diminishing and/or going to be split. Quite candidly, I thought the jump from N/R to #11 was a bit steep and also makes me question the belief in the rankings of that 11-20 group. That said, I've read nothing but good things about Harris and Bradshaw had some interesting other suitors, ranging from ACC (Wake Forest) and the Big Ten (Maryland) to the Ivy League (Dartmouth and Columbia...must be good student). Maybe Dawn is finally turning her attention to her former PG self!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What is "interesting" about this class -- at least to me -- is while SC added another Top 100 player, they essentially double dipped on point guards who were -- at least by HoopGurlz -- pretty closely rated. Coaches love competition for playing time, but lots of recruits seem to hit the door when it looks like PT is diminishing and/or going to be split. Quite candidly, I thought the jump from N/R to #11 was a bit steep and also makes me question the belief in the rankings of that 11-20 group. That said, I've read nothing but good things about Harris and Bradshaw had some interesting other suitors, ranging from ACC (Wake Forest) and the Big Ten (Maryland) to the Ivy League (Dartmouth and Columbia...must be good student). Maybe Dawn is finally turning her attention to her former PG self!

If we're going by the numbers next to their names then with Bradshaw (97, a low 5star) and Harrigan (95, a high 4star) it's pretty safe to assume that prior to Harris joining the class that SC was in that 21-30 range. So the jump into the top 20 maybe wasn't too high of a leap.. you also have to remember that some players were reranked/evaluated. A few top 35 players were no longer top 35 and a few top 50 players were now top 35 players.

I like the multiple PG classes.. and Dawn has shown an affinity to play two PGs at once with the more offensive minded one playing off the ball and the more defensive minded one actually running point. Last year oftentimes we ran sets during games with Sessions (defensive) and Cuevas (offensive) both playing at the same time.. or earlier in the year Sessions (defensive) and Colley (offensive distributor). I can see the same thing happening with Bradshaw (defensive) and Harris (offensive).

Syracuse, for example runs an offense that uses multiple point guards... I remember doing research during our game versus them and at one point Hillsman had three point guards on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
If we're going by the numbers next to their names then with Bradshaw (97, a low 5star) and Harrigan (95, a high 4star) it's pretty safe to assume that prior to Harris joining the class that SC was in that 21-30 range. So the jump into the top 20 maybe wasn't too high of a leap.. you also have to remember that some players were reranked/evaluated. A few top 35 players were no longer top 35 and a few top 50 players were now top 35 players.

I like the multiple PG classes.. and Dawn has shown an affinity to play two PGs at once with the more offensive minded one playing off the ball and the more defensive minded one actually running point. Last year oftentimes we ran sets during games with Sessions (defensive) and Cuevas (offensive) both playing at the same time.. or earlier in the year Sessions (defensive) and Colley (offensive distributor). I can see the same thing happening with Bradshaw (defensive) and Harris (offensive).

Syracuse, for example runs an offense that uses multiple point guards... I remember doing research during our game versus them and at one point Hillsman had three point guards on the floor at the same time.

I believe that's because Syracuse's theory is to jack up as many 3s as possible.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Since Harris is transferring within the same conference does she have to sit two and lose a year of eligibility?
I know Mitchell has given blanket releases to all his kids, but I thought that rule was a specific conference rule regardless of release given by the coach. Anyone?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Playing Bradshaw and Cuevas together won't be a problem against over-matched opponents but will be against good-to-elite teams. Bradshaw is a poor shooter and, unless Cuevas significantly improves her perimeter shooting, that will be 2 players the defense won't have to guard on the perimeter. For Dawn to get the most out of Wilson and Coates she needs to surround them with perimeter players who can consistently make shots. Gray will help and time will tell with Davis.

Reaction Score
Since Harris is transferring within the same conference does she have to sit two and lose a year of eligibility?
I know Mitchell has given blanket releases to all his kids, but I thought that rule was a specific conference rule regardless of release given by the coach. Anyone?

great question, I was thinking the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman