Transfer thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This could be big. Although White gravitates to more of a face-up 4 game, Texas finally gets another elite player with size to complement their host of elite guards. It'll be interesting if White and Holmes (described as a point-forward despite her 6'3" height) can at least play more traditional roles for players with their size when it comes to rebounding and interior defense (I think roaming outside the paint when looking to score is less an issue). Texas still could use a outside shooter, but this definitely gives balance to their talented roster, which was always loaded but just a little bit skewed toward explosive, attacking guards.

Ironically, if this were the WNBA, South Carolina (where White departs from) could have almost made a trade as they, on the other hand, could have used one of Texas's great PG's to join Cuevas.

Reaction Score
I still want Ionescu to join Uconn, I'm greedy like that

Reaction Score
This could be big. Although White gravitates to more of a face-up 4 game, Texas finally gets another elite player with size to complement their host of elite guards. It'll be interesting if White and Holmes (described as a point-forward despite her 6'3" height) can at least play more traditional roles for players with their size when it comes to rebounding and interior defense (I think roaming outside the paint when looking to score is less an issue). Texas still could use a outside shooter, but this definitely gives balance to their talented roster, which was always loaded but just a little bit skewed toward explosive, attacking guards.

Texas needs a lot of help on the perimeter. They made just three 3s a game. And made 43% FG

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I still want Ionescu to join Uconn, I'm greedy like that

Hey, what up Doggie? I can completely understand your position on Ionescu. BUT, if you look at the number of guards already on UConn's roster, there's no room for her. She would really have to want to be a part of the culture, tradition and lore at UConn, and be coached and nurtured by one of the game's all-time winning-est coaches. She would not get a lot of playing time during her freshman year.

There are seven (7) guards currently on the 2016-2017 roster: Williams, Nurse, Lawlor, Chong, Ekmark, Bent and Dangerfield. Next year, we lose Lawlor & Chong as Andrea Espinosa-Hunter comes in.

Where would she fit in here? Too much competition at her position. Barring injury, I think we've got some guards that would keep her buried on the bench for most of the year. If she wants to play immediately, UConn is not the place for her to go.

Given her talent level, there may be a chance that Geno would bring her in if she expressed an interest to come. From my understanding, neither one is on the other's radar at this time. But, as they say, stranger things have happened.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Carnac,

In my opinion, Ionescu is better than four people on that list. She is not coming to UCONN but there is a spot for a player like Ionesco if she wanted to.

Reaction Score
Carnac,

In my opinion, Ionescu is better than four people on that list. She is not coming to UCONN but there is a spot for a player like Ionesco if she wanted to.

She still hasn't made up her mind? What gives?

Carnac

Reaction Score
She still hasn't made up her mind? What gives?

Who knows? There's no advantage to be gained at this point by continuing to wait on making a derision. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
3 in my opinion. Chong will be unleashed next season!

Elvis sung about her situation in 1960: "It's now or never". :cool:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Our friend Raoul on twitter weighs in on transfers and roster size .
Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 3.36.32 PM.png

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac,

I don't need an envelope to figure out which 4 you're referring to. Two thoughts here:
She's an incoming freshman. She must go through the indoctrination of WCBB, and she must catch up to the speed of the game at this level. No one knows how long this will take.
2. She's got to adjust to playing against players that are as good or better than she is, which the four you mentioned have already done. For Geno, she also has to prove she can stay in front of her man on defense.

She'd have to prove herself (stand way out) in practice for Geno to put her in a non-conference game before the 2 minute mark in the second half. UConn will be playing a lot of highly contested games with ranked opponents. Will she get a lot of playing time during these games to prove her mettle? I don't think so. I think all of this conjecture is a moot point. Word is Oregon and Cal are the only two schools on her short list. Why she continues to hold back on announcing her decision is anyone's guess. She's indicated that she wants to stay here on the in the geographical area of northern California (southern Oregon/Eugene). It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I'd be shocked (but be OK with it) if she dons a UConn uniform this season. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Who knows? There's no advantage to be gained at this point by continuing to wait on making a derision. :confused:

Correction - spelling error.....making a decision.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Per Brett McCormick (LINK), Jatari White to Texas, where she'll pair with Holmes. Karen Aston really stockpiling talent over there in Austin.

I don't get this to be honest. She is going from being a back up post player at South Carolina to potentially the same spot at Texas. Besides Joyner Holmes are the Vandebilt twins headed to Texas as well? That's a lot of post players. I guess Astin and Mulkey are gonna play 5 post offenses. I jest but....

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Yet Raoul fails to account for one of the reasons for the discrepancy in roster size and scholarships between women's basketball (15) and men's basketball (13) - the need to "make up" scholarships for Title IX compliance (and there is no female equivalent in terms of scholarships for football).​

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
MDoggie,

I hope you are right. I would like to see Chong completely healthy and on the floor for longer stretches of time than she has the past two years. It would keep Dangerfield from being pushed into a situation that she may or may not be ready for.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure with the reference to Uconn - before the transfers Uconn had 11 scholarships for 2017. They now have 13. With two offers outstanding. And that is the first time in 15 years if both offers are accepted that Uconn would have a full 15 scholarships used, and the first time that I can remember that they will be above 12 (not counting former walk-ons rewarded with yearly scholarships.)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I don't need an envelope to figure out which 4 you're referring to. Two thoughts here:
1. She's an incoming freshman. She must go through the indoctrination of WCBB, and she must catch up to the speed of the game at this level. No one knows how long this will take.
2. She's got to adjust to playing against players that are as good or better than she is, which the four you mentioned have already done. For Geno, she also has to prove she can stay in front of her man on defense.

She'd have to prove herself (stand way out) in practice for Geno to put her in a non-conference game before the 2 minute mark in the second half. UConn will be playing a lot of highly contested games with ranked opponents. Will she get a lot of playing time during these games to prove her mettle? I don't think so. I think all of this conjecture is a moot point. Word is Oregon and Cal are the only two schools on her short list. Why she continues to hold back on announcing her decision is anyone's guess. She's indicated that she wants to stay here on the in the geographical area of northern California (southern Oregon/Eugene). It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I'd be shocked (but be OK with it) if she dons a UConn uniform this season. :eek:
Sabrina has been down to Oregon and Washington for a while now. Cal was removed from her list before Oregon State was. Oregon has accepted her twin brother as a walk-on for the men's basketball team, and Washington entered the scene because it's rumored that the Huskies are hiring Sabrina's AAU coach Kelly Sopak. That would explain why Natalie Romero transferred there from Nebraska (LINK), and may give Washington the inside track to Evina Westbrook (both play or played for Cal Stars).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hey, what up Doggie? I can completely understand your position on Ionescu. BUT, if you look at the number of guards already on UConn's roster, there's no room for her. She would really have to want to be a part of the culture, tradition and lore at UConn, and be coached and nurtured by one of the game's all-time winning-est coaches. She would not get a lot of playing time during her freshman year.

There are seven (7) guards currently on the 2016-2017 roster: Williams, Nurse, Lawlor, Chong, Ekmark, Bent and Dangerfield. Next year, we lose Lawlor & Chong as Andrea Espinosa-Hunter comes in.

Where would she fit in here?
I disagree. Sabrina is class of 2016. We could use her this up coming season. For 2017 UCONN still has an outstanding offer to Mikayla Coombs G and of course Megan Walker G/W. Of course I would want Megan Walker & no disrespect to Coombs but I would rather have Sabrina in 2016.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure with the reference to Uconn - before the transfers Uconn had 11 scholarships for 2017. They now have 13. With two offers outstanding. And that is the first time in 15 years if both offers are accepted that Uconn would have a full 15 scholarships used, and the first time that I can remember that they will be above 12 (not counting former walk-ons rewarded with yearly scholarships.)
But that's Raoul's whole argument, yes? UConn never uses all their scholarships, and seldom goes above 12, but here they are, at 13 with 2 more offers out. Why? Because they accepted 2 transfers in the last month or so. Like he said, he's not picking on UConn, as Texas is actually at 15 already.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree with Raoul on this one. One and done is a reality for NCAA for men, so scholarship limit of 13 is fine because elite men's programs will always have a yearly opening if not more. This is something WCBB players are not impacted by so 15 is the right number.

Reaction Score
Yet Raoul fails to account for one of the reasons for the discrepancy in roster size and scholarships between women's basketball (15) and men's basketball (13) - the need to "make up" scholarships for Title IX compliance (and there is no female equivalent in terms of scholarships for football).​

Geno spoke out a while back about wcbb going to 13.
The female scholarship total is an issue but it also seems like bunch of schools are using partial scholarships for other sports like volleyball etc. The two extra
Scholarships could go to those sports.
But there also will be resistance from some women's advocates Who worry about ~ 600 fewer scholarships being available for female basketball players.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

The reference to UConn is not a good one if one is arguing for a rule change (i.e., limiting roster size) because, as you rightly point out, UConn is not a team that typically bumps up against the 15 scholly limit.

The argument appears to be that 15 scholarships allows better teams to hoard talent and thereby reduces parity in the women's game. I'm not convinced that's the case but it is surely worth looking at. It would be better to do an actual analysis with real data rather than anecdotal information on twitter. Plus, to the extent UConn's dominance is evidence of the lack of parity in the women's game it surely isn't because UConn hoards talent.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was rooting for Texas! Good for her.. I hope she gets healthy and does well there...

I was rooting for NC State.... would have been happy with VPI..... I dislike the U of Texas. Anyway.... hope she does well.... I always root for North Carolina kids.... unless they go to UNC..... or Maryland.... or Baylor.... or Tenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom