Transfer Portal - May 2023 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal - May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Newton returns, no.

Cam Spencer would be huge. He can play all 3 backcourt positions, finished the season with Rutgers' highest offensive rating (and 139th best nationally) and finished the season 23rd in FT% (89.4%) and 44th in 3P% (43.4%).

With Newton & Spencer, UConn can open the season with a starting lineup up Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan with Diarra, Ball, Ross/Roumoglou, Stewart and Johnson/Singare backing up each position respectively.

That's 12 spots right there.

With 8 underclassmen, it's still a young team, but I like its makeup.
Yeah Newton+Spencer we're a top 10 team, probably ranked top 5 (with a slight overrating).

Reaction Score

Looks like he will officially be a transfer now

Someone had said earlier that Burton's father had issues with UConn, and would never allow his son to matriculate here. Any truth to that rumor/statement?

Reaction Score
Someone had said earlier that Burton's father had issues with UConn, and would never allow his son to matriculate here. Any truth to that rumor/statement?
Where did you see that? I don't remember seeing anything like that. His dad played for Providence but that was all I saw posted about him

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If anyone is looking to kill 25 minutes, here's some highlights of Spencer:

He looks like a superb fit in kind of a super Joey role. Love the shooting, passing and defense. The FT shooting is idea. A veteran scoring PG with great FT shooting means he can be a closer. I don't think Diarra can. We need experience to close out games. With Newton, Spencer and Karaban we have reliable closers. Not sure if Castle will be or not.

If he's the only addition, we will need one or the two freshman forwards to step up at the 3. I still expect Johnson to be an impact player at the 4-5, but I don't know if Hurley wants to play Alex at the 3.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He looks like a superb fit in kind of a super Joey role. Love the shooting, passing and defense. The FT shooting is idea. A veteran scoring PG with great FT shooting means he can be a closer. I don't think Diarra can. We need experience to close out games. With Newton, Spencer and Karaban we have reliable closers. Not sure if Castle will be or not.

If he's the only addition, we will need one or the two freshman forwards to step up at the 3. I still expect Johnson to be an impact player at the 4-5, but I don't know if Hurley wants to play Alex at the 3.
I like Spencer and think if we got him he’d be in that lineup. But Castle is FOR SURE going to be in the closing group. The kid is a projected top 10 pick next year.

He’s going to be a huge part of our team as one of our highest rated recruits ever. We should pretty much think of Castle like Rudy Gay. Which might actually be a good comp with the situations they are walking into.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like Spencer and think if we got him he’d be in that lineup. But Castle is FOR SURE going to be in the closing group. The kid is a projected top 10 pick next year.

He’s going to be a huge part of our team as one of our highest rated recruits ever. We should pretty much think of Castle like Rudy Gay. Which might actually be a good comp with the situations they are walking into.
Oh I have no doubt. That said, trusting freshmen late in games is something that costs a lot of teams games. No matter how good they are, they haven't been there and done that. So if he's going to be out there like we both think, I want to surround him with savvy vets.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Oh I have no doubt. That said, trusting freshmen late in games is something that costs a lot of teams games. No matter how good they are, they haven't been there and done that. So if he's going to be out there like we both think, I want to surround him with savvy vets.
I get your point at most schools, but this is UConn! We different over here lol

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nova has clearly decided they are not going to settle for being a mediocre program and are really going after it in the portal.
Not sure it will make a difference if Neptune is still there.

Reaction Score
Yeah Newton+Spencer we're a top 10 team, probably ranked top 5 (with a slight overrating).
Plus, while I have the utmost faith in our non Castle freshman, this would allow for them to not be thrown into the fire directly.

Letting them develop at their own pace will help us in the subsequent years as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom