Transfer Portal - May 2023 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal - May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s funny how people this Georgetown is an upgrade. I’ve lived in the area for 25 years. Nobody cares about Georgetown basketball. I’ve been to a bunch of their games even when they were good and interest was tepid. It’s all about Maryland basketball. Maybe Cooley can turn it around but I doubt it. but no one should respect the way he did it and gave up on his players. Ultimately I think it worked out for Providence. Kim English is killing it
They still have great history, notable alumni, a better academic institution, that’s also in a recruiting hotbed and a national program. It’s for sure an upgrade over providence. They’ll also receive huge national coverage just for being a top 25 team with, again, all the talent in the dmv at his disposal to draw. A lot easier ask to get guys to come to DC than to ask them to live in Providence. Lol

Nobody cared about Providence until Cooley made them somewhat relevant. Georgetown and St John’s being good will help the conference credibility wise a lot more and would be great for us as far as prominent OBE rivals so I’m hoping they do well.

Idc to have a rivalry with a school who’s best player is Ryan Gomes tbh. Providence is a little brother more than anything else.

Reaction Score

Significant update. We’re in the top 3 with Spencer

My brother who is a die-hard Michigan CBB fan and is very tuned into the transfer scene texted me this morning "UConn really gonna get cam spencer guys" so I'll take that even though this Twitter account most likely means nothing.

Reaction Score
So if Cam Spencer comes to UConn and one of the current players exploring the draft process we’re to return, do we feel like we’d still need one more piece in the portal? I’d think so. If so, with what skill set? A front line rebounding type with size?

Reaction Score
My brother who is a die-hard Michigan CBB fan and is very tuned into the transfer scene texted me this morning "UConn really gonna get cam spencer guys" so I'll take that even though this Twitter account most likely means nothing.
This Twitter account means a lot…that being said, just means we’re in the top 3.

Reaction Score
So if Cam Spencer comes to UConn and one of the current players exploring the draft process we’re to return, do we feel like we’d still need one more piece in the portal? I’d think so. If so, with what skill set? A front line rebounding type with size?
How we feel isn't really relevant, Dan Hurley said we'll go into next season with 11-12 players so I doubt we'd bring in anyone else

Reaction Score
How we feel isn't really relevant, Dan Hurley said we'll go into next season with 11-12 players so I doubt we'd bring in anyone else
I wonder if a reclassify player might be an option where a player could enroll and practice like a semester early similar to Karaban.

Reaction Score
I wonder if a reclassify player might be an option where a player could enroll and practice like a semester early similar to Karaban.
I could see that happening mid-year like Karaban. Not really sure who has that option we're currently recruiting, but I'm always a fan of going that route

Reaction Score
Yeah we scrambled and took the two international kids last minute last year. I think Hurley was concerned we wouldn't have enough guys to practice 5 v 5 with injuries, etc., but I also think Andrew Hurley and Andre Johnson are good enough players where they aren't too much of a liability from a practice perspective if need be.

My guess is we'll end up with 12 guys...but I'd think 13 is more like than 11.

Reaction Score
I see Spencer only played 5 games sophomore year. Does he have 2 years of eligibility left?

Reaction Score
I see Spencer only played 5 games sophomore year. Does he have 2 years of eligibility left?
That's the COVID year. Since both the COVID year and his redshirt apply specifically to the 2021 season, he can't count it twice. So only 1 year left.

Reaction Score
Veru good fit, and he's a solid defender by the #s.
His defensive RAPM is surprisingly good, but some of that is Rutgers just being a really good D (Cliff O and Caleb McConnell were underrated nationally as really good defenders last year). He had the worst numbers of the starters, but your weak link isn't likely that weak if you're a top 10 defense. There's proof of concept that even if he was our worst defender, we can have an elite D anchored by Clingan.

Reaction Score
If Newton returns, no.

Cam Spencer would be huge. He can play all 3 backcourt positions, finished the season with Rutgers' highest offensive rating (and 139th best nationally) and finished the season 23rd in FT% (89.4%) and 44th in 3P% (43.4%).

With Newton & Spencer, UConn can open the season with a starting lineup up Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan with Diarra, Ball, Ross/Roumoglou, Stewart and Johnson/Singare backing up each position, respectively.

That's 12 spots right there.

With 8 underclassmen, it's still a young team, but I like its makeup.

However, for Championship #6, I do see the argument of adding a player at the caliber of Jones/Burton, even if that means one of Stewart/Ross plays very limited minutes, if at all....however, right now, I do not subscribe to that desire to add that type of player since I want to see which of those two freshmen will step up in a backup role.

Reaction Score
His defensive RAPM is surprisingly good, but some of that is Rutgers just being a really good D (Cliff O and Caleb McConnell were underrated nationally as really good defenders last year). He had the worst numbers of the starters, but your weak link isn't likely that weak if you're a top 10 defense. There's proof of concept that even if he was our worst defender, we can have an elite D anchored by Clingan.

Our staff can turn just about anyone into a decent defender. No concerns at all from me

MJ1

Reaction Score
I have news for you, it’s not about Maryland either. 1 sweet sixteen in the last 15 years. The best players in the DMV have been going to Villanova in that time span. Maryland could not take advantage of Georgetown being down in the Ewing era, not sure Willard is any better than Cooley. Let’s compare Georgetown and Maryland in 5 years.

Reaction Score
If Newton returns, no.

Cam Spencer would be huge. He can play all 3 backcourt positions, finished the season with Rutgers' highest offensive rating (and 139th best nationally) and finished the season 23rd in FT% (89.4%) and 44th in 3P% (43.4%).

With Newton & Spencer, UConn can open the season with a starting lineup up Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan with Diarra, Ball, Ross/Roumoglou, Stewart and Johnson/Singare backing up each position respectively.

That's 12 spots right there.

With 8 underclassmen, it's still a young team, but I like its makeup.
I like Spencer a lot especially with his three point and free throw shooting. He gets steals. If Newton returns and we get Spencer, IMO we are loaded 1-3. I wouldn’t mind another depth piece at the 4/5 that is a rebounder and defender. A role player that could provide maybe 8-10 minutes a game. But I think we’d be pretty well set with Spencer and Newton, agreed.

Reaction Score
His steal numbers are impressive both at Rutgers and Loyola MD.

Reaction Score
Spencer also has typically put up better than 2:1 assist to turnover ratios, which would be another plus. He generates turnovers and doesn’t turn it over himself much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom