Transfer Portal - May 2023 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal - May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched Burton a lot over the last few years (I live near Richmond). He's very athletic and rebounds at a high clip. Good driving game and gets to the line a lot. Solid defender, and good but not great shooter. A very high arching shot. He is the perfect role player on a good team (his senior laden team at UR made that run to the NCAA tournament and defeated Keegan Murray's Iowa team in 2022). He was asked to do more with high usage at UR this past season, and defenses were entirely focused on him--hence the somewhat lower 3 point percentage.

He definitely has the skills and ability to play a significant role on a Power Conference team (if not pro league next year).

Family connection to the northeast.

He can play a bit of the 2, but is primarily a 3 or even a small 4.

I'd love to add him or Jones. Not both.

Reaction Score
David Jones situation. Pick whichever one
Kinda.

Similarities for sure. To keep it simple, both are exciting small forwards who can help a lot of ways. Jones is the better passer/vision guy while Burton is better at getting at the rim, but to be honest might call that a wash since Jones faces more talented Ds in the BE.

I’d be excited for either player, but Burton will have more interest since he doesn’t need a waiver.

Reaction Score
He went to Marianapolis but grew up in Uxbridge.

I don't think he technically "grew up in" Uxbridge though.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the NBA draft his age is a bad thing, But it's a very good for his college basketball prospects.

Dingle plus Soriano plus Pitino is probably pretty close to a tourney team right there. Jenkins helps with the continuity of the offense.

They need 1 wing to step up to make sure.
That's only three players, you need five,plus a few to come off the bench.

Also, I'm pretty sure Pitino used all of his eligibility in the early 1970's.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I watched Burton a lot over the last few years (I live near Richmond). He's very athletic and rebounds at a high clip. Good driving game and gets to the line a lot. Solid defender, and good but not great shooter. A very high arching shot. He is the perfect role player on a good team (his senior laden team at UR made that run to the NCAA tournament and defeated Keegan Murray's Iowa team in 2022). He was asked to do more with high usage at UR this past season, and defenses were entirely focused on him--hence the somewhat lower 3 point percentage.

He definitely has the skills and ability to play a significant role on a Power Conference team (if not pro league next year).

Family connection to the northeast.

He can play a bit of the 2, but is primarily a 3 or even a small 4.

I'd love to add him or Jones. Not both.
think his dad played for Providence .... beware the Friar

Reaction Score
Huh? He's stupid for wanting to go make money and play professional basketball after 4 years of college?
Think he meant entering your name in the portal but saying don't contact me.

Reaction Score
Think he meant entering your name in the portal but saying don't contact me.
That usually means he is a lock for a certain school or doesn't want to be overwhelmed with contacts and has a short list already finalized.

Reaction Score
I thought this was very obvious. But yes, this is what I meant. @navery12
Fair enough. Gotta be honest though, I think that's a really dumb take. I guess I could kind of see it for the players who choose that option when they've been tampered with and go with the do not contact option in the portal. But is it really that crazy that a kid wants to go through the NBA Draft process without colleges reaching out the whole time?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Fair enough. Gotta be honest though, I think that's a really dumb take. I guess I could kind of see it for the players who choose that option when they've been tampered with and go with the do not contact option in the portal. But is it really that crazy that a kid wants to go through the NBA Draft process without colleges reaching out the whole time?
He literally put himself in the position of garnering attention by entering the portal. If you think the rumors are true, coaches aren’t adhering to his request. And if you’re supposedly almost set on going pro anyways, why wouldn’t you wait until after the deadline to enter the portal if you do end up coming back?

Reaction Score
He literally put himself in the position of garnering attention by entering the portal. If you think the rumors are true, coaches aren’t adhering to his request. And if you’re supposedly almost set on going pro anyways, why wouldn’t you wait until after the deadline to enter the portal if you do end up coming back?
Because the deadline to enter the portal is May 11 and the deadline to remove yourself from the NBA Draft is May 31. So players literally needed to enter the portal before their decisions are made to keep their options open

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Because the deadline to enter the portal is May 11 and the deadline to remove yourself from the NBA Draft is May 31. So players literally needed to enter the portal before their decisions are made to keep their options open
If I’m not mistaken, he’s a grad transfer.

Reaction Score
If I’m not mistaken, he’s a grad transfer.
He is, so would have been eligible regardless. Just think it's a really strange line to draw when it's a very common practice

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He is, so would have been eligible regardless. Just think it's a really strange line to draw when it's a very common practice
Really my original point is that it’s stupid, which I don’t think has been refuted. Obviously if the staff vetted him, I’d be all for whatever decision they make.

Reaction Score
Really my original point is that it’s stupid, which I don’t think has been refuted. Obviously if the staff vetted him, I’d be all for whatever decision they make.
He is going through the draft process and entered so teams can contact him when he finishes. It’s smart to enter a little before he wanted to get contacted so teams can do their research. I think it’s a smart way of doing it.

Reaction Score
I think this board is severely underrating the kind of love Cooley would get on a national and local level at a school like Georgetown if he had success compared to Providence.

Nobody cares about Providence being good, everybody cares about Georgetown being good. Him leaving Providence for Georgetown, hometown hero or not, was 100% the right move.

While he may have been a hometown hero at Providence, he gets to carry on a tradition of black coaches at Georgetown in an area that’s known for its diversity. The off the court reasons are just as good for him to want to be at Georgetown.
It’s funny how people this Georgetown is an upgrade. I’ve lived in the area for 25 years. Nobody cares about Georgetown basketball. I’ve been to a bunch of their games even when they were good and interest was tepid. It’s all about Maryland basketball. Maybe Cooley can turn it around but I doubt it. but no one should respect the way he did it and gave up on his players. Ultimately I think it worked out for Providence. Kim English is killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom