Top JUCO signs with Kentucky | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top JUCO signs with Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's obvious to me that Pat Summitt was the main factor in attracting recruits. The kids today don't know her the way the old timers do. She is no longer a factor given current recruits were quite young when Pat got sick. These kids probably don't even know Michael Jackson.

Currently, what is apparent to recruits is the TN coaching staff's lack of charisma. Neither Holly or Dean Lockwood present themselves well in the public media. Fan support is high but declining. There is little else Tenn presents as a University to attract recruits. Not a great campus or academics. Hot humid climate. No big cities nearby.

The coming season will be make or break for the program. Diamond and Mercedes will have to perform wonders to enable the Vols to make a comeback. Both of these players have been a disappointment. Diamond initially rejected TN and thus lost a year. Mercedes also had a wasted freshman year. This will be the last chance to escape oblivion. Perhaps it can be done, but it's far from certain.

I had to chuckle about the hot, humid climate. Do you know how many students come to USC to get away from the cold? Columbia is a little warmer than Knoxville during the summer, but probably slightly less humid. Not to defend UT, but Knoxville isn't all that far from Atlanta or Nashville when you want to visit a bigger city.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had to chuckle about the hot, humid climate. Do you know how many students come to USC to get away from the cold? Columbia is a little warmer than Knoxville during the summer, but probably slightly less humid. Not to defend UT, but Knoxville isn't all that far from Atlanta or Nashville when you want to visit a bigger city.

No way on God's green earth is Columbia less humid than Knoxville...... and you say Columbia is a little warmer than Knoxville? From what the meterologists in my area say... Columbia is a little warmer than Hell :p

My only time Ive ever spent in Knoxville was at the 1982 World's Fair.... but east TN is a beautiful part of the country...... and while its not my cup of tea..... there are worst places to spend 4 years in college. Not really sure how many hs girl bb players choose their school based on weather and campus beauty.......

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
No way on God's green earth is Columbia less humid than Knoxville. and you say Columbia is a little warmer than Knoxville? From what the meterologists in my area say... Columbia is a little warmer than Hell :p

My only time Ive ever spent in Knoxville was at the 1982 World's Fair.... but east TN is a beautiful part of the country. and while its not my cup of tea..... there are worst places to spend 4 years in college. Not really sure how many hs girl bb players choose their school based on weather and campus beauty..

It's funny that you mention the 1982 world's fair in knoxville. I grew up a little south of Knoxville and was 6 at the time of the fair. I remember the commercials for it and was fascinated and begged my parents to take me. Did you enjoy it? I've heard people either loved it or hated it..the Japanese pavilion was supposedly worth the long lines..

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No way on God's green earth is Columbia less humid than Knoxville. and you say Columbia is a little warmer than Knoxville? From what the meterologists in my area say... Columbia is a little warmer than Hell

It's funny you say this.. I run into people all of the time that didn't go to USC or have never lived in Columbia.. and the first thing they talk about once I tell them that I graduated from USC is how hot and miserable the summers in Columbia are. I had no idea that Columbia had that reputation. For the most part, I agree... summers in Columbia are not for the weak.. they almost seem tropical. The weather is the same everyday... it rains from noon to 2pm.. then it gets insanely humid and hot.. then it rains some more that evening from 5-8pm.. then evenings are pretty nice. Columbia is always 5 to 10 degrees hotter than the cities around it.. Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston, Atlanta...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Currently, what is apparent to recruits is the TN coaching staff's lack of charisma. Neither Holly or Dean Lockwood present themselves well in the public media. Fan support is high but declining. There is little else Tenn presents as a University to attract recruits. Not a great campus or academics. Hot humid climate. No big cities nearby.
The coming season will be make or break for the program. Diamond and Mercedes will have to perform wonders to enable the Vols to make a comeback. Both of these players have been a disappointment. Diamond initially rejected TN and thus lost a year. Mercedes also had a wasted freshman year. This will be the last chance to escape oblivion. Perhaps it can be done, but it's far from certain.
I don't see how "Charisma" or lack of it for recruiting play itself out in the public media. The public media is not allowed to be present in an in home visits or visits by a recruit to campus. I 'm not sure how we can evaluate Holly as lacking charisma in those settings. Holly did convince a couple of #1 to come to Tenn. in DD and Russell. She initially lost out on DD but so did UCONN and yet no one would accuse Geno of lacking "charisma".
Humidity is not much of a factor during basketball season in Tenn. but a New England snow storm definitely might be.
Tennessee regularly leads the nation in attendance for about 28 straight years now. Attendance across WCBB is trending down not just at Tenn. More important than the overall trend is the trend when a university fields a NC caliber team. For Tenn. that last happened in 2008 when it set a NCAA record of over 15K average. Since then no other university has come within 5K of that record. I sure hope Tenn. doesn't fall into oblivion-that would be very bad for WCBB because we would have lost our lead dog ( pun intended) in attendance.

Reaction Score
The NFOY was a disappointment? How can you even back that statement up?

You haven't seen what Mercedes can do. No one has. It's unfair to say her freshman year was a waste when she was playing on two bad feet the entire season. If this season is the same as her freshman year, I would agree with you.

This whole post seem like a blue tinted view of reality.

Wasted was a bit over-stated but if she played the year on injured feet, something that wasn't mentioned until after the season was over, one could say she should have red-shirted then and still had 4 years to play with healthy feet. Mercedes averaged 6 ptss/gm & 5 rbs/gm & had an o.5 A/TO ratio in 18 min/gm, hardly NPOY stats. Injured or not, still disappointing when you go back and read how she was going to dunk Tenn back into the FF prior to the 2014 season.

Reaction Score
Yes because two Elite 8's, one Sweet 16, 2 regular season SEC Championships and one SEC Tourney Championship is definitely oblivion. Everyone knows we def are not close to UCONN level recently (but really...who else has been?!?!) but IMHO it's a stretch to say we're headed into oblivion.

It may not be polite to say this but compared to winning 5 of the last 7 NCAA titles and 8 straight FF's, the accomplishments of the LV's over the last 7 years does look a little like oblivion to a UConn fan. It's an eye of the beholder thing. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's funny that you mention the 1982 world's fair in knoxville. I grew up a little south of Knoxville and was 6 at the time of the fair. I remember the commercials for it and was fascinated and begged my parents to take me. Did you enjoy it? I've heard people either loved it or hated it..the Japanese pavilion was supposedly worth the long lines..

I enjoyed it..... Not sure if I went to the Japanese pavilion. I do remember going to the Australian pavilion...... and I remember they had a slideshow that for a brief second showed a topless female on an Aussie beach :eek: I think i stayed and watched that slideshow twice :cool: Part of the fair went beside Neyland stadium.... and I remember being awestruck at the size of the exterior.

It's funny you say this.. I run into people all of the time that didn't go to USC or have never lived in Columbia.. and the first thing they talk about once I tell them that I graduated from USC is how hot and miserable the summers in Columbia are. I had no idea that Columbia had that reputation. For the most part, I agree... summers in Columbia are not for the weak.. they almost seem tropical. The weather is the same everyday... it rains from noon to 2pm.. then it gets insanely humid and hot.. then it rains some more that evening from 5-8pm.. then evenings are pretty nice. Columbia is always 5 to 10 degrees hotter than the cities around it.. Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston, Atlanta...

During the forecasts..... one station always shows the regional temps..... across the state and into VA and SC. Even when its hot here.... say 94-95 degrees or more... they always point down to the south and say..... at least we dont have it as bad as Columbia. Ive noticed in the past few weeks.... they run a visit Columbia commercial on local TV.... The Southern Hot Spot ... or something like that.

Reaction Score
It's obvious to me that Pat Summitt was the main factor in attracting recruits. The kids today don't know her the way the old timers do. She is no longer a factor given current recruits were quite young when Pat got sick. These kids probably don't even know Michael Jackson.

Our campus is not bad, and is improving, as are the academics. That said, it's not like we are some academic slouch to start with. In reference to "little else," we have the best comprehensive tradition in women's basketball, the most tournament appearances, the most final fours, the most wins, the most SEC titles, and the second most National Titles, the best facilities in women's basketball, and the best fan support in women's basketball. South Carolina winning attendance one year does not remove us from the top. Playing at UT means playing for something bigger than yourself. It means representing the entire Lady Vol tradition. It's pressure, but the great ones thrive under that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Our campus is not bad, and is improving, as are the academics. That said, it's not like we are some academic slouch to start with. In reference to "little else," we have the best comprehensive tradition in women's basketball, the most tournament appearances, the most final fours, the most wins, the most SEC titles, and the second most National Titles, the best facilities in women's basketball, and the best fan support in women's basketball. South Carolina winning attendance one year does not remove us from the top. Playing at UT means playing for something bigger than yourself. It means representing the entire Lady Vol tradition. It's pressure, but the great ones thrive under that.

Define facilities please.

Reaction Score
Define facilities please.
Thompson-Boling Arena is a premier basketball arena. Add to that Pratt Pavilion, which is pretty new, and again, a top of the line practice facility. They also get full access to the recently finished Anderson Training Facility. The football component rivals, and bests, most NFL facilities, but also includes weight training, dining, and other amenities that all athletes have access to. Besides this, it's the things like locker rooms (which are soon to be renovated again) that are top of the line because of the priority women's basketball gets at Tennessee, combined with the football revenue of a top attendance SEC School.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Better hope Geno coaches forever...... we might be saying the same thing about UCONN in 6-10 years

. Fan support is high but declining. There is little else Tenn presents as a University to attract recruits. Not a great campus or academics. Hot humid climate. No big cities nearby.

If you look at where the top players come from..... the most of them are from Illinois, the Sunbelt and California. After Geno retires... what else can UCONN present to recruits to make them leave their region and play in the northeastern part of the Country?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
After Geno retires... what else can UCONN present to recruits to make them leave their region and play in the northeastern part of the Country?

Tennessee still recruits extremely well. Other than generally warmer weather what do they have to present? Obviously, the draw of playing for a legendary program helps. If Geno is succeeded by someone who is familiar with his coaching style and techniques it's quite possible the drop-off will be slight.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
No way on God's green earth is Columbia less humid than Knoxville. and you say Columbia is a little warmer than Knoxville? From what the meterologists in my area say... Columbia is a little warmer than Hell :p

My only time Ive ever spent in Knoxville was at the 1982 World's Fair.... but east TN is a beautiful part of the country. and while its not my cup of tea..... there are worst places to spend 4 years in college. Not really sure how many hs girl bb players choose their school based on weather and campus beauty..

There are many places more miserable than Columbia during the summer. Here is a link to average high temperatures and average afternoon humidity compared between Columbia and Knoxville. In July the average high is about 4 degrees higher, but the average afternoon humidity is about 2% lower.

http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66CC;T:000000;GFNT:666666;GIMP:666666;FORID:9

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Look at the link I posted below. It is not 5 to 10 degrees hotter in Columbia compared to Charlotte, Greenville or Atlanta. The average July high in Columbia is 3 degrees warmer than Charlotte.

http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/index.php?cities[]=CHARLOTTE,NC&cities[]=COLUMBIA,SC&compare[]=2&compare[]=7&sa=Compare+Cities!&cx=partner-pub-0271172053863578:3880711149&ie=UTF-8&q="CHARLOTTE,+NC"+"COLUMBIA,+SC"+&cof=GALT:#0066CC;GL:1;DIV:#999999;VLC:336633;AH:center;BGC:FFFFFF;LBGC:FF9900;ALC:0066CC;LC:0066CC;T:000000;GFNT:666666;GIMP:666666;FORID:9

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There are many places more miserable than Columbia during the summer. Here is a link to average high temperatures and average afternoon humidity compared between Columbia and Knoxville. In July the average high is about 4 degrees higher, but the average afternoon humidity is about 2% lower.

http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/index.php?cities[]=COLUMBIA,SC&cities[]=KNOXVILLE,TN&compare[]=2&compare[]=7&sa=Compare+Cities!&cx=partner-pub-0271172053863578:3880711149&ie=UTF-8&q="COLUMBIA,+SC"+"KNOXVILLE,+TN"+&cof=GALT:#0066CC;GL:1;DIV:#999999;VLC:336633;AH:center;BGC:FFFFFF;LBGC:FF9900;ALC:0066CC;LC:0066CC;T:000000;GFNT:666666;GIMP:666666;FORID:9

Not many places in the Carolinas more miserable than Columbia in the summer. I'd take Columbia any summer over Houston though.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Not many places in the Carolinas more miserable than Columbia in the summer. I'd take Columbia any summer over Houston though.

Houston is the most miserable place on the face of the earth during the summer. I freely admit it is hot in Columbia, but I flew into Houston one July and the combination of heat and humidity almost knocked me over when I left the airport.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I was obviously exaggerating.. but nice research. I've lived in Columbia for 5 years and stayed around for many summers. A chart with average temperatures is nice... but I know what I feel when I walk out of the house or what I see when I look at a weather map. Not a knock on Columbia, I love columbia.. but the summers there are miserable. It's a Deep South summer on steroids.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As opposed to an Outdoor Practice Facility??? :confused:

Haha, sorry I was in a football state of mind. I was concurrently posting about our new indoor practice facility for football on another message board. Good one. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Haha, sorry I was in a football state of mind. I was concurrently posting about our new indoor practice facility for football on another message board. Good one. :cool:
Ok was wondering. Some of you in other threads had been talking about the great weather down there, but I didn't think it was that good.

Reaction Score
Yes because two Elite 8's, one Sweet 16, 2 regular season SEC Championships and one SEC Tourney Championship is definitely oblivion. Everyone knows we def are not close to UCONN level recently (but really...who else has been?!?!) but IMHO it's a stretch to say we're headed into oblivion.
Just going by what I've read on Volnation, where most are complaining. But, if you're happy I'm fine with that.
Just curious. do you think UCONN has a great campus ? I think this could be a OT thread.... favorite/least college campuses.. About the climate. if you look at top recruits..... alot of them were born and raised in hot and humid climates. so cant see that being a factor at all.
If you google worst college campuses, you'll find Tennessee makes all the lists, but UConn doesn't. However, I wouldn't mind moving Duke's campus to Storrs.
Er, none? But I was talking about TN, not Columbia. Aren't Atlanta & Nashville about 200 miles away from Kville? Hardly an after dinner jaunt. Besides those cities can't compare with New York or Boston.
I don't see how "Charisma" or lack of it for recruiting play itself out in the public media.
Did you ever see Holly or Dean speak in public? They look as uncomfortable as Paris Hilton in a homeless shelter.
.. we have the best facilities in women's basketball,..
I agree, your rest rooms are the greatest!
Thompson-Boling Arena is a premier...
I shot a 200 game once and made a 7 - 10 split!!
If you look at where the top players come from..... the most of them are from Illinois, the Sunbelt and California. After Geno retires... what else can UCONN present to recruits to make them leave their region and play in the northeastern part of the Country?
Skiing.

Happy off season everybody, from Connecticut, where it's 75 degrees and low humidity.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did you ever see Holly or Dean speak in public? They look as uncomfortable as Paris Hilton in a homeless shelter.

Can't say I have seen them speak in public they are probably awful. Bad public speaker is not the same as bad recruiter IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom