Top JUCO signs with Kentucky | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top JUCO signs with Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I don't pay there either, but losing Hansen did hurt. From my viewings, it seems like ProspectsNation is the least biased of any recruiting service.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To the delight of UCONN fans, Tennessee is scarily thin in the post and doesn't seem to have a viable backup plan outside of Russell for the next 1-2 years.
They might have DeShields help in the post and play 4, ala how UCONN used Maya back in 2009 and 2010, since DeShields can compete inside and grab rebounds, but they do not have a true post outside of Russell who has been injury prone, but oozes untapped potential.

Graves has had moments of All American level play, but she isn't a banger inside nor does she have the bulk to defend posts like Alaina Coates or Brionna Jones.

She leaves after this upcoming season, and then it's a crap shoot. I'm guessing Tennessee will land a transfer or a JUCO next off season, but they really really need to land a quality post player to alleviate Russell, who I will be happy to get 25 minutes per game from next year.

As much as most UT fans hate to admit, losing out on this prospect really bites. We'll see how she transitions to the D1 level, but from articles and speculation, she has the makings of being a really really good player who might have been a top recruit had she played high school ball in the states. Great athlete with a knack for rebounding and blocking shots. Exactly what Tennessee could use next year, and she slipped through their fingers. Perhaps even tougher for Tennessee is that they missed out on Dangerfield, who is the top recruit to come out of Tennessee since possibly Glory Johnson, and they miss out on another top 15 in state recruit in Carter.

Tennessee has a ton of talent for the next 2-3 years with DeShields and Russell (if healthy), 2 starting guards on board for the next two years, not to mention a promising freshman in Nard, and a very good incoming PG in Cooper, but with a relatively underwhelming 2014 recruiting class, only one premier recruit in 2015 and no one on board for 2016, it's a bit concerning for UT fans about the future post-Diamond DeShields.
Bballnut,very complimentary post of many of Lady Vols players. As a UCONN fan I am having a hard time generating any "delight" from this specific non-signing or the Lady Vols situation in general. There is no UCONN vs. Lady Vols game on the horizon. Sure the two teams might stumble into each other in the tournament but that will be by accident not the result of planning. Lady Vols current lack of depth is the result of an injury to Russell- I find no glee in that. There is no indication from any thing that I have read that Dangerfield considered the Lady Vols seriously so there is no glee there either. Happy as hell she is coming to UCONN but she could be from Mars, Pa for all I care.
I understand the sentiment that anything bad for Lady Vols is good for UCONN and potential cause for celebration- this JUCO non-signing= non-UCONN impact IMO.

Reaction Score
To the delight of UCONN fans, Tennessee is scarily thin in the post and doesn't seem to have a viable backup plan outside of Russell for the next 1-2 years.
They might have DeShields help in the post and play 4, ala how UCONN used Maya back in 2009 and 2010, since DeShields can compete inside and grab rebounds, but they do not have a true post outside of Russell who has been injury prone, but oozes untapped potential.

Graves has had moments of All American level play, but she isn't a banger inside nor does she have the bulk to defend posts like Alaina Coates or Brionna Jones.

She leaves after this upcoming season, and then it's a crap shoot. I'm guessing Tennessee will land a transfer or a JUCO next off season, but they really really need to land a quality post player to alleviate Russell, who I will be happy to get 25 minutes per game from next year.

As much as most UT fans hate to admit, losing out on this prospect really bites. We'll see how she transitions to the D1 level, but from articles and speculation, she has the makings of being a really really good player who might have been a top recruit had she played high school ball in the states. Great athlete with a knack for rebounding and blocking shots. Exactly what Tennessee could use next year, and she slipped through their fingers. Perhaps even tougher for Tennessee is that they missed out on Dangerfield, who is the top recruit to come out of Tennessee since possibly Glory Johnson, and they miss out on another top 15 in state recruit in Carter.

Tennessee has a ton of talent for the next 2-3 years with DeShields and Russell (if healthy), 2 starting guards on board for the next two years, not to mention a promising freshman in Nard, and a very good incoming PG in Cooper, but with a relatively underwhelming 2014 recruiting class, only one premier recruit in 2015 and no one on board for 2016, it's a bit concerning for UT fans about the future post-Diamond DeShields.

The notion that Graves isn't a banger down low is one of the more uneducated evaluations I've seen in a long time. You'll be hard pressed to find a more tough, blue-collar forward than Bashaara Graves and in reference to the matchup with Coates, When TN went to SC at the end of the season without Izzy, Bashaara had 20/7 and Coates had 7/6.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The notion that Graves isn't a banger down low is one of the more uneducated evaluations I've seen in a long time. You'll be hard pressed to find a more tough, blue-collar forward than Bashaara Graves and in reference to the matchup with Coates, When TN went to SC at the end of the season without Izzy, Bashaara had 20/7 and Coates had 7/6.

Let me rephrase...she is a very physical player, but doesn't have the size or strength to defend big centers. Offensively her quickness is her best asset, blowing by defenders for layups rather than being a back to basket, back you in and beat you with post moves type of player. Even though she played great in the first USC game, USC's posts had their way inside, scoring 46 of their 71 points and winning the rebound battle by 13.

My point was that Graves can play the 5 in stretches, but if Russell isn't healthy or gets into foul trouble, Tennessee is facing an uphill battle with its depleted front court.

Reaction Score
During the past year the Tennessee coaching has been working with Kortney Dunbar to train her to play inside. Dunbar has improved her conditioning, speed, and defense. Plus she has maintained her killer 3-point shooting ability. She is about the same size and height as Graves and hopefully can give Bashaara some much-needed relief during games next year as can Jaime Nared. Senior Nia Moore continues to improve and has added some weight to her body. I expect to see Moore relieve Russell frequently next year. Tennessee is also going all-out for Destiny Slocum. Adding Slocum would require opposing teams to face guard her, thus opening up the inside game. Plus we still have the possibility of adding McCune.

Reaction Score
Ya this signing ... too bad Tenn lost out..... but good clarification CocoHusky..... no joy in Tenn's loss on this recruit.... as was suggested...... I am like you in that Tenn is just another star in the galaxy..... aside from extreme skepticism of ability of their coaching staff (they really DO have an incredible roster if you go down the list) and that "thing" that happened several years ago, I like the Tennessee team, and hope they return to form of past sooner than later .... would be good for the game .....

On this post player issue..... the interest heightens on Russell doesn't it? I heard from a few different points that she has been going super well since the start of the year..... and looks to come into next season with no residual problems from the feet..... Hope so.... college age is far too young to be afflicted by injuries of this nature..... especially with an athlete.....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dunbar and Moore could wind up being better players than they were projected to be coming out of high school, but it's a scary thought that these two are projected as backups inside. I think Dunbar could potentially be another Brittany Jackson/Sidney Spencer type, but I don't ever see her being a post player. And at 6-2, she had similar size to Graves but doesn't have the experience, athleticism or skill set that Graves does. Moore isn't the answer either. I think next year in big games, when Russell sits, Graves swings to the 5 and the other 4 on the court is a combination of Diamond, Reynolds, Carter, Cooper, Nard, Jones and Middleton.

Reaction Score
Dunbar and Moore could wind up being better players than they were projected to be coming out of high school, but it's a scary thought that these two are projected as backups inside. I think Dunbar could potentially be another Brittany Jackson/Sidney Spencer type, but I don't ever see her being a post player. And at 6-2, she had similar size to Graves but doesn't have the experience, athleticism or skill set that Graves does. Moore isn't the answer either. I think next year in big games, when Russell sits, Graves swings to the 5 and the other 4 on the court is a combination of Diamond, Reynolds, Carter, Cooper, Nard, Jones and Middleton.

You could very well be absolutely correct in your assessment, bballnut. It remains to be seen how Dunbar will perform next year. Jones and Nared, on the other hand, have proven that they can handle the four spot as needed. Moore may or may not be better--we'll see come November.

Reaction Score
During the past year the Tennessee coaching has been working with Kortney Dunbar to train her to play inside. Dunbar has improved her conditioning, speed, and defense. Plus she has maintained her killer 3-point shooting ability. She is about the same size and height as Graves and hopefully can give Bashaara some much-needed relief during games next year as can Jaime Nared. Senior Nia Moore continues to improve and has added some weight to her body. I expect to see Moore relieve Russell frequently next year. Tennessee is also going all-out for Destiny Slocum. Adding Slocum would require opposing teams to face guard her, thus opening up the inside game. Plus we still have the possibility of adding McCune.

Dunbar played 6.6 min a game in 14/15, She didn't play at all in the March 7th game vs Kentucky or in any game after that, and in games vs elite teams she played 3 min against Stanford & 2 min vs TAMU, going scoreless and getting 1 rebound. Over the season she averaged 3.1 points and 1.4 rebounds/gm in 20 games. Her 3 pt average was 38% on 14-37. I don't know how that is "maintaining her killer 3-point shooting ability"

So we can safely say that she was a total non-factor last season. If Tenn is looking for her to shore up the post next season then Kortney had better make a huge leap forward next season.

Moore is a decent player on the offensive end but her 2.9 rebounds /game says it all about her usefulness on defense. She was reed thin last season and would need to do more than put on a few pounds to stop being knocked around under the glass.

What Tenn needs is to put Jones' defense and Moore's offense into one body. Unfortunately they can only have one or the other.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Its always interesting to see how fans react when their team loses out on a recruit..... I remember a thread from the fall of 2012 .. when Tennesee was in the final 4 for post player Kendall Cooper. Cooper ultimately chose Duke over UCLA, TN, and TAMU. Anyway.... I looked through the archives and found this quote. Someone mentioned that it was a blow to TN .... and here was one reply

I wouldn't really call this a blow to Tennessee. The addition of Russell pretty much addressed any issues we had in the paint. Izzy is a very capable backup center. We were just missing that dominant low post scorer. With Graves and Burdik splitting time at the 4 spot, another post would have given us a logjam in the paint.

Hindsight is 20/20 ..... But a big, strong, athletic Post player like Cooper sounds like just what TN could have used.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dunbar played 6.6 min a game in 14/15, She didn't play at all in the March 7th game vs Kentucky or in any game after that, and in games vs elite teams she played 3 min against Stanford & 2 min vs TAMU, going scoreless and getting 1 rebound. Over the season she averaged 3.1 points and 1.4 rebounds/gm in 20 games. Her 3 pt average was 38% on 14-37. I don't know how that is "maintaining her killer 3-point shooting ability"

So we can safely say that she was a total non-factor last season. If Tenn is looking for her to shore up the post next season then Kortney had better make a huge leap forward next season.

Moore is a decent player on the offensive end but her 2.9 rebounds /game says it all about her usefulness on defense. She was reed thin last season and would need to do more than put on a few pounds to stop being knocked around under the glass.

What Tenn needs is to put Jones' defense and Moore's offense into one body. Unfortunately they can only have one or the other.
Sort of like UCONN relying on Ekmark to be one of the back up post player next year. No offense meant towards either player, but at least they have Moore...

Reaction Score
Let me rephrase...she is a very physical player, but doesn't have the size or strength to defend big centers. Offensively her quickness is her best asset, blowing by defenders for layups rather than being a back to basket, back you in and beat you with post moves type of player. Even though she played great in the first USC game, USC's posts had their way inside, scoring 46 of their 71 points and winning the rebound battle by 13.

My point was that Graves can play the 5 in stretches, but if Russell isn't healthy or gets into foul trouble, Tennessee is facing an uphill battle with its depleted front court.

I'll agree with you absolutely that it's a mountain to climb if Russell were to get hurt and Bashaara had to shoulder the entire inside load alone. I would argue that her quickness is not her best asset, while it is great, especially because she's developed her midrange so bigger posts have to come guard her. But her best asset is her ability to offensively rebound, get putbacks, and earn points at the foul line.

Reaction Score
Its always interesting to see how fans react when their team loses out on a recruit..... I remember a thread from the fall of 2012 .. when Tennesee was in the final 4 for post player Kendall Cooper. Cooper ultimately chose Duke over UCLA, TN, and TAMU. Anyway.... I looked through the archives and found this quote. Someone mentioned that it was a blow to TN .... and here was one reply

Hindsight is 20/20 ..... But a big, strong, athletic Post player like Cooper sounds like just what TN could have used.

Losing Kendall Cooper, Jatarie White. and Alaina Coates have been huge blows, no doubt. What puzzles me is that Dean Lockwood is one of the best in the game at developing posts, and our system is so well-fitted to post players getting great numbers. I think players need to see Tennessee back in the Final 4 before we'll be able to recruit extremely well again. Getting more Top 10 wins this season helped, as well as competing much better on the national stage against teams like Notre Dame and overachieving when Izzy went out. But recruits need to see us beating the Notre Dame's and Maryland's and getting to Final 4's before they're going to be sold that Tennessee is back. This year is a great opportunity to prove that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Losing Kendall Cooper, Jatarie White. and Alaina Coates have been huge blows, no doubt. What puzzles me is that Dean Lockwood is one of the best in the game at developing posts, and our system is so well-fitted to post players getting great numbers. I think players need to see Tennessee back in the Final 4 before we'll be able to recruit extremely well again. Getting more Top 10 wins this season helped, as well as competing much better on the national stage against teams like Notre Dame and overachieving when Izzy went out. But recruits need to see us beating the Notre Dame's and Maryland's and getting to Final 4's before they're going to be sold that Tennessee is back. This year is a great opportunity to prove that.

Was Coates considering TN ? It is puzzling that TN has missed out on posts... especially when playing time would be almost guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Sort of like UCONN relying on Ekmark to be one of the back up post player next year. No offense meant towards either player, but at least they have Moore...

LOL Yeah, but UConn isn't looking for Ekmark to back up their starting 5 and 4. Ekmark is a 2/3. Stewart, Tuck, Butler, Williams are the first four players UConn has at the 4/5 while Tenn has Russell, Graves, Moore & Jones. The difference is obvious to any objective observer.

Dunbar may well improve next season but nobody on the UConn side is saying Ekmark can play the post while you are putting up Dunbar as an option. Being 6' 2" is not sufficient to be considered a post option. If Dunbar plays significant minutes at either the 4 or 5 it will be a long year for the LV's.

Last edited:

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score

Coates never considered Tennessee.

White & Wilson wanted to play together, and it was obvious Wilson wasn't leaving the state, so that's where Jatarie went. Same with Brown & Mompremier. They wanted to play together, & Brown was sold on Baylor for a long time. Mompremier followed her there.

Tennessee is in good position with McCune, and hoping for a class of two posts and a guard.

Reaction Score
Coates never considered Tennessee.

White & Wilson wanted to play together, and it was obvious Wilson wasn't leaving the state, so that's where Jatarie went. Same with Brown & Mompremier. They wanted to play together, & Brown was sold on Baylor for a long time. Mompremier followed her there.

Tennessee is in good position with McCune, and hoping for a class of two posts and a guard.

Considering Coates was once scheduled to come on a visit to Tennessee, yes I think she considered Tennessee.

Reaction Score
LOL Yeah, but UConn isn't looking for Ekmark to back up their starting 5 and 4. Ekmark is a 2/3. Stewart, Tuck, Butler, Williams are the first four players UConn has at the 4/5 while Tenn has Russell, Graves, Moore & Jones. The difference is obvious to any objective observer.

Dunbar may well improve next season but nobody on the UConn side is saying Ekmark can play the post while you are putting up Dunbar as an option. Being 6' 2" is not sufficient to be considered a post option. If Dunbar plays significant minutes at either the 4 or 5 it will be a long year for the LV's.

It's worth noting, in addition to Russell, Graves, Moore, and Jones, that Nared can play the 4, and DeShields is athletic enough to defend the 4 as well. It seems Holly wants to play more guards and wings as opposed to years in the past where we sometimes had 3 posts on the floor at once.

Reaction Score
It's obvious to me that Pat Summitt was the main factor in attracting recruits. The kids today don't know her the way the old timers do. She is no longer a factor given current recruits were quite young when Pat got sick. These kids probably don't even know Michael Jackson.

Currently, what is apparent to recruits is the TN coaching staff's lack of charisma. Neither Holly or Dean Lockwood present themselves well in the public media. Fan support is high but declining. There is little else Tenn presents as a University to attract recruits. Not a great campus or academics. Hot humid climate. No big cities nearby.

The coming season will be make or break for the program. Diamond and Mercedes will have to perform wonders to enable the Vols to make a comeback. Both of these players have been a disappointment. Diamond initially rejected TN and thus lost a year. Mercedes also had a wasted freshman year. This will be the last chance to escape oblivion. Perhaps it can be done, but it's far from certain.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
It's obvious to me that Pat Summitt was the main factor in attracting recruits. The kids today don't know her the way the old timers do. She is no longer a factor given current recruits were quite young when Pat got sick. These kids probably don't even know Michael Jackson.

Currently, what is apparent to recruits is the TN coaching staff's lack of charisma. Neither Holly or Dean Lockwood present themselves well in the public media. Fan support is high but declining. There is little else Tenn presents as a University to attract recruits. Not a great campus or academics. Hot humid climate. No big cities nearby.

The coming season will be make or break for the program. Diamond and Mercedes will have to perform wonders to enable the Vols to make a comeback. Both of these players have been a disappointment. Diamond initially rejected TN and thus lost a year. Mercedes also had a wasted freshman year. This will be the last chance to escape oblivion. Perhaps it can be done, but it's far from certain.

Yes because two Elite 8's, one Sweet 16, 2 regular season SEC Championships and one SEC Tourney Championship is definitely oblivion. Everyone knows we def are not close to UCONN level recently (but really...who else has been?!?!) but IMHO it's a stretch to say we're headed into oblivion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Just curious...... do you think UCONN has a great campus ? I think this could be a OT thread.... favorite/least college campuses.. About the climate...... if you look at top recruits..... alot of them were born and raised in hot and humid climates...... so cant see that being a factor at all.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score

The NFOY was a disappointment? How can you even back that statement up?

You haven't seen what Mercedes can do. No one has. It's unfair to say her freshman year was a waste when she was playing on two bad feet the entire season. If this season is the same as her freshman year, I would agree with you.

This whole post seem like a blue tinted view of reality.

Reaction Score

Wow I think you got folks riled up! Tennessee is still very relevant in WCBB, I give them their due..... pre season polls will have them anywhere 3 to 6.... I don't think it is make or break time for them..... Holly and Dean, to me it is an x's sand o's thing, particularly on offense.... have no idea what their charisma quotient is!!!!

I believe the coaching staff has done quite a good job attracting recruits...... at some point they have to cash in on them.... with Diamond in the fold this year.... hope has ratcheted up in KVille.....Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom