Top Freshman Performers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Freshman Performers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Scaife for RU has put up almost identical numbers as Nina Davis and think you have to add her in as well....
huh? Davis has scored 14 more points than Scaife and taken 64 fewer shots. The comparison just gets worse if you take rebounds, steals, TOs into account. Davis's numbers are vastly better than Scaife's

Reaction Score
huh? Davis has scored 14 more points than Scaife and taken 64 fewer shots. The comparison just gets worse if you take rebounds, steals, TOs into account. Davis's numbers are vastly better than Scaife's
Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers in this team game. RU has become a completely transformed and improved team with Scaife being the only change/difference from last years 16 win team esp offensively.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Um... Davis is a forward. Scaife is a guard. I'm not sure what sport you follow, but of course a forward should have better rebounds than a guard.

Scaife - 13.3 PPG, 76.5 FG%, 1.3 steals, 3.0 APG, 3.0 RPG
Davis - 13.9 PPG, 65.7 FG%, 2.0 steals, 1.7 APG, 8.8 RPG

So as expected, forward Davis would have more rebounds, but guard Scaife would have more assists. It was their PPG that i was referring to in their stats, since that's the number that most often is compared from a production standpoint.

Reaction Score
Um... Davis is a forward. Scaife is a guard. I'm not sure what sport you follow, but of course a forward should have better rebounds than a guard.

So as expected, forward Davis would have more rebounds, but guard Scaife would have more assists. It was their PPG that i was referring to in their stats, since that's the number that most often is compared from a production standpoint.
And the fact that CVS frowns upon any one player taking too many shots(esp fr)!Too let her play says a lot.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lots of good frosh, but I see a glaring omission. Washington upset #3 Stanford today. The leading scorer for those Huskies is freshman Kelsey Plum, averaging 19.7 ppg. She is very, very good.
Last year Plum was trying to get KLS to go to Washington to play with her. Didn't work............but nice try.

Reaction Score
Numbers are numbers. Why do you think I don't think Chong's number are pedestrian?

You have this weird idea that I won't describe Chong in the same way as Reimer.

Again, you brought up Chong for no reason other than to try to show that I don't use an even hand in looking at a ND player vs a Uconn player.

Bull. [mod edit]

So prove me wrong!

Reaction Score
Numbers are numbers. Why do you think I don't think Chong's number are pedestrian?

You have this weird idea that I won't describe Chong in the same way as Reimer.

Again, you brought up Chong for no reason other than to try to show that I don't use an even hand in looking at a ND player vs a Uconn player.

Bull. [mod edit]

I will have a pleasant day, I proved my point!

Reaction Score

And a guard should have more steals except, oops, Scaife doesn't. More to the point I mistakenly assumed you meant something beyond PPG since that stat alone tells you very little about how good someone is (see M Simmons).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will have a pleasant day, I proved my point!
Well, I said Chong isn't top 5. Not sure why I have to use the same words I used to describe Reimer. To make you happy?

You had no point.

Have a nice evening.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And a guard should have more steals except, oops, Scaife doesn't. More to the point I mistakenly assumed you meant something beyond PPG since that stat alone tells you very little about how good someone is (see M Simmons).

Scaife is the real deal. Seems you haven't seen her play, if you insist on arguing on the fact.

Against UConn 22 points on 10-17 shooting, 3 assists, 3 rebounds.

Against L'ville 25 points on 10-16 shooting, 4 assists, 3 rebounds.

So I would not even think to compare Tyler to M. Simmons. :rolleyes: Totally two different types of players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Scaife is the real deal. Seems you haven't seen her play, if you insist on arguing on the fact.

So I would not even think to compare Tyler to M. Simmons. :rolleyes: Totally two different types of players.

I was really bummed when Scaife did not choose Baylor. She is the real deal. She is leaps and bounds better than Simmons.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I was really bummed when Scaife did not choose Baylor. She is the real deal. She is leaps and bounds better than Simmons.

Baylor didn't even make her final 5. Which were Rutgers, LSU, Ohio State, Kentucky, & Tennessee. Don't know if Baylor were in her top 10 though.

But I can't tell you how happy I am that she chose Rutgers. I was worried at the time that she would choose either Tennessee, or LSU.

Reaction Score
You got Ieshia Small, who we were also recruiting. Has she played this year or is she injured?

Reaction Score

I'm actually very curious to see her. I was careful not to pass judgment on her as her player. Just pointed out that her overall stats are not particularly impressive. Since she's a freshman I'm willing to believe that she's very talented and that her numbers will eventually reflect that. Right now overall they're not fantastic, although she evidently had great games against the two best teams in the conference, which counts for a lot. Again, my comment about her stats doesn't mean that she's not very talented, and she may well become an all American. My only point was that Nina Davis has vastly better stats, as she scores more points on way fewer shots and has much better secondary stats. That's just a fact. All that said, I suspect I'll be impressed by Scaife when I see her play given all the enthusiastic comments here on the BY.

Simmons only came up to make that point that PPG is a pretty meaningless stat. Mediocre players can score a lot of points.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Davis play, but it seems as if she is more of a forward, where Scaife is a guard, meaning head to head comparisons are hard to make. Davis' 60% FG is absurdly good for any player, not just a freshman, but Scaife's at 46%, which is very good for a guard, so I'm not sure why you are targeting her number of shots taken, since she makes a decent amount. It is worth pointing out thought that Davis also plays in an offense that average 20 more ppg than RU's, which could draw you to the conclusion that Scaife's ppg are more valuable to her team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor didn't even make her final 5. Which were Rutgers, LSU, Ohio State, Kentucky, & Tennessee. Don't know if Baylor were in her top 10 though.

But I can't tell you how happy I am that she chose Rutgers. I was worried at the time that she would choose either Tennessee, or LSU.

I think Baylor was in her top 10 and I was very disappointed when she dropped us from her list. Gonna be one of the best in RU history. She has all the skills and it's just a matter of time for her.
You got Ieshia Small, who we were also recruiting. Has she played this year or is she injured?

She has struggled with her shot and has been turnover prone so she isn't getting much PT. Mulkey really likes Johnson at PG an Imani Wright is better than Small. Wright is going to be a special talent as she can shoot the 3 and create her own shot. But Small has incredible athleticism and can get to the basket so quickly, which is where she excels.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers in this team game. RU has become a completely transformed and improved team with Scaife being the only change/difference from last years 16 win team esp offensively.

You don't think the change from the Big East to the AAC has more to do with it than Scaife?

Reaction Score
Chong must be very pedestrian also with her 5.9 ppg; 1.9a and 19.4 min/g.
Not what I have been reading on the boneyard of late.
I think it's mean to suggest that Reimer, though impressive, isn't nearly as much so as some other freshman across the country who've excelled on a consistent level, against all levels of competitors.

Reaction Score

I'm thinking that your shooting percentage numbers above must be from the foul line or these girls, particularly Scaife (as a guard) are unbelievable shooters. Who shoots at those percentages from the field????

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think it's mean to suggest that Reimer, though impressive, isn't nearly as much so as some other freshman across the country who've excelled on a consistent level, against all levels of competitors.
I think you meant meant not mean.

Reaction Score
Lindsey Allen without question being the starting point guard, replacing Skylar Diggins and the expectations of the team going to the Final Four and a good chance of making it to the championship game, especially the championship game because most people thought losing Skylar Diggins ended that dream. They are a better team this year for many reasons, not the least that Lindsey Allen has played beyond her years.

Reaction Score
You don't think the change from the Big East to the AAC has more to do with it than Scaife?
Too tell ya the truth I know the AAC aint the OBE but after UConn/ND theres about 40/60 teams and a bunch of really bad teams due to the shallowness of WBB talent pool? Considering the youth of RU I expect B1G things next yr and going forward. Remember only a couple of yrs ago we were UConns real rival/peer but since Pip(I swore never to think of her again) jumped to the pro's something inexplicable happened.....RU became only an average team(heresy) until this year their showing signs of life again with the good news being were(RU) so young. As for next year UConn deserves better than the AAC has or will have to offer IMO. I hope someone steps up to challenge you guys until the B1G offers for competive reasons.I'm hoping RU and UConn until then will play yearly OOC games to keep the whole region focused on the 2 programs. I'm really not concerned though with the C7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom