Top Freshman Performers | The Boneyard

Top Freshman Performers

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who would you put in your top 5?

I think that Mavunga and Gray of UNC and Davis from Baylor are strong candidates. DeShields? Jackson from Arkansas? Coates from South Carolina?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Who would you put in your top 5?

I think that Mavunga and Gray of UNC and Davis from Baylor are strong candidates. DeShields? Jackson from Arkansas? Coates from South Carolina?
Hmmm.....let me think......

I know you were trying to be humble, but I'm picking Nina Davis in my top five.

Reaction Score
Tyler Scaife is playing very well, especially in big games for RU.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can't leave out Davis (Kaela) from Ga Tech. over 18 PPG is an eye-popping number for a freshie, and given she's the 2nd leading scorer on her team, it's not like all the offense flows through her. I think you also could add Reimer to that list, since we all saw her great numbers when starting in place of the injured Achonwa, and she's been solid off the bench since Natalie has come back.

I agree on Nina Davis and will be the first to admit that Baylor has been hands down the biggest surprise to me this season. I get that they have Simms, but like Stanford, their supporting cast has been much better than I thought and neither team is only a 1 trick pony, even tho Simms (and Ogwumike) are hands down the main focus every minute of every game.

Scaife for RU has put up almost identical numbers as Nina Davis and think you have to add her in as well. Interestingly enough, 3 of RU's top 4 scorers are freshmen (Scaife) or sophomores (Copper, Canty). The future looks bright for the Scarlet Knights.

Hard to pick the top 5. Some kids were asked to be starters and leaders from day 1, others who are maybe no less terrific, have come off the bench and been terrific in more limited minutes. Do you simply pick the kid who is a starter averaging 30+ MPG over a bench player averaging 18 MPG but who's production per minute is about the same? There's a difference between the "best" freshmen, and those producing the best statistics...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Tyler Scaife, she will be a future All-American IMO.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
In spite of my extreme dislike for UNC, I do think we gotta have De Shields in there.

What I don't understand about UNC is why are there no penalties for their extreme cheating ring? But that doesn't belong in this thread...still I wonder....I suppose present freshmen knew nothing about it, right?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think you also could add Reimer to that list, since we all saw her great numbers when starting in place of the injured Achonwa, and she's been solid off the bench since Natalie has come back.
Great point on all the other freshman you mentioned. I do disagree about Reimer.

Her early season numbers were against some really poor teams. She is only at 8.6 ppg and 5.1 rpg in 19.5 mpg.

And in conference play (most recent games), she is only averaging 7.1 ppg and 3.6 rpg. Very pedestrian.

Reaction Score
Chong must be very pedestrian also with her 5.9 ppg; 1.9a and 19.4 min/g.
Not what I have been reading on the boneyard of late.

Reaction Score
Allen, the guard at ND. Stepping in at pg is no easy feat, particularly for an undefeated team.

Reaction Score
Yes, Chong's numbers are not top 5 freshman either.

You, on the other hand, just want to argue....putting you in the bottom 5 posters.

What a coincidence, I have you on the same list.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What a coincidence, I have you on the same list.
Gee, aren't you clever.

Is Reiner on your list of top 5 freshman? Why don't you explain why her numbers aren't pedestrian instead of being so snarky.

Reaction Score
Outstanding Freshmen 2013-2014:

Nina Davis Baylor
Saniya Chong UCONN
Kaela Davis GA Tech
Ally Disterhoft Iowa
Leticia Romero KS State
Lexie Brown MD
Siera Thompson Mich.
Stephanie Mavunga NoCar
Diamond DeShields NoCar
Taya Reimer ND
Lindsay Allen ND
Gioya Carter Okla
Tyler Scaife Rutgers
Lili Thompson Stanf.
Tori Jankoska Mich. State
The RED = Top 5 freshmen IMHO
I have way to much time on my hands!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another freshman having a good season and really contributing to her team's success is Raigyne Moncrief of LSU.

Reaction Score
Gee, aren't you clever.

Is Reiner on your list of top 5 freshman? Why don't you explain why her numbers aren't pedestrian instead of being so snarky.

It was real easy for you to say Reimer's numbers were pedestrian, but you could never say that Chong's numbers are just as pedestrian.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It was real easy for you to say Reimer's numbers were pedestrian, but you could never say that Chong's numbers are just as pedestrian.

Actually, it was hard to say that about Reimer. I kept misspelling her name. I before E except after C screwed me up.

What does Chong have to do with it? No one said she was in the top 5.

Again, are Reimer's numbers pedestrian or not? Try to stay on topic. You are the only one that brought up Chong.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
To be honest, as a Notre Dame fan, I really don't think that Reimer's numbers stand out. She would certainly not be among the top 5 freshman this season in my mind. Also, the stats don't really show how well someone plays on defense, and Reimer is definitely not there on defense yet. But I certainly don't feel that she was overrated, but rather that some other freshmen have taken better advantage of their opportunities than Taya has. I'm expecting a strong finish from Taya, and then a big jump her sophomore year coincident with her insertion into the starting line-up. But I admit there is an optimistic lean to my forecast. Presently Taya's numbers compare very well to Tuck's freshman campaign, but lag far behind Stewart's.

Lindsey Allen has played very well for Notre Dame this season, but I'm not sure I would include her and exclude Tyler Scaife from Rutgers. Her presence for the Scarlet Knights has seemingly transformed the team into actually having an offense, while Allen has quietly filled her (admittedly) difficult role. The one factor that gives me pause is Scaife's A/TO ratio, which lags considerably behind, Allen and Brown (MD). (Moncrief has a similar problem with her A/TO ratio.)

Reaction Score
Lindsey Allen has played very well for Notre Dame this season, but I'm not sure I would include her and exclude Tyler Scaife from Rutgers. Her presence for the Scarlet Knights has seemingly transformed the team into actually having an offense, while Allen has quietly filled her (admittedly) difficult role. The one factor that gives me pause is Scaife's A/TO ratio, which lags considerably behind, Allen and Brown (MD). (Moncrief has a similar problem with her A/TO ratio.)[/quote]

Allen is a point guard, not sure about Brown, but Tyler really has been more of a shooting guard for us rather than a point. Davis and Canty have been playing point. That being said, Tyler does need to improve her A/TO.

Reaction Score
I bring up Chong's numbers because they are very similar to Reimer's. You call Reimer's numbers Very pedestrian but you can not use the same terms in describing Chong's when brought to your attention. Why is that?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Allen is a point guard, not sure about Brown, but Tyler really has been more of a shooting guard for us rather than a point. Davis and Canty have been playing point. That being said, Tyler does need to improve her A/TO.
The way I see it, guards should all have pretty decent A/TO ratios. If you're a PG, you have more opportunities for assists, but you also have more opportunities for turnovers because you're the primary passer. SG guards typically have fewer opportunities for both assists and TO, so their ratio should be decent. All players have chances for TO's whenever they touch the ball, even if they are not planning on a move that could generate an assist (e.g., fumbling an incoming pass, getting a rebound stolen, or getting a short outlet pass stolen). Non-guards typically have fewer opportunities for assists, but also can rack up turnovers for moving screens on offense (where there's not an opportunity for an assist). Thus their ratios should be lowest.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lots of good frosh, but I see a glaring omission. Washington upset #3 Stanford today. The leading scorer for those Huskies is freshman Kelsey Plum, averaging 19.7 ppg. She is very, very good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I bring up Chong's numbers because they are very similar to Reimer's. You call Reimer's numbers Very pedestrian but you can not use the same terms in describing Chong's when brought to your attention. Why is that?

Numbers are numbers. Why do you think I don't think Chong's number are pedestrian?

You have this weird idea that I won't describe Chong in the same way as Reimer.

Again, you brought up Chong for no reason other than to try to show that I don't use an even hand in looking at a ND player vs a Uconn player.

Bull. [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hysterical!! "The Undisputed, Number One, Self-Appointed Heysiddonder-in-Chief" of the forum gettin' testy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom