Top 5 All-time teams from each school | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Top 5 All-time teams from each school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I thought she was considered a F?

Rebecca? She played both power forward and center but is considered a center.

Check the media guide for her bio (p. 72):

REBECCA LOBO Center | Southwick, Mass. | Southwick-Tolland 1995 NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR

:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rebecca? She played both power forward and center but is considered a center.

Check the media guide for her bio (p. 72):

REBECCA LOBO Center | Southwick, Mass. | Southwick-Tolland 1995 NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR

:)
Ok, I always thought Wolters played center.

Reaction Score
Ok, I always thought Wolters played center.

Wolters played center but was two years younger. Which means Lobo probably played center the two prior years before Wolters came. Plus Lobo played center when Wolters was out/resting etc.

For me Tina was best center ever at UCONN but I understand those that may give vote to Rebecca.

Reaction Score
I thought she was considered a F?
I went back to the introductions for that 1995 title game with Tenn. They introduced Lobo as the 6'4" senior forward and Wolters as the 6'7" sophomore center. Best guess is Lobo was a forward for at least her jr. and sr. years with Wolters on hand.

Reaction Score
I went back to the introductions for that 1995 title game with Tenn. They introduced Lobo as the 6'4" senior forward and Wolters as the 6'7" sophomore center. Best guess is Lobo was a forward for at least her jr. and sr. years with Wolters on hand.
Thank you!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To the original question, is there a UConn player in the top 3 at each position - the answer is "maybe". You all have identified the primary candidates. But you always have that "different eras" thing. Lieberman, Staley, Bird? or someone else? Leslie, maybe Griner, Charles? or Donovan?. A very few great players from pre-NCAA days that none of us have ever seen, of course.

I think a "fair" place to start if one was so minded would be to look at who has been inducted into the Naismith and WBB Halls of Fame, and compare them to the UConn players who are still playing (as well as others still active). I don't have the desire to do it, but that would be one approach. Of course, the problem, as always, is still to identify what defines "top 3".

Reaction Score
To the original question, is there a UConn player in the top 3 at each position - the answer is "maybe". You all have identified the primary candidates. But you always have that "different eras" thing. Lieberman, Staley, Bird? or someone else? Leslie, maybe Griner, Charles? or Donovan?. A very few great players from pre-NCAA days that none of us have ever seen, of course.

I think a "fair" place to start if one was so minded would be to look at who has been inducted into the Naismith and WBB Halls of Fame, and compare them to the UConn players who are still playing (as well as others still active). I don't have the desire to do it, but that would be one approach. Of course, the problem, as always, is still to identify what defines "top 3".
Criteria for the WBB Hall in Knoxville for a player is two of four items. 1-All American status, 2-Player of the Year (Wade, etc),3-Olympic play, 4-Pro experience with honors and/or championships. Since the this Hall began they have inducted about 150 people (including the 2016 class. After the 65 initially inducted in first four years they have been bringing six new members each year. The 2016 class will include only two players, Jackie Stiles and Natalie Williams. Not enough time to research how many of the 150 currently enshrined come from the player ranks but for future reference they player needs to be retired for 5 years. So when you look at the current crop of WNBA stars how soon do they retire and meet two of the four criteria noted. There are at least a dozen former Husky's and my guess is that a minimum of three, probably four of them are likely locks for induction at some point. Taurasi, Bird, Moore, and Charles. Might not know about Moore and Charles for quite a few years.

Reaction Score
I just took another look at the HOF membership. UConn, at least names that I recognize, has only three members, Geno Auriemma, Rebecca Lobo, and Jennifer Rizzotti. Now I think the reason for that is simply most of the big time performers were at UConn between 2000 and now. So the five year retired time has not hit most of them.

Reaction Score

Yes, there are different eras. There are a lot of players that I've never seen play before. That is why I asked for your help, in picking these players and teams. I truly value your opinions and it gives me a chance to hear more about players from other teams that I've never followed.

Top 3, are the best 3 players, in your opinion. simple as that.

Reaction Score
Criteria for the WBB Hall in Knoxville for a player is two of four items. 1-All American status, 2-Player of the Year (Wade, etc),3-Olympic play, 4-Pro experience with honors and/or championships. Since the this Hall began they have inducted about 150 people (including the 2016 class. After the 65 initially inducted in first four years they have been bringing six new members each year. The 2016 class will include only two players, Jackie Stiles and Natalie Williams. Not enough time to research how many of the 150 currently enshrined come from the player ranks but for future reference they player needs to be retired for 5 years. So when you look at the current crop of WNBA stars how soon do they retire and meet two of the four criteria noted. There are at least a dozen former Husky's and my guess is that a minimum of three, probably four of them are likely locks for induction at some point. Taurasi, Bird, Moore, and Charles. Might not know about Moore and Charles for quite a few years.
For those who may have an interest here is the link to see the qualifications in each category for consideration to the WBHOF Knoxville,
http://www.wbhof.com/Nomination.html

Reaction Score
In the grand scheme of things Bascomb was I think Geno's first AA player and was there when the fan base was pretty small. Now, the question of match ups with the best of Tenn, ND, Stanford, Duke (I take judicial notice that you did not include them). Not only can that "starting five" (Tina, Breanna, Maya, Diana, Sue/MoJeff) score the ball they all, even Maya played great defense. Might be the only reason I might have Mo creep ahead of Sue. But how good have they been when you can legit make a "best" team and leave a HOF member like Lobo on the bench. Pretty special talent Geno has been able to bring to the hills of NE CT.
I liked you team, Svetie (as Sue called her) made me a fan. I lived in them thar hills and worked in that thar place. Darn cold breeze with the snow in your face, but a fun place, even liked playing BB in the old field house. Lobo almost lived in ct, would have if Mass didn't steal that notch land.

Reaction Score
Lobo almost lived in ct, would have if Mass didn't steal that notch land.
I have been out of C T nearing 20 years so I confess I went to Google the map. Lobo had just 32 miles as the crow flies. But even with out the fly over it is less than 50 miles and an hour on the road. So I suppose in that little notch we can almost legit adopt her as a CT Yankee. Certainly a much shorter trip than Ms. Abrosimova had.

Reaction Score
I have been out of C T nearing 20 years so I confess I went to Google the map. Lobo had just 32 miles as the crow flies. But even with out the fly over it is less than 50 miles and an hour on the road. So I suppose in that little notch we can almost legit adopt her as a CT Yankee. Certainly a much shorter trip than Ms. Abrosimova had.

When I lived in Granby, I'd walk a dirt (closed off ) road to Southwick Ma Notch and visit a cousin. Left there after a year of too many snow storms--only returning to CT after 25 or 30 years away--the authors are right you can't go home--only thing I left behind was the UConn women. I was pleased the road to the Southwick HS was named for Lobo. Svetie at Uconn was a Connecticut Yankee--

To Gampel games we'd take back roads to Suffield, cross over to 91, South Windsor cut over to 84, up to 195 Then to the parking garage. Trudge snow to the game. Took a tiny bit over an hour, sometimes less.
Good map reading..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member