Top 5 All-time teams from each school | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Top 5 All-time teams from each school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
\

The body of work is impressive. Impressive enough to consider Notre Dame all time top 5 among the elites. The interesting thing about Notre Dame all time top 5 is that we had the luxury to see 4/5 players play on the same team as "OutsideShot" was referencing. With that being said if we truly want to compare each teams all time 5 we can't stop at just final four appearances. The facts are 80% of Notre Dame all time are responsible for five Final Four appearances. And how did majority fair in championship games?

Texas A&M 76 Notre Dame 70 (No J.Loyd)
Baylor 80 Notre Dame 61 (B.Griner O.Sims vs S.Diggins K.Mcbride N.Achonwa D.Peters) (No J.Loyd)
Uconn 79 Notre Dame 58 (B. Stewart M.Jefferson vs K.Mcbride N.Anchonwa J.Loyd) (No S.Diggins)

Getting to the final four is very impressive especially if you're getting there with consistency, but if we're comparing elites we can't overlook the fact that majority of Notre Dame all time 5 players couldn't get the job done once... WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP (the reason teams breath the final four). With that being said the sole reason I'll rank Baylor, Uconn, and Tenn, and USC all time 5 higher than Notre Dame but I would rank Notre Dame one spot higher than Stanford.

Kayla Mcbride was also unavailable for the 2011 Championship game.

Reaction Score
I believe ND was missing Kayla McBride for this game also- an academic issue if I remember correctly. That is the Game that got away from ND. ND had to find a way to win that game.
Texas A&M was on a serious roll.

Reaction Score
No conversation about which team was missing which great player could not begin without the one missing title for UConn in a five year span where they were missing Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosamova. As far as UConn and post play I think about Lobo, Wolters, Charles, Dolson. Seems like four AA's to me. PG Riotti, Bird, Jefferson all AA's as well. Need a bigger roster than most schools.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Texas A&M was on a serious roll.
Yes A&M was definitely on a roll and the selection committee did Baylor dirty by putting them on the same side as A&M setting up the 3rd meeting of the season. Once Baylor was out of the way ND should have pounced. The committee tried the same dirt with UCONN in 2013-setting up 4th meeting of the season with ND before National Championship game. Louisville mugged Baylor into submission. UCONN too care of business vs. ND and smashed Louisville in national Championship game. UCONN vs. ND in 2013 FF is my favorite game of all time & very year when selection comes around I point out those two examples of bias being involved in the selection.

Reaction Score
\

The body of work is impressive. Impressive enough to consider Notre Dame all time top 5 among the elites. The interesting thing about Notre Dame all time top 5 is that we had the luxury to see 4/5 players play on the same team as "OutsideShot" was referencing. With that being said if we truly want to compare each teams all time 5 we can't stop at just final four appearances. The facts are 80% of Notre Dame all time are responsible for five Final Four appearances. And how did majority fair in championship games?

Texas A&M 76 Notre Dame 70 (No J.Loyd)
Baylor 80 Notre Dame 61 (B.Griner O.Sims vs S.Diggins K.Mcbride N.Achonwa D.Peters) (No J.Loyd)
Uconn 79 Notre Dame 58 (B. Stewart M.Jefferson vs K.Mcbride N.Anchonwa J.Loyd) (No S.Diggins)

Getting to the final four is very impressive especially if you're getting there with consistency, but if we're comparing elites we can't overlook the fact that majority of Notre Dame all time 5 players couldn't get the job done once... WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP (the reason teams breath the final four). With that being said the sole reason I'll rank Baylor, Uconn, and Tenn, and USC all time 5 higher than Notre Dame but I would rank Notre Dame one spot higher than Stanford.
That Stanford team would destroy ND in the post. Not sure about the guard play though.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to know, out of all of these teams, who are considered the top 3 centers?
I wonder if TC would make this list. I wonder who from UConn would make a top 3 at any position? Again, because I only watch UConn, I would say DT, BS, MM, MJ and TC would all make the top 3. Anybody disagree?

Reaction Score
I'm curious to know, out of all of these teams, who are considered the top 3 centers?
I wonder if TC would make this list. I wonder who from UConn would make a top 3 at any position? Again, because I only watch UConn, I would say DT, BS, MM, MJ and TC would all make the top 3. Anybody disagree?
So much of this discussion is a function of what successes in many cases did the team have. We need to remember that none of these very talented young women played more than four years for their respective programs. If we take into some consideration what they may have accomplished in a WNBA career that may reinforce our assessment or it may lead us away from some. From the UConn side of this Diana, Tina, Maya have had great pro years. Lobo & Wolters were solid. Sue, Swin, Svet, Tiffany, and I probably left someone out have had excellent pro careers. I marvel at the growth in athleticism for UConn in watching the old games (HAHA - from '95 - "old"). From Rizotti to Bird to Jefferson. The job that Shea does now on the sidelines as part of Geno's brain trust. Think about it, four years from today, barring a red shirt season NO ONE on the current roster will still be playing ball for Geno. And he keeps the home fires burning for us, year after year. Here's a question for you all, be it 2, 5, 8 years, Geno retires. Who gets the job? I don't think it will be C.D., she retires when he does. Shea, how about Rizotti? a new face?

Reaction Score
So much of this discussion is a function of what successes in many cases did the team have. We need to remember that none of these very talented young women played more than four years for their respective programs. If we take into some consideration what they may have accomplished in a WNBA career that may reinforce our assessment or it may lead us away from some. From the UConn side of this Diana, Tina, Maya have had great pro years. Lobo & Wolters were solid. Sue, Swin, Svet, Tiffany, and I probably left someone out have had excellent pro careers. I marvel at the growth in athleticism for UConn in watching the old games (HAHA - from '95 - "old"). From Rizotti to Bird to Jefferson. The job that Shea does now on the sidelines as part of Geno's brain trust. Think about it, four years from today, barring a red shirt season NO ONE on the current roster will still be playing ball for Geno. And he keeps the home fires burning for us, year after year. Here's a question for you all, be it 2, 5, 8 years, Geno retires. Who gets the job? I don't think it will be C.D., she retires when he does. Shea, how about Rizotti? a new face?
I'm betting on Shea.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

:oops:

Kinda suprised that your top 3 of all time best WCBB players per position didnt include 15 UCONN players. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Didn't she win a player of the year award?

She may have stolen one from Taurasi :rolleyes:

Snarkiness aside.. Yes she did.... thats the only way to get your number retired at Duke..... so Beard and Harding are the only WCBB players to have their jersey's retired at Duke.

I had to look up the definition of snark a few weeks ago....... Cocohusky used it in a sentence in reference to a reply i made in another thread :p

Reaction Score
I'm betting on Shea.
I've been known to hold an irrational grudge for an inordinate amount of time. and when UConn was hit with the suspension from the NCAA tourney and the league event as well it was then and remains my belief that it was done unfairly with that whole APR crap and the chair of the committee who caused that sanction was/is the President of U of Hartford. For that reason it has long been my fervent hope that should the top job at UConn open up I believe it is one the Jen would leave Hartford to accept and I would love to leave that shmuck hanging. Can't argue that Shea wouldn't be a solid choice either.

Reaction Score
She may have stolen one from Taurasi :rolleyes:

Snarkiness aside.. Yes she did.... thats the only way to get your number retired at Duke..... so Beard and Harding are the only WCBB players to have their jersey's retired at Duke.

I had to look up the definition of snark a few weeks ago.. Cocohusky used it in a sentence in reference to a reply i made in another thread :p
I like the UConn routine, no names on the uniform, number with name on the wall, nothing thus far to indicate retiring a number. How many would we need to set aside? 50, 3, 10, 23, 31, 52, 30, and probably a few more I can't think of right now (it is getting late - haha)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I like the UConn routine, no names on the uniform, number with name on the wall, nothing thus far to indicate retiring a number. How many would we need to set aside? 50, 3, 10, 23, 31, 52, 30, and probably a few more I can't think of right now (it is getting late - haha)

Who was #10 ?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

Top two centers have to be Griner and Leslie. After that, I'm not sure.

Reaction Score
I would like to hear one instance of an announcer who says,"And now playing the wing position" or "And now at wing 6'1" . . ." I've never heard any announcer say a player was at the wing position.

Reaction Score
Top two centers have to be Griner and Leslie. After that, I'm not sure.
Griner was very good. I always thought she should have had much higher rebounding numbers. Lisa, I've never seen her play in college. Who is your 3rd choice at center?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would like to hear one instance of an announcer who says,"And now playing the wing position" or "And now at wing 6'1" . . ." I've never heard any announcer say a player was at the wing position.

I actually have ...... wing... wing guard.. wing forward

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Griner was very good. I always thought she should have had much higher rebounding numbers. Lisa, I've never seen her play in college. Who is your 3rd choice at center?

As I said, I'm not sure. I'm not sure Charles is even the best center in UConn history. Rebecca has better stats on a per game basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom