Time to fire Kevin Duffy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time to fire Kevin Duffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can be dense but what is Duffy trying to say? Play Boyle or don't play Boyle? To me it seems like he's sitting on the fence.

Here's Fuller's piece filed last night: UConn is committed to Whitmer as starting QB

and Des': UConn Reserve QB Tim Boyle Says If His Number Is Called He’ll Be Ready

I don't think he was taking a position Medic. he was presenting each side of the argument, which seems OK to me. If you had a gun to his head I suppose he'd say don't play him this year. Just a guess, though.

If they lose to Buffalo, the QB isn't the person who should be replaced.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Unbelievable discussion. We are a full game before we even get to conference play. It would be idiotic -- even idiotic beyond P's idiocy -- to not play the QB who gives you the best chance to win at least until you have 7 losses. That is always true, but even more so with P's job on the line.

Whitmer is playing because P believes that gives us the best chance to win. The body of work of him, and his back ups, is not such that anyone here has any reason to believe that we would have a better chance of winning with anyone else at QB. The moment P thinks we do, that guy will be taking snaps. Regardless of class and what it does to his confidence in the future.

Reaction Score
If you think the int's are bad now. Play a true freshman QB and then sit back and watch. Johnny Football is an aberration.

Reaction Score
Can't disagree with anything in this article. However, Going to Boyle now does nothing but sends him running for his life, Shakes his confidence , and possibly gets him hurt on account of this terrible offensive line. If we had a running game and some blocking, it would be a different conversation, but then again probably wouldn't be happening then either because Whitmer would be looking a lot better if he had that support.I agree with the article, Whitmer is def not in the top 3 problems with this team, changing the QB now does nothing but eliminate a year of potential for Boyle and Uconn football.

Boyle would likely be able to use his athleticism to run the little option play coach seems to like. He also might have better vision due to his size, and his armstrength is at least equal. He'd make some plays. But bottom line he is a freshman and any attempt to catch lightning in a bottle could end up with him getting his bell rung due to inexperience, along with the likely timing issues and misreads leading to more inconvenient interceptions. If you're desperate to turn things around or save your job please give Casey a shot. He's a smart kid, bigger than Chandler and threw plenty in HS. And like Pal said has a year in the system. I see more risk than reward here.

I forgot this is an unbelievable discussion. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest if there's anyone who should be replaced it's every OLineman not named Steve Greene.

I can't for the life of me believe that Boyle is that much better than Whitmer that he's going to save the reason in spite of the OL play.

Keep the RS on the kid. After the Buffalo game a quarter of the season is gone.

Reaction Score
Why bypass Casey? He could go in right now. He knows the system. Why jump over him to Boyle? This is one of Pasqualoni's biggest flaws. He has no idea what his personnel can do because he never puts them in game situations. Casey could be the next Russel Wilson but P will never know because he never put him in a game

By that logic Paul Nowekji could be the next Tony Boselli.

Reaction Score
After the Buffalo game a quarter of the season is gone.

I only correct you to let people know, after Buffalo, we are 1/3 of the way through the season. Before you know it......

Reaction Score
By that logic Paul Nowekji could be the next Tony Boselli.

Exactly, without putting players into games, there is no meaningful way to evaluate them.

We sat Marcus Easley for three years, we put him into a game and found out he was the best WR on the team.

Reaction Score
Exactly, without putting players into games, there is no meaningful way to evaluate them.

We sat Marcus Easley for three years, we put him into a game and found out he was the best WR on the team.
Do you have any compulsion to be factual, or are you just happy to make stuff up? if you bothered to check, Marcus Easley played in 12 games in 2008. He even started in 4 of them. He also played in a couple in 2007. Just because you want to pretend that Edsall ignored him for 4 years, and pretend that every player who is sitting on the bench is a potential pro prospect doesn't make it fact. The fact is that coaches always evaluate players based on practice. They make virtually all playing time decisions based on how a guy performs in practice. Every now and again, a guy who has been hanging around on the bench goes in and makes a huge impact, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. That's why those stories are big news. And just to clear up the record again, Marcus Easley was not one of those guys. Go back and look at the statistics. He played 12 games and started in several. Once in a while it just clicks, too.

Reaction Score
Do you have any compulsion to be factual, or are you just happy to make stuff up? if you bothered to check, Marcus Easley played in 12 games in 2008. He even started in 4 of them. He also played in a couple in 2007. Just because you want to pretend that Edsall ignored him for 4 years, and pretend that every player who is sitting on the bench is a potential pro prospect doesn't make it fact. The fact is that coaches always evaluate players based on practice. They make virtually all playing time decisions based on how a guy performs in practice. Every now and again, a guy who has been hanging around on the bench goes in and makes a huge impact, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. That's why those stories are big news. And just to clear up the record again, Marcus Easley was not one of those guys. Go back and look at the statistics. He played 12 games and started in several. Once in a while it just clicks, too.

You believe that Marcus was given meaningful minutes or that he had a real chance. What were you watching?

Reaction Score
You believe that Marcus was given meaningful minutes or that he had a real chance. What were you watching?

Yeah, really, how many times was he targeted. Easly his jr. year was primarily used as a blocker.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Best players should be playing regardless if they are a true freshman or a fifth year senior.

You try to win now not next year, because there may not be a next year.

Reaction Score
Best players should be playing regardless if they are a true freshman or a fifth year senior.

You try to win now not next year, because there may not be a next year.

In this case, no way. We are not in a great recruiting area. If we have the two most important skill positions loaded with talent and eligibility, we are in a much better position to lure a great coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In this case, no way. We are not in a great recruiting area. If we have the two most important skill positions loaded with talent and eligibility, we are in a much better position to lure a great coach.

You aren't going to lose a coach over Boyle being a soph instead of a redshirt freshman.

Reaction Score
You aren't going to lose a coach over Boyle being a soph instead of a redshirt freshman.

I don't think so either but I see no benefit of wasting his red shirt this year. I see a few benefits of holding him out, creating a great opportunity for a coach being one of them. Four years of Boyle and Newsome is attractive.

Cough, cough, Petrino, cough, cough.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think so either but I see no benefit of wasting his red shirt this year. I see a few benefits of holding him out, creating a great opportunity for a coach being one of them. Four years of Boyle and Newsome is attractive.

Cough, cough, Petrino, cough, cough.

Like Petrino would be worried who the QB was in his 4th year? He would assume he could over-recruit him and would have no intention of staying 4 years.

The benefit is that they can still realistically win 6 games because the schedule is so weak from here out. If he helps win those 6 games play him.

Reaction Score
I would prefer to preserve Boyle for next year as I don’t want to see him decapitated playing for a GDL offensive line. Need to keep Boyle in once piece for the future (hopefully without the PP and GDL show). That is also why I am concerned that if Boyle is the best QB on the roster, PP will throw him in and risk Boyle’s future just so that PP and cave his and GDL’s neck.

Reaction Score
I would prefer to preserve Boyle for next year as I don’t want to see him decapitated playing for a GDL offensive line. Need to keep Boyle in once piece for the future (hopefully without the PP and GDL show). That is also why I am concerned that if Boyle is the best QB on the roster, PP will throw him in and risk Boyle’s future just so that PP and cave his and GDL’s neck.

... and what if the "next coach" decides to move away from a pro-style QB??

IMHO - Sitting him to keep him eligible for an additional year down the road is a disservice to TB (not buying the "we must protect him from his porous o-line for his own good" argument. They all know what they are getting into when they sign a NLI.

Reaction Score
... and what if the "next coach" decides to move away from a pro-style QB??

IMHO - Sitting him to keep him eligible for an additional year down the road is a disservice to TB.

God, I sure hope our next coach doesn't start from scratch again. We have a big, talented QB from CT and I want him to play. I'm not sure we should hire someone that doesn't like Boyle as an asset. We haven't had a QB with that much potential in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom