The View From Section 241 -- UCF | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great job as always. I think it was Cam Stapleton on the late hit on a pass that may have been picked off as it was close as to whether Obi had a foot in bounds. Cam did not hit him hard, but he did hit him out of bounds and the Freshman QB Did a good acting job. Close, but a good call & inexcusable.

My bad -- I did hear Stapleton. If it was a penalty, it was a penalty but still a key moment is without the mistake we go into the locker room up 9 and feeling much better

C

Chief00

I can't criticize the students because they are subsidizing the football program with tens of millions of dollars in student fees. It's almost crimminal.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I watched the field goal attempt again and the laces were facing Bobby which more than likely pushed the kick to the right as it did. The fake was poorly done and shouldn't be done weekly that's for sure

Reaction Score
I watched the field goal attempt again and the laces were facing Bobby which more than likely pushed the kick to the right as it did. The fake was poorly done and shouldn't be done weekly that's for sure
Sometimes I wish we would swap some of the FG shenanigans for going for it 4th and short in certain spots. Particularly on the plus side of the field.

Reaction Score
I find these summaries and reflections typically sound and accurate, but I don't know what you were watching this time around. Basically, we had 2 quarters of competitive football. That's not nearly enough to win games and we have 4 games left. The litany of problems are posted throughout. They are on both sides of the ball. Yes, the officiating was suspect but they didnt cause the poor play calling, poor player utilization or huge lapses in execution. The staff is an utter disaster and it's reflected on the field week in and week out. I feel like I'm reliving Pasqueloni years again with these hopelessly optimistic efforts to find a glimmer in a Shiite pile.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the write-up. You view it more positively than I did but I'm just frustrated with losing another winnable game. But it's just a game and I'll be there Friday November 4th against Temple, rain or shine.

Reaction Score
I find these summaries and reflections typically sound and accurate, but I don't know what you were watching this time around. Basically, we had 2 quarters of competitive football. That's not nearly enough to win games and we have 4 games left. The litany of problems are posted throughout. They are on both sides of the ball. Yes, the officiating was suspect but they didnt cause the poor play calling, poor player utilization or huge lapses in execution. The staff is an utter disaster and it's reflected on the field week in and week out. I feel like I'm reliving Pasqueloni years again with these hopelessly optimistic efforts to find a glimmer in a Shiite pile.
I have to say this fair for one reason, all year long we were the worst 1st quarter team and one of the best 4th quarter teams in terms of scoring. Now they start semi decent with 16 1st half points and we don't score after that. It is shake your head bad. Can we ever get a full game of execution ?

Reaction Score
"They must have have homecoming parties planned on campus."

a very dated perspective! maybe off campus but not in the afternoon.

Reaction Score
That was all due to the ridiculous chinese fire drill BS that the coaching staff seems to have fallen in love with on every red zone scoring play and every time we're going to telegraph the QB sneak play on 3rd and 1. If I ever see that in another game I'll be lucky to have a functioning TV set afterward. That is the stupidest play calling nonsense I've ever seen at any level of organized football.

Spot. freaking. on. I'm all for gadget plays. No prob with the halfback option pass from Johnson that didn't work. But you'll notice they didn't run a gasser out on to the field to set it up. No prob w/hurry-up either. But the fake FGs and quick sneaks have been executed in such a way the chances for failure (penalties for illegal motion, not being set, not enough guys on the line) are greatly, greatly increased.

Reaction Score
I went numb when UConn had UCF with a 3rd & long (12-15 yds.) at the UConn 20, flushed the UCF qb out of the pocket, & he threw that off the wrong footed wobbly duck toward the UCF sideline, seemingly out of bounds to avoid a sack. The UConn db just watched that ball & the UCF receiver made an "If you don't want it, I'll take it" play for the first down. Then a lightning strike touchdown pass ensued. Wife said see you later, I'm going back to the truck to warm up. Can't believe that UConn's dbs play so soft.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I went numb when UConn had UCF with a 3rd & long (12-15 yds.) at the UConn 20, flushed the UCF qb out of the pocket, & he threw that off the wrong footed wobbly duck toward the UCF sideline, seemingly out of bounds to avoid a sack. The UConn db just watched that ball & the UCF receiver made an "If you don't want it, I'll take it" play for the first down. Then a lightning strike touchdown pass ensued. Wife said see you later, I'm going back to the truck to warm up. Can't believe that UConn's dbs play so soft.

I am sure this is mentioned in 50 other threads..but the defensive strategy needs to change. BD seemed very frustrated that they didn't create any turnovers...and I hope that frustration creates change. Everyone comments on UConn's soft coverage...I am not sure how you create turnovers with that coverage. I don't know what the completion percentage is against UConn, but I am willing to bet it is one of the best (worst for UConn) in the country. All year long, opposing QBs just look for the short pass and hit it time after time. A true 5 ft 11 170 lb freshman from Hawaii came into the Rent in the cold, wind and rain and had a career passing day completed 29-45 for 317 yards and 3 tds...and no picks...rushed 8 times for 25 yards...and no fumbles.

Coach...the play you talk about in this post gets my vote as most annoying play of the year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't disagree, except in my conclusion. I am reluctant to chalk up the fact that this team has now lost three games where it was probably the better team, to bad luck or fate. I've been positive on HCBD all along, but I am losing patience. There are simple adjustments that seem obvious to those of us watching, and we don't make them. It's not the same thing all the time, it's different things, but each time, the team isn't in the best position to win games.

As for the players. QB play has to be better..mostly mentally, not physically. Overall team speed, especially on D, is lacking.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Finally, our penultimate drive. 4th and 4 in the red zone. BS runs right, lunges, looks like he got inches short of the 15 yard line, which would have been a first down. Instead, he's marked about a foot and a half back, just short. We see a replay. Again, it seems to confirm he had the first down. No reversal.
I sit in 240 row 2. I thought live and even after the replay that he didn't get it. Wasn't sure if he dove too early or stumbled and that was the best he could do. The 1st down marker was right on the 15 yard line and he looked a good 6 inches short. I thought it was the right call, unfortunately. I did not watch the TV replay as I often do. Caveat this all by saying that although I don't drink in the stadium, I do take my fair share of liquid painkillers before the game, so my memory may not be 100%.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention it was a great post as always. Always look forward to your take on things.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I watched on TV and have to say that we looked pretty good for most of the game. A few coaching brain-cramps (1 wasted time-out due to a slow play enter, fake field goal, at least 1 too many QB sneaks). There is no doubt that we looked a lot better than we did in the first 2 games of the year, and light years better than 2 years ago. I put our chances at a bowl game at 50-50, but I think we will be competitive in all of our remaining games. If we win 3 of them (and one of the Ws is BC), I will call the season a success.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thanks again for another great post game write up.

Contrary to the loudest voices here I do think wacky Bob has shown some progress. The offense has evolved quite a bit from week one. The results aren't what we wanted, but I think the schemes now fit the actual talent rather than before what schemes fit the talent on paper.

Moreover, the playbook has been expanding, which can only happen if we keep the current staff. Tossing Verducci would likely result in substantial down time adapting to a new system. More progress is needed, but there is enough to keep rowing rather than turning ashore. Part of the problem is the talent, BS clearly has a ceiling and it has been reached.

There are a lot of interesting players redshirting this year. I think between out budget problems and the potential talent in his 2016 recruiting class he will easily get a chance at a full season in 2017. After that all bets off.

If we lose out the remainder of this year I would expect Benedict to require Diaco to insert a Weist type guy into the staff to better position the school for an in season replacement last we did with PP if Diaco is failing next year.

We'll also have to see how this recruiting class goes, he needs to get back to recruiting undersized speedy players vs size. Speed kills. Prototypes cannot always get to the ball in time.

Last thought, i If they lose the next two games Garret Anderson should get a look for finish the season. I would burn the redshirt of Donovan Williams if he is showing anything in practice. How does USF feel about playing their true freshman QB? Pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
We lost because Mr. 2-10 is a terrible game coach.

His clock management is at the 000 level. The fact a receiver got behind us for a score with one second left in the first half is another example he doesn't understand game situations or the clock. That was a 4-point swing at a minimum.

He never uses the TEs in the red zone. On the last four offensive plays of the game. The only receiver targeted was Thomas. It was either Thomas scores or no one does. BTW, Thomas dropped a very catchable ball in the end zone. He drops a pass a game and sometimes it's a very critical one. But I digress, Thomas is not the problem, he is a terrific player. The problem is that we stink in the red zone, the lack of feel for the game permeates everything this staff does but it kills us in the red zone.

The overall game plan lacks imagination but it is interspersed with with moments of sheer lunacy. If 2-10 took all the practice time he wastes on fake FGs and spent them on punt returns, he would receive a much better return on his investment of time I liked the Johnson option pass but once again, he doesn't have a feel for when to run it. You run that Ron Johnson option pass at the 20-yard line not the five. There's not enough room when you're that close.

We gave up another 95-yard drive this week. When we pin a team inside their own five yard line, they have us right were they want us.

He used another TO to get us lined up correctly.

Had multiple false starts at home in an empty stadium. How does that happen?

Worse of all, he blamed the loss on "execution" bringing back less than fond memories of the Edsall era. That really hurt.

This is another game where I thought we had the talent advantage on our side. We lost because we have a poor game coach. With a good coach this team is 6-2. In the last couple of weeks he did seem to care about winning. He has no idea how to do it. But at least he is finally talking about winning. Perhaps he is finally understanding that winning is more important than culture and sound bites.

Reaction Score
One correction, it wasn't a DB it was Junior Joseph. It was anot incredibly lucky play. I don't think there was much Joseph could do about it. He was in perfect position, but the ball sort of lollipopped over his head into the RBs hands.

Incredibly frustrating to watch it happen, but super lucky as well. we never seem to get those types of plays go our way.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I'm glad BizLaw looked at this game through a more positive lens than I did. It reminded me of the fact that even though I feel we've blown 3 games we should have had, if we were to finish 7-5 with a win @ BC, I would consider this a successful season.

Only one thing left to do. Win out. And we can do it...
I can see clearly now the rain is gone

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, except in my conclusion. I am reluctant to chalk up the fact that this team has now lost three games where it was probably the better team, to bad luck or fate. I've been positive on HCBD all along, but I am losing patience. There are simple adjustments that seem obvious to those of us watching, and we don't make them. It's not the same thing all the time, it's different things, but each time, the team isn't in the best position to win games.

As for the players. QB play has to be better..mostly mentally, not physically. Overall team speed, especially on D, is lacking.

To be clear, I didn't blame the Navy or Syracuse losses to fate. Far from it. Saturday, however, seemed to me like if we played that game that afternoon ten times, we woud have won most of them.

Reaction Score
I sit in 240 row 2. I thought live and even after the replay that he didn't get it. Wasn't sure if he dove too early or stumbled and that was the best he could do. The 1st down marker was right on the 15 yard line and he looked a good 6 inches short. I thought it was the right call, unfortunately. I did not watch the TV replay as I often do. Caveat this all by saying that although I don't drink in the stadium, I do take my fair share of liquid painkillers before the game, so my memory may not be 100%.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention it was a great post as always. Always look forward to your take on things.

I agree with you where he landed. I thought the sticks ended one foot in front of the 16, and not all the way at the 15.

Reaction Score
We lost because Mr. 2-10 is a terrible game coach.

His clock management is at the 000 level. The fact a receiver got behind us for a score with one second left in the first half is another example he doesn't understand game situations or the clock. That was a 4-point swing at a minimum.

He never uses the TEs in the red zone. On the last four offensive plays of the game. The only receiver targeted was Thomas. It was either Thomas scores or no one does. BTW, Thomas dropped a very catchable ball in the end zone. He drops a pass a game and sometimes it's a very critical one. But I digress, Thomas is not the problem, he is a terrific player. The problem is that we stink in the red zone, the lack of feel for the game permeates everything this staff does but it kills us in the red zone.

The overall game plan lacks imagination but it is interspersed with with moments of sheer lunacy. If 2-10 took all the practice time he wastes on fake FGs and spent them on punt returns, he would receive a much better return on his investment of time I liked the Johnson option pass but once again, he doesn't have a feel for when to run it. You run that Ron Johnson option pass at the 20-yard line not the five. There's not enough room when you're that close.

We gave up another 95-yard drive this week. When we pin a team inside their own five yard line, they have us right were they want us.

He used another TO to get us lined up correctly.

Had multiple false starts at home in an empty stadium. How does that happen?

Worse of all, he blamed the loss on "execution" bringing back less than fond memories of the Edsall era. That really hurt.

This is another game where I thought we had the talent advantage on our side. We lost because we have a poor game coach. With a good coach this team is 6-2. In the last couple of weeks he did seem to care about winning. He has no idea how to do it. But at least he is finally talking about winning. Perhaps he is finally understanding that winning is more important than culture and sound bites.

Can't think of a more perfect example of your blame the coach for everything philosophy than this. Ask Robinson IV if there was anything the coaches could have done in a "just keep your man out of the end zone" play. He had all sorts of help deep to the middle. The one thing he can't do is give up leverage long to the outside. He did. You think he's going to blame the coaches for that?

God, you're insufferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak