The View From Section 241 -- UCF | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be clear, I didn't blame the Navy or Syracuse losses to fate. Far from it. Saturday, however, seemed to me like if we played that game that afternoon ten times, we woud have won most of them.

I didn't say you did, but I saw enough similarities. Navy and Syracuse each turned on a few plays, which easily could have gone the other way.

Ironically, the wet field hurt us. On a dry field, our pass rush, which collapsed their OL consistently, would have gotten to the QB and sacked him several times. Instead they slipped all over the place, while he danced around like Fran Tarkinton and seemingly never lost his footing. It was really the story of the game, along with our red zone futility. Can anyone explain why our TEs are never targeted in the red zone?

Reaction Score
Can't think of a more perfect example of your blame the coach for everything philosophy than this. Ask Robinson IV if there was anything the coaches could have done in a "just keep your man out of the end zone" play. He had all sorts of help deep to the middle. The one thing he can't do is give up leverage long to the outside. He did. You think he's going to blame the coaches for that?

God, you're insufferable.

Are you serious? The problem was the defense we played. We should have had three deep. Did you watch the game?

Robinson was one on one and the receiver got behind him. Not completely Robinson''s fault. But completely the wrong defense to be in at the moment.

Mr. 2-10 has no feel for the game. The one thing that had to be stopped was a deflating TD. He just doesn't get it. You're excusing the inexcusable.

BTW there was a second receiver beating his man deep just inside of Robinson.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? The problem was the defense we played. We should have had three deep. Did you watch the game?

Robinson was one on one and the receiver got behind him. Not completely Robinson''s fault. But completely the wrong defense to be in at the moment.

Mr. 2-10 has no feel for the game. The one thing that had to be stopped was a deflating TD. He just doesn't get it.

We had at least one extra DB in and were playing prevent. If JRIV pushed him to the middle he had help. He didn't.

Reaction Score
We had at least one extra DB in and were playing prevent. If JRIV pushed him to the middle he had help. He didn't.
Really, geez Louise.

We had a single safety deep. They were in four wide. We rushed six (in this shot one is hidden behind white #58). They basically ran four verticals. Robinson played the slot man, got picked and beat.

We rushed six when we should have rushed four and had seven deep, not five.

Thank you.

ucftd.jpg

The play in question is at 1:55 watch it yourself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They should have treated it like it was the last play of the game. Maybe with three down linemen. The situational decision making of this stuff is astounding. That formation might not even exist in the playbook.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Really, geez Louise.

We had a single safety deep. They were in four wide. We rushed six (in this shot one is hidden behind white #58). They basically ran four verticals. Robinson played the slot man, got picked and beat.

We rushed six when we should have rushed four and had seven deep, not five.

Thank you.

View attachment 16345

The play in question is at 1:55 watch it yourself.

So they should have played prevent and overlooked the old adage that 'prevent only prevents you from winning." Lets face it, had they rushed four which would have given Milton 10 seconds because we probably wouldn't have generated a pass rush, he still would have completed a TD pass people would be screaming that we should have blitzed. I thought the compliant around here is that we dont blitz enough, don't keep the opposing team guessing enough with our blitz and coverage schemes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In watching the highlight tape, Milton connected TD passes twice when we rushed only 3 or 4. We lost on those plays because Milton has a quick release and accurate arm displaying the right touch/loft for the routes run by the receivers. Plus our DBs looked a bit slow in each of the highlights. We need a speed training program in the off season, less with the irons, more with sprints.

Reaction Score
So they should have played prevent and overlooked the old adage that 'prevent only prevents you from winning." Lets face it, had they rushed four which would have given Milton 10 seconds because we probably wouldn't have generated a pass rush, he still would have completed a TD pass people would be screaming that we should have blitzed. I thought the compliant around here is that we dont blitz enough, don't keep the opposing team guessing enough with our blitz and coverage schemes.
Whatt? We line up with four DBs on four WRs running verticals, our safety is in the middle and doesn't help with anyone. We rush six and don't get to the QB. And your theory is that we give up a TD no matter what defense we played.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't see many comments on the obvious holding calls that were missed by the refs. I counted at least 4 where the UCF QB was scrambling and our guys were flat out held.

@upstater...back me up on this, will you. ;)
Yeah it was mind blowing that their QB spent 75% of the game running around like he was trying to catch a butterfly and not once did one of our guys get held.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Whatt? We line up with four DBs on four WRs running verticals, our safety is in the middle and doesn't help with anyone. We rush six and don't get to the QB. And your theory is that we give up a TD no matter what defense we played.

Well, in the two earlier TD passes we rushed 3 or 4 and Milton still connected for TD passes. So, playing prevent hadnt been the lock down we hoped for the last two times down the field.

We got beat by a remarkably accurate true freshman who has good field vision, throws a more catchable ball and has a quicker release (doesn't need to wind up like BS).

BS has been a great QB for us, but we to recognized he has peaked.

On D - we got beat because we are a bit slow. Coaching can't fix slow. And FWIW, we did limit a fairly potent offense to 24 points. The offense is what came up short, settling for field goals instead of scoring TDs.

Reaction Score
Well, in the two earlier TD passes we rushed 3 or 4 and Milton still connected for TD passes. So, playing prevent hadnt been the lock down we hoped for the last two times down the field.

We got beat by a remarkably accurate true freshman who has good field vision, throws a more catchable ball and has a quicker release (doesn't need to wind up like BS).

BS has been a great QB for us, but we to recognized he has peaked.

On D - we got beat because we are a bit slow. Coaching can't fix slow. And FWIW, we did limit a fairly potent offense to 24 points. The offense is what came up short, settling for field goals instead of scoring TDs.

If we came close to covering that play the QB would have throw the ball away and they would have tried a FG.

We got beat on that play because of a pick, an offensive pass interference that wasn't called (it happens). It wasn't, in thsis case, because of speed. Regardless, if we had played seven deep and rushed four there would have been a guy behind the ball and the pass would not have been thrown.

2-10 had no situational awareness. He played the wrong defense. He changed the momentum of the game away from his team. It's on him.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we came close to covering that play the QB would have throw the ball away and they would have tried a FG.

We got beat on that play because of a pick, an offensive pass interference that wasn't called (it happens). It wasn't, in thsis case, because of speed. Regardless, if we had played seven deep and rushed four there would have been a guy behind the ball and the pass would not have been thrown.

2-10 had no situational awareness. He played the wrong defense. He changed the momentum of the game away from his team. It's on him.

If you are stating that you'd rather get beat rushing 3 or 4 in that situation like they did the previous two TD plays, then okay - can't argue against your philosophy other than to point out it didnt work the last two times at that distance from the end zone. The first two TD passes had us only rushing 3 or 4.

Reaction Score
If you are stating that you'd rather get beat rushing 3 or 4 in that situation like they did the previous two TD plays, then okay - can't argue against your philosophy other than to point out it didnt work the last two times at that distance from the end zone. The first two TD passes had us only rushing 3 or 4.

First, no, I did not state that. Don't pretend I said things I did not.

Second, that was their second TD. Not their third. And it bears no relationship to their first TD because there were only 8 seconds left in the half. You are guilty of the same thing that 2-10 is, you are showing no situational awareness. With 8 seconds left on the clock, if he throws it in bounds either the clock runs out or they call a TO and kick a FG. If he throws it to the sideline, and the guy gets out they kick a FG. If he runs around a while and throws it incomplete the half runs out.

The one thing the Huskies cannot allow in that situation is the ball to be thrown to the end zone and caught. The defensive alignment made that outcome possible.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First, no, I did not state that. Don't pretend I said things I did not.

Second, that was their second TD. Not their third. And it bears no relationship to their first TD because there were only 8 seconds left in the half. You are guilty of the same thing that 2-10 is, you are showing no situational awareness. With 8 seconds left on the clock, if he throws it in bounds either the clock runs out or they call a TO and kick a FG. If he throws it to the sideline, and the guy gets out they kick a FG. If he runs around a while and throws it incomplete the half runs out.

The one thing the Huskies cannot allow in that situation is the ball to be thrown to the end zone and caught. The defensive alignment made that outcome possible.

I did mix up the order of TDs. However, on the second TD with the WR pick play, I'm not convinced a another safety would have been able to defend that play. The ball placement was superb.

Reaction Score
I did mix up the order of TDs. However, on the second TD with the WR pick play, I'm not convinced a another safety would have been able to defend that play. The ball placement was superb.
It was, but my suggestion was three deep. That should have prevented that play as each deep defensive back covers a third of the field and move to any player that is getting beyond the shorter DBs. Yep, hindsight is 20/20. But isn't that why he is paid millions to be our coach. And why, dear God, is a guy who coaches conservatively , if not downright scared, on almost every other play,rushing six guys in that situation?

Reaction Score
That was a tough loss. Really empty stadium, notwithstanding the announced attendance. We saw three bus loads of students heading back to campus before kickoff. (Yes, I know you are young and might have taken the bus out without noticing it was cold and raining but come on guys.). A tailgate that got very, very wet, even under the old canopy that I bought at Sports Authority before the Syracuse game in '05 and is so hard to assemble that I simply wait for my brother and law to show up. (Yes, there is a reason why Jewish lawyers should marry goyim and it's useful brothers in laws). And then a really, really tough loss because it was a game we needed and a game that, coming into the season, looked like a sure win. But, having said all that, I seem to have a different view of it to a large extent than others. I thought we played well overall (red zone finishing being the exception that cost us the game), and it just wasn't our day. Let me explain.

Today's game came down to 4 plays in my view -- 3 calls and 1 gust of wind. All four went against us, and that was the difference between winning and losing. Let's take them in order. Up 3-0 early, we have a 3rd and long from the red zone. Ron Jon takes a handoff, moving left laterally, and all of us curse because the play is going nowhere. Then he stops and throws lefty (who knew) to an open Brian Lemelle in the endzone. The defender, who never found the ball, came in low and early and took Lemelle out before he could make a play on the ball. It seemed like one of the more obvious pass interference calls of the season. For reasons I couldn't fathom, no flag. Instead of, presumably, going to 10-0, we settle for 6-0. And I haven't seen anyone give credit for the play call, as if the coaches should know they wouldn't draw a flag. Second play, up 16-7 late in the 1st half, we stop them on a (I forget) 3rd or 4th and long, giving us a 9 point lead into the locker room, different game. But Diggs gets called for roughing a passer who was way out of the pocket, and John Robinson IV is then burned deep. I have no clue if it was or wasn't deserving of a penalty as I still haven't seen the hit (someone who wasn't there feel free to weigh in). Seven point swing. Third play was on their TD drive to start the 3rd Q and give them the lead they never relinquished. Third and long, we chase the QB out of the pocket and he looks to chuck one 10 yards out of bounds on the left sideline. Joseph, covering the receiver, gives up on the play. The wind knocks the ball down, it floats to the receiver on the sideline, and with Joseph having stopped running he gets the 1st down. 7 point swing. Finally, our penultimate drive. 4th and 4 in the red zone. BS runs right, lunges, looks like he got inches short of the 15 yard line, which would have been a first down. Instead, he's marked about a foot and a half back, just short. We see a replay. Again, it seems to confirm he had the first down. No reversal. We lose. So to me, we played good D for about 40 minutes on each end of their three consecutive TD drives, we played good offense throughout, just not finishing, everything goes against us and we lose. Sometimes, life just sucks. But I think we played more than well enough to win. Also, sometimes you have to give your opponent credit. Running a high risk offense with a freshman QB from Hawaii and a roster of Floridians on a wet, cold, blustery New England day, they didn't turn it over once. Credit to them.

Specials won the return game, but Bobby P missed a FG that cost us dearly (althought to be fair he was going to miss a makeable attempt eventually), Wain had his worst game and we failed to move quickly enough on the fake FG in the first half that would have worked if we were a little quicker and had avoided the penalty.

Fairfield County Fan discussed this earlier today, but on D we needed more speed. During the stretch when they scored on 3 straight drives, we could chase their QB out of the pocket but we couldn't contain him in the pocket and keep him from having forever to throw. As I've been saying during the offseason, we are too slow. Ormsby was playing hard, but just couldn't contain or keep up. I would have moved him into the DT rotation, played Stapleton and Luke at the ends, played only my two fastest LBs (Diggs and Levenberry) and played a 5th DB. Take them out of their game and make them run up the gut. Meyers is a friggin wall, but it doesn't matter in a game when you have to get the ball out of the hands of a fast, scrambling QB. Other than that, there were times when I thought what would happen if you took away the cushions, but we also got beat long too often so who knows. In fairness to the staff, you would have thought that a tipped ball, a wind blown ball, a receiver trying to make a move with a wet ball, would cause turnovers yesterday. They didn't. Oh -- and while Obi has been great the last few games, and was good yesterday, there was old Obi agains, whiffing on an interception attempt and turning a 15 yard pass over the middle into a long gain.

On offense, I think folks are so disappointed by the loss that they are missing the obvious, which is that is probably the best game our OL played in years. With both pass protection and run blocking. We moved up and down the field very smartly the vast bulk of the game. But we couldn't finish. Newsome and Thomas were both great, and I thought BS played well. With better protection, you could see him make more reads. But other than Thomas, I don't see our receivers running free all over the field. We miss Mayala more than I thought we would, and I don't think Bloom was himself after he took a shot.

So that's where I am. An awful loss, that will be hard to overcome, but I view it more as one of those things than something that tells me terrible stuff about HCBD, BS or our program. I saw as much good as bad, and just saw us as unable to overcome a number of bad breaks. So barring a collapse or a major improvement, I'm not wasting time talking about the program over the long term the next few weeks. I will root for this team every week, and see if we can't still at least match last year's record. And beat BC.

You will now return to your regularly scheduled program (during which you can continue to take your frustration out on everyone involved).
Good summary, and it was nice meeting you at the game!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I actually thought the team played OK overall, but I don't think there is much point in doing a lot of analysis when the coach is so self-destructive.

Reaction Score
The View From Everywhere....Agree with BL and his usual good analyzation of the sad situation. Also agree with most the comments here on his as usual good break down of the game.
Just wanted to add Bobby was not himself pregame at all. The press pressure of if the silly Conflict Trophy might have taken a toll. He did not wear his Santa Claus pants, nor did he engage the fans at the Huskie Walk for the first time ever that I know of. I have only missed a couple and he always does the same as the players with a high five or fist bump. He walked down the middle with a lot more than the fans on his mind.

Reaction Score
Coach Vineyard Vines should repurpose the conflict trophy into a regatta one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member