The QB is not skilled enough to succeed at this level | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The QB is not skilled enough to succeed at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i don't necessarily disagree, im sure diaco would ideally like a game manager that can complete passes when asked to but at this time we have BS who i think can be a great QB but he is in the wrong system. he needs a OC that will capitalize on his play making ability along with capable skill position support.

"BS who I think can be a great QB" - huh?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately with our OT line, you perhaps need someone back there who can run for his life.

Reaction Score
It looked the same from 240. I had wondered to my group if it was time to give someone else a look. Maybe catch a little lightning in a bottle. But in a mild defense of BS, he gets 0 time with that crappy O-Line and may be suffering from a football version of PTSD. He's had no o-line for all his time here.

By his own admission, Diaco stated that Garrett Anderson throws better than BS. Brandon Bisack looked very good in the Spring game and Tyler Davis has many good qualities. Donovan Williams is in the storage container but is highly regarded. That said, shake things up and get the offense moving. No one, I say NO ONE is going to question experimentation at this point.

Diaco: QB Job Up For Grabs Between Shirreffs, Anderson; UConn 4th In AAC East Poll

"Garrett has the strongest arm of the group," Diaco said. "He can really spin it. So that's a piece that tilts him above Bryant. … He's very mature. He's been married for a few years. He's a family man. He's just operating at a different level. … His next step is to focus on quarterbacking our offense at UConn and not trying to jam the ball in there with his arm or his leg if it's opposite of what we need. The person who takes that next step the fastest is who will get an opportunity to play more."

UConn Coaches Say Garrett Anderson Has More Value Than Typical Backup QB

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
By his own admission, Diaco stated that Garrett Anderson throws better than BS. Brandon Bisack looked very good in the Spring game and Tyler Davis has many good qualities. Donovan Williams is in the storage container but is highly regarded. That said, shake things up and get the offense moving. No one, I say NO ONE is going to question experimentation at this point.

Diaco: QB Job Up For Grabs Between Shirreffs, Anderson; UConn 4th In AAC East Poll

"Garrett has the strongest arm of the group," Diaco said. "He can really spin it. So that's a piece that tilts him above Bryant. … He's very mature. He's been married for a few years. He's a family man. He's just operating at a different level. … His next step is to focus on quarterbacking our offense at UConn and not trying to jam the ball in there with his arm or his leg if it's opposite of what we need. The person who takes that next step the fastest is who will get an opportunity to play more."

UConn Coaches Say Garrett Anderson Has More Value Than Typical Backup QB

He really needs to try it and see what happens. Even if it does nothing but motivate Shirreffs not to take off like a scalded rabbit before going through his reads, it would be worth it.

Reaction Score
He really needs to try it and see what happens. Even if it does nothing but motivate Shirreffs not to take off like a scalded rabbit before going through his reads, it would be worth it.

Unfortunately, the time to try it was the first four games - not the next three.

Most except the extremely recalcitrant can see the offense continues to evolve (we are running more shotgun and 4 receiver sets in the past weeks than we have in a long time). They keep looking for plays that BS is comfortable running (OCFV painted the picture last week that they have to remove plays from the game plan because BS is not comfortable/capable of executing and add plays that he is comfortable/capable of executing). The problem with that in my simple mind is that they may be good for BS but puts an injury challenged O-line into scenarios that they are not capable of executing. Everyone seems to have plays they think would work after the fact - but I don't know what has been tried during practice and scratched.

Beyond frustrating for all...

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the time to try it was the first four games - not the next three.

Most except the extremely recalcitrant can see the offense continues to evolve (we are running more shotgun and 4 receiver sets in the past weeks than we have in a long time). They keep looking for plays that BS is comfortable running (OCFV painted the picture last week that they have to remove plays from the game plan because BS is not comfortable/capable of executing and add plays that he is comfortable/capable of executing). The problem with that in my simple mind is that they may be good for BS but puts an injury challenged O-line into scenarios that they are not capable of executing. Everyone seems to have plays they think would work after the fact - but I don't know what has been tried during practice and scratched.

Good point.. and definitely frustrating...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Yup. The first 4 games were all winnable games against teams with similar or less talent than our roster. If we were going to play any 2s on the depth chart or try any sort of new strategy, that opportunity just sailed by. The next 3 games are against the 3 toughest teams on our schedule - 3 games that smell like very bad Ls right now.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
"BS who I think can be a great QB" - huh?

Bryant Shirreffs.

I think he can be a great QB but the offensive system we run does not highlight the things he does do well.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
BS is a below average QB, who holds the offense back to an extent. I can't wait for the Williams era to begin.

Reaction Score
Of course it is. My bad. But since I'm not ripping the guy I think I get a little leeway. Verducci on the other hand. . . . .
No leeway when you are trying to correct everyone...LOL

Reaction Score
Diaco is the wrong fit for this century.
No...as soon as we get 5 star defensive players we can move him to DC...he can then get the Broyles Award again for himself and UConn's defense.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I am starting to believe he is having difficulty seeing over the line. I said this to some friends somewhat jokingly last year but....he has zero passing lanes and at 6'1" he appears to not be able to see a clear field. Jokes aside, I do think is a big thing.

Reaction Score
I think BS is a serviceable QB. The scheme really handcuffs the offense. The option read from the shotgun is a losing play 2 out of 3 plays. seems like we are constantly in 2 and 10 or 3 and 9 due to the scheme

Reaction Score
Tyler Lorezen all over again. Maybe he will be as good his senior year.

Reaction Score
In other news, Blake Barnett is transferring out of Alabama. Google it; just saying. That being said, sounds like the staff is pretty high on Donovan Williams as far as the future goes.

Reaction Score
Davis is 2 for 2 with both throws right on the money and he has height.:) If he had made the fake FG throw against Mizzou last year we would have won. The lack of accurate throws on deep passes really hurts our offense. The miss to Noel heading to the scoreboard end Saturday was one we needed. This needs to get fixed.

Reaction Score
I am starting to believe he is having difficulty seeing over the line. I said this to some friends somewhat jokingly last year but....he has zero passing lanes and at 6'1" he appears to not be able to see a clear field. Jokes aside, I do think is a big thing.

FWIW QB UConn is facing Thursday is 5 foot 11.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was just looking around to see what Chad Pennington was doing these days. He's coaching a middle school team in KY. Seems he's committed to staying around that area (close to Marshall). But damn, I'd love to get him as a QB coach or O-coordinator.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Balls late.....Balls behind.....Balls high.....Balls overthrown.....from Section 124 it looked horrendous.
Maybe if the O line afforded him some time?
Listen is the guy a prototype D1 P5 QB? No but he is really all the team has.
They need a 6'4" stud who can throw the ball
QB isn't the biggest problem at UConn
I look at that Diaco labeled stacked defensive secondary as the biggest trouble spot - absolutely zero smarts, zero toughness and overall toast
Throw in the defensive ends and the offensive line and there's a lot of concerns
If the QB was the only issue......................................-

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought he broke his wrist? Did he do both?

I remember him hurting his knee against Louisville and having shoulder issues - I don't remember a broken wrist. It's all pretty fuzzy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom