The QB is not skilled enough to succeed at this level | The Boneyard

The QB is not skilled enough to succeed at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Balls late.....Balls behind.....Balls high.....Balls overthrown.....from Section 124 it looked horrendous.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It looked the same from 240. I had wondered to my group if it was time to give someone else a look. Maybe catch a little lightning in a bottle. But in a mild defense of BS, he gets 0 time with that crappy O-Line and may be suffering from a football version of PTSD. He's had no o-line for all his time here.

Reaction Score
He plays hard, he just has zero QB skills. Unfortunately he has very few talented skill position players to pull in any ball so it looks even worse that it probably is. I'd move on immediately if they have the future guy ready to go.

Reaction Score
He isn't the answer. Terrible throws, locks onto primary receiver only, and isn't the greatest runner (OK, but not terrific).

Reaction Score
He plays hard, he just has zero QB skills. Unfortunately he has very few talented skill position players to pull in any ball so it looks even worse that it probably is. I'd move on immediately if they have the future guy ready to go.
JSM1970???? I must be watching a different team- NO Skilled players (Are you for real/??)
He has 3 capable TE's including Tyler Davis (who went flat out vertical to make a great catch inside the 5, at least 4 skilled wide outs, and 2 capable running backs who can receive out of the backfield.

Reaction Score
I said few, not none. I think Davis and Thomas are skilled, Newsome is too but doesn't catch a ton out of backfield. Other teams have loads of WRs, TEs that the QB can just chuck it up and they go get. It masks average or even poor QB play.

JSM1970???? I must be watching a different team- NO Skilled players (Are you for real/??)
He has 3 capable TE's including Tyler Davis (who went flat out vertical to make a great catch inside the 5, at least 4 skilled wide outs, and 2 capable running backs who can receive out of the backfield.

Reaction Score
Agreed, if they have someone they think can be the future player let's just have him play now unless he is on a RS. He isn't an effective runner at all. Lamar Jackson is a good runner.

He isn't the answer. Terrible throws, locks onto primary receiver only, and isn't the greatest runner (OK, but not terrific).

Reaction Score
Agreed, if they have someone they think can be the future player let's just have him play now unless he is on a RS. He isn't an effective runner at all. Lamar Jackson is a good runner.
He does have decent, even very good receivers, including tight ends. but Touchdown Husky said it best. He locks on to primary receiver and is not a great passer.

Oline finally faced a defense it could handle a good part of the time and Shirrefs had time to use passing game. He was not nearly as good as needed and threw a couple of bozo passes to thwart drives.

Reaction Score
Balls late.....Balls behind.....Balls high.....Balls overthrown.....from Section 124 it looked horrendous.
He definitely was off on his throws.Too much air when he was throwing with the wind.He had an easy td pass in the end zone, but over threw the receiver.

Reaction Score
I want to disagree with you, and the only reason I don't, is that the last 5 times I thought, "Well the backup could be better," UConn never failed to disappoint me. They're the model of consistency in that sense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are a northern school in a southern mid-major conference. Shirrefs is about as good as it is going to get.

The offense had over 400 yards with only 1 turnover, and Shirref was responsible for almost 300 of those yards. He isn't a Heisman candidate, but that is a solid day by any measure.

The team's problems are primarily schematic with some execution issues. This is a poorly coached team doing the best they can despite being handicapped by the moron on the sideline.

Reaction Score
He does have decent, even very good receivers, including tight ends. but Touchdown Husky said it best. He locks on to primary receiver and is not a great passer.

Oline finally faced a defense it could handle a good part of the time and Shirrefs had time to use passing game. He was not nearly as good as needed and threw a couple of bozo passes to thwart drives.

See, saying he is not a great thrower is right. Saying he locks on one receiver is right. He didn't have a good day yesterday.

But can we go 8-4 at this level with our schedule with him? Absolutely. He is so far from the thing holding us back, that we'd run out of Internet space before where on our list of problems he ranks.

Reaction Score

part of the problem is the TEs aren't being targeted enough. Like, say, in the red zone.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
See, saying he is not a great thrower is right. Saying he locks on one receiver is right. He didn't have a good day yesterday.

But can we go 8-4 at this level with our schedule with him? Absolutely. He is so far from the thing holding us back, that we'd run out of Internet space before where on our list of problems he ranks.

I mostly agree. But I beginning to wonder if he is the wrong fit for the offense we are running. You can look at that either way, that the play calling should adjust to him, but I'm not sure the plays are the problem as much as his execution of them (along with the OL of course). On his crazy flip scramble for a 2 yard first down, Tyler Davis was open down the middle with nobody within 10 yards of him...it was, if completed, probably a TD. I admire the hell out of his toughness, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Anderson can do.

Reaction Score
I mostly agree. But I beginning to wonder if he is the wrong fit for the offense we are running. You can look at that either way, that the play calling should adjust to him, but I'm not sure the plays are the problem as much as his execution of them (along with the OL of course). On his crazy flip scramble for a 2 yard first down, Tyler Davis was open down the middle with nobody within 10 yards of him...it was, if completed, probably a TD. I admire the hell out of his toughness, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Anderson can do.
Diaco is the wrong fit for this school.

Reaction Score

I agree BS is not THE thing holding us back, there are many things doing that. But his inclination to run for 2 yards when there are receivers open and his lack of accuracy, especially beyond 15 yards and even when he has time are major factors in our inability to score points.

Reaction Score

If we go 6-2 rest of year will be quite an accomplishment. QB is the most important position and just the fact that to date he has 45% of carries and has thrown 50% of passes to one receiver says it all re what kind of a QB he is. Getting well into double digit starts so he is what he is - he makes everything harder re: fakes are very poor so roll outs always covered (like fumble), read option poor faking and decisions (almost always keeps and is not a "I hope he runs it" type athlete), moves into sacks, locks into 1 receiver, has not shown ability to throw long ball and WR's and TE's have made some great catches on very poor throws. Not saying we have better on the bench just that he is a big part of the problem. Defenses can run blitz on UConn all day with BS at QB and pay no price. Syracuse is a terrible defense and yet even in that game he needed to run himself 21 of 45 running plays and 14 of 28 passes to one WR - we are going to need the little league mercy rule against Houston.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I said few, not none. I think Davis and Thomas are skilled, Newsome is too but doesn't catch a ton out of backfield. Other teams have loads of WRs, TEs that the QB can just chuck it up and they go get. It masks average or even poor QB play.
Not at Pudue, BC, LSU, Georgia, Oregon St, Southern Cal, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Wake, South Carolina, BYU (Heisman talk last year) among others - BS is currently ranked 86 out of 121 and just behind the Clemson (heisman watch) Stanford, Wisconsin, Miss ST and A&M QB's -

I dont know how these QB are not just chucking it up with all the 4 and 5 star talent around them -

upload_2016-9-26_11-43-8.png

upload_2016-9-26_11-42-29.png

Reaction Score
Sherriff throws a very high number of short safe passes that inflate his stats. And Thomas run after the catch numbers are very very good.

Brian is a one read and run QB. He is an inaccurate down the field and on the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom