The QB is not skilled enough to succeed at this level | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The QB is not skilled enough to succeed at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He does have decent, even very good receivers, including tight ends. but Touchdown Husky said it best. He locks on to primary receiver and is not a great passer.

Oline finally faced a defense it could handle a good part of the time and Shirrefs had time to use passing game. He was not nearly as good as needed and threw a couple of bozo passes to thwart drives.

Eric Dungey locked on to his primary receiver all day ...

Reaction Score
Which time?
I believe it was the first half, it was on the non-student end of the field. I think it was Thomas who was behind the corner, no safety help, and already in the end zone. BS threw the ball five feet over his head for what would've been an easy TD. The receiver never had a chance to catch it. BS has a lot of skills, but his accuracy on Saturday, especially in downfield throws, was awful.

Reaction Score
Sherriff throws a very high number of short safe passes that inflate his stats. And Thomas run after the catch numbers are very very good.

Brian is a one read and run QB. He is an inaccurate down the field and on the move.
this

Reaction Score
Agreed, if they have someone they think can be the future player let's just have him play now unless he is on a RS. He isn't an effective runner at all. Lamar Jackson is a good runner.
Lamar Jackson is a good runner?

Reaction Score
Diaco is the wrong fit for this school.

I'm with biz on this. We could make a list from here to New Jersey before we came to Sherriffs as the problem. He is an averagish college quarterback. He isn't Dan Orlovsky but he isn't Tim Boyle either. If you line up all the starters in d1 he is probably in the middle third.

Reaction Score
Sherriff throws a very high number of short safe passes that inflate his stats. And Thomas run after the catch numbers are very very good.

Brian is a one read and run QB. He is an inaccurate down the field and on the move.

If we're going to criticize the guy can we at least get his name right. Bryant Sherriffs.

Reaction Score
We used to play football (touch football) on our street for hours. There was always one kid that could catch anything and no matter who the QB was, eventually, we cheated off our guy and tried to provide some defense on the kids getting all the balls.

When Syracuse got into the game, eventually you saw a concerted effort to take #5 Noel Thomas out of his game. And, that interception was a direct result of that. I don't know what is going on. Bryant Shirreffs runs so often; he targets Noel Thomas so often; we have seen that Myers, Mayala, now Davis can make plays; so, it's hard to think this is all on his coaches. He could look peripherally and someone has to be open. And, I am beyond blaming the line for all of this. He (as KGun showed us) has had slot guys totally uncovered. Just doesn't try.

Leads to ... remember the Tommy Myers TD on the Go route against Villanova. Remember the often used Wheel route that Verducci ran often for Newsome. Does this coaching staff have any of the film from last year? It seems they refuse to go to things that HAVE worked.

And what school is Diaco a fit for?

Reaction Score
BS throws the mid range pass quite well when his feet are set. He hasn't shown an ability to throw the long ball well this year but he really doesn't have a lot of time on most of his longer throws. The jury is still out on this skill but my guess he will never be more than average throwing the long ball. He also doesn't throw well while running for his life. Most quarterbacks don't do well in this area. I believe that BS is the best quarter we had here since Cody which of course is not a high bar. His lack of speed hurts him more than any problem he has throwing the ball. I also don't think Garret Anderson would be an upgrade based on what I observed in the spring game. I do think we can win a fair share of our games with BS at the helm with less called quarterback draws, more plays and/or passes where Newsome touches the ball, and more passes to Bloom and even Tyler Davis. More patience in the pocket by BS would also help. Its up to the coaching staff to work with the skills that our players have and get the most out of those players. A quarterback draw is good play to slow down the other team's pass rush but ceases to be a good call after you run that play 4 times in the first quarter. This team needs a lot more speed on both sides of the ball before it can make substantial improvement in its quality of play. Nevertheless, there is room for improvement with the players we have. I hope we see that improvement as the season goes on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We used to play football (touch football) on our street for hours. There was always one kid that could catch anything and no matter who the QB was, eventually, we cheated off our guy and tried to provide some defense on the kids getting all the balls.

When Syracuse got into the game, eventually you saw a concerted effort to take #5 Noel Thomas out of his game. And, that interception was a direct result of that. I don't know what is going on. Bryant Shirreffs runs so often; he targets Noel Thomas so often; we have seen that Myers, Mayala, now Davis can make plays; so, it's hard to think this is all on his coaches. He could look peripherally and someone has to be open. And, I am beyond blaming the line for all of this. He (as KGun showed us) has had slot guys totally uncovered. Just doesn't try.

Leads to ... remember the Tommy Myers TD on the Go route against Villanova. Remember the often used Wheel route that Verducci ran often for Newsome. Does this coaching staff have any of the film from last year? It seems they refuse to go to things that HAVE worked.

Are you sure they aren't calling those plays? How would we know? The QB runs on over 1/3 of the pass plays without a run option.

I agree on the defense against Cuse. After the opening bomb, it was disgraceful that we couldn't double and shut that guy down. Make them beat us some other way.

Reaction Score
BS throws the mid range pass quite well when his feet are set. He hasn't shown an ability to throw the long ball well this year but he really doesn't have a lot of time on most of his longer throws. The jury is still out on this skill but my guess he will never be more than average throwing the long ball. He also doesn't throw well while running for his life. Most quarterbacks don't do well in this area. I believe that BS is the best quarter we had here since Cody which of course is not a high bar. His lack of speed hurts him more than any problem he has throwing the ball. I also don't think Garret Anderson would be an upgrade based on what I observed in the spring game. I do think we can win a fair share of our games with BS at the helm with less called quarterback draws, more plays and/or passes where Newsome touches the ball, and more passes to Bloom and even Tyler Davis. More patience in the pocket by BS would also help. Its up to the coaching staff to work with the skills that our players have and get the most out of those players. A quarterback draw is good play to slow down the other team's pass rush but ceases to be a good call after you run that play 4 times in the first quarter. This team needs a lot more speed on both sides of the ball before it can make substantial improvement in its quality of play. Nevertheless, there is room for improvement with the players we have. I hope we see that improvement as the season goes on.

That is a very good post on all counts.

Reaction Score

In fairness, they tried to set up the wheel route to Newsome twice, and Syracuse was sitting on it both times. I don't think we saw it until this week because Newsome was pretty clearly not 100% physically.

Reaction Score

Ok I'll bite. What is a fair share of wins in next 8 games? I'm assuming that HCBD is at least as good a coach as you so he'll review your suggestions and implement the ones that make sense.

Reaction Score
We are a northern school in a southern mid-major conference. Shirrefs is about as good as it is going to get.

The offense had over 400 yards with only 1 turnover, and Shirref was responsible for almost 300 of those yards. He isn't a Heisman candidate, but that is a solid day by any measure.

The team's problems are primarily schematic with some execution issues. This is a poorly coached team doing the best they can despite being handicapped by the moron on the sideline.
Well, got to agree with you here. BS is an average college QB playing behind a below average OL with average receivers on a whole (Noel being exception) playing within a horrendously bad offensive scheme that reinforces everything they should not be doing. I give the kids credit for playing against their opponent and their own staff.

Reaction Score
He plays hard, he just has zero QB skills. Unfortunately he has very few talented skill position players to pull in any ball so it looks even worse that it probably is. I'd move on immediately if they have the future guy ready to go.
Thats why he transferred here from NC State. They wanted him to play fullback.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of course it is. My bad. But since I'm not ripping the guy I think I get a little leeway.

Sorry, you get no leeway here. You were criticizing something you did yourself. Yellow card.

Reaction Score
He and similar to Tyler Lorenzen has/had < 0 chance to play QB in the NFL, yet could have maybe had a chance playing a different position. Not sure why it's so important to have to play that position. I get the interest, but shouldn't these kids be thinking about their best chances longer term.

If Lorenzen stayed TE he might have had a chance to play that longer term and for real $$. Same with BS.

Thats why he transferred here from NC State. They wanted him to play fullback.

Reaction Score
Diaco is the wrong fit for this school.
I think we expected a mentality of aggression, more of an attacking style of a football team.. We don't and we won't have that with Diaco.... which, IMO, is a hard pill to swallow.... we can still be successful with his style, but with more experienced players along with more personnel that fit his style of play..

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

this x1000000

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I will say this about our QB situation.

I hope Donovan Williams is the real deal.

So far the Diaco quarterback recruits have been:

Shirreffs: Transferred here to play QB because someone else wanted him to be moved to fullback/tight end

Anderson: Moved last year to fullback because he couldn't beat out the other fullback playing QB in Shirreffs. Saw his only true playing time besides splitting reps at QB out of necessity at Temple last year as a H back/F back.

Davis: has been moved to F back/Tight End.

Williams: Taking snaps with the second team offense at practice recently and is redshirting.

Bisack: By all accounts a phenomenal scout team and backup quarterback that we could potentially use in a pinch. Think a longer term Garrett Anderson.

So we have 3 QB's who have either seen significant time at fullback/tight end or had to transfer because they were going to be moved to TE. A lot of the routes on our route tree and the style of passes that Diaco/OCFV seem to be set on running are going to require tall, strong armed, pro style quarterbacks that can make throws from hash to hash utilizing sail and flood patterns and other pro style sets. It requires the quarterback to be able to make good decisions at almost every point and essentially not lose the game by managing it and moving the offense down the field without turning the ball over. The play action passes will be more successful when we are able to run the ball more successfully. While we have good to great skill position players, we lack skill on the offensive line and I do not think our RB's are capable of pass blocking at the level necessary to give these routes time to develop.

I do not think it is fair to Bryant Shirreffs that he is running a system that does not best signal his strengths as a quarterback. This is kind of a square peg round hole situation. When we get into the shotgun and run screens/slants/quick outs/spread concepts and Shirreffs can utilize his mobility, he looks really good. When we are under center or in a more traditional shotgun set, Shirreffs struggles moving from read to read and takes off with his feet rather than moving from the primary receiver to the secondary receiver and so on.

We need to see how Diaco recruits the quarterback position for the next few years. The main that I think fans are frustrated is that if Shirreffs' strengths as a QB aren't what are necessary to run the type of offense you want to run, you need to modify your offense to fit his strengths in order to give yourself the best opportunity to win. More plays like pure zone read, speed option, QB power, slip screens, tunnel screens, middle screens, TE screens, and using routes like slants hitches and quick outs will allow Shirreffs to get the ball out faster and use his strengths as a QB while allowing him to make simple reads and decisions.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Agreed, if they have someone they think can be the future player let's just have him play now unless he is on a RS. He isn't an effective runner at all. Lamar Jackson is a good runner.

wrong lamar jackson is an electric and terrific runner, BS is a good and hard nosed runner. peyton manning isnt a good runner.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I mostly agree. But I beginning to wonder if he is the wrong fit for the offense we are running. You can look at that either way, that the play calling should adjust to him, but I'm not sure the plays are the problem as much as his execution of them (along with the OL of course). On his crazy flip scramble for a 2 yard first down, Tyler Davis was open down the middle with nobody within 10 yards of him...it was, if completed, probably a TD. I admire the hell out of his toughness, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Anderson can do.

i don't necessarily disagree, im sure diaco would ideally like a game manager that can complete passes when asked to but at this time we have BS who i think can be a great QB but he is in the wrong system. he needs a OC that will capitalize on his play making ability along with capable skill position support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom