OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not obscure or forgotten, but old. (probably written sometime in the 1920's)

Recorded as "Mbube", "Wimoweh", or "The Liion Sleeps Tonight" by numerous artists. Solomon Linda, The Weavers, Pete Seeger, The Tokens, even REM.

My favorite version (I've posted it before) goes back towards the Mbube version.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Ladysmith Black Mambazo/Mint Juleps

Reaction Score
This one probably checks off 2 of the boxes - old and obscure, but not forgotten because it was never well known. That being said, I'd say its one of the very best "island" songs I've ever heard:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Really? Reached #3 on Billboard. (can't trust Spotify)

Shambala - Three Dog Night

Sorry, I lost the thread. I thought we were talking about My Maria.

Reaction Score
I thought this might be an interesting angle to take music wise. I'm sure you have a favorite song(s) that just might fit into these categories. I'll kick it off with a beautiful acoustic tune from the mid 70's by a really obscure artist by the name of Brian Friel:

Well, rotary phones, analog clocks and walking on the moon are all old, obscure and forgotten by my kids, (they may think Major Nelson and Major Healy were the 1st men on the moon)

But these guys may check all the boxes --- I tripped over them back in the '80's when I was at the Cotton Bowl during the Texas State Fair and there was a whole building dedicated to them.....there is a modern iteration of them.

Texas Light Crust Doughboys --- If you've forgotten Gene Autry, you would have forgotten them too
light crust doughboys you tube - Yahoo Video Search Results

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually Stevenson didn't write the song. Daniel Moore did. Moore actually co-wrote the other song My Maria with Stevenson also.

My favorite version of Shambala.

Shambala - Rockapella

Yes, you're correct. I liked both Rockapella and TDN's verisons, having seen TDN twice (!) back in the day. I personally prefer Stevenson's earthier, personal, less slick version than either groups. Stevenson did say however that he changed some of the song to suit himself so.....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, Moore co-wrote both songs with B.W. Stevenson. I liked both Rockapella and TDN's verisons, having seen TDN twice (!) back in the day. I personally prefer Stevenson's earthier, personal, less slick version than either groups.
Well he's not listed anywhere as the co-writer that I can see. Why are you insisting??

Even on the My Maria album of Stevenson's, Moore is listed as the writer????

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well he's not listed anywhere as the co-writer that I can see. Why are you insisting??

Even on the My Maria album of Stevenson's, Moore is listed as the writer????
Sorry, I was wrong, got it twisted, and changed my post, clearly just before your post. I thought I cleaned up nicely though.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This one probably checks off 2 of the boxes - old and obscure, but not forgotten because it was never well known. That being said, I'd say its one of the very best "island" songs I've ever heard:

Good one .thanks

Reaction Score
This one probably checks off all 3 boxes - Jack the Lad and a great little pop song form 1974- "Song Without a Band"

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Husband and wife duo that aren't household names but behind the scenes are well known in the music industry. Buddy produces, does session work as a guitarist, and was in Emmylou Harris' touring band at one point. Several of Julie's songs have been covered by other artists. They both do solo work and have collaborated together.

Julie and Buddy Miller - Broken Things

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gold - The Beaches

Thanks for this! I hadn't heard of them before. Listened to several more of their songs and an interview with the band.

edited--wow, they are playing in Seattle tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
High Flying Bird - nice soft blues/rock tune by Zephyr, a band that had some local prominence in the Denver/front range area in the 70's. Candy Givens was a great vocalist, and Tommy Bolin played with them at times to boot.

Reaction Score
A Baltimore band that "almost" made it. The peak of their career was having their song "Raised on the Radio" included in the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" soundtrack. I like this one better.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Another great voice that started with rock:

My favorite female vocalist. Could sing anything and everything. CNN is doing a documentary on her career and her illness. Cannot wait for it to be aired

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for this! I hadn't heard of them before. Listened to several more of their songs and an interview with the band.

edited--wow, they are playing in Seattle tomorrow!
They are going to be up in Nova Scotia in Aug (Rock the Hub) with a bunch of other pretty good Canadian bands.

Sheepdogs
Monster Truck
Alert the Medic
The Trews
One Bad Son
The Glorious Sons
The Lazy's
Andre Pettipas and the Giants

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's a midwestern band from back in the day. Saw them open for Foreigner back in '81/82??

He Can't Love You - Michael Stanley Band

Reaction Score
Not much into blue grass but Railroad Earth's version the the Bill Monroe song Little Rabbit Run is pretty fine. Saw them perform this a bunch of times, and they were rung out when the finished:(starts at 1:49)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is another Rayvns song that I almost forgot about. a sonic gem with great production.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom