The Official Coldplay Sucked Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official Coldplay Sucked Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Bobby, Jerry and Vince. Not Phil. Phil is a very limited singer. He can be effective in very low harmony and on a couple of his own tunes, but yeah, he cant sing.

Which reminds me. Here is my IT computer security warning of the day:

Many people are receiving emails with the Subject: "Phil Lesh singing eyes of the world.mp3"

Do not open this email.

Because it actually DOES contain Phil Lesh singing Eyes of the World.

Obviously I misremembered that line up. At the 'stick too. It's really weird driving into the city and not seeing it.
Yeah I remember the chants from the crowd, "Let Phil sing," and the response from the guys around me asking why.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love Wilco--they're probably my favorite "new" band of the last 20 years. But Tweedy ain't a performer like Bruce. Few are.

My suggestion for Wilco for the SB was admittedly tongue in cheek. And I wasn't even a big listener of their music before. But that was a band hitting on all cylinders last week, just great.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Too much of today's music is not based on music. It is all about looks and dancing. Especially for women. I don't think Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin or Janis Ian make it in this market.

But I wouldn't pick on Taylor. She's not my cup of tea but she writes music, plays music, sings and handles the business end of music better than anyone. Though she catches hell for it, I appreciate that she is also nice

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Too much of today's music is not based on music. It is all about looks and dancing. Especially for women. I don't think Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin or Janis Ian make it in this market.

Not sure I agree. It's not black and white. Adel or somebody like Elle King aren't exactly winning Hawaiian tropics bikini contests, and they are killing it. They got serious musical chops.

There's a large bubble gum pop audience for sure, but great musicians still thrive.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
There are exceptions like Adelle. But the emphasis on looks and dancing is stronger than it has ever been. Damn Brady started it all.

Reaction Score
Bobby, Jerry and Vince. Not Phil. Phil is a very limited singer. He can be effective in very low harmony and on a couple of his own tunes, but yeah, he cant sing.

Which reminds me. Here is my IT computer security warning of the day:

Many people are receiving emails with the Subject: "Phil Lesh singing eyes of the world.mp3"

Do not open this email.

Because it actually DOES contain Phil Lesh singing Eyes of the World.

Are you sure that's actually the Dead? I heard about a band that was in Middletown a couple weeks ago and this may be them?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My suggestion for Wilco for the SB was admittedly tongue in cheek. And I wasn't even a big listener of their music before. But that was a band hitting on all cylinders last week, just great.
If you haven't listened to them much before, I'd suggest starting with their first album, A.M., which I still think is their best.

I am liking their latest one, Star Wars (which they played in its entirety to start the show) more and more, the more I hear it. I think I initially thought less of it because they gave it away for free at first, but as I've heard the cuts on my iPod, on the radio (on the Loft on Sirius) and listened to the whole album again a few times warming up for that show, I started appreciate it as a very good group of songs with a nice flow, if a little short.

Reaction Score
Every generation says the music of today sucks compared to theirs. I happen to agree re this generation, but I'm only proving my point! The only time I think music got better was the grunge / garage band movement of the '90s. I can't wait until that stuff goes retro.

Part of it is the grumpiness of getting older, but another part is that you only remember the good music and forget the crap that was probably more popular. On the whole, I'm not sure the early '90s were any better than now with regard to what was popular. Great alternative music, but that wasn't being played over Technotronic and C&C Music Factory.

Since this is totally stream of consciousness, another problem is the lack of radio alternatives. I'm not a fan of Sirius / XM, and radio options in NY are hip hop, R&B, or pop. I remember as a kid switching stations and catching the same song on two stations. I thought it was weird and kind of cool. Now that happens every day. I have Apple Music, and there are some great playlists, but I haven't played with it enough to get efficient at finding good stuff.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'll take the best 10 to 20 groups/artists from 1968 and you can pick any other year in another era. Not even close.

Other than that snobbery, popular music is too often too synthetic and too commercial, too focused on looks and dance. There are talented people out there. But they can't break through

Reaction Score
I'll take the best 10 to 20 groups/artists from 1968 and you can pick any other year in another era. Not even close.

Other than that snobbery, popular music is too often too synthetic and too commercial, too focused on looks and dance. There are talented people out there. But they can't break through

YOU KIDS GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!! *shakes fist*

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Every generation says the music of today sucks compared to theirs. I happen to agree re this generation, but I'm only proving my point! The only time I think music got better was the grunge / garage band movement of the '90s. I can't wait until that stuff goes retro.

Part of it is the grumpiness of getting older, but another part is that you only remember the good music and forget the crap that was probably more popular. On the whole, I'm not sure the early '90s were any better than now with regard to what was popular. Great alternative music, but that wasn't being played over Technotronic and C&C Music Factory.

Main part of the problem is all rock music is inherently derivative now. When rock was 'new', it was mind boggling and bending, consciousness expanding.

Think about Jimi Hendrix introducing (and killing) feedback. Lot's of guys play that way now, but it's not revolutionary. Only sometimes does it perk your ears when guys are so good you are forced to listen, eg Frusciante/Slovak. Think about the Stones integrating Blues (black music) into Rock (relatively new itself) and leading the charge on a new sound and culture. Along with truly controversial--for the time--lyrics (Black Sugar). The emergence of street concious rap in the 80s and gangster rap in the early 90s is in the same vein. And Phish will always be a bit derivative of The Dead in a way, because that particular culture was already there for them to tap into.

Society and culture has evolved to the point where there isn't much revolutionary stuff happening, only incremental. And this is totally exemplified and reflected in the music world. You can find great musicians, but rarely can you find revolutionary music.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think you're assuming that the music you see at the Grammy's reflects the universe of music being made these days. That's just not true. There are a ton of great artists across all genres who just don't get played on Top 40 radio.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think you're assuming that the music you see at the Grammy's reflects the universe of music being made these days. That's just not true. There are a ton of great artists across all genres who just don't get played on Top 40 radio.

There is. You just have to hunt a lot harder. Which is weird in the age of tech, because everything else is supposed to be easy!

The way we consume music has changed. There is no more FM radio worth a damn. Sattelite Radio not much better. There are no individual DJ's willing (and able) to spin a Deep Cut off an Album you havent heard. Christ there are no ALBUMS anymore (well that is not a focus anyway). Music consumption these days is like grazing a buffet. You pick a song you want to hear off a streaming service or youtube or you download single tracks off Itunes. In the past you heard a catchy song, you bought the album and because you bought the album you were invested into digging deeper in the music than just the initial tune you liked. You were exposed to different material on the Radio stations. because nobody had CD's, phones, mp3 players to play what they wanted. You were lucky if you had a cassette deck, and even if you did, you still spent alot of time on the dial getting exposed to new stuff.

Its just different now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There is. You just have to hunt a lot harder. Which is weird in the age of tech, because everything else is supposed to be easy!

Not so weird, all it did was open up the options to infinity. There was a million bands before, and a million bands now. The difference now is that all these bands have equal footing (given internet distribution and semi-pro sound quality from your garage).

You'll never have guys producing albums via tape recorder a la Keith Richards. Much to the degradation of music in general.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sattelite Radio not much better. There are no individual DJ's willing (and able) to spin a Deep Cut off an Album you havent heard. Christ there are no ALBUMS anymore (well that is not a focus anyway).
The Loft on Sirius is the exception to the rule. Especially Meg Griffin's show, but Mike Marrone and Franny Thomas are both excellent in this regard as well. They always talk about new artists and albums, rather than tracks. And they go several tracks deep into all of them.

Reaction Score
The Loft on Sirius is the exception to the rule. Especially Meg Griffin's show, but Mike Marrone and Franny Thomas are both excellent in this regard as well. They always talk about new artists and albums, rather than tracks. And they go several tracks deep into all of them.
Am I the only one that can't stand the sound quality of satellite? We've had it in three cars now. Two Acuras where the sound quality is sub-par to FM, and a BMW where the sound quality is unlistenable compared to FM. It is so compressed and sterile sounding. I'm not sure why the Acuras are (slightly) better than the BMW, but both are worse than streaming Apple Music/Pandora.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
LOL at all you people listening to Digital compression algorithms in your cars.
Get a load of my car, noobs. Warm, sweet analog.

c173553c5202.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
LOL at all you people listening to Digital compression algorithms in your cars.
Get a load of my car, noobs. Warm, sweet analog.

c173553c5202.jpg

That's poor people sh_t. Any gentleman about town is rocking the Auto Mignon.

ea903a8225969c9005aef89523606efb.jpg

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I agree! And I think that is what I said

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Joplin, Led Zeppelin.Dylan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Who, Traffic, Cream/Eric Clapton, Credence, Marvin Gaye, Otis Reading, Carol King, Stevie Wonder, Simon and Garfunkel. CSN&Y, Van Morrison and Miles Davis.

That's off the top of my head. You think your generation beats that line-up? It was a great era. I was glad to be there.
Like the 1950s in baseball. In NY there were hree teams, great players, Players were with a team for their career. Half a buck to see a game. Fortunately, I missed that or I would be really old. But I have to admit it was the golden age of baseball.
And the late 60s/early seventies were the golden age of Rock and Roll. Every era doesn't get a trophy for showing up
.And the late 70s sucked even though you could still find good stuff

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Joplin, Led Zeppelin.Dylan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Who, Traffic, Cream/Eric Clapton, Credence, Marvin Gaye, Otis Reading, Carol King, Stevie Wonder, Simon and Garfunkel. CSN&Y, Van Morrison and Miles Davis.

That's off the top of my head. You think your generation beats that line-up? It was a great era. I was glad to be there.
Like the 1950s in baseball. In NY there were hree teams, great players, Players were with a team for their career. Half a buck to see a game. Fortunately, I missed that or I would be really old. But I have to admit it was the golden age of baseball.
And the late 60s/early seventies were the golden age of Rock and Roll. Every era doesn't get a trophy for showing up
.And the late 70s sucked even though you could still find good stuff

As I said above, there will never be another era like that, because they were in the right place at the right time. Same as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, as Malcom Gladwell says in Outliers. Right time and right place in history.

Everything in rock from here on out is derivative. And technology and the fall of the mighty record industry has rendered that era unique.

That originality, fostered by necessity as no one prior had blazed the trails, led to amazing output, new paths taken, iconic records, etc. Bands were 'forced' to be great. Now, they just sort of copy other people (influentially speaking). A new sound is really, really hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom